Inside Out

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: Pete Docter's "Inside Out" (June 19, 2015)

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

I'm really digging the design of Fear. ^_^
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLD4KpSsAY0[/youtube]

This isn't meant to be rude, but I think she's the perfect voice for Sadness. :wink:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I thought that was her. Y'know, this entire movie seems to be type cast.

But yeah, the Office really boosted her career. Didn't she start out in casting?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Unrelated to Pixar, but has anyone seen this short yet? The subject feels a little familiar. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuyB7NO0EYY[/youtube]

Once again I'm reminded of Disney's much earlier Reason and Emotion.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

The ending... rotfl

The main difference between this and Reason and Emotion is Disney's story only emphasizes what happens when emotion goes overboard. But to good effect when applied to wartime propoganda. This one shows how neither "reason" or "emotion" can function well without the other; they need each other to balance things out.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Warm Regards
Special Edition

Post by Warm Regards »

Source: http://disneypixar.tumblr.com/post/7576 ... f-our-next
Take a peek inside the recording booth of our next film, #InsideOut with @mindykaling. #ReGram
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Warm Regards wrote:Source: http://disneypixar.tumblr.com/post/7576 ... f-our-next
Take a peek inside the recording booth of our next film, #InsideOut with @mindykaling. #ReGram
These 2 have got to be related some how 8)
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Not confirmed, but there's a rumor that Kelly Osbourne will have a role.

http://www.fashionnstyle.com/articles/1 ... de-out.htm
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

is this film gonna be set in the 1950's? She has a very 50's look.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disneyphile wrote:Not confirmed, but there's a rumor that Kelly Osbourne will have a role.

But seriously, keep that pre-Kardashian trash away. :headshake:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

unprincess wrote:is this film gonna be set in the 1950's? She has a very 50's look.
I agree, the logo also has a vintage vibe.

If not, they'll go for a difficult to place retro vibe like The Incredibles, which looked like it took place in a high-tech 1960s.

Which I like.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:But seriously, keep that pre-Kardashian trash away. :headshake:
At least, the Kardashians aren't in it :huh: :huh: :huh:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disneyphile wrote:Not confirmed, but there's a rumor that Kelly Osbourne will have a role.
I highly doubt that Kelly Osbourne will have a role in Inside Out. First of all, the cast has already been announced. If she was involved, we would have known since D23. Second, there's nothing in her Instagram message indicating she's involved with the film. How the writer of the article jumped to that conclusion, I'll never know. Here's what she actually said:
Kelly Osbourne wrote:Going over my scripts in the studio. Doing voice over recordings is becoming one of my favorite jobs! I get to sing and do all different accents, I can't wait to share it with everyone! #disney
Source: http://instagram.com/p/ksLEPQAb81

Considering that she's doing many different accents for this role and singing (and that she said Disney instead of Pixar), leads me to believe she's not working on a feature but a TV series. The fact she has worked before for Disney Television Animation by hosting the "Phineas and Ferb Musical Cliptastic Countdown" and that her mother voices Mama Hook in Jake and the Never Land Pirates supports this theory.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Ed Catmull wrote:To get a clearer sense of how candor is delivered at Pixar, I want to take you inside a Braintrust meeting. This one followed an early screening of a Pete Docter film, then known as The Untitled Pixar Movie That Takes You Inside the Mind. [It's now called Inside Out, and is scheduled for release in 2015.] As Braintrusts go, this was a crowded one, with about 20 people at the table and 15 more in chairs against the walls. Everyone grabbed plates of food on the way in and, after a little small talk, got down to business.

Earlier, before the screening, Pete had described what they'd come up with so far. "What's inside the mind?" he asked his colleagues. "Your emotions--and we've worked really hard to make these characters look the way those emotions feel. We have our main character, an emotion called Joy, who is effervescent. She literally glows when she's excited. Then we have Fear. He thinks of himself as confident and suave, but he's a little raw nerve and tends to freak out. The other characters are Anger, Sadness--her shape is inspired by teardrops--and Disgust, who basically turns up her nose at everything. And all these guys work at what we call Headquarters."

That got a laugh, as did many scenes in the 10-minute preview that followed. Everyone agreed that the movie had the potential to be, like Pete's previous film Up, among our most original and affecting. But there seemed to be a consensus that one key scene--an argument between two characters about why certain memories fade while others burn bright forever--was too minor to sufficiently connect audiences to the film's profound ideas.

Midway down the table, Brad Bird shifted in his chair. Brad joined Pixar in 2000, after having written and directed The Iron Giant at Warner Bros. His first movie for us was The Incredibles, which opened in 2004. Brad is a born rebel who fights against creative conformity in any guise. So it was no surprise that he was among the first to articulate his worries. "I understand that you want to keep this simple and relatable," he told Pete, "but I think we need something that your audience can get a little more invested in."

