Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: Musker & Clements' Moana

Post by unprincess »

yes!

"comedy adventure" :roll:

after Frozen's success youd think theyd have more confidence in just announcing it as a fantasy musical film...nope, DONT WORRY IT HAS COMEDY!

and they probably are rushing it, they want to use the momentum from Frozen for their next fairytale-esque fantasy film...(but dont worry, its also a comedy.)
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Looks pretty nice to me. I hope it's a musical though. Muster and Clements know how to make them. :)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

PatrickvD wrote:I hope it's a musical though.
According to the Lopezes in that video, "that thing that might be happening in 2016" was Moana!!!! So, yes, most likely, it is a musical!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Good. I'm looking forward to this more than Giants. I'm glad the Lopezes will be doing the music for this (since Menken is no longer an option, apparently). I hope it does well financially so they will/can continue to make movies at Disney.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

I'm just hoping that they don't rush the animation. I would be very disappointed if the earlier release date was because they discarded the innovative painterly CGI style that we kept on hearing about. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised. I'll blame Frozen and its popularity. :roll:
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

'Frozen' Effect: Disney Announces 'Moana,' A New Girl-Powered Animated Film for 2016
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendel ... -for-2016/
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

YES! THERE IS A GOD!!!
LADY Image CLUCK
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

unprincess wrote:yes!

"comedy adventure" :roll:

after Frozen's success youd think theyd have more confidence in just announcing it as a fantasy musical film...nope, DONT WORRY IT HAS COMEDY!
Name one Disney musical that doesn't have comedy.
LADY Image CLUCK
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Yeah, most of the films by Disney Animation and most animated family films from the big studios in general can be classified as "comedy adventure." I don't think it's a big deal, and I'm sure they will be advertising the "Songs from the Songwriters of Frozen" when the time comes.

Anyway, glad to see this get a release date set! Hoping they will do something interesting with the visuals, though I know I shouldn't get my hopes up.

So I guess Giants is pushed back (if there was ever a plan for a 2016 release)? Because Zootopia already has the other 2016 date if I recall correctly.
Mach Full Force
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mach Full Force »

Unpopular opinion: I wish Disney would cancel/shelf this movie. Sure, POC representation is always nice, but this is Disney we're talking about. We all know that if they do include her in the Princess line, she'll just gradually be shoved into the background just like Pocahontas, Mulan and Tiana. It won't do much to help. (And before you mention Big Hero 6, keep in mind most of the marketing has been focused on Baymax rather than the mostly POC main characters, so...)
"Maybe you live in a golden cage, but a golden cage is still a cage."
~Juan Carlos Bodoque, 31 Minutos: La Película
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Well, first I would like to say I'm glad that Moana is going to be released in 2016 instead of Giants. After all, Moana is more interesting than Giants. :wink: But, I have a concern with the choice of animation. They say that they might use the painterly style CG which means half CGI and half hand drawn like from the upcoming short Feast. And now, I fear that they might screw the painterly CG and use CGI instead. :roll: Now, I have nothing against CGI and I'm not like 2Disney4ever, but Disney needs to try to step up their game for doing both mediums. Like do one for 2D hand drawn and one for CGI. Or better yet, use a meander. Just a suggestion.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

John Musker and Ron Clements Chart an Ambitious Course for Moana, Walt Disney Animation Studios' 2016 Release (interview with Musker and Clements)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/ ... 15894.html
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Disney's Divinity

Another "girl-powered film"? :!: Even though I know they're only saying that because of Tangled's and Frozen's success (we know they wouldn't say anything positive about a "girl" movie 5 years ago), I can't help but be happy about that. Tiana, Ariel, and Megara are some of my favorite characters, so I hope this film keeps them around to make more films in future. Plus, a 14-year old lead? Maybe their first female protagonist not focused on love or in a relationship? :up:

I'm also excited because this film will definitely feature the ocean pretty heavily, which even in 3D can still be pretty beautiful. And "enormous sea creatures and mythic figures"? :D
Lady Cluck wrote:Name one Disney musical that doesn't have comedy.
Name one Disney film, period, that doesn't have comedy in it.
Tangled wrote:I'm just hoping that they don't rush the animation. I would be very disappointed if the earlier release date was because they discarded the innovative painterly CGI style that we kept on hearing about. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised. I'll blame Frozen and its popularity. :roll:
I wouldn't blame Frozen--they abandoned the "painterly" idea on Tangled.
Mach Full Force wrote:Unpopular opinion: I wish Disney would cancel/shelf this movie. Sure, POC representation is always nice, but this is Disney we're talking about. We all know that if they do include her in the Princess line, she'll just gradually be shoved into the background just like Pocahontas, Mulan and Tiana. It won't do much to help. (And before you mention Big Hero 6, keep in mind most of the marketing has been focused on Baymax rather than the mostly POC main characters, so...)
How they decide to use or not use a character in a merchandise line after the fact has no bearing on how good a character will be in the film itself. And that's all that matters, imo. Besides, non-white characters still have a right to be included in film regardless. I'm sure M&C didn't start this movie just to add another non-white character to the princess line...

