Jodi Benson Homophobic

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

The timing of this topic is a really strange coincidence, for me at least. I just heard the story about the girl in this video yesterday from another member of this forum who knows her.

When I got home last night I looked up "Jodi Benson homophobic" online to see if there were any other people who claimed to have had homophobic encounters with Jodi and found the video linked above as well as the thread on IMDB linked by another member. Then today I log onto the forum and see this topic. Interesting. Very interesting.

I'll have to echo the sentiment shared by the majority of the forum members here, very disappointed in Jodi. Also not that surprised. I imagine a large portion of her fan-base consist of gay males like myself. I wonder if this will have any affect on how the majority of Disney community views/regards her in the future.

By the way, I have always been a FAR bigger fan of Ursula. Now I'll have a whole new level of amusement while watching the sea witch trick and manipulate that naive little mermaid over and over and over...
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Blah, like someone already mentioned. I already confirmed it was true. Or rather, what happened to this girl was true. None the less... I am still a gay Jodi fan.... :lol:
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

Poody wrote: I am still a gay Jodi fan.... :lol:
You're just a nicer person than I am. :lol:
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Believe me, at first it was a big slap in the face. I am somewhat less of a fan nowadays, but I still enjoy all her "talents." :P
leo_brasil

Post by leo_brasil »

Disney Duster, I mean that because she mentions Jesus too much, it looks like she is a kind of fanatic religious person, which probably means that she doesn't like gay people.
About Ilene, although no one has proofs, it is a completely different case. If Ilene wasn't a gay friendly, let's face it, she was a 50's girl, she hasn't grown up with all that 70's and 80's gay movements, in her time it wasn't a thing acceptable at all... which doesn't mean she couldn't like'em, but if she didn't t it wasn't be that harsh...
And, although Cinderella being my second favorite princess (the first one is Ariel), she doesn't represent gays as much as Ariel, you know, Ariel had to go agaisnt her father's wish to live the love of her life and live in a world which suits her, and that's all about gay people, they need to live a hidden life for a while, but there is a point when they need to go against their parantes wish and break that wall (the ocean surface in Ariel's case)... if only Jodi knew how much Ariel means to gay people... but she's too blind with all that religious stuff..
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

This topic is interesting. When I was in college for animation, I heard more than once that if one wanted to work for Disney, one should be either gay, or a religious nut. It was a joke, but Im sure half based in reality.

I dont like homophobia, but I cant say Im shocked to read about Jodi. Im not a big fan of hers, but I appreciate the good job she did on TLM. And she is entitled to her opinions, as long as she isnt hurting anyone with them. Lets face it: she isnt shouting her views off of the rooftops.

I feel bad for her kids though, who are learning str8 from her.
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

Marce82 wrote: And she is entitled to her opinions, as long as she isnt hurting anyone with them. Lets face it: she isnt shouting her views off of the rooftops.
I am sure that girl, obviously a huge fan (She bought a tail from the mertailor! lol. That is awesome) felt very hurt by hearing that from her.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Marce82 wrote:This topic is interesting. When I was in college for animation, I heard more than once that if one wanted to work for Disney, one should be either gay, or a religious nut. It was a joke, but Im sure half based in reality.
I always think it's bizarre how Disney attracts opposing types like that. :lol: Thankfully, Hunchback through TP&TF has scared off a lot of the nuts, who're content to strike against Disney films (along with everything else in existence). :D
I feel bad for her kids though, who are learning str8 from her.
I always feel that way, too, but Benson doesn't seem extreme about it at least. I think that more about people like Michele Bachmann, who have all those foster children. How sad that they have to grow up with a lunatic.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

magicalwands wrote:If my friends do drugs, I disagree with their actions but that is their choice. We were put on this earth to love so attraction is natural. Being gay is not a choice. My friends CHOSE to do drugs. There is a difference. And anyone who tries to resist love will know it is torture and will make anyone just down right miserable.

Having a friend thinking homosexuality is wrong is like having a friend who hates me for my brown eyes.
Perhaps I should have said, when you have a friend who dates, or marries, someone you don't like, but even though you tell them you don't approve of them dating them, you let them. When you marry someone, it is kinda not a choice because you feel you have to be with them, true love or soul mates, well, for some people anyway. Does Jodi really have to personally believe it's right if she's still friends with gay people?
Disney Geek wrote:My respect for Jodi hasn't grown at all. She might choose to be a Christian (and a homophobe), but a gay person doesn't choose to be gay :x
Saying people choose to be Christian and it's not the same is rather loose. Some people are so strong in their beliefs, they feel they have no other choice but to believe it, because they think it is right and the truth.

leo_brasil, I can kinda see what you mean and agree about Ilene Woods, though I did mean if I told Ilene why I'm gay and it's not a choice and if she still didn't believe me like Jodi. Someday someone needs to get Jodi to realize why it is true God made them gay...

