DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:12 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 am
Posts: 4273
Location: UK
Will this be the very firs time Menken has been on stage ? I wonder why its taken him so long ..... and my he picked this song to take to the stage. Would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the idea.

My guess would be that if he was on stage, its going to be a very simple performance ? Menken, a piano, the two lovers singing ..... and lanterns / candles ?? OOOOOOOO they could release some lanterns to the audience !!! That would be beautiul :) Or a fire hazzard .... I cant decide which ! :lol:

_________________
… The Film That Gave Voice To A Whole Generation …

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:20 am 
Offline
Limited Edition

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:00 pm
Posts: 1064
DisneyDuster wrote:
I said it was a FACT that Disney made the films feel like the real versions to many, many people, but Tangled doesn’t feel that way to anyone.


Give me one, solid, concrete piece of evidence to back that statement up and I might agree with you. Until then, I still think your talking like you think we should all accept you opinions as fact.

DisneyDuster wrote:
the kinds of changed Disney made to the old films does matter, because it is not just about any change, it’s about a Disney change


:lol: This is one of the strangest arguments I've ever encountered and proves that, to me personally, your judgement is completely clouded by nostalgia. ALL DISNEY ADAPTATIONS ARE CHANGED FROM THE ORIGINAL SOURCE, whether they were made by Walt or not. Accept it and move on. So along with "essence" we now have a "Disney change"? Stop rewriting history and inventing technicalities, you have no evidence to back up the majority of what you say so stop speaking as if your the only person here who is speaking any sense.

DisneyDuster wrote:
It can’t just be any change, it has to be a Disney change.


Seriously, I would love to see the look on the faces of Disney animation's most senior figures if you ever said this to them. :lol:

Sometimes I think I'm too harsh when I reply to you, but it is frustrating that you can't accept opposition to what you say but simply brush it aside and bombard us with reasoning behind make-believe things like "Disney essence" and now the "Disney change". Somtimes you make very good points, at other times you simply don't make sense or seem to be completely unwilling to accept anything someone else says unless it complies with your personal idea of what Disney is and should be. Until you can, people may have an issue with what you say and how you say it.

_________________
We're not going to Guam, are we?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:55 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 7974
Quote:
Zachary Levi and Mandy Moore will be reprising their roles as Flynn Rider and Rapunzel as they perform ‘I See the Light’ while being accompanied by Alan Menken on the piano.


Source(s):
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-new ... rm-oscars/
http://collider.com/oscar-songs-gwyneth ... evi/74643/

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:44 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Mini Van Highway
Escapay wrote:

Also, while I'm glad your broken foot is getting better, I like that it's allowed you to post more. We missed you, Renata! I know you'll probably be off your crutches in a few weeks (?), but don't stay away too long. It's understandable if you can't be a forum regular, but at least stay on recurring status rather than just guest star.


Awww, thanks Albert! I've been feeling a little out of the real world, what with being in Germany for 2 months and then breaking my foot 2 and a half weeks after coming home. It's nice to be a part of the UD world instead for a little bit! (Plus, somehow my current lack of real world activity has made the discussions on the forum much more relevant! ;) )

_________________
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:26 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 6684
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
Big One wrote:
I disagree, there was nothing comical about Gothel. She was actually likable, but not comical. The "creepy" factor is that you actually find her relationship with Rapunzel heartwarming in a lot of ways, unlike with Frollo or Lady Tremaine where it's established at the very start that they have a horribly dominating relationship with their adopted.
Actually, I would say Gothel is exactly like Frollo (with a bit of Ursula’s personality thrown in). “MKB” plays just like the beginning of “Out There,” except more comical (neither the audience or Rapunzel take her seriously). Both villains are clearly evil to the audience from the get-go, and they both manipulate a child they’ve kept isolated from the outside world for years. I know people have found Gothel and Rapunzel to have aspects of a “heartwarming” relationship, but I didn’t see it myself. Gothel didn’t seem to care about Rapunzel at all, and Rapunzel cared for Gothel about as much as Quasimodo cared for Frollo--as an authority figure.

