DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Disney Princess Voices
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I don't know if anyone will be able to help me on this, but it's been bugging me for a while, and I thought I'd try here! Here it goes!

Here are all of the original Disney Princess voices:

Snow White - Adriana Caselotti

Cinderella - Illene Woods

Princess Aurora - Mary Costa

Ariel - Jodi Benson

Belle - Paige O'Hara

Jasmine - Linda Larkin (speaking), Lea Salonga (singing)

Pocahontas and Mulan are generally featured as Princesses, but these two are not the ones I want to focus on so muc. (I still love them though!)

Now, as the Disney Princess line is so popular, it is obvious that they would one day revisit the old classics, like Cinderella, Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty. But, obviously, the leading lady voices have become too old to carry on their famous counter parts, and they have to be given to a new generation of women voice over actors. This is where I have become immensly confused.

It appears that on different occassions, different voices fill in for different parts. Snow White has been replaced, and as the voices are not credited, it is immpossible to tell who it is. But, it appears that whoever the replacement is, has doe all voiceover work that Snow White has been required to do. By this I mean the Princess DVD line, including "A Christmas of Enchantment", and all songs that are required to be sung. The CD I'm using as an example is the Disney Princess Christmas album, which Snow White features on.

Cinderella is a different matter entirely. Jennifer Hale has replaced Illene Woods, and I personally think she is a wonderful replacement. She has featured in 'House of Mouse', Cinderella II, the upcoming Cinderella III, and on Disney merchendise as well. But who provides her singing voice? On the 'If you can Dream' song, there is another woman playing Cinderella's voice, I'm sure of it. And it sounds dreadful. Then, on The Christmas CD, it is a different voice which sounds lovely, much more like Illene Woods. Also on the track 'Every Girl Can be a Princess', it is the same woman. Is this Jennifer Hale?? I'm not too sure, but it sounds great all the same. As I'm in the UK, I havnt got 'A Christmas of Enchantment' yet, but I watched the trailer, and it appears to be a different woman singing for Cinderella again! And the song 12 days of christmas is different from the one featured on the Xmas CD.

Here is a link to watch the trailers:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0766235/trailers

Jennifer Hale is also credited as playing Princess Aurora on the house of mouse TV series. Is she playing her in the upcoming 'Kingdom of Kindness'?? On the Xmas CD, it certainly doesnt sound like Jennifer Hale, but again from the trailer you will see that the 12 days of chritmas is different from the CD version, and I think her voice sounds better, whoever she is, on the DVD.

Ariel has always been played by Jodi Benson, and I'm sure she will continue to do so.

Belle has always been played by Paige o'Hara, but on the Xmas CD she has been replaced by Susan Eagan. I thought this would be Belle's new voice, but again, on the Enchantement DVD, Paige is back and singing 12 days of xmas, and doing all the voice work. was sh ejust not availible to do the CD??? hmmmmmm.......plus she is back for the "Kingdom of Kindness" DVD.

Lea Salonga and Linda Larkin always come back as well.

Here is a link to the Xmas CD, so you can compare:
http://www.disneypromises.com/index2.htm

If you put the If you can Dream CD into your computer, they come up with a list of the artists. These are the ones I don't know: Susie Stevens Logan and Christie Houser. Anyone know them??

So, can you see my point?? I'm an avid fan of everything to do with Disney Princesses, and I think it would be fair of Disney if they credited their Disney Princess women in the work that they do. Disney characters are defined by their voice, and for us to get used to them, Disney shouldnt go changing them all the time! Sorry to go on so long, but I've wanted to ask this for a while! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:56 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I think Snow White is voiced by Carolyn Gardner. At least she is in House of Mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:22 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I can't find any infor on her either!!!

Why oh why won't Disney credit them?!?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:26 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Because they hate you! :lol: Actually, what I would do is, if all else fails, try writing a letter to the Walt Disney Archives, see if maybe that can help. I sent some information there a few times myself.

Post subject: Cinderella's New Voice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

First of all, atlanticaunderthesea, I just wanted to say thank you for your love and loyalty in The Little Mermaid III thread, when you said you believed my article and all that. I love you too, as a fellow forum friend!

Anyway, I don't have much to tell, but I know for sure that Jennifer Hale will be in Cinderella III, but what's probably more news for you:

Tami Tappan will be the singing voice of Cinderella, and she sang for Cinderella on "The Princess Tea Party Album", meaning that she sang "Every Girl Can Be A Princess" in that music video on the Cinderella DVD, since that song is from the album. I found this here.

So I think that answers at least one question! :D

Last edited by Disney Duster on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Oh my goodness!!! !!! I love love love love you as a forum friend even more now!!!! That has indeed settled one of my trains of thought! Well, we now know that Cinderella DOES have a different singing voice!! I can't believe I'm so happy with this info youve given me!! How sad am I.......?!?!?!?

