DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:02 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:36 am
Posts: 1132
Location: The Netherlands, The Hague
supertalies wrote:
I actually do like the costume for Scuttle

The one for Triton, however.. :headshake:



Yes, why not a costume that shows his bare chest?

_________________
See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/


Last edited by BelleGirl on Tue May 15, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:13 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:02 am
Posts: 498
Location: The Anthill
I got 4 extra tickets!

So, anyone who's visiting Holland in July and would like tickets (row 11, very good seats) just let me know...they'll be cheaper than the actual selling price ofcourse!

Or anyone who would like to join me...just send me a message! :)

:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:23 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:36 am
Posts: 1132
Location: The Netherlands, The Hague
Khonnor wrote:
I got 4 extra tickets!

So, anyone who's visiting Holland in July and would like tickets (row 11, very good seats) just let me know...they'll be cheaper than the actual selling price ofcourse!

Or anyone who would like to join me...just send me a message! :)

:)


Well I'm interested but I'm not allowed to send you a PM. In which theatre does this performance take place? I know this musical goes on tour through The Netherlands.

_________________
See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:36 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:18 am
Posts: 201
Location: the Netherlands
There is a Facebook page for the musical, It gets updated with new pictures all the time.....costumes look horrible in my opinion

http://nl-nl.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=351867584867405&set=a.293754214012076.80485.176801825707316&type=1&theater


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:27 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:02 am
Posts: 498
Location: The Anthill
BelleGirl wrote:
Well I'm interested but I'm not allowed to send you a PM. In which theatre does this performance take place? I know this musical goes on tour through The Netherlands.



Hi, strange you're not allowed to send me a PM...I;ll check my inbox...maybe it's full.

The show is for July 12 which is in The Hague... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:03 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:36 am
Posts: 1132
Location: The Netherlands, The Hague
Khonnor wrote:
BelleGirl wrote:
Well I'm interested but I'm not allowed to send you a PM. In which theatre does this performance take place? I know this musical goes on tour through The Netherlands.



Hi, strange you're not allowed to send me a PM...I;ll check my inbox...maybe it's full.

The show is for July 12 which is in The Hague... :)


In the World Forum theatre.
I don't think the reason I cannot send you a PM is because your inbox is full: It's never been possible for me since I joined this discussion forum. It was UD's policy at the time not to allow new members to send them.

_________________
See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:03 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:34 pm
Posts: 4415
Location: The Netherlands
The costumes look like ass.

:shock:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:16 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:11 am
Posts: 782
Location: The Netherlands
BelleGirl wrote:
supertalies wrote:
I actually do like the costume for Scuttle

The one for Triton, however.. :headshake:



Yes, why not a costume that shows his bare chest?


I don't exactly know, but I think it has to do with them flying. That's also the reason the mermaids don't wear shells.

Also, about those tickets.. I actually live in The Hage, so I would love to go see it. However, my parents want to buy me some tickets, but I don't know for which day that will be yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:53 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 6409
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
I thought it might have more to do with the actor not having a very flattering chest to show. This might be a case of a better actor v. an actor who looks the part, with the costume paying the price.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:19 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 2934
PatrickvD wrote:
The costumes look like ass.

:shock:


Honestly, I hope they fix that. They made the "second" mer-tails in the Broadway production look less like lizard tails. What I want them to REALLY fix is the "underwater" hair problem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:39 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 6899
Location: America
Actually, I would say Scuttle and Sebastian look better than the Broadway versions. They actually look like the creatures they're supposed to. Ursula's land costume is bad however. And Flounder has always looked horrible in both the Broadway show and now this one.

King Triton isn't so bad to me. I think it woukd make perfect sense for him to have a chest plate of armor, so if they just made it into that, and used the same material for his wrist bracelets he had in the movie, and fix his crown to be more crown-like, then I think his costume would actually be great. I have no idea how they walk on the ground in their tails though.

Did anyone notice, one of the green sea creatures has roller skates. Skating did make it into this show after all!

PatrickvD wrote:
The costumes look like ass.

:shock:

Ah, so I was right.

DisneyJedi wrote:
They made the "second" mer-tails in the Broadway production look less like lizard tails.

You mean this Netherlands, not Broadway, production has better tails?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:41 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 2934
Well, Duster, I meant that in the out of town tryout for Little Mermaid, the second mer-tails looked a little awkward and they managed to "fix" them for the official Broadway run.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:20 am 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:11 am
Posts: 782
Location: The Netherlands
Disney's Divinity wrote:
I thought it might have more to do with the actor not having a very flattering chest to show. This might be a case of a better actor v. an actor who looks the part, with the costume paying the price.

Well, actually, the actor also went barechested during some other musicals, so I doubt it had to do with him.

My guess it's the same reason why the mermaids are also pretty covered up: because they fly, and the 'suit' (I can't think of another word to explain it right now) has to be hidden underneath the costumes.

_________________
"The hardest thing in this world, is to live in it. Be brave. Live." - Buffy Summers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:03 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 6899
Location: America
DisneyJedi wrote:
Well, Duster, I meant that in the out of town tryout for Little Mermaid, the second mer-tails looked a little awkward and they managed to "fix" them for the official Broadway run.

I don't really think they fixed the tails, haha. I don't think the idea turned out very well.

I actually thought of my own way the idea might be improved. The original Broadway one's on the left, my idea is on the right, and there's a little picture of them standing still and the bigger pictures are them moving their legs the farthest they probably would that might "spoil" the tail illusion, but hopefully in mine, it wouldn't spoil it so much, if at all. And I made them transparent just to show where their rollerblading legs would be underneath, if they were made for real they wouldn't be transparent:

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:12 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 pm
Posts: 3673
Location: Boston, MA
Honestly that would probably just hamper the movement of the actors. The Broadway is probably the best way of combining form and function, sad as it may be.