Tremaine is another category altogether, because she doesn’t really put up any pretenses that she cares about Cinderella. I think Cinderella desires a mother-daughter relationship from her, but Tremaine won’t reciprocate. Which makes her much more contemptible than Gothel or Frollo, partially because she displays real emotion towards her own daughters (whereas Gothel and Frollo are entirely self-interested for their entire stories).

Also, just as a side-note, to say Gothel was comical isn't necessarily a put-down. Even Ursula and Frollo had comical moments, and they were both largely intimidating villains.

Quote:
Yeah it was done in Princess and the Frog, but it was done in a lot of other movies too. The difference is that in Princess and the Frog they were frogs, and in Tangled they were full-fledged people. Though I do think Princess and the Frog has a very good relationship between the two central characters, the relationship itself is flawed cause Naveen in particular has absolutely no likable qualities to both the viewer and the Tiana enough for her to fall in love with him. With Rapunzel, Flynn was her very first exposure to the real world, and Flynn is just in it for the pussy ultimately. It makes sense, a naive princess and a worldly thief.
The problem is that most relationships in Disney movies wouldn’t work in the real world (most likely). They often times rely on an “opposites-attract” idea, but--in reality--opposites attract, but then they repel each other. They never really resolve the fact that he’s a skirt-chaser, but he does grow to be attached to Tiana. And that’s why the relationship worked okay for me. That being said, I do find Naveen a superior character to Flynn, personally--they both develop and change by the end, but Bruno Campus gave more life to Naveen.

I think the only reason the copy seems somewhat outrageous to me is because Tangled directly follows TP&TF (and because the ending also seems like a direct cut-and-paste from B&tB, all in the same movie). But there were a lot of copied ideas in the '80s, too. It just came across more egregious for some reason. But that'll probably be less bothersome in a few years' time, after more movies have come out.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:02 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:33 pm
Posts: 1899
Location: Mini Van Highway
Enigmawing, I forgot to comment on your ... art. Nice work! :up:

I'm wondering what someone cleverer than I can do with "The Disney Change."

_________________
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:43 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:49 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Finally got to see Tangled, I wrote a short review. May I say it's purely my opinion and sorry if I offend anyone!!

I should have known this would be a disappointment when Disney [well the studio called Disney which doesn’t much resemble the Disney of yesteryear] in their infinite wisdom changed the title from Rapunzel to Tangled, but as a Disney fan I expect some kind of magic from each animated film. Tangled has little of that magic, it attempts to combine a typical fairytale plot ala Sleeping Beauty with a Shrek-kind of attitude but neither really works-the main story is only mildly involving and even dull at times [with a final act that is a little rushed and almost incoherent], while the humourous element doesn’t really work because it’s not especially funny. The heroine is inconsistently characterised and alternates between superwoman and old-style damsel in distress, while other characters are either wasted [i.e.Maximillian the horse] or start off interesting and then have little done with them [Madame Gotell], and some look like CG recreations of older Disney characters. Honestly, imagine Bolt as a horse? You get Maximillian. The CG is mostly fine, with lovely backgrounds and some gorgeous hair, but Alan Menken’s songs sound like bland rehashes of older songs and are really quite poor. Tangled does entertain if you forget about Disney’s great legacy and seems to be pleasing kids judging from the showing I was at, but it just seems as if Disney are playing safe almost to the point of blandness with Tangled. Even The Princess And The Frog was better than this.
5/10


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:52 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Posts: 2079
Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
Zachary Levi and Mandy Moore will be reprising their roles as Flynn Rider and Rapunzel as they perform ‘I See the Light’ while being accompanied by Alan Menken on the piano.


Awesome. I was wondering if they were going to do that. I guess they will dress Moore up in a blonde wig with flowers (or, at least, I hope so). Put them on a boat followed by lanterns and we're all set.

I guess they can place Toy Story toys on top of Randy Newman's piano, so it's not just him sitting at a boring piano.

