Haunted Mansion (2023)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: How’s "Haunted Mansion" going?

Guillermo del Toro: It’s going great. We’re on the second draft of the screenplay. We have a huge ‘show and tell’ series of boards. We have about 40 pieces of art, maquettes, we’re in full contact with Imageneering at Disney and we’re making sure that we are not only faithful to the Mansion and the ride but that we have the ride in the future reflect into the movie and the movie into the ride.

It’s been a very elaborate, very slow process. We went through a lot of the original art for the design of the Mansion; we went to the Disney archives and went through the Marc Davis sketches and color work that I’m a huge fan of. And then we explored the Mansion on foot at 5:00 a.m. in the morning. We took 2 hours, went behind the scenes…I went insane. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

Q: We spoke to Favreau recently and he said you guys have had some chats. ‘Cause you’re obviously kind into the same universe with his “Magic Kingdom” thing, and he’s mentioned that maybe you guys will put some nods into each other’s films.

Guillermo del Toro: I would love that. I’ve told John that if he can use some of my stuff and I can use some of his stuff and make it a cohesive universe that would be fantastic.
Source: http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/681124 ... id=1668871
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

Thank you for that! I was starting to get worried this fell by the wayside
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

WonderlandFever wrote:Thank you for that!
You're welcome! :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

This is just too soon for a re-boot. Plus, I worry they make it too scary. It is a Disney film for heaven sakes! None the less, I hope it is good.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

the other movie was forgettable and the ride was scary once.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

ajmrowland wrote:the other movie was forgettable and the ride was scary once.
I agree that the movie is very forgettable. I'm really happy they are going to try this again, because The Haunted Mansion is easily one of my favorite rides in any of the parks.

The ride carries some heavy themes even if it isn't necessarily "scary". It deals with suicide, murder, demons, and other dark material. I've always been kind of amazed that it seems to still balance all of that out with some comedy and light-heartedness.

I'm really interested to see what Del Toro does with this.
MICKEYMOUSE
Special Edition

Post by MICKEYMOUSE »

Guillermo Del Toro + Disney = Great thing since slice bread!
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I imagine it will be scary as POTC or Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is a movie I still need to see one of these days....or rather buy
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

singerguy04 wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:the other movie was forgettable and the ride was scary once.
I agree that the movie is very forgettable. I'm really happy they are going to try this again, because The Haunted Mansion is easily one of my favorite rides in any of the parks.

The ride carries some heavy themes even if it isn't necessarily "scary". It deals with suicide, murder, demons, and other dark material. I've always been kind of amazed that it seems to still balance all of that out with some comedy and light-heartedness.

I'm really interested to see what Del Toro does with this.
Pretty much what I was going to say too. :p If you look at a lot of the deaths in the mansion, they depict some pretty gruesome ways to go - eaten alive by a gator, blown to bits with dynamite, hanging, decapitations, nailed alive in a coffin, drowned at sea. Not to mention portraits depicting other supernatural creatures, such as this vampire,

...a witch, and even Jack the Ripper.

Even when Walt was alive he approved himself of some pretty gruesome things, like the stretching portraits and the Ghost Host hanging himself. But he also approved too of there being such famous monsters in the mansion such as Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Headless Horseman. Marc Davis the head creator of the Mansion himself championed for the longest time in his sketches to include such famous monsters and evil historical figures such as Dracula, Jack the Ripper, Bluebeard, Nero, Medusa, and Rapustin all in the ride, all to Walt's approval. Not to mention he also approved of some rather even more gruesome gag ideas, such as a screaming woman who ran toward the group and had her head fall off her shoulders, a groom remove the head from his bride's shoulders and kiss it, a sea captain drowning his new wife down a well or locked in a trunk...

a trophy room with a mounted human head

a sacrificial voodoo burning

Not to mention the idea of the One Eyed Black Cat, who was originally going to be the attraction's main story antagonist, and probably one of the freakiest things I've seen :p

So while the Mansion itself makes lots of lighthearted morbid humor on death, there are many elements of the attraction itself that are rather dark. Not to mention some downright gruesome unused concepts that Walt himself approved of.
-Tim
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

disneyboy20022 wrote:I imagine it will be scary as POTC or Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is a movie I still need to see one of these days....or rather buy
Me too. It will probably be even scarier than the two combined! :)
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

DisneyJedi wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote:I imagine it will be scary as POTC or Something Wicked This Way Comes, which is a movie I still need to see one of these days....or rather buy
Me too. It will probably be even scarier than the two combined! :)
If it gets more frights than the two combined.... or deal with all that type of scary, gruesome things, could this possibly be Disney's First Rated R movie under the Disney name....though I highly dout it would be rated r with Disney name attatched to it, but if it would be rated R it would get a lot of attention in the media.....online or on news channels every where....

Though then again I think we all know the rating system of movies is well.....they flip flop their minds worse than politicians..... :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

disneyboy20022 wrote:] If it gets more frights than the two combined.... or deal with all that type of scary, gruesome things, could this possibly be Disney's First Rated R movie under the Disney name...
No, because at the end of the day it will still be a film targeted mainly at the under 17 age bracket. This won't be an all out horror movie, so much as just a super creepy fun time!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, I am pretty sure it will most likely be labeled with a PG-13 rating.
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

I'm dying to hear some more news about this movie soon :)

anyway...I watched some parts of Something wicked this way comes and it has some great creepy parts indeed...even a creepy horror bride..

but i hope that Del Toro choses one ghost with story instead of making it the rollercoaster-ride that the 2003 movie was. The decor was really beautiful, but the movie was so messy and it looked like it was an promotional advertising for the ride in Disneyland. To much...

Maybe Del Toro can use the story of Melanie Ravenwood, from the Phantom Manor. Its a great backstory thats connected to Big thunder mountain...
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Toky wrote:I'm dying to hear some more news about this movie soon :)

anyway...I watched some parts of Something wicked this way comes and it has some great creepy parts indeed...even a creepy horror bride..

but i hope that Del Toro choses one ghost with story instead of making it the rollercoaster-ride that the 2003 movie was. The decor was really beautiful, but the movie was so messy and it looked like it was an promotional advertising for the ride in Disneyland. To much...

Maybe Del Toro can use the story of Melanie Ravenwood, from the Phantom Manor. Its a great backstory thats connected to Big thunder mountain...
Del Toro's doing a story focused on the Hatbox Ghost
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Wow, another Haunted Mansion movie? Let's just hope this one is more dark and less comical (but still has some of the ride's charm) and cluttered than that other version.

I am not sure if I remember ever riding the Haunted Mansion ride when I was at WDW in 1994 (I was only 5 then).
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

PixarFan2006 wrote:Wow, another Haunted Mansion movie? Let's just hope this one is more dark and less comical (but still has some of the ride's charm) and cluttered than that other version.
Given that Guillermo del Toro is working on this, IF he still is, it most likely WILL be more dark and less comical.

Speaking of which, is this still in production? I haven't heard any news about it lately.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Sorry to bump this thread without any updates, but is this movie even in production still? There hasn't really been word of it lately.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I too am bafled by the lack of news we are receiving about this movie.. I am even more surprised by Del Toro's endless project perspectives! I mean he has more movies lined up then there are rays in the sun! I am most excited about his Pinocchio stop-motion, love the designs!
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool