Fantasia: 2-Movie Collection - 11/30/10 (Part 2)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Fantasia: 2-Movie Collection - 11/30/10 (Part 2)

Post by zackisthewalrus »

"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

I feel torn. Being the combo pack lover than I am, I can't believe that they're skimming on the special features for a Blu Ray release of this film. Surprisingly there's a full length documentary for the the Destino short but no documentary for Fantasia?

This is messed up!
disneyftw1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by disneyftw1 »

toonaspie wrote: Surprisingly there's a full length documentary for the the Destino short but no documentary for Fantasia?
This is messed up!
This is where it doesn't make sense: an 80-minute documentary for a 7-minute short? WHAT?! (makes me wish that I should've gotten Fantasia Legacy collection when I had a chance.)
:x
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

disneyftw1 wrote:
toonaspie wrote: Surprisingly there's a full length documentary for the the Destino short but no documentary for Fantasia?
This is messed up!
This is where it doesn't make sense: an 80-minute documentary for a 7-minute short? WHAT?! (makes me wish that I should've gotten Fantasia Legacy collection when I had a chance.)
:x
There IS still a chance! I just received my copy of The Fantasia Anthology that I got on eBay for $58!! It's gorgeous and I'm so glad I did it, especially since this new release seems completely different.
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

Ungrateful

Post by Lorddh »

It amazes me how UNGRATEFUL people are.

I'm absolutely excited for this to come out! I'm counting the days...
and the cover is superb.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Re: Ungrateful

Post by jpanimation »

Lorddh wrote:It amazes me how UNGRATEFUL people are.
It annoys me when people say that. Seriously, should we just be grateful that Disney is - out of the kindness of their hearts - allowing us the opportunity to hand them our hard earned money (complete satisfaction withholding)?
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney as corporation are heartless sadists, no question.

My sole problem is that I want Fantasia separately from the sequel. No if's, and's, or but's. If it doesn't come separately, I'm goin' back to eBay and getting the old one.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lorddh »

jpanimation wrote:
Lorddh wrote:It amazes me how UNGRATEFUL people are.
It annoys me when people say that. Seriously, should we just be grateful that Disney is - out of the kindness of their hearts - allowing us the opportunity to hand them our hard earned money (complete satisfaction withholding)?
Then don't buy the movie and save your hard earned money.
I thought people bought the film because they loved it... and now because they didn't add some of the things that you wanted, which shouldn't matter because you're buying it for the film, doesn't make the movie worthy. Obviously you don't care about the films.

and like the guy under us said. I also disliked that they put the movies in one.. I mean they're both different films, which makes them worthy of having their individual cases.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I care about bonus features as well... But I think I'd be happy with the documentary from the THX Anniversary edition and... A TRAILER! If YouTube has it, Disney, you guys do. Cough it up!

While I agree the film is important, we buy these DVD's for more than just the film. And this company has (well- had) a reputation when it came to their Platinum, Special, and Masterpiece Editions. But I guess that was years ago when we could rely on the company to produce quality bonus features... I shouldn't complain really, because they were also nice enough to Vault 'em after only a few months too. But the divider is the fact that they still expect us to pay top dollar for often inferior re-releases (Great Mouse Detective) and the same thing we've already bought with maybe one or two little scraps added (Alice in Wonderland, Black Cauldron).
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

Lorddh wrote:
jpanimation wrote: It annoys me when people say that. Seriously, should we just be grateful that Disney is - out of the kindness of their hearts - allowing us the opportunity to hand them our hard earned money (complete satisfaction withholding)?
Then don't buy the movie and save your hard earned money.
I thought people bought the film because they loved it... and now because they didn't add some of the things that you wanted, which shouldn't matter because you're buying it for the film, doesn't make the movie worthy. Obviously you don't care about the films.

and like the guy under us said. I also disliked that they put the movies in one.. I mean they're both different films, which makes them worthy of having their individual cases.
What a joker. If you care about the films enough you'd want to know more hence special features.

But, you're already a lost cause so continue spreading the knowledge you've gained from living under that rock.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I don't think anyone here has said that they don't value the film or that they aren't happy that it's getting re-released on blu. It's just aggravating when the anthology set was sooooooo good that we'd now be saddled with this obviously inferior (aside from the picture and Destino) release. Especially when it would have been relatively easy to just port over some of those special features over.

Another point is that this edition was at one point supposed to be a Platinum Edition that was supposed to be released last spring. To me it's obvious that some new special features were planned, but for whatever reason never came to be.

We were also at one point promissed the Fantasia World thing.

It's just hard not to be disappointed with this release, after having been given glimpses of all the things it could've/should've been.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

BK wrote: What a joker. If you care about the films enough you'd want to know more hence special features.

But, you're already a lost cause so continue spreading the knowledge you've gained from living under that rock.
Not really. I love various videogames. I don't want to know how they were programmed to enjoy them. I don't want to know how JK Rowling came up with some of her ideas for Harry Potter to enjoy the books more or less.