_________________
"If your life had a face, I would punch it." - Kim Pine, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:57 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:35 pm
Posts: 151
Disney's Divinity wrote:
Actually, I would say Gothel is exactly like Frollo (with a bit of Ursula’s personality thrown in). “MKB” plays just like the beginning of “Out There,” except more comical (neither the audience or Rapunzel take her seriously). Both villains are clearly evil to the audience from the get-go, and they both manipulate a child they’ve kept isolated from the outside world for years. I know people have found Gothel and Rapunzel to have aspects of a “heartwarming” relationship, but I didn’t see it myself. Gothel didn’t seem to care about Rapunzel at all, and Rapunzel cared for Gothel about as much as Quasimodo cared for Frollo--as an authority figure.

A lot of this is factually wrong. For one, Rapunzel DID have a pretty deep-rooted love for Gothel. Matter of fact when she found out Gothel was practically hunting her, she was pretty startled. The movie establishes that - while Gothel is a manipulative character - that Rapunzel isn't really aware of this. She's able to smile while in her mother's arms, at least:

Image

This is displayed throughout the movie, but honestly I don't really feel like going through screenshots to prove it. My point is that the movie establishes that instead of being scared of her, Rapunzel loves her like a mother. This is a complete twist on the Frollo/Lady Tremaine relationship.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
Tremaine is another category altogether, because she doesn’t really put up any pretenses that she cares about Cinderella. I think Cinderella desires a mother-daughter relationship from her, but Tremaine won’t reciprocate. Which makes her much more contemptible than Gothel or Frollo, partially because she displays real emotion towards her own daughters (whereas Gothel and Frollo are entirely self-interested for their entire stories).

I think you should rewatch Cinderella. Your memory is either bad, or you're looking too deep into things. Cinderella really didn't care much about her mother, and didn't want more from it (of course neither did Rapunzel). Matter of fact it's greatly implied in the movie that she hates her step-mother, and it's established at the beginning that she has a completely dominate relationship with her on the level of a slave. This is even more emphasized later on when her dress gets ripped up by her sisters.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
The problem is that most relationships in Disney movies wouldn’t work in the real world (most likely). They often times rely on an “opposites-attract” idea, but--in reality--opposites attract, but then they repel each other. They never really resolve the fact that he’s a skirt-chaser, but he does grow to be attached to Tiana. And that’s why the relationship worked okay for me.

That's not how real life works. There are a variety of relationships in real life, so in every form of fiction, pretty much any relationship is possible - even the badly characterized ones. The point I was trying to get at is that I don't think Naveen and Tiana's relationship was as good because they developed it as frogs, in what I call the "Frog World" in Princess and the Frog. What I mean by this is when they change into frogs, the whole perspective of the movie changes. There's all of these really, really shitty talking animals all over the place. With every bit of development they have, Louis the alligator has to interrupt and ruin any moment they possibly have. Louis is easily one of the worst Disney characters ever made next to Gurgi from The Black Cauldron, and ruined any possible human-connection the audience had with the characters. In Tangled, Flynn and Rapunzel are in a consistent and believable setting for their own world enough for the audience to connect to them. Though if you connected more to Princess and the Frog then that's okay I guess...if you're a furry.
Disney's Divinity wrote:
I think the only reason the copy seems somewhat outrageous to me is because Tangled directly follows TP&TF (and because the ending also seems like a direct cut-and-paste from B&tB, all in the same movie). But there were a lot of copied ideas in the '80s, too. It just came across more egregious for some reason. But that'll probably be less bothersome in a few years' time, after more movies have come out.

Okay so do you mind pointing out these specific moments?

Cause I don't really get the comparisons with Beauty and the Beast's ending either. :/

I think there is one big offender: The boat scene. This is directly from The Little Mermaid, but in the very least it's done more beautifully and emotionally in Tangled. You can tell they were trying to remake that scene.
King Louis 2010 wrote:
Finally got to see Tangled, I wrote a short review. May I say it's purely my opinion and sorry if I offend anyone!!

