Pixar Sequels - Wanted, Needed?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Pixar Sequels - Wanted, Needed?

Post by littlefuzzy »

If we have a great story, we'll do a sequel.
-John Lasseter

I know there might have been some sequel discussion in one of the general Pixar threads, but I'm not sure where it would be...

With Toy Story 3 having been out for a bit, Cars 2 coming out as I write this, and Monsters Inc. 2 (Monsters University) coming in 2012, I figured this was a good time to talk about PIxar sequels.

Disney commissioned Toy Story 2 as a 60 minute direct to video work, but Pixar started from scratch to make the feature film we know and love today...

Also, despite a Gentleman's Agreement that Disney wouldn't make any Pixar sequels without their involvement, Disney started pre-production on Toy Story 3 after the two were unable to agree on a new deal. Of course, all that is moot now with the merger, and Lasseter in charge of ALL Disney and Pixar animation.

Toy Story - they did a great job with Toy Story 2, I haven't seen 3 yet personally.*

A Bug's Life - I don't know that a sequel is really needed.

Monsters Inc. - A Prequel is coming (Monsters University), I think a prequel OR sequel would be welcome. I think the interaction between Boo and the monsters was great, although a prequel would miss out on that. A sequel where Boo might be old enough to not believe in the monsters could be interesting, although it's not a case where the monsters would dissappear if enough kids don't believe. Plus, that might borrow some from The Santa Clause 2 or 3.

Finding Nemo - I don't know that a sequel could do much without retreading the same ground... Of course, I am probably one of the few Pixar fans that didn't really care for the film.

The Incredibles - I could easily see a good sequel to this, Superhero movies have sequels, and the family could have another great adventure or two.

Cars - Along with Finding Nemo, this is one of my least favorite Pixar films, and I don't really know where they are going to go with the sequel.*

Ratatouille - While I love the movie, I think the first one wrapped the story up pretty well.

WALL-E - Again, I don't know that the story would have a lot of room for a prequel OR sequel. A prequel - Wall-E cleans up garbage, alone or with other Wall-E units. :zzz: A sequel - Wall-E (and Eve) go exploring somewhere, searching for something important to prevent a disaster, or explore another world in preparation for colonization by the humans... I don't know how far the human ships could travel in space...

Up - The same thing goes for this, sure the old man (and the boy scout, dog, etc.) could have further adventures, but I don't know if they would really fit with the theme of Up.

*Please try to keep major spoilers for Toy Story 3, and particularly Cars 2 (since it's JUST being released) out of the thread...
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

"Needed" is a tricky thing. How many movies are needed, anyway? Let alone sequels. But "wanted"? If the story's good, then bring them on, on the caveat that they won't be the only thing (or the primary thing) Pixar releases.

While Monsters University's concept sounds less than original, and Cars 2 suffers from being the sequel to the weakest Pixar movie (IMHO), I'll still want to see them. Because let's face it, there has yet to be a truly awful Pixar movie, and after managing not only to release excellent movies, but managing to release two sequels to an incredibly popular movie that are the original's equal, Pixar shows they can do whatever they want.

That said, the only sequel I truly want to see is to The Incredibles. It's too good a premise not to build on. However, I think only Brad Bird should do it, and since he's doing live-action now, that sequel might never happen. So maybe, if Bird gives someone else his blessing (and maybe even work on the script?) then that would be fine as well.
Animalia
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Animalia »

I'm personally a fan of sequels, unless they are planned when the make the film.

But with that being said I did think that Toy Story needed a sequel. The ending left you with that you wanted to meet Mrs. Potato Head and Buster, also Buzz needed a girl. :P I didn't think that they needed to make a Toy Story 3, even if I did like Toy Story 3 instead of not. Toy Story 2 had one of those opening endings like Monsters, Inc. Where I feel that films with those type of endings should be left alone.