But I did have one more thing, and that is that I do also see Cinderella as relating to gays, maybe not as much as Ariel, but close. First, she does want to look good and stay out all night dancing, especially with a hot guy, so that's very gay, lol, but more than that, I see her stepfamily trying to keep her from the ball, and later her stepmother keeping her locked from the prince, as relating to gays trying to be stopped from being kept from who they are or who they love. And Cinderella actually does stand up for herself and say she should go to the ball, and then agrees to do chores to be able to go. So I see that as saying she has a right to be recognized as good as them and get what she wants. And she kind of does that when she's going to get dressed to try on the slipper but she's dreaming then so it counts less but the first one counts lol.
Marce82 wrote:This topic is interesting. When I was in college for animation, I heard more than once that if one wanted to work for Disney, one should be either gay, or a religious nut.
Then I must be lucky since I'm kinda both! Well, I'm not a nut but people here would like to call me a nut, those meanies. Some other people here should be about both, too... I also feel bad for Jodi's kids, though.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Disney Duster wrote:Perhaps I should have said, when you have a friend who dates, or marries, someone you don't like, but even though you tell them you don't approve of them dating them, you let them.
Disapproval of the person your friend is dating based on their personality is okay. But, that is totally different than if you do not like your friend dating someone of the same sex.

If your friend Daisy dates a guy named Matt who is disrespectful, you CAN dislike him because of his attitude because that is how he CHOOSES to be. But if Daisy starts dating a girl named Lucy, you CANNOT disapprove of that because they did not choose to be that way. You can't hate on someone for something they can't change about themselves.
Disney Duster wrote:Does Jodi really have to personally believe it's right if she's still friends with gay people?
Why would you be friends with someone who doesn't think you're pretty enough or thin enough or not straight enough?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

DisneyDuster wrote:Then I must be lucky since I'm kinda both! Well, I'm not a nut but people here would like to call me a nut, those meanies. Some other people here should be about both, too
I agree, society as a whole needs to learn how to be more tolerant.

You've raised an interesting point about religion and homosexuality; I wonder what Jodi Benson would say or think if one of her own children was gay. I am neither gay nor religious so I can't say I understand the conflict in emotions that they can cause but when all is said and done, an individual is perfectly entitled to be anything they want to be if it makes them happy. If Jodi Benson did say what this girl claims then she has, I think she has shown a lot of ignorance here.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote: You've raised an interesting point about religion and homosexuality; I wonder what Jodi Benson would say or think if one of her own children was gay. I am neither gay nor religious so I can't say I understand the conflict in emotions that they can cause but when all is said and done, an individual is perfectly entitled to be anything they want to be if it makes them happy. If Jodi Benson did say what this girl claims then she has, I think she has shown a lot of ignorance here.
Well, she also said her brother is gay. She said she prays for him also. :headshake:
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Poody wrote:Well, she also said her brother is gay. She said she prays for him also.
I didn't know that. To be honest, I don't know enough about Jodi Benson nor this particular situation to want to label her as anything. I think she sounds very ignorant if she does say that to young fans within minutes of meeting them but that trait seems to come with religion.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Poody wrote:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote: You've raised an interesting point about religion and homosexuality; I wonder what Jodi Benson would say or think if one of her own children was gay. I am neither gay nor religious so I can't say I understand the conflict in emotions that they can cause but when all is said and done, an individual is perfectly entitled to be anything they want to be if it makes them happy. If Jodi Benson did say what this girl claims then she has, I think she has shown a lot of ignorance here.
Well, she also said her brother is gay. She said she prays for him also. :headshake:
Who said their brother is gay? The girl or Jodi?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Skellington or Sparrow
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Skellington or Sparrow »

SWillie! wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Besides, you can't hate her for not believing in homosexuality because of her faith. :) :) :)
Yes you can. Disliking a group of people because of religion is bullshit, and it's what wrong with the world. It is the world's single biggest problem.
But.. can't you see the problem in hating her and other Christians for "disliking a group of people?" You're disliking a group of people all over again. Just food for thought. Ending hate has to start somewhere.
:ears: I heart Disneyland :ears:
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Skellington or Sparrow wrote:But.. can't you see the problem in hating her and other Christians for "disliking a group of people?" You're disliking a group of people all over again. Just food for thought. Ending hate has to start somewhere.
We don't dislike them because they're Christians, we dislike them because they think homosexuality is a sin. That's not specific to all Christians. And besides, you choose to be a Christian, you can't choose your sexuality.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Choosing to be Christian is almost the same as choosing to act on being gay. You feel something inside you, you feel it's right and true, so you join that group. I wouldn't call it choosing to be Christian when you believe it's the only right, true thing. When you really believe something you believe it is fact even though it's not proven. In other words, a person may be able to know they are gay, but a Christian feels they know Christ will save them, etc.

You know, sometimes I think Jodi has to come around and not see homsexuality as a sin, but then I realize that would be making her change her beliefs when she's not hurting anyone with it and it seems wrong to say she has to change like we need to hold her down and force her.

Maybe you couldn't be friends with her, but maybe you could if all she did was think it was a sin and pray for you. What if she still did things like brought cookies over to her gay friend and his partner's housewarming? As long as she disapproves of the sin but not the sinner.
Super Aurora wrote:
Poody wrote: Well, she also said her brother is gay. She said she prays for him also. :headshake:
Who said their brother is gay? The girl or Jodi?
Yea, which is it?!
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

One of saddest things any person can say is that being gay is a choice.
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Oh and how can Ariel be homophobic? Who couldn't love Disney's gayest character, Benjamin the Manatee?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YIAIfwGbZ-4" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Super Aurora wrote: Who said their brother is gay? The girl or Jodi?
Jodi. Sorry for the confusion.