I should have known this would be a disappointment when Disney [well the studio called Disney which doesn’t much resemble the Disney of yesteryear] in their infinite wisdom changed the title from Rapunzel to Tangled, but as a Disney fan I expect some kind of magic from each animated film. Tangled has little of that magic, it attempts to combine a typical fairytale plot ala Sleeping Beauty with a Shrek-kind of attitude but neither really works-the main story is only mildly involving and even dull at times [with a final act that is a little rushed and almost incoherent], while the humourous element doesn’t really work because it’s not especially funny. The heroine is inconsistently characterised and alternates between superwoman and old-style damsel in distress, while other characters are either wasted [i.e.Maximillian the horse] or start off interesting and then have little done with them [Madame Gotell], and some look like CG recreations of older Disney characters. Honestly, imagine Bolt as a horse? You get Maximillian. The CG is mostly fine, with lovely backgrounds and some gorgeous hair, but Alan Menken’s songs sound like bland rehashes of older songs and are really quite poor. Tangled does entertain if you forget about Disney’s great legacy and seems to be pleasing kids judging from the showing I was at, but it just seems as if Disney are playing safe almost to the point of blandness with Tangled. Even The Princess And The Frog was better than this.
5/10

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:30 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 6684
Location: North Carolina Gender: Male
Big One wrote:
A lot of this is factually wrong. For one, Rapunzel DID have a pretty deep-rooted love for Gothel. Matter of fact when she found out Gothel was practically hunting her, she was pretty startled. The movie establishes that - while Gothel is a manipulative character - that Rapunzel isn't really aware of this.
I didn't say anything otherwise. My point is that you're calling it a deep, heartwarming relationship (one that goes beyond Frollo-Quasi), when in fact it's entirely one-sided to Rapunzel, just like with Frollo-Quasi.

Quote:
My point is that the movie establishes that instead of being scared of her, Rapunzel loves her like a mother. This is a complete twist on the Frollo/Lady Tremaine relationship.
Um...no, it isn't. Both Quasi and Cinderella have a lot of respect and/or love for Frollo and Tremaine at the beginning of those films. If Quasi didn't, he wouldn't have been as easily manipulated by Frollo, or even try to save him at the end after he's just tried to stab him multiple times.

Quote:
I think you should rewatch Cinderella. Your memory is either bad, or you're looking too deep into things. Cinderella really didn't care much about her mother, and didn't want more from it (of course neither did Rapunzel). Matter of fact it's greatly implied in the movie that she hates her step-mother, and it's established at the beginning that she has a completely dominate relationship with her on the level of a slave. This is even more emphasized later on when her dress gets ripped up by her sisters.

Actually, I'm not reading too deep into things. There are several times throughout the movie where Cinderella looks up to her stepmother, particularly the scene where the letter for the ball comes, where she actually expects Tremaine to be fair and just to her. Throughout the early scenes, Cinderella expresses disdain for the stepsisters and Lucifer, but she actually looks to Tremaine as an authority figure.

And you should also pick up The Disney Villain. In an early draft of that scene, Cinderella says something akin to, "I'll make you proud!" when the Stepmother says she can go to the ball if she finishes her chores. And that feeling is still there in the story. It's also interesting that when Cinderella realizes that Tremaine is not at all intending to be a mother to her (the dress ripping scene that she causes), she runs to the willow tree. Where her mother is buried in the tale, and--poof--a fairy godmother appears.

Also, btw, I don't think you could ever read too "deep" into anything. You must come from the school of thought that fairy tales and Disney movies are just simple, little, superficial stories. In fact, there is a lot more going on under the surface, more often than not. Of course, you're free to think that. Doesn't mean we all do though.