The only other Pixar film that I think should have a sequel is the Incredibles, I mean it was begging for a sequel with the Underminer. :lol:

It feels like now that Disney is not really doing any animated films and Pixar is basically only coming out with sequels, excluding Brave.
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

I think a Wall-E sequel could be great... I really loved that story and the parallels to our world that were dispersed throughout. I think a sequel of what happened when they got back to earth could be really great and uplifting. (Especially if it were released on Christmas 2012. :lol: Would be a fun play on all the doomsday theories. Obviously this is impossible.)

I really don't want them to touch Up.. Up was great all on its own and there's nothing more I wanted or needed from that film.

I'm not excited for Cars 2 or Monsters Inc 2 (or prequel.) They did well with the Toy Story films, though. And I agree that nothing can really be done with A Bugs Life or Finding Nemo. No interest in a Ratatouille or Incredibles sequel. :P
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Incredibles 2 could easily use a storyline inspired by the comic books from Boom!. They did a fantastic job with the license and I'm hoping Marvel finished the Unforgivables storyline they were building up to now that they've got the license.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

I was hoping someone would post a topic on this! :D

Here is my stance on sequels: *shrugs* I loved The Incredibles, Ratatouille, WALL-E, and a little bit of Up so much that I want Pixar to continue making original films. Or at least, make new characters.

No matter how much I love Mike and Sulley, I would choose not to have a sequel if I had the choice. My first viewing of Toy Story 2, I remember it blew me away. Just make it as good as the original and I will be happy.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

The Incredibles needs a sequel. As soon as possible. I feel like they created a large, believable world, and even set up the family dynamic for a sequel.... It feels like there's so much story left to tell. But that's the only one that would be necessary.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I agree with Lasseter; if they have a good enough story, make the film. I agree that Cars is probably Pixar's weakest films but, when I take into account how brilliant I think the rest of Pixar's films are, I still think it's a good film. Whether a sequel is needed is debatable but I don't want to make a judgement on it until I've seen the film. The same goes for Monsters University, though I like the idea of a prequel more than a sequel in this instance.

For me, I always have slight doubts over Pixar sequels as I never think that the sequel can possible match the quality of the original films. It's hard for me to see any reason to make sequels to Finding Nemo, A Bug's Life, Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up when the stories of those films seemed to have been wrapped up perfectly. I would love an Incredibles sequel and I've read that Brad Bird would be open to directing it if he can think of a good story so it could happen one day.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Margos wrote:The Incredibles needs a sequel. As soon as possible. I feel like they created a large, believable world, and even set up the family dynamic for a sequel.... It feels like there's so much story left to tell. But that's the only one that would be necessary.
Looked at the comic at all? It definitely does the job for me.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I'll be the dissenting voice here (so what else is new?) and say The Incredibles doesn't need a sequel at all. I think the story has been told; it's wrapped and done. What would be the point of a sequel? More adventures? Sure, but that was not what the movie was about. It was about the family dealing with the restraints placed upon them and how it affected their lives. The adventure was just the vehicle to tell that story.

I'm no fan of sequels to movies I really love. It's *because* I like the characters so much, that I don't want to see them in another film; because I don't want to see them ruïned. For the same reason I'm not happy with the sequel to Monsters, Inc.. Although Pixar has pulled it off before with Toy Story.

Cars 2 is just an excuse to sell a lot of merchandise again. It has nothing to do with a good story and artistic integrity. Not after having seen the trailers. This is the animated equivalent of mindless pulp like Fast and the Furious and Gone in 60 seconds.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

