DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:34 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney is finally dusting off the Muppets for a new movie, according to Muppetcentral.com. Here's the story:

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2008/031208.shtml

Not too much is revealed about it and I don't know these guys who are writing it. I'm going to try and be optimistic, despite the last few Muppet outings, and also hope it goes to the big screen. I'll be happy if it is at least as good as Muppets From Space. I know a lot of longtime fans didn't like that one, but I did. I think their best was "The Great Muppet Caper" though, which, oddly, I still need to purchase. And, of course, "Muppets At Walt Disney World" has a special place in my heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:19 pm 
Special Edition

Hopefully it's good. The only thing I didnt like about Muppets From Space was there were no new Muppet songs and that Gonzo is an alien. I liked it better when you didnt know what he was. Hopefully this will be more like The Great Muppet Caper. Which is my favorite Muppet movie.

I also cant wait for the Fraggle Rock and Jim Henson movies. Could care less about the Dark Crystal sequel though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Hopefully in the opening scene that irritaing Mexican crab or whatever it is will be killed and forever expelled from the franchise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:37 pm 
Special Edition

He is not a crab! He is a King Prawn, okay! :P

Pepe is ok, but to much of him is annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:40 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, ha, I love their songs, but at least we didn't get any bad ones, so I won't hold that against Muppets from Space. I'll take a movie with no songs over a movie with crappy songs any day, and I liked the funky soundtrack worked into the movie. One thing I have never gotten used to though, is Kermit's post-Jim Henson voice.

As for Pepe, ha, he is good in small doses (was great in Muppets from Space), but then they tried to exploit his popularity. He was one of the worst things about Muppet Wizard of Oz, a film that should have been great but instead was a mess for so many reasons. I have mixed feelings about him in the Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. That one was a mixed bag in general though, and I am rarely a fan of Whoopi Goldberg (her scenes in the springtime-like Heaven were among the worst aspects, as they ruined the whole Christmassy mood).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:09 pm 

I never got into Muppets from Space. I've seen one or two of the things after that, but nothing really held my interest.

I love Christmas Carol and Treasure Island though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:12 pm 
Special Edition

Yeah im still not use to Kermit's new voice either. There is something off about Fozzie's new voice also. Atleast Gonzo has his original voice. Even though it has changed slightly as Dave Goelz has gotten older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

That's cool news. I'm not a major Muppet fan or anything, but I did enjoy the Christmas Carol one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:22 pm 

I love muppetcentral!!
BUT
Brian Henson really has done an AWFUL job with the Muppets! The last really great thing was the Muppets Christmas Carol
THE WORST THING IS THE NEW VOICES!!
they have no direction
trying to hard to be hip
its sad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:56 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I hope they do a good job on this and are successful with revitalizing the characters. Then, I hope they find a good company to bring back the action figure line Palisades used to do, but only if they were really good and of the same scale. I totally hate that they didn't get to do the Sesame Street figure line!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:17 pm 
Special Edition

I was dissapointed the Sesame Street line didnt get made either. Well atleast I got Super Grover. Also sad that there plans for Fraggle Rock didnt happen either. The Gobo figure looked pretty good. The Muppet series is my favorite figure line of all time. I have all of them, but 3. The Kermit and Piggy wedding set and the Dr. Teeth Con Exclusive.

A sidenote: My name is on the back of the Pigs in Space boxset. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:46 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Did they actually get the Super Grover figure out there? Was that an exclusive or something? Because I definitely need to get one. Definitely one of the ones I wanted most (other most-wanteds were, naturally, Bert and Ernie, Oscar, and Big Bird). I didn't even know they had gotten that far with planning the Fraggle figs.

I'm still lacking many of the Muppet figures. I have most of mine proudly displayed in the playsets I managed to get, Pigs in Space, the Muppet Kitchen, and the Muppet Lab. Not that I have space for it right now, but I can't wait to get the Backstage playset off Ebay someday, and the band playset with Animal (especially since I don't have an Animal figure yet). I currently have the basic Kermit and Piggy, Doctor Teeth, Fozzie as a Policeman, vacation Fozzie and vacation Pepe (Suncoast/Sam Goody variants, I believe), Beaker and Honeydew, the Pigs in Space trio, Koozbane Kermit, Frog Scout Robin, Clifford, Muppet Newsman, the basic Statler and Waldorf figs, Janice, Sam the Eagle, Treasure Island Kermit and Sam figs, Rizzo, Pepe, Beauregard, Swedish Chef, Theater Usher Scooter, Johnny Fiama, Dr. Phil Van Neuter, and one of my faves for sure, Adventure Kermit (AKA Indiana Jones Kermit from Muppets At Walt Disney World). Of course, I'm most eager to get a Gonzo, Rowlf, Sweetums, a basic Fozzie and Scooter, the rest of the Electric Mayhem Band, and then everyone else.

I was working hard a while back building up the best Muppet plush toy collection I could, but now they're coming out with those replicas of them and I wish I'd just waited, ha. They are far better than the plush toy collection I've accumulated (which consists of a Fozzie and Gonzo from DisneyWorld, a Rizzo beanie from Disney World, an Animal plush I got from Ebay, a Pepe small plush I also got from Ebay, and probably some I'm forgetting). Some of them are pretty good though. Those replica dolls are soooo expensive though. I still have some oldschool Fraggle dolls (Gobo and Sprocket), but I would like to upgrade them to the better, more recent ones someday, and also want to build up a good Sesame Street plush collection (unless they come out with replicas of those too). I only have a decent Ernie right now. Used to have a lot, including an awesome talking Big Bird from the '70's and my old Super Grover plush, but I had to get rid of them. They were beat.

