Disney Legends

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Disney Legends

Post by Semaj »

The Disney Legends Award is not being presented this year.

There are many old timers who for some odd reason have not received their awards yet.

Among them:

-Eyvind Earle: Painted backgrounds for several shorts during the 50's, and for Lady and the Tramp and Sleeping Beauty.

-Clyde Geronimi: Animator during the 1930's. Co-directed Disney's animated films between 1948 and 1961.

-Jack Kinney: Directed the Goofy series from 1940 to 1953, and Donald Duck's only Oscar-winning film.

-Jack King: Directed the Donald series from 1937 to 1948. Writers Jack Hannah and Carl Barks grew their careers under his supervision.

-Art Stevens: Animated various shorts and movies. Co-directed The Rescuers upon John Lounsberry's death.

-Gustaf Tenggren: Visual development artist for Snow White and Pinocchio.

-Edward Plumb: Co-composer for Bambi, and other Disney projects.

-Verna Felton: Voice actress of Cinderella's Fairy Godmother and Alice in Wonderland's Queen of Hearts among others.

Any others?
Last edited by Semaj on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

That is ridicules. Some great talent on that list.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

I can not believe Verna Felton isn't in the Hall of Fame! She did the voice of so many great Disney characters and was apart of al of the 1950's Disney movies which many consider to be the best of the company. Shocking!
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

- Floyd Gottfredson: worked in the Disney Studios from the early days of Mickey Mouse (hired in 1929). Was the artist behind the classic Mickey newspaper comic from 1930-1975! He worked on that strip for 45 years. In that time, he had the same impact on Mickey that Carl Barks had on Donald Duck. He (and his writers) made Mickey into an adventurous hero. His stories are among the best Disney has ever put out.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Clyde Geronimi is over due if you ask me.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

It's not being presented? Did they just decide that some of the most significant contributors to the Disney legacy from the past century aren't worth visiting?

This annoys me. Especially since there are some people who I, personally, think should have had to wait for their turn until after some of the people on this list were inducted.

I mean, Eyvind Earle for goodness sakes! Mr. Sleeping Beauty himself! He should have had a plaque in the Disney Hall of Legends long ago. There's plenty of space, I have seen it with my own two eyes.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Eleanor Audley, voice of Cinderella's stepmother, Sleeping Beauty's Maleficent, and The Haunted Mansion's Madame Leota
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I would agree that Eleanor Audley and Verna Felton are deserving of the award along with J. Pat O'Malley. I think Clyde Geronimi and Eyvind Earle will definitely and deservedly get the award in the future, it's just a matter of time until Disney finally inducts them.

The Disney Legends site says Floyd Gottfredson was inducted in 2003.

On a side note, having just looked it up on Wikipedia, the site says there are people being inducted this year. They are James Baskett, Tom Hanks, Jim Cumming, Frank Welker and Aaron Spelling. The Disney Legends site doesn't list this however so perhaps this information is wrong, taking into account the unreliability of Wikipedia.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Major Disney Legends oversights:

Eyvind Earle
Bobby Driscoll
Guy Williams
Ed Wynn
James MacArthur
Eleanor Audley
Evelyn Kennedy
Verna Felton
Bill Thompson
Janet Munro
Clyde Geronomi
James Baskett
Darlene Gillespie
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:The Disney Legends site says Floyd Gottfredson was inducted in 2003.
I had read that Carl Barks was the only comic book artist who was ever granted the Disney Legend Award. (Of course, this was in a book from... 2003!) Thanks for the information. Good to know Gottfredson got acknowledged.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:On a side note, having just looked it up on Wikipedia, the site says there are people being inducted this year. They are James Baskett, Tom Hanks, Jim Cumming, Frank Welker and Aaron Spelling. The Disney Legends site doesn't list this however so perhaps this information is wrong, taking into account the unreliability of Wikipedia.
Nah, Floyd Norman told me they weren't doing it this year. He's among the first to know these things.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

Perhaps Deborah Walley, star of "Bon Voyage" and "Summer Magic".

Not to mention Lesley Ann Warren and John Davidson, the leads in both "The Happiest Millionaire" and "The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band".
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID10042790.asp

The Disney Legend awards will return at the D23 Expo. The 2011 inductees are:

Jodi Benson - voice of Ariel
Barton Boyd - revolutionised Disney merchandising
Jim Henson - creator of the Muppets
Linda Larkin - voice of Jasmine
Paige O'Hara - voice of Belle
Regis Philbin - Emmy-award winning television personality
Jack and Bonita Wrather - created the Disneyland Hotel
Anika Noni Rose - voice of Tiana
Lea Salonga - singing voice of Jasmine and Mulan
Ray Watson - former chairman of the Walt Disney Company
Guy Williams - portrayed Zorro in the Disney television series and films
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

You'd think Jim Henson and Guy Willaims would've been inducted years ago into Disney Legends. It's bout time for these 2 great talents finaly bein honored for their contribution to Disney History, does anybody know if Gene Sheldon or Henry Calvin (Bernard/Seg. Garcia from Zorro) are inducted??

Not that I'm against the 90s princesses (Jodi Benson, Paige O'Hara, Linda Larkin) bein inducted (which I'm thrilled) but I thought round 2000 they were inducted then again i could be wrong. Congrats to this year's Legends
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Hooray for Guy Williams anyway!!! Way past due.

Too bad they didn't give the award to James MacArthur before he passed last year (doing it this year would have been a nice tribute).

I hope they remember Bobby Driscoll, Eyvind Earle, Ed Wynn, Eleanor Audley, Verna Felton, Bill Thompson, James Baskett and the rest before the company becomes completely divorced from the Walt era.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Lucille La Verne the voice of the Evil Queen/Old Hag. Are Betty Lou Gerson and Pat Carroll in the Disney Legends??
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

They're obviously promoting the Disney Princesses this year, because isn't it too early for Anika Noni Rose to get a Disney Legends award?
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Semaj wrote:They're obviously promoting the Disney Princesses this year, because isn't it too early for Anika Noni Rose to get a Disney Legends award?
I agree with you Semaj, it does seem alil too early, I mean yes Princess Tiana will go down in Disney history as the 1st african american princess, but I'd wait 20 yrs before inducting Anika Noni Rose (to see how much impact Tiana had on the public).

Bobby Driscroll, Verna Felton, Lucille La Verne, Betty Lou Gerson and Pat Carroll defintly deserve to be inducted.
Last edited by Mason_Ireton on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Betty Lou Gerson has been inducted in 1996. I agree that there are a lot of other voice actors who are deserving of the recognition, Verna Felton, Sterling Holloway, Bill Thompson, J. Pat O'Malley, Eleanor Audley all spring to mind.
Last edited by DisneyAnimation88 on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Luckily, Sterling Holloway has already been recognized as a Disney Legend.