Quote:
That's not how real life works. There are a variety of relationships in real life, so in every form of fiction, pretty much any relationship is possible - even the badly characterized ones.
Um...could you stop talking down to every one? If you had any sense of context, you would know I was making a joke on the assumption that "opposites attract"--I wasn't saying that's how all relationships are. I'm not sure why you're attempting to be so antagonistic, when all I'm doing is trying to have a drama-free discussion.

Quote:
The point I was trying to get at is that I don't think Naveen and Tiana's relationship was as good because they developed it as frogs, in what I call the "Frog World" in Princess and the Frog. What I mean by this is when they change into frogs, the whole perspective of the movie changes. There's all of these really, really shitty talking animals all over the place. With every bit of development they have, Louis the alligator has to interrupt and ruin any moment they possibly have.
So development only actually happens if the characters are human? And Pascal and Maximillian don't interrupt the movie for their humor (in fact, Pascal does just that when Rapunzel's hair glows in the fireside scene)?

Quote:
Louis is easily one of the worst Disney characters ever made next to Gurgi from The Black Cauldron, and ruined any possible human-connection the audience had with the characters.
This is an opinion, not a fact (as you would point out).

While I think Louis could have been given better lines in the movie--and he could've definitely be cut out of a few crucial scenes--I actually think he's reall well-voiced. I think it might've helped if he, like Ray, were more connected to the story. In fact, in early plans for the movie, he was described as an early victim of Dr. Facilier, who used to be human. I think he had come to Facilier to be a jazz-playing star. I don't know why they cut that idea, because I think it would've helped the character a lot.

Quote:
In Tangled, Flynn and Rapunzel are in a consistent and believable setting for their own world enough for the audience to connect to them. Though if you connected more to Princess and the Frog then that's okay I guess...if you're a furry.
Um...you do realize the frogs were...really human, right? They change back at the end. Also, you have seen Lady & the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, The Lion King, The Rescuers, and so on, where two anthropomorphic animals fall in love?

Quote:
Okay so do you mind pointing out these specific moments?

Cause I don't really get the comparisons with Beauty and the Beast's ending either. :/
Um...the hero dies, and the heroine's love brings him back to life--all with beautiful, dazzling, magical lights? Following the villains fall off the castle (in this case, tower). That part was a pretty blatant copy--though not as effective as in B&tB, imo.

Of course, all the fairy tale films have similar ideas (SB being kissed just like Snow White), but they usually do it in a rather different way each time. Where this felt like they were just trying to copy past '90s successes for ideas.

Quote:
I think there is one big offender: The boat scene. This is directly from The Little Mermaid, but in the very least it's done more beautifully and emotionally in Tangled. You can tell they were trying to remake that scene.
Yes, it is.

And while I agree it's more emotional in Tangled, the scene from Mermaid itself is equally as beautiful to "IStL." And "Kiss the Girl" far and away wins, music-wise.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:58 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 am
Posts: 417
Location: Berkeley, CA
I thought the movie was pretty fantastic...my one complaint/confusion is from when Rapunzel and Flynn escape from below the bar (The Ugly Duckling?)...why does it go out into the desert? It just came out of nowhere for me. I'm also not hot on the song "I Have a Dream", but fortunately "I See the Light" is great enough to make up for it.

Also, from a score perspective, I don't think it stands out next to Menken's better works like "Little Mermaid" and "Pocahontas", but I do love "Kingdom Dance" and the beginning of "The Tear Heals". Gorgeous stuff! As a whole, the soundtrack/score isn't great to listen to on its own, but it works just fine in the movie.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:59 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 7974
The Diz
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/diz.html

Quote:
Going into the Hat Building today, Tangled displays are much in evidence. There's a nice sign celebrating the feature reaching the $400 million mark (only now it's $450 million), and interviews and clips are playing on various monitors.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:01 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:39 am
Posts: 417
Location: Berkeley, CA
Quote:
While I think Louis could have been given better lines in the movie--and he could've definitely be cut out of a few crucial scenes--I actually think he's reall well-voiced. I think it might've helped if he, like Ray, were more connected to the story. In fact, in early plans for the movie, he was described as an early victim of Dr. Facilier, who used to be human. I think he had come to Facilier to be a jazz-playing star. I don't know why they cut that idea, because I think it would've helped the character a lot.