Anywho, I thought I'd update the new Disney Princess voice list:

Snow White - Carolyn Gardener

Cinderella - Jennifer Hale (speaking)/ Tami Tappan (singing)

Princess Aurora - Jennifer Hale (speaking)/ ????? (singing)

and the rest are the same!!!!!

hmmmmmmmmm this is really intriguing now-----so we can assume that Jennifer has never done the singing for any Cinderella products. I'm still not gonna give up the search!!!

Thanks for your help disney duster! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:02 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I don't know if Jennifer Hale really did voice Aurora on House of Mouse, but I'm almost positive that another woman has voiced Aurora in talking merchandise and enchanted calls. Whoever does Aurora's voice for those products sounds amazingly like Mary Costa, but seems way too different to be Jennifer (then again, she's a very good voice artist). I can't comment on her House of Mouse work, but if that's Jennifer in the upcoming Enchanted Tales, then she really needs to stick with Cinderella. Just from the Enchanted Tales trailer, I don't like Aurora's voice at all. It's not nearly deep enough. They need to use whoever voices the meranchise. If that's Jennifer and some other woman/women did Enchanted Tales, then I think Jennifer should stick with Aurora more often. She does a slightly better job imitating her than Cindy (probably because Aurora's voice is unique enough to mimic with voice acting; Cindy's is too earthy and natural to imitate).

Edit: Oh...my...gosh...I just checked out Jennifer Hale's official site and listened to some demos of her vocal work...She's the mysterious lady from Disney DVDs! The one who comments in the virtual galleries, narrates the Sleeping Beauty story outline, and hosts most DVD storybooks and set-top games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:47 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yes, Hale does voice Aurora on House of Mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:29 pm 
Collector's Edition

Thank you for the link of the CD, atlanticaunderthesea!!!!!

I've got the DVD "A Christmas of Enchantment" because I bought it last year in amazon.com

But I hadn't got the CD, so now I can compare if the songs are different or not.
Thank you!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:58 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thats ok bruno_wbt, I'm glad I could help. Tell me what you think!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:39 pm 

Hi everybody!

Since a long time I´m visiting UD and this forum, and now it´s time to go a step further and post something myself :)

And this topic is the best start for it :)

In the "Princess Tea Party Album" you can read the names of the artists who sing the songs, but unfortunately without their roles:

- Jeff Bennett
- Jodi Benson
- Corey Burton
- Tami Tappan Damiano
- Melissa Disney
- Susan Egan
- Lesley French
- Christie Houser
- Judy Kuhn
- Susie Stevens Logan
- Paige O´Hara
- Lea Salonga
- Andre Sogliuzzo

Ok, the parts of Paige, Jodi, Lea and Judy are well known, but I think Melissa Disneys part is interessting for you, too.

Melissa Disney, a distant relative of Walt Disney, is the official singing voice of Snow White in the theme parks, CDs etc.

You can read it yourself on www.melissadisney.com in the "Voice Over"-section. You´ll see it´s very obvious that she has something to do with Snow White :)

Have a nice day! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:03 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

DonDuck wrote:
Melissa Disney, a distant relative of Walt Disney, is the official singing voice of Snow White in the theme parks, CDs etc.

You can read it yourself on www.melissadisney.com in the "Voice Over"-section. You´ll see it´s very obvious that she has something to do with Snow White :)

Wow! Melissa IS related to Uncle Walt?!? I can't believe it! And all this time, I thought Snow White was voiced either by Carolyn Gardner or Russi Taylor. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:10 pm 
Limited Edition

When I was listening to the Princess Christmas Album, the characters on that CD was sung by the following:

Cinderella - Tami Tappan for "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" and "I'm Giving Love For Christmas"

Belle - Paige O'Hara for "The Christmas Waltz" and "Holidays at Home"

Snow White - Carolyn Gardener for "A Holly Jolly Christmas" and "The Night Before Christmas"

Ariel - Jodi Benson for "Ariel's Christmas Island" and "Christmas In the Ocean"

Aurora - Unknown for "Christmas With My Prince"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:13 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

It is NOT Paige O'hara as Belle, it is deffo Susan Eagan. Trust me on this!!!

Wow!! can't belive Mellisa is Snow White's singing voice!! Very cool!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:22 am 
Limited Edition

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
It is NOT Paige O'hara as Belle, it is deffo Susan Eagan. Trust me on this!!!

Wow!! can't belive Mellisa is Snow White's singing voice!! Very cool!!

I was wrong on that one, Susan Eagan did Belle and Snow White on a few Christmas songs. The two Christmas songs are not sung by Paige O'Hara, so Susan called the shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:50 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Ummm I dont mean to sound rude, but Susan did not play Snow White, as we have just discovered that she was played by Melissa Disney!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:45 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

DonDuck wrote:
Hi everybody!

