DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 83  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:12 am 
Platinum Edition

I know they could be shrunk as fairies, but when playing the peasant women...you truly need short, small women. Kathy Bates is not that is she?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:55 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney Duster wrote:
I know they could be shrunk as fairies, but when playing the peasant women...you truly need short, small women. Kathy Bates is not that is she?

Her IMDB bio lists her as being 5'3", which I wouldn't consider to be very tall. She's not a thin woman by any means, but Merryweather is the biggest of the three fairies. She would likely look appropriate next to any of the actresses mentioned so far for the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:02 am 
Platinum Edition

I don't know how small those other women are either. The fairies in the film are very small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:30 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

film can edit the size of the actor/actress to appropriate height. LotR did the very well with Gimli and the hobbits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:41 am 
Platinum Edition

Yea that's true. They kind of are like Hobbits aren't they? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Also look at Captain America. Amazing CGI skills unbuffing the actor. To the extent it tptally fooled me. I hadnt read anything of the movie and assumed they had two actors who looked very alike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:36 pm 
Collector's Edition

And Alice in Wonderland! There was loads of size adjustment in that movie.

The names mentioned for the Good Fairies (some where above) would make great castings! I really hope Disney hires older actresses to play them! I think Angela Lansbury, Julie Andrews would be great names.
I would love some one like Emma Stone to play Aurora, I think she would be a far more appealing choice than Fanning who seems far to young to play Princess Aurora!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:20 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

lord-of-sith wrote:
Some more casting rumors have surfaced, attached to some interesting characters! Fair warning, the article contains potential spoilers.

http://www.malextra.com/movies/movie-news/Jim+Sturgess-233300.html

Thoughts on casting/characters (spoilers): The idea of Maleficent having a lover initially comes off as a bit odd, but if handled correctly, could actually be amazing. Imagine if in a jealous and selfish rage, she transformed him into the raven, that's just golden! Having King Stefan as half-fairy is interesting as well, I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays into the story. The addition of Patrick Stewart and Dame Judi Dench/Emma Thompson as seemingly new characters is exciting as well, all three being very distinguished actors that will bring a lot of prestige to the project.

Can't to hear more news and eventually see some images![/url]

So, King Stefan is actually a fairy? Hmmm, as long as they don't change him too much, i'm okay with that. Yeah, I would love the raven to actually be her true love. that'd be cute actually

FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIES: Sleeping Beauty, Meet the Robinsons, Enchanted, The Lion King, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, Brave, and Lilo and Stitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:43 pm 
Super Genius

The Walt Disney Studios has announced a U.S. release date of March 14, 2014, for Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie in the title role as Disney’s ultimate villain. The live-action film explores the origins of the evil fairy Maleficent and what led her to curse Princess Aurora in Disney’s animated classic Sleeping Beauty. Leading a team of visionary filmmakers known for creating and transporting audiences to new and exciting worlds, Academy Award®-winning production designer Robert Stromberg (Avatar, Disney’s Alice in Wonderland and Oz The Great and Powerful) will direct with a script by Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Alice in Wonderland). Maleficent is produced by Joe Roth (Disney’s Alice in Wonderland and Oz The Great and Powerful).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:23 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disneyphile wrote:
The Walt Disney Studios has announced a U.S. release date of March 14, 2014, for Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie in the title role as Disney’s ultimate villain. The live-action film explores the origins of the evil fairy Maleficent and what led her to curse Princess Aurora in Disney’s animated classic Sleeping Beauty. Leading a team of visionary filmmakers known for creating and transporting audiences to new and exciting worlds, Academy Award®-winning production designer Robert Stromberg (Avatar, Disney’s Alice in Wonderland and Oz The Great and Powerful) will direct with a script by Linda Woolverton (Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Alice in Wonderland). Maleficent is produced by Joe Roth (Disney’s Alice in Wonderland and Oz The Great and Powerful).

Here is a link to this same info (just less wording)

http://news.yahoo.com/jolies-wicked-tur ... 51571.html

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Let's see if they screw-up the marketing on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:37 pm 
Platinum Edition

I'm more interested in how they will fuck up the script, like they must've done with AiW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

It's too bad this is so far off; I'm actually getting excited to see this, though I've never been a huge SB or Maleficent fan. It's too bad they won't go crazy with the special effects a la Alice in Wonderland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Barbossa wrote:
Let's see if they screw-up the marketing on this one.

How do you mean ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
It's too bad this is so far off; I'm actually getting excited to see this, though I've never been a huge SB or Maleficent fan. It's too bad they won't go crazy with the special effects a la Alice in Wonderland.

You mean because reportedly they aren't going to use as big a budget? I can kind of understand why since it will be set in a more "real" environment with real sets probably instead of everything constructed in CGI like in Alice. I would think the special effects of magic and fairies and dragons would still be crazy cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:11 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Is it going to be directly related to the film ?

Or go off at more of a different angle, and have Sleeping Beauty the Disney Classic as a distant related cousin ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:32 pm 
Gold Collection

I'm quite excited for this film, I neither have been a big Sleeping Beauty fan although i do like the fairies lol. It will be interesting how this turns out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 pm 
Special Edition

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Is it going to be directly related to the film ?

Or go off at more of a different angle, and have Sleeping Beauty the Disney Classic as a distant related cousin ?

I would imagine that they'll have to take a few liberties with the story of the film in order to make this new interpretation work. If you look at "Wicked", a similar "story-behind-a-villain" adaptation, you'll notice that the Elphaba presented in the musical is nothing like the evil, cackling, one-dimensional villain in the film, even in the scenes in which the musical and movie cross-over.

The villain played by Margaret Hamilton and the character portrayed on stage all over the world are just too different, and even if we are to believe that she had a motivation for the bad things she did, the villain we see in the film just couldn't line up with the character that the musical wants us to believe she is.

It's an issue I think always occurs with these "villain's-backstory" re-imaginings. I read a Disney-published novel by an author who I think is called Sophie Valentino (although I may be mistaken, I can't remember), the novel was named "Fairest of All: A tale of a Wicked Queen" and told the story of the Queen from Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves". The novel, while alluding to and featuring many of the events from the film, just didn't line up with the material it took inspiration from.

I'm not saying it's entirely a bad thing, but it's sometimes necessary to veer away somewhat from the source material when trying to tell the same story from a different point of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 am 
Platinum Edition

There's something else too.

Sometimes you can say that there's a "real story" that the movie did a different version of, or you can say that a movie or musical is a different interpretation/version of the same story and characters, so costumes look different and dialogue was changed along with the character portrayal.

Anyway, since this is called Maleficent, it is definately specifically Disney's Sleeping Beauty world, story, and characters, if that was your question atlanticaunderthesea. It just may tell the story differently, Maleficent's costume may look a little different, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney Duster wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:

You mean because reportedly they aren't going to use as big a budget? I can kind of understand why since it will be set in a more "real" environment with real sets probably instead of everything constructed in CGI like in Alice. I would think the special effects of magic and fairies and dragons would still be crazy cool.

I could imagine a lot of films may have their budgets reduced somewhat after the whole John Carter debacle, which seemed to go completely over-budget regardless of its success (or lack thereof). In any case, Sleeping Beauty does contain far more human characters than, say, Alice in Wonderland.

Blog | Deviantart

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1645 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 83  Next