Is Iridessa "making up for" Sunflower?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Is Iridessa "making up for" Sunflower?

Post by Prudence »

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Disn ... lower.html

Sunflower the Centaur

Iridessa the Fairy

Do I sense an apology of sorts?
That's hot.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Whoever animated Iridessa probably doesn't even know about Sunflower. I say no.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Doubtful... although you're right, Iridessa's obsession with sunflowers does make an interesting connection....
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I assume she's a token black girl and nothing more really, but showing her in front of a field of sunflowers* is amusing.

* I have no idea what the significance between Black people and sunflowers are really. I know its a racist sorta thing, but I don't know how it all started.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

yeah, she's a token. Nothing more.

Disney already apologized for Sunflower. It's called The Princess and the Frog.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

I think the whole blacks and sunflowers connection is similar to the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype that also is placed on blacks. Though I think it goes way back to the days of the plantations.

I don't think so much the fairy with the sunflowers was an apology. Frankly, I think the color yellow is quite complimentary and pretty on darker skin. My daughter is tanned (she is part Puerto Rican), and I had gotten her a number of yellow dresses when she was younger, because the color really looked so beautiful on her. But that is just MY opinion, not sure if Disney felt the color complimented the skin color as well and maybe that is the only reason.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Maerj wrote:Whoever animated Iridessa probably doesn't even know about Sunflower. I say no.
Unfortunately, this is probably true. Now, if they were done at WDAS, that'd be a different story.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

For the record, Iridessa's house is also a sunflower.
That's hot.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I like Sunflower better..... She's classic!:)
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Siren wrote:I think the whole blacks and sunflowers connection is similar to the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype that also is placed on blacks.
I definately get that...
Siren wrote:Though I think it goes way back to the days of the plantations.
but I hadn't thought about this before. Though I never really think of sunflowers when I think of plantations.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:
Siren wrote:I think the whole blacks and sunflowers connection is similar to the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype that also is placed on blacks.
I definately get that...
Siren wrote:Though I think it goes way back to the days of the plantations.
but I hadn't thought about this before. Though I never really think of sunflowers when I think of plantations.
Its not so much the flowers, but rather the seeds. I could be wrong, but I believe sunflower seeds was part of many slaves' diets. Easy to grow, easy to carry, easy to eat. Sunflowers are a weed, grow quick, are cheap and easy to grow too.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Regarding sunflowers, I recall some cartoons having a black face joke in which they would stick their head on something, it would explode, their faces would be black and surround by a yellow metallic trim that would simulate petals, the joke being that they turned into sunflowers.
ImageImageImageImage

Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

Well, Iridessa's obsessed with sunflowers in general. It's because she's a light fairy and sunflowers turn toward the sun. Something like that. She explains it sometimes if you talk to her in the Pixie Hollow MMORPG on the Disney site.

I didn't know there was any sort of racial connotation. That seems a bit silly, really.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I thought she was just a replacement for Lily. :p
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Prudence wrote:For the record, Iridessa's house is also a sunflower.
You said it. 8)
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Call me a bad Disney fan (or a good one, depending on what you're into), but until now, I had no clue as to whom Iridessa was.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yeah, I don't think knowing this fairy's name will get ousted from Disneyland. I've actually seen Tinkerbell and my reaction when I saw the thread title was "Who?" And then I cliked and was like "Oh, the Raven-Symone fairy, got it." But, then again, I hated Tinkerbell and found the characters to be un-interesting and poorly developed, so there we go.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Wonderlicious wrote:Call me a bad Disney fan (or a good one, depending on what you're into), but until now, I had no clue as to whom Iridessa was.
Same here.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

estefan wrote:Yeah, I don't think knowing this fairy's name will get ousted from Disneyland. I've actually seen Tinkerbell and my reaction when I saw the thread title was "Who?" And then I cliked and was like "Oh, the Raven-Symone fairy, got it." But, then again, I hated Tinkerbell and found the characters to be un-interesting and poorly developed, so there we go.
And you actually had to sit down to *watch* Tinkerbell to find that out? :lol:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Well, I gave it a look due to the comments here saying that it was better than your average direct-to-video Disney product made me curious enough to check it out as well as well as the fact that John Lasseter was executive producer on it. But, needless to say, I don't understand what the fuss is about.

I pretty much agree with what this dude says:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/12FyH8WNDpA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/12FyH8WNDpA&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>