FigmentJedi wrote:Incredibles 2 could easily use a storyline inspired by the comic books from Boom!. They did a fantastic job with the license and I'm hoping Marvel finished the Unforgivables storyline they were building up to now that they've got the license.
Okay, I'll need to purchase those comic books now.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

ajmrowland wrote:
FigmentJedi wrote:Incredibles 2 could easily use a storyline inspired by the comic books from Boom!. They did a fantastic job with the license and I'm hoping Marvel finished the Unforgivables storyline they were building up to now that they've got the license.
Okay, I'll need to purchase those comic books now.
There's five trades containing the whole run under Boom. As for the ending, it's a matter of what Marvel's going to do with those Pixar Comic magazines they're doing. Seeing as the Cars magazine will mostly reprint one of the Cars comic arcs from Boom, I imagine when they get to Incredibles that they'll reprint and finish the story there.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Goliath wrote:Cars 2 is just an excuse to sell a lot of merchandise again.
I'm glad you pointed that out, because it was what I was thinking. Though Cars was not Pixar's most successful film (critically or financially), it's sold lots of merchandise. So no doubt the money interests were a motivation for that one.

That being said, I don't really imagine good sequels for any Pixar films except Toy Story and The Incredibles. The Incredibles seemed to revolve mostly around Bob and Helen's marriage, with little exploration of Violet and Dash (was that the young boy's name?). I would like to see a sequel with the children somewhat older, with a family of open heroes dealing with problems. There is a lot more they could explore with these characters that I would love to see. I'm not sure what else they could do with Bob and Helen, but the children have a lot of room for growth.

I'm not crazy about the fact that they're doing another Monsters film. Monsters, Inc. is easily my favorite Pixar film, and--even though I'm hugely relieved they won't spoil the original by showing a grown-up Boo!--the idea for the prequel doesn't sound that inspiring either.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Toy Story 3 was really needed because in Toy Story 2 the major underlying question was addressed "what will happen to the toys once Andy grows up" and that conversation between Buzz and Woody at the end of that movie was foreshadowing. I knew that if a Toy Story 3 were ever made it had to answer that question and the timing worked out great to tell the story brilliantly.

Monsters Inc. never seemed all that interesting as a film though better to do a prequel than a sequel as I believe the first film ended perfectly and should not be messed with.

To me a sequel works best when the film prior to it leaves an open door screaming to be explored or an unresolved issue like with the Toy Story films. None of the other Pixar films seem to fit this so naturally no sequel needed.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Two words:

PIXAR essence
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

You can't kick around "Pixar essence" until John Lassetter snuffs it. Then we can argue about what the company is doing wrong and how the successors are removing all traces of Pixar dust from their later films.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

SpringHeelJack wrote:You can't kick around "Pixar essence" until John Lassetter snuffs it. Then we can argue about what the company is doing wrong and how the successors are removing all traces of Pixar dust from their later films.
With every film I have doubted them, yet in the end I always eat my words. I hope it happens for Cars and Monsters Inc.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I'm hopeful of <i>Cars 2</i>, but not so interested. Honestly, the prospect of the new <i>Toy Story</i> short, a <i>Brave</i> teaser, and a possible <i>Muppets</i> trailer excite me more than the movie itself. I'm even less excited for a second <i>Monsters, Inc.</i>, but it being a prequel should help distinguish it and make it less of a world-changing repeat. The only non-<i>Toy Story</i> sequel I've ever wanted from them is <i>The Incredibles</i> and enough time has passed for that to be more of a challenge than it should have been (but one <i>Toy Story 3</i> proved Pixar is definitely capable of meeting). Pixar has done so much right that it's hard to doubt them and I'm especially interested how the two essentially Pixar live-action movies (<i>John Carter of Mars</i> and <i>1906</i>) turn out.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Pixar Sequels - Wanted, Needed?

Post by Kyle »

littlefuzzy wrote: I haven't seen 3 yet personally.*
Sorry but I stopped reading there.
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

THE INCREDIBLES

Post by Prince Charming 12 »

I would cast my vote for another Incredibles movie. I really enjoyed the initial story and the ending definitely hints of another movie. I would like to see the family around the same point in time though, rather than the kids aging into the "tweens" or teens. Plenty of story material to explore at this point in there lives, now that superheros are welcomed again back into society.
Remember the Magic!