DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
Disney announced yesterday that the first Pixar-derived direct-to-video project, the Cars spinoff Planes, has been pushed back to a Fall 2013 DVD and Blu-ray release. Could this have anything to do with rumors that Mr. Lasseter is pushing for a theatrical release for his spinoff? I don’t know. But work on a sequel is already underway.

Source: http://progresscityusa.com/2012/06/12/all-froze-up/

I totally called it! 8)

Sotiris wrote:
Mooky wrote:
Now who wants to bet they'll make this a theatrical release?

I do! 'Cause they won't :P :wink:

Bwahahahahaha, who's razzing and winking now, Sotiris?

I believe you own me some money :p.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

Mooky wrote:
Bwahahahahaha, who's razzing and winking now, Sotiris?

:lol: I will pay up when it's officially announced. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, here's hoping it happens soon, I could really use some extra money :).

Mooky wrote:

Gah, I hate when this happens; owe. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:42 am 
Platinum Edition

Storyboards for Planes by Robb Pratt.

Update: They have been removed by the artist.

Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:32 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Thanks for posting!

FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIES: Sleeping Beauty, Meet the Robinsons, Enchanted, The Lion King, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, Brave, and Lilo and Stitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:18 am 
Platinum Edition

Here's an interview Robb Pratt, a storyboard artist working on Planes.

Quote:
Q: More recently though, you’ve been working with DisneyToon Studios. You’ve worked on Tarzan 2 and The Lion King 1 1/2, amongst others. And now you’re working on Planes, the direct-to-DVD Cars spin-off. How’s that been?

Robb Pratt: "PLANES" has been a pleasure to work on largely because of the support John Lasseter has shown for the production. "Cars" is clearly a passion project for him, and he is so excited about having that world expanded. My director, Klay Hall, is an inspiring guy to be around, so knowledgeable and a great collaborator. I've learned a lot from him! The story crew got to be very close - I truly like and respect everyone on our team. I'm very proud of how the movie is coming out!

Q: Presumably the pressure’s very high, to try and adapt and live up to Cars. To be compared to Pixar. How’d you feel Planes copes with this?

Robb Pratt: There is a lot riding on this! Pixar's work is the state of the art right now, and because we're working in their universe, we have to do our best to keep up, which is a true challenge. What makes this seemingly impossible task seem feasable is John Lasseter's involvement. From what I can tell, he's very engaged with it, screening the work-in-progress every couple months to give notes, and putting the right people on it to do the best job possible. He's brought in some animators who specialize in airplane movement, and so far he results have been outstanding!

Q: Can you tell us what your favourite part of Planes is? Which bits and characters do you think will be particularly well received?

Robb Pratt: The racing sequences are really coming together nicely. The sense of speed and being high up in the air is really beautiful and makes you feel like you're in the movie. There's a character called El Chupacabre that is charming and funny, so I hope that the audience loves him as much as I do!

Source: http://www.a113animation.com/2012/07/in ... board.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:55 pm 
Platinum Edition

You were right, Mooky! Do you take checks? :lol:

Quote:
Walt Disney Pictures announced today that their upcoming animated film Planes will see a release theatrically on August 9, 2013.

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98312

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:44 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

It better be freaking life changing then....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:29 pm 
Platinum Edition

Quote:
Jon Cryer initially was announced as the lead voice star but is no longer involved. Disney is now looking for a new actor.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... set-406123

This is odd since Jon Cryer seemed genuinely excited about this project at the D23 Expo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:56 pm 
Platinum Edition

PatrickvD wrote:
It better be freaking life changing then....

Well, the Cars franchise is known to have that effect on people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:22 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

*facepalm*

I knew it was a possibility, I just didn't expect it to actually happen. At least I can skip this guilt free, not being made by Pixar and all.

I'm sure I'll torrent or dvr it out of curiosity at some point, but no way would I see this in theaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:55 am 
Platinum Edition

^just wait until the reviews before doing so. Lasster's involvement has raised the minimum quality standard for DisneyToon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:15 pm 
Special Edition

All John Lasseter needs is a whole lot of fat to go to his neck and he'll have fully transformed into George Lucas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:42 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

ajmrowland wrote:
^just wait until the reviews before doing so. Lasster's involvement has raised the minimum quality standard for DisneyToon.
After Cars 2 I'm not confident Lasseter's involvement is even a good thing. I wasnt crazy about the first cars, but I tolerated it, its was a good movie, but I was ready to move on as soon as it was over. Cars 2 was already taking it too far. For the first time I couldn't bring myself to finish the commentary. Planes, in theaters without Pixar as a whole working on it? Forget about it. I was slightly more interested in this as a Disney channel only thing, at least I could give it the same compliments I gave Prep and Landing, that it was pretty good for being on tv. But bringing this to theaters raises the bar higher than I think they can deliver. Sure, they did this with Toy Story 2 in a way, but that also wasn't coming off a mediocre sequel.

Even if they manage to come up with an engaging story and characters, I still have the same issues with the whole cars universe that cannot be fixed at this point, the fact that these are machines built by humans to transport humans, yet humans don't exist in this world. It only gets more apparent to me the more we see of this universe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:28 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Here are my two cents on the recent announcement...