That's interesting! I didn't know that. That kind of makes sense though, since why would Louis know much about jazz or want to play trumpet if he hadn't been a human before? When I listened to the soundtrack (before seeing the movie), I thought he had been a human before based on what he says in "When We're Human", though it works for his actual movie storyline as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:10 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 am
Posts: 4273
Location: UK
Sotiris wrote:
The Diz
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/diz.html

Quote:
Going into the Hat Building today, Tangled displays are much in evidence. There's a nice sign celebrating the feature reaching the $400 million mark (only now it's $450 million), and interviews and clips are playing on various monitors.


What brilliant news !! I'm so, so happy the movie is doing so well; but beyond that as well, that Disney are also so proud of it as well.

_________________
… The Film That Gave Voice To A Whole Generation …

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:12 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am
Posts: 4790
Forgive me but I gotta stick for my bro here. While you are cool person, Divinity, I can't help but think with all the "Umm... [insert respond]", seems come off a bit...obnoxious... whatever. To the responds.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I didn't say anything otherwise. My point is that you're calling it a deep, heartwarming relationship (one that goes beyond Frollo-Quasi), when in fact it's entirely one-sided to Rapunzel, just like with Frollo-Quasi.

What he's referring is that Gothel didn't release any abusiveness toward her outright(until very very end). Where as it's outright obvious even to quasi about Quasi/Frollo relationship as a master and servant(like the alphabet lesson). Gothel made Rapunzel "feel" like a daughter. Where as Frollo made Quasi feel like a servant, a negative servant ridden with "monster guilt".

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Um...no, it isn't. Both Quasi and Cinderella have a lot of respect and/or love for Frollo and Tremaine at the beginning of those films. If Quasi didn't, he wouldn't have been as easily manipulated by Frollo, or even try to save him at the end after he's just tried to stab him multiple times.

Frollo ruled Quasi by fear. Quasi knew this as you can tell by the facial expression Quasi give off from whenever Frollo appears or whenever Quasi blurt out something he knows Frollo would rage over. Gothel wouldn't express severe rage or disappointment toward Rapunzel if she said something that could trivia Gothel's goals, but rather "direct" her course the other way.
As for Cindy. Watch the scene where Tremaine calls Cindy in her room after mice accident. You can tell just their looks on their face that both hate each other's guts deep inside. Cindy holding her self back as she stares out at Tremaine and her demanding orders. Kinda like relationship between a soldier and his asshole LT. in Vietnam. Solider hates LT's guts but still have to abide his orders.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Actually, I'm not reading too deep into things. There are several times throughout the movie where Cinderella looks up to her stepmother, particularly the scene where the letter for the ball comes, where she actually expects Tremaine to be fair and just to her. Throughout the early scenes, Cinderella expresses disdain for the stepsisters and Lucifer, but she actually looks to Tremaine as an authority figure.

No where I find this. The scene I mention above, seem to indicate the opposite of what you are trying to say. As for the invitation, it's also a possibility that because the ball invitation is such new and difference change that has happen to her life in the chateau that all her thoughts and experience of the mistreatment that she endure could of been brush aside at the time and she wasn't thinking much about it.
Sort of like how after she found out the prince want's her sexy body and the shoe will determine it, she carelessly gave away her secret to Tremaine when she gets lovey-dovy.


Disney's Divinity wrote:
Also, btw, I don't think you could ever read too "deep" into anything. You must come from the school of thought that fairy tales and Disney movies are just simple, little, superficial stories.

Actually he doesn't think that at all but rather some stuff are overly analyze a bit more than it meant to be. However Disney is much more simpler than other animated movies or series he or I have come to watched.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Um...could you stop talking down to every one? If you had any sense of context, you would know I was making a joke on the assumption that "opposites attract"--I wasn't saying that's how all relationships are. I'm not sure why you're attempting to be so antagonistic, when all I'm doing is trying to have a drama-free discussion.

