DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:54 pm 
Collector's Edition

In honor of the 20th Anniversary of Pocahontas today (June 23), Judy Kuhn gets goofy with Jeanine Tesori at the piano with different music "styles" for Colors of the Wind... super cute, and oh that voice is still a glorious thing (even when she's just having fun)

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/28/or ... ent-styles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:28 am 
Collector's Edition

Pocahontas was the first Disney film where I was old enough to get excited and notice all the merchandise and adverts on TV. It amazes me that 20 years has gone by already. I think Pocahontas has left an imprint on me in a way.
It kinda saddens me that I'll never get to live through that time again. Spending Sunday afternoons eating nestle cool creations Pocahontas cups.
It also saddens me that Disney have decided to ignore this film over the years (I love it despite its flaws) and it seems Disney have made no mention of the anniversary.
I was kinda hoping they would give us a new Pocahontas bluray this year with 'If I never Knew You' put back in but alas....
It also means the 10th anniversary edition DVD is 10 years old (obviously as that is how time works) and it seems like yesterday I brought it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:22 am 
Limited Edition

Where's the video? I can't find any video on that page.

Either way, happy 20th Anniversary "Pocahontas". You'll always have a special place in my heart, 20 years afterwards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:13 am 
Platinum Edition

I love Pocahontas! It's such an underrated gem.

Here's an excellent article about the movie on occasion of its anniversary.

In Defense of Pocahontas: Disney's Most Radical Heroine
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... as/396626/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:49 am 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
I love Pocahontas! It's such an underrated gem.

You finally answered a question that I've asked you several times ;) But I'm glad you finally did.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:10 pm 
Collector's Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Where's the video? I can't find any video on that page.

The video is embedded in the article, but if it's not loading correctly for you, here is a link to the actual youtube video:

https://youtu.be/ktAdj8nqvv4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:43 pm 
Limited Edition

DancingCrab wrote:

Oh, thanks :)

The article was a good one. And except some minor flaws, it's nice to see an article that values and credits the strenghts of not only the movie, but Pocahontas herself (since she is a heroine with admirable strenghts).

However, it's odd they claim "Pocahontas" for being the first Disney film to center around an adult female. According to an Jim Hill Media-article, Pocahontas is supposed to be eighteen years old, though she acts and looks older. What about Cinderella? I don't remember her age, but she acts like a grown woman, although I assume she's in her late teens.

The article also tarnishes Belle. While she's far from perfect, she's still not as naive and dimwitted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:36 pm 
Collector's Edition

I think some people just assume Pocahontas is older because she is one of the rare heroines who is not drawn with giant toon eyes, thus making her less childlike compared to your typical Disney girl look. Off the top of my head, Snow White and Cinderella are the only princesses that were drawn equally with realistic anatomy, though Snow White does look and sound 14 or 15. Cinderella and Pocahontas come across the most as mature women in the Princess franchise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:12 pm 
Platinum Edition

Although I wouldn't say Pocahontas is one of my favorites, there are many things I love about the film. The art style, animation, music, and the protagonist herself (and Judy Kuhn, who voices her, one of my absolute favorite voices in Disney). I'm glad that it was made in spite of everything, regardless of how Disney feels towards it.

Looking back, I wasn't too fond of this as a child, but it was my sister's favorite along with Sleeping Beauty. I only remember being drawn to Grandmother Willow, because I seem to have been drawn most strongly to older female characters when I was young (B&tB is another one I didn't really "get" as a child, but I loved Mrs. Potts. :P ). I guess because a child looks for imitations of their own life and family circumstances in what they watch, and my grandmother was a big part of my life. Actually, most of my memories are of playing the Sega Genesis game based on the film repeatedly. It was fairly easy, but I thought it was creative, too. At least I could finish it, something I was never able to do with the TLK, TJB and Aladdin Sega games. :lol: I hope it eventually appears in Kingdom Hearts, too.

Incidentally, oming soon this year are the Pocahontas Legacy Collection soundtrack and Funko Pop version of the title character (at least), both of which I'll be getting. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:23 pm 
Collector's Edition

It also shows a time where Mel Gibson was sane and not saying hateful stuff.

Also does anyone remember the Animaniacs parody of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrud9uW_wI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:18 pm 
Limited Edition

DancingCrab wrote:
Cinderella and Pocahontas come across the most as mature women in the Princess franchise.

Belle as well.