DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:21 pm 
Platinum Edition

Based on the following evidence, it is fairly certain that Merida will join the Disney Princess line.

Quote:
The Disney Princesses will show off a sparkling new look from January and will kick off new consumer campaigns, the first of which is the Disney Princess Movie Festival for five weeks over February and March at Event, Greater Union and Village Cinemas showing: Cinderella, Pocahontas, Mulan, Princess & The Frog and Tangled. In July, Disney’s newest princess, Brave’s Merida, will have her official Princess coronation.

Source: http://www.toyhobbyretailer.com.au/news ... p-for-2013

Quote:
[Disney chief financial officer Jay Rasulo] also predicted a strong holiday season for the company's consumer products division, noting that items tied to Merida, the main character from "Brave," should boost the Disney Princess line.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... 9419.story

Jim Korkis wrote:
Recently, Pixar introduced the unconventional Scottish Princess Merida in the film Brave, who emphasized that being a princess comes with responsibilities not just benefits. The Disney Company has chosen to include her with the Disney princesses (even though they leave out so many others).

Source: http://www.mouseplanet.com/10216/Evolut ... Princesses

Source: http://twitter.com/DisneyStore/status/2 ... 8289349632

Source: http://www.disguise.com/showitems.asp?dc=2403

Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:29 pm 
Limited Edition

That's exciting news. Can't wait to see merchandise with her being featured with the other gals :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:37 pm 
Collector's Edition

She will be the official single lady of the group. :D

I have a feeling that the other girls will try to do some matchmaking for her.I mean fanfiction writers have already paired her with characters from other movies like Hiccup from How To Train Your Dragon,Jack Frost from Rise Of The Guardians,and Jim Hakwins from Treasure Planet.

I have a feeling they would pair her up with Jim Hawkins mainly because the guy doesn't has a love interest and has been paired with so many girls in fanfiction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:43 pm 
Collector's Edition

MIND BLOWN!!!

Omg I'm going to go out and buy myself a Tiana & Merida doll tonight & Sotiris, Jay and whoever else wants to come bring your dolls too so we can play barbies! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:43 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I gotta say it, I can't help it... told ya so :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:47 pm 
Platinum Edition

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:
I'm going to go out and buy myself a Tiana & Merida doll tonight & Sotiris, Jay and whoever else wants to come bring your dolls too so we can play Barbies!

:lol:

Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:51 pm 
Collector's Edition

I think this will balance it out too so Rapunzel isn't the only CG princess. And from what I've seen from my little cousins, Merida is a hit. That's what we got my cousin for her birthday & my aunt said she loved her Merida Barbie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:53 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Duster won't be happy about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:01 pm 
Collector's Edition

I forgot about Dusty D! I'm outta here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:05 pm 
Collector's Edition

It goes well with my theory that Queen Elinor actually vouched for Merida to be in the line. :lol:

Plus I think Queen Elinor would in my mind actually want Merida to meet fellow royalty as well.I think Elinor might even join Merida on her first visit with the other disney princesses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Why? Princess Leia should've been in there first! :P :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 pm 
Collector's Edition

Im very displeased about this. This is corporate bull***t gone crazy.
MERIDA IS NOT A DISNEY PRINCESS. She was not created by disney, she doesnt wear pretty dresses, she doesnt want her hair fashioned in any way.

The princess like is about pretty girls in pretty dresses. ALL CREATED BY DISNEY. NOT PIXAR

Are they going to include one of the Marvel women too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:41 pm 
Limited Edition

I knew this is going to happen. Oh well, I guess I'll have to get use to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:00 pm 
Collector's Edition

Marce82 wrote:
MERIDA IS NOT A DISNEY PRINCESS. She was not created by disney, she doesnt wear pretty dresses, she doesnt want her hair fashioned in any way.

The princess like is about pretty girls in pretty dresses. ALL CREATED BY DISNEY. NOT PIXAR

Are they going to include one of the Marvel women too?

Pocahontas doesn't wear pretty dresses. (The sequel doesn't count.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:07 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This isn't corporate bullshit, this is good business. There is no legitimate reason she should not be included, because nowhere in "the rules" does it say the Disney Princess line can only include characters created by WDAS. To the vast majority of people, Merida is as much a part of Disney as anyone else. It simply wouldn't have made sense to leave her out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:17 am 
Platinum Edition

SWillie! wrote:
This isn't corporate bullshit, this is good business.
... :?:

Barbossa wrote:
Why? Princess Leia should've been in there first!
This is how I feel as well. She is Disney now, there is no difference between her and Snow White, Ariel, et al. They could even throw in Giselle so she doesn't feel excluded because she's live-action. And maybe once Disney buys Nintendo, they can throw Princess Peach in there. After all, there's no legitimate reason not to. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:32 am 
Limited Edition

But Giselle isn't a princess, is she? She *almost* married Edward but wound up with McDreamy instead. If that's the case, Nancy Tremaine is the princess, not Giselle. :)

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:51 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
SWillie! wrote:
This isn't corporate bullshit, this is good business.
... :?:

Barbossa wrote:
Why? Princess Leia should've been in there first!
This is how I feel as well. She is Disney now, there is no difference between her and Snow White, Ariel, et al. They could even throw in Giselle so she doesn't feel excluded because she's live-action. And maybe once Disney buys Nintendo, they can throw Princess Peach in there. After all, there's no legitimate reason not to. :D

Can we please not simply pretend like I make no sense here, as if you can't even understand what I'm saying?

Pixar has been affiliated with Disney from the very beginning. People (meaning the general public, excluding the minute number of "hardcore fans" who make a fuss about this kind of stuff) view them as one and the same. You ask anyone to list some of their favorite recent Disney movies and you'll undoubtedly hear Finding Nemo, Toy Story, etc. The general public, and Disney's biggest consumer group, do not differentiate between the two to the extent that we do here on this forum. Yes, they know and trust the Pixar name, but they do not view the two as two separate entities.

And so, this is a natural decision. A good business decision. Whether us big fans like it or not (trust me, I'd be as happy to do away with the Princess line as most around here would), the Princess franchise is one of Disney's most lucrative. Since Brave didn't do as well critically and financially as was probably hoped for, its chances of turning into a franchise in and of itself (ala Toy Story or Cars) were shot down. So the choices left, then, are to either a) let the film's merchandise disappear after a certain amount of time, like most Pixar films have done, or b) add Merida to the guaranteed success of the Princess line.

While I'm sure Disney is quite aware of the comparatively small amount of people who will not like this decision, you can't possibly blame them for choosing to go with the guaranteed success here. There is no legitimate reason not to.

In response to the tongue in cheek argument about Leia and Peach - there is obviously a huge difference here. Like I said, Pixar has been associated with Disney since the very beginning, and most people do not differentiate between the two. Not so with other acquisitions. People still view Marvel, Star Wars, and (hypothetically) Nintendo, as separate entities from Disney, even though they are all under the same umbrella as Pixar. The general public doesn't look at them the same way, and so in those situations there IS a legitimate reason not to. It would not be good business, as there would undoubtedly be a much stronger backlash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:49 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Marce82 wrote:

I'm confused. By the way you're upset it almost seems like you care about a merchandise line with products created for girls under the age of 10. Unless you're 5, why do you care THIS much?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 630 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next