Favorite Disney Animated Classic from the 40s?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

Snow White and the Seven Dawrfs
30%
Pinocchio
22%
Fantasia
20%
Dumbo
8%
Bambi
15%
Saludos Amigos
No votes
The Three Caballeros
1%
Make Mine Music
No votes
Fun and Fancy Free
No votes
Melody Time
1%
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
3%

Total votes: 91

tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

Based on the success of the "Disney 2000 Decade Poll", I thought it would be a cool idea to do these polls for the different Disney decades. Vote for which film you liked the most from each decade and feel free to rank the others in order from most liked to most disliked.

Since SNOW WHITE was the only film released in the 30s, I felt it should be added to the 40s list.

Here's my ranking:

1. Dumbo
2. Fantasia
3. Pinocchio
4. Bambi
5. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
6. Fun and Fancy Free
7. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
8. The Three Caballeros
9. Saludos Amigos
10. Melody Time
11. Make Mine Music
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
davidobowie

Post by davidobowie »

1. Fantasia
2. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
3. Bambi
4. Dumbo
5. Pinocchio
6. The Adventures Of Ichabod & Mr Toad
7. The Three Caballeros
8. Make Mine Music
9. Fun & Fancy Free
10. Saludos Amigos
11. Melody Time
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Fantasia
Bambi
Pinocchio
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Saludos Amigos
The Three Caballeros

I haven't seen the other package features, but, Fantasia for the win!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
1. Pinocchio
1. Fantasia
1. Dumbo
1. Bambi
2. The Three Caballeros
2. Saludos Amigos
3. Fun and Fancy Free
3. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
3. Melody Time
3. Make Mine Music
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

1. Pinocchio
2. Fantasia
3. Dumbo
4. The Three Caballeros
5. Bambi
= Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
6. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad
7. Saludos Amigos
8. Melody Time

I haven't seen Make Mine Music (well, aside from incidental portions), so I won't consider that. :p
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

1. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (only one so far who picked it for #1!)

Don't know if I can rank the rest.
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

1) Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
2) Pinocchio
3) Fantasia
4) The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad
5) Dumbo
6) The Three Caballeros
7) Melody Times
8) Fun And Fancy Free
9) Make Mine Music
10) Saludos Amigos
11) Bambi
-Tim
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

A hard choice between Pinocchio and Snow White for me here, though, again, I love all of these. I went with Pinocchio. Believe it or not, I would have gone with Ichabod and Mr. Toad if it were only the Ichabod half. I LOVE that one. I love the Toad half too, but nowhere near as much as the Ichabod half.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

1. Fantasia
2. Pinocchio
3. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
4. Dumbo
5. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad
6. Saludos Amigos
7. Bambi
8. The Three Caballeros
9. Fun and Fancy Free
10. Make Mine Music
11. Melody Time
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

1. Snow White
2. Fantasia
3. Pinocchio
4. Bambi
5. Dumbo
6. Fun and Fancy Free/The adventures of Ichabod and mr. Toad
7. Make mine Music
8. Melody Time
9. Saludos Amigos
10. The three caballeros

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

1. Pinocchio
2. Fantasia
3. The Three Caballeros
4. Bambi
5. Snow White
6. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad(only Ichabod portion as I never really got see Mr. Toad one all that well)
7. Dumbo

These one I have not seen fully so I won't judge these.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fun and Fancy Free
Make mine Music
Melody Time
Saludos Amigos
10. [/quote]
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Gosh it was hard to choose from the list but I boiled it down to Walt's 1st 3 films and the winner is.....Fantasia

I respect Fantasia cause it shows Walt's theory of improving and expanding his horizon with audiences. Fantasia has a unsual tone for a film, he wanted the audience to try Fantasia, my fav. segment from the film is Dance Of The Hours, Night On Bald Mountain and Sorcerer's Apprentice. Those segments are prime example of how fluid the personality animation is portrayed, the music is astounding and the image reflects the tone of each segment.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

2. Dumbo
3. Fun and Fancy Free
4. Fantasia
5. Pinocchio
6. Bambi

The rest I've either never seen or I've seen only bits and pieces.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

wow here's a lot to choose from!

1.pinocchio
2.fantasia
3.bambi
4.snow white and the seven dwarfs
5.the 3 caballeros
6.the adventures of ichabod and mr. toad
7.dumbo
8.melody time
9.make mine music
10.saludos amigos
11.fun and fancy free
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Margos
Anniversary Edition

Post by Margos »

1. Fantasia
2. Bambi
3. Dumbo
4. Make Mine Music
5. Melody Time
6. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
7. Pinocchio
8. Fun and Fancy Free
9. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
10. The Three Caballeros
11. Saludos Amigos

Fantasia and Bambi are two of my favorite movies of all time.

Fantasia's animation has never met its match, IMO. The music used is gorgeous, and even the abstract bits are wonderful. "The Pastoral Symphony" is my favorite part, but it's all so magical!

Bambi, though, is a close second. I love all of the forest animals so much! And the story is so beautiful, as is the animation. Really, it does the whole "Circle of Life" thing many times better than TLK. It really is circular. And surprisingly naturalistic! Is Bambi doing the whole doting daddy routine over Geno and Gurri? Nope. Because bucks don't do that. When I was little, I thought he'd grown up and become a jerk. But now I understand that there's a certain beauty in portraying nature as it really is. And it makes the whole thing calmer, more perfect, IMO.