You don't need to know anything about a film to enjoy it more. In fact, Spielberg is against commentaries because he feels the only way to appreciate a movie is to watch the movie - not have somebody talking over it. At least Speilberg allows "making ofs" on his releases though - David Lynch notoriously is against any form of documentary about his films - going as far as to refuse even chapter stops on most of his DVDs.

The most important bit is the film. The fact that Disney have invested in a new restoration and transfer, and I can get both films for the price of a single Blu-ray, means that I'm more than happy with this release - regardless of the fact that I'm also getting a feature-length documentary on Dali and Disney plus a few more assorted odds and sods.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
stitchje1981
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stitchje1981 »

Lorddh wrote:I'm absolutely excited for this to come out! I'm counting the days...
and the cover is superb.
So am I (again :) )
That cover is SO AWESOME
Mr. Yagoobian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr. Yagoobian »

2099net wrote:The most important bit is the film. The fact that Disney have invested in a new restoration and transfer, and I can get both films for the price of a single Blu-ray, means that I'm more than happy with this release - regardless of the fact that I'm also getting a feature-length documentary on Dali and Disney plus a few more assorted odds and sods.
+1
singerguy04 wrote:I don't think anyone here has said that they don't value the film or that they aren't happy that it's getting re-released on blu. It's just aggravating when the anthology set was sooooooo good that we'd now be saddled with this obviously inferior (aside from the picture and Destino) release. Especially when it would have been relatively easy to just port over some of those special features over.

Another point is that this edition was at one point supposed to be a Platinum Edition that was supposed to be released last spring. To me it's obvious that some new special features were planned, but for whatever reason never came to be.

We were also at one point promissed the Fantasia World thing.

It's just hard not to be disappointed with this release, after having been given glimpses of all the things it could've/should've been.
We were never *promised* anything. Anyone who's going to get emotionally invested in advance press materials for products that do not yet exist need to develop strong coping skills for dealing with disappointment...or realize than in the world of home media, such information means absolutely nothing more than what *might* come to pass.

If I'm going to purchase a subsequent release of a film I already own, the *last* thing I want is ported bonus content from prior releases---unless there's an upgrade in presentation quality. Where's the incentive to buy what I already own? Would this release be stronger if with more bonus content? Undoubtedly. Is there really much more they can give us than has already been released on the Anthology? Probably not. And if that content is available through BD-Live in the virtual vault, this *is* the definitive release.

This film is my all-time favorite---not favorite Disney animated classic, favorite *film*, period---and has been for more than three and half decades. And I love special features (though I can think of no greater waste of hard media space than a *trailer*, which sole function is to get me to go see or buy the film---if I've got the package, why do I want a commercial for it?) But I've got too many demands made on my time to watch all the bonus content on releases I've already owned for a year or more, though I've seen the films multiple times since bringing them home....and there are only a scant handful of bonus features I've ever watched more than once.

The fact that Fantasia is going to look and sound better with this release than it has since its original theatrical engagement is far more important than any amount of extras they could tack on---period. Anyone who cares so much about the film that bonus features are supremely important ought to be complaining there's no documentary addressing the restoration. I don't think anyone is giving the company *nearly* enough credit for the difficulty and effort and expense involved in creating a high quality high definition presentation of a 70-year-old film shot on film stock that's capable of spontaneous combustion. That work is all about *the film*, and it takes a helluva lot more than a sprinkling of pixie dust.

I guess I can understand why folks who are only going to by the DVD release are particularly disappointed...but the next re-release may not be made available on DVD at all, the Amazon price difference between the packages (at the moment) is less than $6, and the DVD is going to be a second-rate presentation in quality terms anyway, so I find it hard to generate much sympathy.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

I'm just happy I'll be able to get this on BD. I never got the DVDs. Everything extra is a bonus.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Lorddh wrote:Then don't buy the movie and save your hard earned money.
First of all, don't make rash judgements about me. I do care about the films. I could say you don't care about the films as you're purchasing these new releases, encouraging editing and alterations (re-dubbing existing audio), but that isn't fair either, now is it? So don't play that childish game with me.