Last edited by slave2moonlight on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:26 am 
Special Edition

Yeah Grover was a Con Exclusive. Like the Adventure Kermit he was available at all the Cons Palisades attended that year. He goes for an insane amount of money now though. They also released a lithograph of the art Alex Ross did for the box.

My favorite Muppet figure is The Ghost of Samuel Arrow. I bugged them too much to make him. :D

Yeah Gobo was to be a test figure. He was supposed to be a suprise figure for one of the series. If he sold well they were going to be a Fraggle series of figures. I'll look and see if I can find a pic of him.

I also collected the plush. I have so many I forget who i have. I really want to get the Photo Puppet Replicas from Master Replicas, but cant afford them at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:50 am 
Special Edition

Here is a picture of the Gobo sculpt.
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Gobo_Fraggle_Action_Figure

Other canceled Muppet figures.
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Unmade_Palisades_Toys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:27 am 

SpaceAce wrote:

The only thing I don't like about the Gobo action figure is the hair. It could probably break off since it looks so thin. We need some Fraggle Rock toys!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:08 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Man, that is a sweet looking Gobo figure! I believe the Pepe figures have similar "hair", and it's flexible enough not to break off easily.

Sad to read/see the unproduced figures! Man, Big Bird was even going to come with Little Bird! They actually remembered Little Bird! And I would have loved to have gotten a Bean Bunny figure (which strangely came with the Nurse Piggy figure; was he even around for the Muppet Show?). If I wasn't so tired though, I would probably be able to remember some other figures/playsets I really wished they would make. And I would have loved some human figures from the movies to go along with the Muppet figs. Of course, they'd have been hard to sell because they would have had to have been almost as big as a Sweetums fig. Though, they could have been paired with a Muppet each time. A Charles Grodin fig was dying to be made! And Tim Curry as Long John, and Michael Caine as Scrooge! And the Sesame Street humans would have been a must as well. That Muppet stage playset that wasn't made sounded amazing, didn't it? Yeah, I bet that Ghost of Samuel Arrow is sweet. My two Sam figures, especially my regular Samuel Arrow, are two of my favorite figs. Also, if I didn't mention it before, I think the Muppet figure line was my favorite figure line of all time too. The quality was just unbelievable.

Oh, and I thought of another that I have, Marvin Suggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:04 am 
Banned

I'm not looking forward to this Muppet movie. The problem with the Muppets has been that since Jim Henson died they seemed to have lost their heart and soul. I can't believe that the actors and Jerry Juhl weren't enough to keep them afloat but now Jerry is dead too. They need to hire a passionate Muppet fan to helm the Muppets. Only Muppet fans seem to understand them. For example, Miss Piggy was best when she was plump because she was spunky but in the 90's they slimmed her down and made her a diva. You watch the vintage Piggy and see what I mean. She wasn't a diva, the gag was she was a pig who believed she was the star. Anyway...

I have all the Muppet figures except Wizard World Dr. Teeth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:09 am 

I have high hopes for the new muppet movie. Anything with Jason Segal (Freaks annd Geaks; How I met your Mother) attached to right now, is pure gold. Here is a link to the site promoting his new movie, it INCLUDES a video of him interacting with a muppet Dracula.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uPUcaCGuiVw&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uPUcaCGuiVw&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
http://www.ihatesarahmarshall.com/

And this from cinematical,

"Apparently, this partnership with Disney came about entirely due to Marshall. In the film, Segel's character writes a Dracula musical performed by puppets. The puppets were custom made by the Henson geniuses. Segel took the chance to pitch a concept to the Muppets, and the rest will be history. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:05 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well I'm glad there starting something here and I hope its not just a TV movie but I'm a little unsure about Jason. I love him on HIMYM and in Apatow films but I'm wondering how he will handle the Muppets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:58 pm 
Special Edition

slave2moonlight wrote:
Man, that is a sweet looking Gobo figure! I believe the Pepe figures have similar "hair", and it's flexible enough not to break off easily.

Sad to read/see the unproduced figures! Man, Big Bird was even going to come with Little Bird! They actually remembered Little Bird! And I would have loved to have gotten a Bean Bunny figure (which strangely came with the Nurse Piggy figure; was he even around for the Muppet Show?). If I wasn't so tired though, I would probably be able to remember some other figures/playsets I really wished they would make. And I would have loved some human figures from the movies to go along with the Muppet figs. Of course, they'd have been hard to sell because they would have had to have been almost as big as a Sweetums fig. Though, they could have been paired with a Muppet each time. A Charles Grodin fig was dying to be made! And Tim Curry as Long John, and Michael Caine as Scrooge! And the Sesame Street humans would have been a must as well. That Muppet stage playset that wasn't made sounded amazing, didn't it? Yeah, I bet that Ghost of Samuel Arrow is sweet. My two Sam figures, especially my regular Samuel Arrow, are two of my favorite figs. Also, if I didn't mention it before, I think the Muppet figure line was my favorite figure line of all time too. The quality was just unbelievable.

Oh, and I thought of another that I have, Marvin Suggs.

Yeah the sculpts for Big and Little Bird, Cookie Monster, Elmo, Bert, and The Count looked great too. They don't seem to have pics of them though.

I think Bean Bunny was introduced after The Muppet Show was off the air. I think they was just releasing him with Nurse Piggy to get him made though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 438 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next