Dumbo's sort of a more distant third. I love "Baby Mine," and I actually like Mrs. Jumbo more than Bambi's mom. She's willing to kick some ass to make sure her baby's safe! It's short and sweet and leaves me wanting more... But any more would have weighed down the story.

Make Mine Music and Melody Time could both be described as sort of a "poor man's Fantasia." But they're both cute little package films with interesting situations. I like MMM better than MT, though, mostly because of Johnny Fedora and Alice Bluebonnet, as well as Willie the Whale, and because the ending of Pecos Bill was a really depressing way to end a movie. I mean, at leat MMM ended bittersweetly. MT was just sad.

Snow is down here, not because it's a bad movie. Just because the story was short and sweet, but with some scenes that, while delightful, felt like fluff. I like Grimhilde, but she's underused. I don't hate Snow, but I think her character could have been developed better.

Pinocchio has, arguably, better animation than Snow White. But I think the story is weaker. It's got some real moments to it, and it's very enjoyable! But, seriously! I was explaining the concept of deus ex machina to a friend, and all I had to say was "You know Pinocchio?" and they went "Oh, I get it, it's when something random happens that miraculously gets your characters out of a sticky situation or moves the plot along quickly with little logic! (paraphrased)" It's sad, but it's true. It's good enough that I barely care when I am watching it.... But when I have to make comparisons like this, it's one of the first things I think of.

F&FF and Ichabod & Mr. Toad are both good package films, and I like them about equally. But I think that, while Bongo and Mickey and the Beanstalk are more evenly matched, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" is much more enjoyable than "The Wind in the Willows," so it's like the second half is dragging the first. And, F&FF actually has a frame story, so it gets extra points for that.

The Three Caballeros is, I think, slightly better than Saludos Amigos. Why? Well, really, I think they're about even. It's just that there's more of 3 Caballeros to love, due to having almost twice the running time. And, the ending is good for a laugh. It's so ridiculously trippy, that you can't help but laugh, especially if you watch it while sleep deprived! They're delightful... But I don't think they're as strong as anything else to come out of this decade.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

1. Pinocchio ~ I would easily classify this as Disney's overall best film. It just succeeds in everything it does, much moreso than Snow White. And the ending with the escape from Monstro is one of the most powerful scenes they've had, imo.
2. Dumbo ~ I'm not crazy about everything in this film--the circus troupe irritates me, as do the crows. But the elephant-side of the movie is very well-done. Of course, "Baby Mine" is eternally touching, but the other snobby elephants are incredibly realistic (and all the more unlikable for it).
3. Bambi ~ Superbly animated and realistic. My only problem is with the way we're supposed to empathize with the animals as if they're more than animals (poor Bambi without a father and then a mother, the animals are in love, the hunters are bad, etc.), and yet it doesn't all hold together for me. The whole "twitterpated" scene is horribly unsettling, mostly in the way the film portrays it as "love," when it's clearly not. And as was mentioned by Margos is the way Bambi and the Great Prince are all too willing to leave their children. If they're just animals, then why should we feel anything at all when they're about to die, etc. if we don't extend that same way of thinking with everything else that happens to them? Regardless, the scene where Bambi meets his father for the first time has always been a personal favorite of mine (the way the Great Prince's ear kind of do this unfurling, intrigued thing when he's surveying his son is well-done).
4. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs ~ I've given a longer review in the SW thread, but overall I find this film pretty unsatisfying. None of the characters connect with me, and I found the Evil Queen's design restrictive in some scenes (particularly when she's walking down the stairs to the dungeon); I also kept wondering why she's so ugly if she's so vain. The Old Peddler is an extremely better design (thought less warts sightly sores would've been nice) and the scene where she watches SW die is chilling beyond belief. But the rest of the film is a complete bore, though I enjoy the opening "I'm Wishing/One Song" scene. Just because it was first, does not mean it was the best.

The rest aren't bad, it's just that I have a hard time ranking the films where a bunch of shorts are strapped together. Even stuff like TSitS or The Aristocats have an overall storyline. Again, that doesn't make them bad, just feels like a totally different category. So, overall, this decade is really high quality for Disney.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

1.) Bambi
2.) Fantasia
3.) Pinocchio
4.) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
5.) The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
6.) Dumbo
7.) Fun and Fancy Free
8.) Melody Time
9.) Make Mine Music
10.) Saludo Amigos
11.) The Three Caballeros
IagoZazu
Gold Classic Collection

Post by IagoZazu »

2. Pinocchio
3. Fantasia
4. Bambi
5. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

I haven't seen of the others, so I'll judge those later.
Say no to moldy, disgusting crackers!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

1. Pinocchio
2. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
3. Fun and Fancy Free
4. Bambi
5. Make Mine Music
6. Fantasia
7. Dumbo
8. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
9. Melody Time
10. Saludos Amigos
11. The Three Caballeros
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

I'll devote a lenghty post to this later, but I'd like to say that I really, really, REALLY think the inclusion of Snow White completely scewers the poll. It is NOT a 1940's film, so it shouldn't be in the poll. You were doing so well with the polls, it's a shame this one is a false one.