AKA it just really shouldn't be a stage musical in the first place.

_________________
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:25 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 6899
Location: America
Well, I can't draw on the computer exactly what I mean, and maybe in real life it could really work, but in case it wouldn't, maybe if they just combined those skirts with a tail that followed it more so it looked like one tail with a lot of finny fabric hanging from it like this?:

Image

Other than that, I would say flying does make the show work, and did you see the one version of the show that had black fabric covering their legs and the stage very dark? What if they just did that (sort of like the Voyage of The Little Mermaid show where things are hidden in the dark?). They could have light from above and in the middle of the backgrounds, just no light on the bottom.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:14 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:09 pm
Posts: 3272
I must say, I like your costume designs, Duster, but I wonder how well they'd function.

Personally, I'd have no problem if they just gave Ariel a dress designed like a fish tail-- but not an actual tail as has been done in past productions. That way you'd focus more on the performance and not on the odd protusion coming out of the back of the actress' costume.

_________________
Image
Avatar and signature are Al Hirschfeld illustrations of Julie Andrews in Star! (1968).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:44 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:18 am
Posts: 201
Location: the Netherlands
Just returned home after a visit to the show.....
Soooo different from what i've seen from the US version :p the show is more small and adapted for smaller theaters, but it's not bad at all :)

The costumes and decor do look a bit cheap, but i think that is due to the fact that Wicked swallowed so much money, While it's not being visited well....so they had to cut in the budget! Some scenes, like 'kiss the girl' look a bit flat, since there are no animals in it :p
I didn't get annoyed by the wigs by the way, it looked a bit funny ok, but it doesn't distract your attention....

The main players were really good! Actually they sang better than the actors in the dutch version of Wicked....also the assemble was really good! And i loved the scene in the beauty parlor, with the disco music and dresses, totally out of place, but really nice :) Just like the childish 'le poison' scene...so funny haha :p


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:50 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:54 am
Posts: 136
Location: Belgium
Toky wrote:
Just returned home after a visit to the show.....
Soooo different from what i've seen from the US version :p the show is more small and adapted for smaller theaters, but it's not bad at all :)

The costumes and decor do look a bit cheap, but i think that is due to the fact that Wicked swallowed so much money, While it's not being visited well....so they had to cut in the budget! Some scenes, like 'kiss the girl' look a bit flat, since there are no animals in it :p
I didn't get annoyed by the wigs by the way, it looked a bit funny ok, but it doesn't distract your attention....

The main players were really good! Actually they sang better than the actors in the dutch version of Wicked....also the assemble was really good! And i loved the scene in the beauty parlor, with the disco music and dresses, totally out of place, but really nice :) Just like the childish 'le poison' scene...so funny haha :p


What about the changes from the Dutch songs of the original movie version? I've seen in previews that they changed the lyrics. Is it notable?
How about the transformation scene? I saw that one in the broadway videos and it looked good. So I'm wondering how they adapted that.

I'm planning on visiting the show over summer holiday, so I hope they fix some stuff; most notable the inclusion of Vanessa.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:22 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:18 am
Posts: 201
Location: the Netherlands
WillytheDino wrote:
Toky wrote:
Just returned home after a visit to the show.....
Soooo different from what i've seen from the US version :p the show is more small and adapted for smaller theaters, but it's not bad at all :)

The costumes and decor do look a bit cheap, but i think that is due to the fact that Wicked swallowed so much money, While it's not being visited well....so they had to cut in the budget! Some scenes, like 'kiss the girl' look a bit flat, since there are no animals in it :p
I didn't get annoyed by the wigs by the way, it looked a bit funny ok, but it doesn't distract your attention....

The main players were really good! Actually they sang better than the actors in the dutch version of Wicked....also the assemble was really good! And i loved the scene in the beauty parlor, with the disco music and dresses, totally out of place, but really nice :) Just like the childish 'le poison' scene...so funny haha :p


What about the changes from the Dutch songs of the original movie version? I've seen in previews that they changed the lyrics. Is it notable?
How about the transformation scene? I saw that one in the broadway videos and it looked good. So I'm wondering how they adapted that.

I'm planning on visiting the show over summer holiday, so I hope they fix some stuff; most notable the inclusion of Vanessa.


First I'm sure they are not gonna change a thing about the show anymore, since i saw it in Heerlen and the audience seemed to love it, especially the children did... So no vanessa :( ....but they did have a sort of Huge ursula, which was really funny :p
the translations were done quite good in my opinion, as far as i remember also quite close to the dutch movie translation, except for poor unfortunate souls, which became: 'het leven is zwaar'....the transformation scene was not spectacular( the show actually lacked real wow effects), since Ariel just loses her robe in the air with some light effects :)
I thought the show was just cute in its own way and should have been given a bigger budget to add in more effects and a better decor :) It has lost it's Disney touch somehow, which the broadway show captured better and its definitly not more mature ....

The only thing I really didn't like were some referrals to other Disney movies/ musicals, like when Eric asks Ariel for her name, he guesses: Jasmine, Jane, Belle...and a scene were Scutter suddenly says: supercalifragelisticexpealidocious :p (I was like: ooo no, facepalm).
Flounder did even make a joke about a yellow sponge living on the bottom of the ocean, which can talk( spongebob :o )


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 322 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group