DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yes. It was pretty much a mess, despite a few generally solid performances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:45 am 
Gold Collection

I saw the show and I didn't feel that it was a mess or so bad. The musical arrangement was excellent. It's a aimed towards children and looked kinda plastic. Sierra was wonderful as Ariel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

SpringHeelJack wrote:
Yes. It was pretty much a mess, despite a few generally solid performances.

While I respect your opinion, that is what that sentence is, just your opinion. I was after facts; did the show actually bomb ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:18 pm 

supertalies wrote:
But those versions supposedly just changed the costumes and decor. This new European version will have a new script, and also two new songs written by Alan Menken and Glenn Slater.

Really excited! :D

Also, I think Tommie Christiaan is really cute. :P I think he'll do a good job. He's better than Jim Bakkum, who seems to be getting all the good male parts, like Fiyero..

Tommie Christiaan also played the rol of Troy Bolton in the musicalversion of High School Musical, he was the winner of a musicaltalentshow and he played Zorro in the musical Zorro. He has a nice character: he's a funny, charismatic and very adventurous (young) man. Besides he has amazing danceskills. I think he'll be a perfect prince Eric. I can't wait to hear who will play the rol of his Ariel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:34 pm 
Platinum Edition

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
I was after facts; did the show actually bomb ?
If it did well, do you think they would have closed it? Beauty and the Beast went for years and TLK is still going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
I was after facts; did the show actually bomb ?
If it did well, do you think they would have closed it? Beauty and the Beast went for years and TLK is still going.

Yea. I don't think anyone can dig up official numbers, and then compare them to other numbers to show you, but what we can say is that the show did not pull in enough people, or enough money, to stay open for as long as a good Disney Broadway show should, like, say, Mary Poppins. So yes, it "bombed". Not horribly. It just wasn't up to snuff. Everyone who's seen it has got to admit it wasn't near as good as the movie or near as good as it could, and should, have been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney tends not to release financial statements, but it's pretty plain that "Mermaid" (and "Tarzan") both bombed pretty hard. "Mermaid" was also pretty well savaged in terms of audience and critical response. So, yes, it's my opinion that it is a mess, but it's also a pretty popular opinion, and this is coming from someone who loves the movie. The stage show as it was on Broadway stands as a textbook example of what not to do in adapting a movie to that medium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:33 am 
Limited Edition

I can't wait to hear some of the songs.

You know as I watch The Little Mermaid and other Disney flicks I personally feel that we were robbed of a classy rendition of one of the films songs.

The Lion King
Hercules
Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast

They all got more adult contemporary renditions of a song at the end of their film. Stupid rant but I was hoping with this musical we could get a rendition of a song that sounds like the credit versions of beauty and the beast or aladdin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:40 am 
Platinum Edition

CampbellzSoup wrote:
I was hoping with this musical we could get a rendition of a song that sounds like the credit versions of beauty and the beast or aladdin.

Yea but...did the Broadway musicals of any of Disney films you mentioned have songs like that in them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:11 am 
Collector's Edition

Technically, it was a flop because I don't think it recouped. But it wasn't a bomb. It got mixed reviews. A lot of people loved it, a lot of people hated it, and a lot of people were in-between.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:49 am 
Limited Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
CampbellzSoup wrote:
I was hoping with this musical we could get a rendition of a song that sounds like the credit versions of beauty and the beast or aladdin.

Yea but...did the Broadway musicals of any of Disney films you mentioned have songs like that in them?

Eh while it is a nice rendition it's not like the other two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:25 pm 
Platinum Edition

@ tsom: That's what I've always thought as well. I had always got the impression that the film did well as far as getting people to come, just that the show cost so much to produce and/or put on every night that they couldn't recoup the cost.

@ CampbellzSoup: I've always wanted a pop rendition of "Part of That World" in the vein of "A Whole New World" and "Beauty and the Beast," too. I think what Duster is saying though, is that they usually don't have those in the musical versions of the films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:29 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
That's what I've always thought as well. I had always got the impression that the film did well as far as getting people to come, just that the show cost so much to produce and/or put on every night that they couldn't recoup the cost.

The film did way better than that!!!! I think you meant to say "show" instead? ;)

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I think what Duster is saying though, is that they usually don't have those in the musical versions of the films.

Yep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:07 am 
Collector's Edition

Disney's Divinity, that's exactly how I understood it as well.

Duster, I think he meant the film was a tool to get people to see the show in the first place.

Honestly, the show wasn't that bad. I've never seen it live, but people were dramatic at how "bad" it was. I saw it online and it was pretty cool. I think people went in expecting to see the movie on stage. Even Beauty and the Beast got mixed feelings when it first came out. I think the new songs were amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:16 pm 
Special Edition

They've found the Dutch Ariel! Tessa Sunniva van Tol will play the main character.

http://www.musicals.nl/the-little-mermaid-cast.asp

Here are some of here old performances:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbbuBdNGN_w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF5Au-9KGKw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=739OiXQXSeY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:43 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Interesting choice. I thought for sure they were gonna go with an established actress like Chantal Janzen or Céline Purcell.

She has the face and she seems to be pretty good vocally in those videos. I'm sure she's grown as a singer in the last 5 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:51 pm 
Platinum Edition

She seems good...I will await further judgement, but for now I will say she's gotta learn to sing better and really get her voice to lift. It sounds like it's a little stuck deep in her throat or her nose, it's not really getting out there and soaring. And it needs to. Because Ariel's supposed to have the most beautiful voice ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:08 pm 

I think Tommie and Tessa are very cute together. Don't you think? I can't wait to see this musical. The other castmembers (Robberto de Groot - Thriton and Marjolein Touw - Ursela) are also great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:11 pm 
Special Edition

I got front row tickets for July 5th's show...can't wait.

I saw the Broadway one in 2009 and loved it. Cast was aso very kind after the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:24 am 
Collector's Edition

Some new designs. I really like the third one!
https://twitter.com/#!/MusicalReports/s ... to/1/large
https://twitter.com/#!/MusicalReports/s ... 76/photo/1
https://twitter.com/#!/MusicalReports/s ... 92/photo/1
https://twitter.com/#!/MusicalReports/s ... 72/photo/1

Also, I've read somewhere they want it to look like a large 'pop-up' book. That should be interesting..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next