Since a long time I´m visiting UD and this forum, and now it´s time to go a step further and post something myself :)

And this topic is the best start for it :)

In the "Princess Tea Party Album" you can read the names of the artists who sing the songs, but unfortunately without their roles:

- Jeff Bennett
- Jodi Benson
- Corey Burton
- Tami Tappan Damiano
- Melissa Disney
- Susan Egan
- Lesley French
- Christie Houser
- Judy Kuhn
- Susie Stevens Logan
- Paige O´Hara
- Lea Salonga
- Andre Sogliuzzo

Ok, the parts of Paige, Jodi, Lea and Judy are well known, but I think Melissa Disneys part is interessting for you, too.

Hi there! A Belated welcome!

Right, I've had some time to look up all of the names you have listed. So, I've got the info on who they MIGHT be singing the part for on the CD.

Jeff Bennet ~ Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast

Jodi Benson ~ Ariel (deffo) from The Little Mermaid

Corey Burton ~ Gus from Cinderella, Grumpy from Snow White

Tami Tappan Damiano ~ Singing voice of Cinderella

Melissa Disney ~ Singing voice of Snow White

Susan Egan ~ Megera from Hercules

I've got to get to class now, but I'll carry on with this later. Anyone else can look them up as well! Soon, hopefully, we wil have a full and deffinitive list!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:50 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Who sings as Belle on the Disney Princess Tea Party album??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:47 am 
Collector's Edition

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:

Hi there! A Belated welcome!

Right, I've had some time to look up all of the names you have listed. So, I've got the info on who they MIGHT be singing the part for on the CD.

Jeff Bennet ~ Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast

Jodi Benson ~ Ariel (deffo) from The Little Mermaid

Corey Burton ~ Gus from Cinderella, Grumpy from Snow White

Tami Tappan Damiano ~ Singing voice of Cinderella

Melissa Disney ~ Singing voice of Snow White

Susan Egan ~ Megera from Hercules

Megara is included as a Disney Princess? That's great. If only there was more merchandise of her, she's so great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:35 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Al from Ag; I don't think that Meg is a Princess. Well, shes not an 'official' princess. She is only really used to fill out Disney Princess CD's, with her song "I Won't Say (I'm In Love)". Which is a shame, as I LOVE her. Personally, I think she is one of the best female Disney characters, and horribly under used.

I got this from Wikipedia:

Disney Princesses are fictional characters who have been featured as part of the Disney character line-up. However, usually only one Disney Princess has appeared in each Disney animated film. The main six are: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, and Jasmine, all of whom have royal title by marriage or birth. Recently, Mulan and Pocahontas have been included as princesses, despite having neither character being a "real" princess (Pocahontas, however, could be considered to a princess, given that she is the chieftain's daughter).

Despite each being from different films, all the Princesses have distinct similarities. All of them are leads in their respective movies (with the exception of Princess Jasmine), all have the ability to communicate with animals (displaying a sign of goodness towards all creatures), all have beautiful singing voices, and all have a love interest that is resolved at the end of their movies. The first three (Snow White, Cinderella, and Aurora) are victims of misfortune until their happy endings; the others (whose movies were created in the late 20th century) have strong personas and seek adventure in the unknown world. Unsurprisingly, all of the Princesses are known for their beauty in both their movies and the real world.

The Walt Disney Company has released dolls, sing-a-long videos, and miniature doll castles featuring the Disney Princesses.

The Disney Princesses are also featured in the Fantasmic! Nighttime Show Spectacular in Disneyland and Disney-MGM Studios.

Apart from them but not featured in any books and videos, there are Disney Princes who are the husbands of most of the princesses

Character list
Snow White (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
Cinderella (Cinderella)
Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
Princess Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
Princess Jasmine (Aladdin)
Pocahontas (Pocahontas)
Mulan (Mulan)
On the Princess Collection 2 CD songs by Meg (Hercules), Maid Marian (Robin Hood) and Nala (The Lion King) are included as well.

Controversy over the term
One major criticism of the Disney Princess line is that Mulan is not a princess as she is neither being born or having married into royalty. Mulan does not become a princess at any point since her love interest is not a member of royalty. Similarly, most "Disney Princess" material relating to Belle depicts her world as it was before the Beast became human and, thus, before she was, presumably, married to him.

Similarly, Princess Eilonwy (The Black Cauldron) and Princess Kida (Atlantis: The Lost Empire) are excluded from the line, despite both being real princesses. The main reason for this is the fact that both Atlantis: The Lost Empire and The Black Cauldron were critical failures and therefore not popular to both consumers' and Disney's eyes. Princess Tiger Lily (Peter Pan) is also excluded, possibly because she provides competition for Wendy. Lastly, Megara (Meg), the wife of Hercules, is not included. Though not portrayed as one in Disney’s Hercules, in mythology Megara is the princess of Thebes. In any case she is the wife of a son of King Zeus, which would seem equal to the status of a princess.

Some people believe that any of the female characters from the movies could be a princess in terms that they were saved or aided by they're very own prince charming, but mostly this might be just an excuse of the fans for wanting characters that are not princesses in the toyline. Also another reason for some people to believe that any female character of Disney could be a princess is that they think the term is used to describe Disney's cherished ones, like a father's daughter is his princess.

I know Wikipedia isn't always reliable, but I thought this was interesting anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next