Andrew Stanton spoke next. Andrew is fond of saying that people need to be wrong as fast as they can. In a battle, if you're faced with two hills and you're unsure which one to attack, he says, the right course of action is to hurry up and choose. If you find out it's the wrong hill, turn around and attack the other one. Now he seemed to be suggesting that Pete and his team had stormed the wrong hill. "I think you need to spend more time settling on the rules of your imagined world," he said.

In Pete's film, one of the rules--at least at this point--was that memories (depicted as glowing glass globes) were stored in the brain by traveling through a maze of chutes into a kind of archive. When retrieved or remembered, they'd roll back down another tangle of chutes, like bowling balls being returned to bowlers at the alley. That construct was elegant and effective, but Andrew suggested that another rule needed to be clarified: how memories and emotions change over time, as the brain gets older. This was the moment in the film, Andrew said, to establish some key themes. Listening to this, I remembered how in Toy Story 2, the addition of Wheezy helped establish the idea that damaged toys could be discarded, left to sit, unloved, on the shelf. Andrew felt there was a similar opportunity here. "Pete, this movie is about the inevitability of change," he said. "And of growing up."

This set Brad off. "A lot of us in this room have not grown up--and I mean that in the best way," he said. "The conundrum is how to become mature and become reliable while at the same time preserving your childlike wonder. People have come up to me many times, as I'm sure has happened to many people in this room, and said, ‘Gee, I wish I could be creative like you. That would be something, to be able to draw.' But I believe that everyone begins with the ability to draw. Kids are instinctively there. But a lot of them unlearn it. Or people tell them they can't or it's impractical. So yes, kids have to grow up, but maybe there's a way to suggest that they could be better off if they held on to some of their childish ideas.

"Pete, I want to give you a huge round of applause: This is a frickin' big idea to try to make a movie about," Brad continued, his voice full of affection. "I've said to you on previous films, ‘You're trying to do a triple backflip into a gale force wind, and you're mad at yourself for not sticking the landing. Like, it's amazing you're alive.' This film is the same. So, huge round of applause." Everyone clapped. Then Brad added, "And you're in for a world of hurt."

An important corollary to the assertion that the Braintrust must be candid is that filmmakers must be ready to hear the truth; candor is only valuable if the person on the receiving end is open to it and willing, if necessary, to let go of things that don't work. Jonas Rivera, the producer of Pete's film, tries to make that painful process easier by "headlining" the main points of a Braintrust session--distilling the many observations down to a digestible takeaway. Once this meeting wrapped up, this is what he did for Pete, ticking off the areas that seemed the most problematic, reminding him of the scenes that resonated most. "So what do we blow up?" Jonas asked. "And what do you love? Is what you loved about the film different now than it was when we started?" "The way the movie opens," Pete responded, "I love." Jonas raised his hand in a salute. "Okay, that's the movie, then," he said. "How we set up the story has to handshake with that." "I agree," Pete said. They were on their way.
Source: http://www.fastcompany.com/3027135/insi ... braintrust
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘Inside Out': Pixar's Brainy Family Flick Dazzles at CinemaCon
http://www.thewrap.com/inside-pixars-in ... cinemacon/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:‘Inside Out': Pixar's Brainy Family Flick Dazzles at CinemaCon
http://www.thewrap.com/inside-pixars-in ... cinemacon/
Looks like Pixar will be back on track. There will be a definitive feud between Disney and Pixar from now on, now that Disney aren't the inferior company anymore!
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Yeah, sounds like Pixar is coming back with this! And with Good Dinosaur and Finding Dory (a obvious blockbuster), they can only enjoy their glory until Cars 3 rotfl
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The film that Docter is currently working on, Inside Out, which will be out in June 2015, follows this concept, as it takes place in the mind of an 11-year-old girl. She’s the setting and the characters are her emotions.

“It’s pretty fun because we get to go to places like Dream Production, where your dreams are created and Long-term Memory, where millions of your memories are stored,” Docter said. “Places that I think everyone has thought about, but no one has really seen before. I’m hoping that it will be kind of new, but also feel somewhat familiar to people.”

Docter said that like any artist, an animator tries to absorb life and details and capture that in his work.

“Even though this is animation, light and funny for kids, I try to put some of my own experience in there so that when people watch it they go, oh yeah, that’s the way I feel,” Docter said.
Source: http://tphnews.com/2014/04/doctor-outli ... big-screen
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Post by Disneyphile »

Pixar fans still have about a year to wait until the studio’s new movie Inside Out hits theaters, but this morning Disney released a full plot synopsis of the project.

The film, directed by Monsters Inc. and Up director Pete Docter, will take place inside the mind of Riley, an 11-year-old girl. According to Pixar.com, the plot centers on the emotions that guide her life: Joy (Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith).
http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/201 ... t-revealed
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

A little bit more information:
Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it’s no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions – Joy (Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith). The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley’s mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, turmoil ensues in Headquarters. Although Joy, Riley’s main and most important emotion, tries to keep things positive, the emotions conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school.”
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/insid ... 201192931/