What's so bad about Disney sidekicks?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

ajmrowland wrote: Pocahontas Trio-Percy and Meeko actually make the film's theme of racial equality very obvious. Call it useless, but it helps little kids understand.
I get that. They're still annoying.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I'm mostly okay with Meeko, mainly because he acts as close to a real raccoon as I'd expect him to and doesn't detract too much from the main focus for me. Now, had they gone with the whole talking animals and John Candy as Redfeather, then I'd be less okay with it. On a similar note, that's why I'm good by Djali, Pascal and Cri-kee.

The only one who really sort of rubs me the wrong way is Mushu, actually. In theory, he's not a bad character idea, but Eddie Murphy's performance is so wildly out of place for me that I just can't get over it. I'm okay with the Genie referencing pop culture as it sort of fits his character as mystical being with phenomenal cosmic power, but it doesn't work for me when Mushu talks about bunny slippers and corn chips.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

SpringHeelJack wrote:Genie referencing pop culture as it sort of fits his character as mystical being with phenomenal cosmic power, but it doesn't work for me when Mushu talks about bunny slippers and corn chips.
Or the Gargoyles in Hunchback, who have no powers at all and can magically make things from the future appear...
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Scarred4life wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:Genie referencing pop culture as it sort of fits his character as mystical being with phenomenal cosmic power, but it doesn't work for me when Mushu talks about bunny slippers and corn chips.
Or the Gargoyles in Hunchback, who have no powers at all and can magically make things from the future appear...
Yeah, that too. I'd have less issues with the song if it had a "realistic" setting.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

SpringHeelJack wrote:I'm mostly okay with Meeko, mainly because he acts as close to a real raccoon as I'd expect him to and doesn't detract too much from the main focus for me. Now, had they gone with the whole talking animals and John Candy as Redfeather, then I'd be less okay with it. On a similar note, that's why I'm good by Djali, Pascal and Cri-kee.

The only one who really sort of rubs me the wrong way is Mushu, actually. In theory, he's not a bad character idea, but Eddie Murphy's performance is so wildly out of place for me that I just can't get over it. I'm okay with the Genie referencing pop culture as it sort of fits his character as mystical being with phenomenal cosmic power, but it doesn't work for me when Mushu talks about bunny slippers and corn chips.
Yes, the anachronism is annoying. I don't understand why on one hand Disney tries to recreate 'the mood' of a certain episode and place and on the other hand breaks it off again by throwing in some silly anachronism that has no function in the story.

I don't think the mice are that annoying in Cinderella They are not just there to be funny, they play a crucial part in the story. Maybe there's a scene to many with Lucifer the cat chasing them, but I think it's amusing anyway.

I'm good by Djali too: after all he's not made up by Disney, but a character from the original Victor Hugo novel. So it's logical he's there.

And I love Sebastian from The Little mermaid.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/