I am with everyone when I say that this is indeed a way to expand on the Cars merchandise empire and slowly begin to create merchandise based off of planes, and then move onto the other vehicles and thus maximize profit.

But the fact that they decided to release this in theaters after it was announced as a direct to video affair is very telling. To me at least, this means one of two things:

- That the movie proved to be so good they thought it deserved a theatrical release before the home video premiere. This happened with Toy Story 2, they never expected it to be a movie for theaters first, but it was so good they went ahead with it and it blew people away, for some being better than the first movie. Not saying that Planes is going to be like that (at best it will be like the Tinker Bell movies, at worst a DTV Disney sequel), but if they want to release it theatrically then it must be something special.

- That they want to maximize the profits off of Planes so they decided to release it in theaters where digital 3D screenings go at a premium price, thus elevating the box office take by a wide margin.

Me? I like to think it is a little bit of both. We can't forget that this is still capitalizing off of the success of Cars, but even if it exists to extend the life of a franchise if it proves to be solid and fun, I can support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:26 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
You were right, Mooky! Do you take checks? :lol:

Suddenly, being right doesn't feel so good. But if you insist... I'll take cash please ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:31 pm 
Platinum Edition

Kyle wrote:
After Cars 2, I'm not confident Lasseter's involvement is even a good thing.

Yeah but on the bright side how much worse can it get? :lol:

I'm actually feeling confident it will be better that Cars 2.

The biggest issue here is the tarnishing of the Pixar name. Cars 2 already did a lot of damage and most people - including critics - will see this as another Pixar film despite the fact it wasn't actually produced by Pixar.

pap64 wrote:
That the movie proved to be so good they thought it deserved a theatrical release before the home video premiere. This happened with Toy Story 2, they never expected it to be a movie for theaters first, but it was so good they went ahead with it and it blew people away, for some being better than the first movie.

I don't think the Toy Story 2 comparisons are entirely accurate. Toy Story 2 was produced by Pixar and not by DisneyToon Studios and this is the Cars franchise we're talking about which - let's face it - was a stinker from the start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:13 am 
Platinum Edition

Steve Hulett wrote:
The next Tinkerbell feature gets released this October, and the following year the first Planes feature rolls into Disney's distribution channels. Staffers tell me that the picture will get theatrical releases in some foreign markets.

The studio is in the process of developing shorts for both franchises which will (presumably) go on the little silver disks. The thing that I didn't know but was happy to find out? Planes has a small animation crew inside Sonora that is animating key scenes for the first movie.

Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... tudio.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:49 am 
Platinum Edition

Kyle wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:
After Cars 2 I'm not confident Lasseter's involvement is even a good thing. I wasnt crazy about the first cars, but I tolerated it, its was a good movie, but I was ready to move on as soon as it was over. Cars 2 was already taking it too far. For the first time I couldn't bring myself to finish the commentary. Planes, in theaters without Pixar as a whole working on it? Forget about it. I was slightly more interested in this as a Disney channel only thing, at least I could give it the same compliments I gave Prep and Landing, that it was pretty good for being on tv. But bringing this to theaters raises the bar higher than I think they can deliver. Sure, they did this with Toy Story 2 in a way, but that also wasn't coming off a mediocre sequel.

Even if they manage to come up with an engaging story and characters, I still have the same issues with the whole cars universe that cannot be fixed at this point, the fact that these are machines built by humans to transport humans, yet humans don't exist in this world. It only gets more apparent to me the more we see of this universe.
maybe. To me cars 2 always seemed to be more of a corporate anomaly. The pressure for a franchise the spy movie they wouldve wanted more and the changing of directors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:56 am 
Platinum Edition

Here's my two cents worth.

I don't understand the "hate" for Cars and Cars 2, nor do I understand the comparisons to "Planes".

Most of the contributors here are saying "Cars takes place in a human world but there are no humans"........or at least something like that. This is so dumb it is almost as funny as if you were to say - "I hate "Bambi" because it is the animal world and there are no humans."

Those of you who enjoy animated films need to remember what you are watching. There are tons of examples out there. "Watership Down" comes to mind, immediately. Great movie, no humans involved.

If I were to compare a 'yet-to-be-released' film to anything, it would be pretty silly because I don't judge a movie by what posters I have seen or what teaser trailers I have seen. Now that Disney has announced the theatrical release of this film, I will anxiously await it release and then make my judgment, if any, on the product.

One of my favorite cartoon shorts is from the MGM studios and it is called "Little Johnny Jet" and is sort of "Planes" in reverse. It involves a mother and father prop-driven plane who have a son, who is a jet-powered plane. The cartoon is just shy of 8 minutes long, but I love it and watch it whenever I can because I own it on a DVD Collection called Academy Award Winning Shorts.

Everyone is entitled to their likes and dislikes, but to dislike or say that a film is no good because there are no people in it, is rather silly and unfounded. Especially if those same people brag about "Bambi", "The Lion King" or "The Aristocats" being great movies and they don't have any human involvement in them.

If I were to rate the Pixar films, I would put CARS in the Top Three with CARS 2 following closely. Comparing what Pixar does to Disney Toons is really apples and oranges, even though John Lassiter has both hands in the pie, in his involvement in the projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next