Disney Legends

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Re: Disney Legends

Post by bruno_wbt »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Maybe just maybe Christina will be part of another upcoming project? (I have no info, just speculating)...

Maybe she has a new song for the end credits of Mulan (live-action)?

That would be great!

(Like when Celine Dion returned for the end credits of Beauty and the Beast live-action)
NeoSuperBlissey
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeoSuperBlissey »

This news about Xtina really screwed up my plans for the Disney Legends video I'm working on. Had to re-record the entire narration to accommodate her!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

bruno_wbt wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:Maybe just maybe Christina will be part of another upcoming project? (I have no info, just speculating)...

Maybe she has a new song for the end credits of Mulan (live-action)?

That would be great!

(Like when Celine Dion returned for the end credits of Beauty and the Beast live-action)
Yes!! I’d love for her to do that. Her newest album, Liberation, was up there with Stripped and Back to Basics, at her best. I’d love for her to make a new song while she’s in a good space again, now she’s no longer on The Voice, making quality music. :D
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This award becomes more meaningless each time. Ellen Pompeo? Anthony Anderson? Tracee Ellis Ross? Really? :roll:
The Disney Legends Award is given to an individual who has made an extraordinary contribution to the Disney legacy, and this year’s honorees include Anthony Anderson, Kristen Bell, Chadwick Boseman, Rob’t Coltrin, Patrick Dempsey, Robert Price “Bob” Foster, Jonathan Groff, Don Hahn, Josh Gad, Doris Hardoon, Idina Menzel, Chris Montan, Ellen Pompeo, and Tracee Ellis Ross. Emmy® Award winner Tamron Hall will host, bringing her signature warmth and humor to the fan-favorite ceremony.
Source: https://d23.com/disney-legends-d23-expo-2022/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

And still no Tom Hanks despite voicing Woody, playing Walt Disney himself and playing Geppetto in the upcoming Pinocchio remake.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think it's too odd when you consider the ABC connection. Who knew Grey's Anatomy would still be going at this point? I never liked that show, even though I liked a few of the actors (Sanra Oh being the main one, Chandra Wilson, Heigl, Knight). Admittedly, I have watched episodes over the years whenever an advertisement looked interesting. Lately, I tuned in a couple of times because I saw Chris Carmack in a preview and I always thought he was cute, hadn't seen him in anything in a while.

As far as Shonda Rimes shows go, I liked Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder better. I slowly tapered off watching the latter as the first season drew on, even though I liked Viola Davis and the main actor (the one from the HP films). Scandal at its peak (season 2) was brilliant, but it went to the dogs in season 3 and never recovered, imo.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I'm a little surprised and disappointed at this year's inductees, but I'm still excited to attend the ceremony.

If anything, I'm surprised that it's taken this long for Don Hahn to be inducted. But who has Joe Rohde pissed off to not make it in by now?
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

are the four Frozen voice cast members being honored for their individual work for Disney, or together as an ensemble voice work on Frozen? If its the later they should have honored Santino Fontana as well.

And also what are the chances we get a Frozen 3 announcement?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

unprincess wrote:And also what are the chances we get a Frozen 3 announcement?
I think it's very likely, I wouldn't rule it out.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I'm glad it wasn't just me who was disappointed in the inductees this year.
I was really rooting for Ginnifer Goodwin to get one, as she has done an awful lot for the company outside of her two main roles as Snow White and Judy Hopps.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

2024 Disney Legends announced: Miley Cyrus, Harrison Ford among honorees
The 2024 inductees include:

Colleen Atwood, costume design
Angela Bassett, film and television
Martha Blanding, parks and resorts
James L. Brooks, television
James Cameron, film
Jamie Lee Curtis, film
Miley Cyrus, television and music
Steve Ditko, publishing
Harrison Ford, film
Mark Henn, animation
Frank Oz, film and television
Kelly Ripa, television
Joe Rohde, Imagineering
John Williams, music
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Wow… Joe Rohde is only now getting a Disney Legends award?!? That is so surprising to me. He is the Walt Disney of Animal Kingdom… that whole park is basically his vision. He should have gotten this honor years ago.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

OK, there are some eyebrow-raising entries like Kelly Ripa, but thankfully there's nothing too outrageous this time around. I'm happy for Mark Henn the most.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 pm OK, there are some eyebrow-raising entries like Kelly Ripa, but thankfully there's nothing too outrageous this time around.
With the exception of Miley Cyrus. And no, it`s not because of how I was overly sick with her franchise back in the day. But due to the lengths that she went to distance herself from her Disney past in her first post-Disney period, it`s remarkable how she gets even credited as a legend. Sure, she was the Disney Queen of her time, but she went to great pains to detract herself from her title.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Imo, the “Disney Legends” Honors lost credibility years again. I hardly pay attention to them anymore...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Well, you're not wrong...
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Sotiris wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:54 am ^Well, you're not wrong...
And just about everyone who I consider a true Disney Legend has passed or has already been given the honor...

Each succeeding list seems accompanied by the sound of a barrel being scraped.

I’m sure Halle Bailey, Ariana DeBose and Rachel Zegler will be so “honored” at some point. I only hope I’m long gone by then 💀...
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I'd like to see the inductions for Joe Rohde, Mark Henn and Steve Ditko the most, but since this is going to be a Honda Center presentation, I don't think I'll make that happen. I'm sticking to the cheaper convention center-only option.

Anyway, who wants to bet we'll hear news about Freaky Friday 2 before Jamie Lee Curtis' induction?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Escapay wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 pm The "Disney Legends" awards began simply as a promotional push for "Shaggy Dog Month" on Disney Channel. Granted, this was when The Disney Channel was actually invested in celebrating its history while still providing something new (I think Jeff Kurtti dubbed it "the PBS of cable" at one point). But even so, the awards were never meant to be given the "prestige" that fans heap(ed) on it in later years. It's a nice celebration, an official recognition of one's past-and-present contributions to The Walt Disney Company. But let's be honest, awards (Disney Legends or otherwise) are really just contemporary pats-on-the-back for their time. Fifty years from now, we may see Miley Cyrus get one, as those involved in the selection process likely will have been children who grew up watching "Hannah Montana" and have fond pre-internet-cynicism memories of the show.

Albert
Wow, I was way off in my prediction. It only took 11 years, not 50 years.

I've softened towards the Disney Legends awards compared to my previous comments in this thread. It may have had a humble start as a cable channel promotion, but has grown immensely to mean something worthwhile to the company, even if the Iger-era inductees often skew more towards contemporary talent rather than historical recognition. After thirty-seven years of this award's existence, well-known Disney figures such as Eleanor Audley and Vincent McEveety still have never been recognized. And if Steve Whitmire's claims are to be believed, the award has also lost some of its luster as it can be offered as a bargaining tool (or, in his words, a consolation prize) rather than prestige. I doubt there will ever be a year where someone will look at the lineup and say, "All of them are such deserving folks," especially as The Walt Disney Company has so many sub-sections to represent so some choices seem unexpected or considered undeserving because it's from a branch of Disney that doesn't always get noticed.

In particular, it warms my heart to see Kelly Ripa among the honorees this year. The majority of her career has been with ABC/Disney (eleven years with "All My Children," the entire run of "Hope & Faith," ten years hosting the Walt Disney World Christmas parade, and her ongoing hosting of "Live!"), she's become as much a mainstay to their television brand as previous soap opera honoree Susan Lucci (2015). Also, just for the soap opera nerd in me, thanks to Kelly Ripa and Angela Bassett, we've now got eleven Disney Legends who have worked in soap operas.

As mentioned before, Ripa spent eleven years as Hayley Vaughn on "All My Children," while Angela Bassett began her career played Selena McCulla on "Search for Tomorrow." They join the following Disney Legends: 1998's Dick Van Dyke (Timothy Robicheaux on "Days of our Lives"), 2009's Rue McClanahan (Caroline Johnson on "Another World," Margaret Jardin on "Where the Heart Is"), 2009's Betty White (Brenda Barlow on "Another World," Ann Douglas on "The Bold and the Beautiful"), 2011's Regis Philbin (Malachy Malone on "Ryan's Hope"), 2015's Susan Lucci (Erica Kane Martin Brent Cudahy Chandler Roy Roy Montgomery Montgomery Chandler Marick Marick Montgomery on "All My Children"), 2017's Mark Hamill (Kent Murray on "General Hospital"), 2017's Ming-Na Wen (Lien Hughes on "As the World Turns"), 2022's Chadwick Boseman (Reggie Montgomery on "All My Children"), and 2022's Jonathan Groff (Henry Mackler on "One Life to Live").

Here's hoping at the next Disney Legends award ceremony (2026?) they honor Genie Francis for her nearly-50 years portraying Laura Vining Webber Baldwin Spencer Cassadine Spencer Baldwin Collins on "General Hospital." Given that the soap has always been ABC's favorite, I'm genuinely surprised no one connected to the show has been Disney Legend'ed yet, but I would love for Genie to be the first.

Alby
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I totally could get behind the legendary Genie Francis receiving a Disney Legends award. She has given GH fans over 47 years (on and off) of wonderful performances.