Also, I don't plan on purchasing this movie. Since there is no supplements worth buying, I'm going to rent the Blu-Ray from my library to check out the new restoration without officially supporting Disney's practices. Disney is fighting against piracy (over 3 thousand people pirating the Blu-Ray right now), cheap movie-only rentals, and people who currently own the film. They're going to need to try a little harder then in the past.
Mr. Yagoobian wrote:We were never *promised* anything. Anyone who's going to get emotionally invested in advance press materials for products that do not yet exist need to develop strong coping skills for dealing with disappointment...or realize than in the world of home media, such information means absolutely nothing more than what *might* come to pass.
IDK, releasing a trailer advertising the shorts and having Don Hahn tell people on multiple occasions that we were getting them is pretty official to me. Either way, Disney marketing has spewed out misinformation too many times now that I've learned my lesson. I don't trust anything they say until it's in my hands and all there.
Mr. Yagoobian wrote:If I'm going to purchase a subsequent release of a film I already own, the *last* thing I want is ported bonus content from prior releases---unless there's an upgrade in presentation quality. Where's the incentive to buy what I already own? Would this release be stronger if with more bonus content? Undoubtedly. Is there really much more they can give us than has already been released on the Anthology? Probably not. And if that content is available through BD-Live in the virtual vault, this *is* the definitive release.
This just assumes that everyone owns the DVD release. What about those of us that don't (people that have never owned it, or just the VHS, or just a pirated copy, and so on)? I've only ever owned the VHS, so ported features are very much appreciated, and I'm sure people upgrading their DVDs would love to have everything ported so they didn't need to hold onto multiple releases. I think making a definitive release should be the endgame but since money is the real endgame and a definitive release would kill any incentive for future re-purchasing, that would never happen (re-releases is a major money maker). A definitive release would have Sunflower and Deems Taylor's surviving audio (the most complete and true version of the film), and not including any of these (along with the old Anthology supplements) insures that there is room for future re-releasing.
Mr. Yagoobian wrote:And I love special features (though I can think of no greater waste of hard media space than a *trailer*, which sole function is to get me to go see or buy the film---if I've got the package, why do I want a commercial for it?)
I love trailers, it's a gateway to another time. It's the trailers for re-releases that I could care less about.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Last time I checked this release is called 2-Movie Collection Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 not 2-Movie Collection Fantasia/Fantasia 2000's Bonus Features. I think one is really losing perspective when one puts bonus features over the film itself. Bonus features are nice but they are just that, BONUS features which are meant to supplement NOT take precedence over the feature film.
Lorddh
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lorddh »

What's childish is the way some people get over extras.
Pretty sad, really.

and I see I'm not the only one who agrees :)
Mr. Yagoobian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mr. Yagoobian »

jpanimation wrote: IDK, releasing a trailer advertising the shorts and having Don Hahn tell people on multiple occasions that we were getting them is pretty official to me. Either way, Disney marketing has spewed out misinformation too many times now that I've learned my lesson. I don't trust anything they say until it's in my hands and all there.
Pre-freakin'-cisely. It's not like Disney is the only studio that's ever put out a release that didn't measure up to earlier publicity, or entirely pull a release from the schedule. Nothing *anyone* says matters, no matter how official, until review copies are out and you've got your own copy for perusal. That's just the nature of the home media industry.
jpanimation wrote:I love trailers, it's a gateway to another time. It's the trailers for re-releases that I could care less about.
Funny. That's the exact reason why the *only* trailers I've ever watched more than once were the ones included on...was it the PE of Snow White? In which they included the trailers for every theatrical re-release the film ever had. I thought that was pretty cool...but they didn't make such a deep impression I can say with confidence which film they did that for.

As far as editing and re-dubbing goes: The pickaninnies aren't going to be seen until this country comes somewhere close to healing its racial wounds, which may never happen at all. I think it's far more likely we'll get at least some of Deems Taylor, someday...but if they don't have *all* of his voicework, I'd rather have him overdubbed than put up with obvious & repeated shifts in voice and recording quality while watching the film. Not to knock Mr. Taylor or his role in the film's garnering public interest and acceptance, but when I watch Fantasia, I'm not watching it for Deems Taylor.
jpanimation wrote:This just assumes that everyone owns the DVD release. What about those of us that don't (people that have never owned it, or just the VHS, or just a pirated copy, and so on)? I've only ever owned the VHS, so ported features are very much appreciated, and I'm sure people upgrading their DVDs would love to have everything ported so they didn't need to hold onto multiple releases.
I'm upgrading the DVD and I don't care that prior features aren't being ported---I've already paid for them, so why should I pay for them again? Which is why I think it's an interesting and appropriate solution that prior special features be made available via BD-Live & the virtual vault: if, in fact, that's what's going to happen, it'll be the best implementation of BD-Live to date.

There are plenty of films which I've bought and bought again for which I don't own every piece of bonus content ever produced. But am I, say, going to go out and buy into dead laserdisc technology just so I can have *everything*? No. Do I feel ripped off? No. Is my enjoyment of the feature presentation affected in the least by all the special features I *don't* own? Not a whit. I didn't see supplements in the theatre, I saw the feature presentation.There's no quantity of bonus material that's going to make me a part of the production process; there's always going to be *something* "important" I'll never know.

And *yes*---studios release on home media only to release again. The only significant way Disney differs from any other studio in that regard is that we know up front some releases are only going to be available for a limited time. If a definitive collection of special features is that important, the only way you're ever going to get them is to buy every release ever made: it's the nature of the beast, and it's why getting emotionally invested in special features is a losing proposition to begin with.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I don't know if this has been posted or not, but if you order Fantasia/2000 and The Sorcerer's Apprentice on BestBuy.com you'll save $10:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 3400050011

And, I also noticed that Fantasia/2000 is now rated PG, which seems much more appropriate. I'm still puzzled as to how with Night on Bald Mountain and The Rite of Spring how the film only received a G rating, though? Especially now since parents are much more lax on what films their kids see.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/