Even I couldn't tell you were joking. and your last sentence make you sound like BellePrince, LOL.



Disney's Divinity wrote:
So development only actually happens if the characters are human? And Pascal and Maximillian don't interrupt the movie for their humor (in fact, Pascal does just that when Rapunzel's hair glows in the fireside scene)?

The title is called Princess and the Frog. So naturally you would expect the relationship core is a princess as a human and a frog(which is also human but as a frog..) Not two humans turned into frogs.(then it should of been called "Frogs". LOL) While development occur as them as frogs, it contradict the title which make us think we will watch relationship of a girl who meets a prince curse as a Frog and will try help change so.


Disney's Divinity wrote:
This is an opinion, not a fact (as you would point out).
Never said it was a fact :p


Disney's Divinity wrote:
In fact, in early plans for the movie, he was described as an early victim of Dr. Facilier, who used to be human. I think he had come to Facilier to be a jazz-playing star. I don't know why they cut that idea, because I think it would've helped the character a lot.
That would of saved his character a lot. Fact they took it out shows the writers weren't thinking.


Disney's Divinity wrote:
Um...you do realize the frogs were...really human, right? They change back at the end.
Yeah he does but refer to my respond up above why he said that.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Also, you have seen Lady & the Tramp, 101 Dalmatians, The Lion King, The Rescuers, and so on, where two anthropomorphic animals fall in love?
He seen those and hate Lady and the Tramp. But also all those characters are establish animals to begin with, so make sense. In PatF case, the majority of it was between two humans as Frogs, when it could of just been one as a frog(the prince) and Tiana remain human. Why did both have to become frogs? Make no sense.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Um...the hero dies, and the heroine's love brings him back to life--all with beautiful, dazzling, magical lights? Following the villains fall off the castle (in this case, tower). That part was a pretty blatant copy--though not as effective as in B&tB, imo.
Never even saw that as copy begin with. And beside endings like that a very common in a Disney movies so I don't see the complaint.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Where this felt like they were just trying to copy past '90s successes for ideas.
On contrary, if anything, tPatF does that actually. Especially with the advertisement it tried doing with showing the fab four and then showing PatF. Like this one:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xEVBc2Jtwx4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xEVBc2Jtwx4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

_________________
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:35 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 7974
New Disney Princess books featuring Rapunzel:

Image

Image

Image

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:47 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:59 am
Posts: 4790
Sotiris wrote:
New Disney Princess books featuring Rapunzel:

Image

Image

Image


YAY for COPYPASTA!

_________________
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The box!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:49 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:02 pm
Posts: 4196
Location: one with the wind and sky
Jackoleen wrote:
Best. Day. Ever. Douching Solution! Have an organic feminine cleansing experience with ingredients from Mother Gothel's herb garden.

rotfl

pinkrenata wrote:
Enigmawing, I forgot to comment on your ... art. Nice work! :up:

I'm wondering what someone cleverer than I can do with "The Disney Change."


Heh heh, thanks! You never know when inspiration will strike. :p I wish I was feeling more clever these days, but I'll put it on the back-burner. ;)

* * *

Oh, I wanted to post a new/old Rapunzel pic! Mokka456 was awesome about posting several scans from the Art of Tangled book in the last thread, and I fell in love with one of the sketches Glen Keane did of Rapunzel:

Image

Then again, I'm in love with all his sketches. :p Anyway, I really liked the pose and expression so I thought it would be fun to do some practice coloring today. :)

Image

She seems so mature and serious (Rey says she looks bad-ass, lol)! I'm happy with the darker colors for her dress. :)

_________________
Image Blu-rays! The artist formerly known as enigmawing.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:55 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:07 am
Posts: 1187
Location: Maine
Simply beautiful! <3

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:24 am 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 123
Location: Netherlands
Just thought i'd share these Dutch (and Belgian?) DVD/Blu-ray covers :)

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DisneyEra and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group