Weird.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:"Another girl-powered film"? Even though I know they're only saying that because of Tangled's and Frozen's success (we know they wouldn't say anything positive about a "girl" movie 5 years ago), I can't help but be happy about that. Tiana, Ariel, and Megara are some of my favorite characters, so I hope this film keeps them around to make more films in future. Plus, a 14-year old character? Maybe their first female protagonist not focused on love or in a relationship? :up:

Plus, I'm excited because this film will definitely feature the ocean pretty heavily (as well as "enormous sea creatures and mythic figures").
Lady Cluck wrote:Name one Disney musical that doesn't have comedy.
Name one Disney film, period, that doesn't have comedy in it.
Tangled wrote:I'm just hoping that they don't rush the animation. I would be very disappointed if the earlier release date was because they discarded the innovative painterly CGI style that we kept on hearing about. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised. I'll blame Frozen and its popularity. :roll:
I wouldn't blame Frozen--they abandoned the "painterly" idea on Tangled.
Mach Full Force wrote:Unpopular opinion: I wish Disney would cancel/shelf this movie. Sure, POC representation is always nice, but this is Disney we're talking about. We all know that if they do include her in the Princess line, she'll just gradually be shoved into the background just like Pocahontas, Mulan and Tiana. It won't do much to help. (And before you mention Big Hero 6, keep in mind most of the marketing has been focused on Baymax rather than the mostly POC main characters, so...)
How they decide to use or not use a character in a merchandise line after the fact has no bearing on how good a character will be in the film itself. And that's all that matters, imo. Besides, non-white characters still have a right to be included in film regardless. I'm sure M&C didn't start this movie just to add another non-white character to the princess line...

Weird.
I bring up Alice from Alice In Wonderland because she wasn't focused on romance or in a relationship. And don't forget Lilo from Lilo and Stich.
Disney's Divinity

I was talking about Musker & Clements films, although I know the wording was confusing. :P
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Yeah, any Disney movie is going to have comedy. Even most stage musicals have some comedy, even things like Les Mis.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about where the characters fit in the damn princess line? It's fun to complain about, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter unless you're a 5 year old girl. I care more about the film versions of the characters and Moana sounds intriguing with the little information we have. Wishing for no more POC princesses because they might not sell as much merchandise is bizarre and regressive. For all we know, Moana could be a huge hit and the merchandise would follow.
LADY Image CLUCK
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, to be honest, I think the greenlit of the movie is rushed thanks to the success of "Frozen". On the other hand, I like that Musker/Clements will be doing this movie. They're good at making movies that are pure fun, which are evident in "Mermaid", "Aladdin", "Hercules" and "TPATF".
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

How is Moana being rushed? The Snow Queen was shelved when TP&TF "under-preformed". Then when Rapunzel "renamed Tangled" became a near $600 million worldwide hit, WDAS announces "Frozen" in November 2011. Frozen was rushed to capitalize on Tangled's success. But each of these films are exactly 3 years apart: Tangled Thanksgiving 2010/Frozen Thanksgiving 2013/Moana Thanksgiving 2016. I'm surprised WDAS officially announced their next film after Zootopia today just like that, but it seems this is what the executives decided on, going full bore with Moana over Giants. And WDAS still keeps it's diverse film line-up: Zootopia is very different from even WiR & BH6 while Moana continues the Tangled/Frozen Disney Princess saga.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

To me The Princess and the Frog is this generation's The Little Mermaid, Tangled - Beauty and the Beast, and Frozen - The Lion King. Therefore, would Moana = Pocahontas? After the major success of The Lion King, weren't expectations for Pocahontas really high only for people to be disappointed?
Lady Cluck
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lady Cluck »

Does that make Winnie the Pooh, Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia all The Rescuers Down Under?
LADY Image CLUCK