Disney's "The Snow Queen" in 2013?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Most of what they had was background art. I believe that it was CGI, the backgrounds looked that way to me. They had a couple pictures of Anna and Kristoph with Olaf, I think she was blonde. I don't think they showed us Elsa except for a few early concept pencil like drawings. They showed some of her evil snowmen, but nothing was on the screen very long, they were really overloading us with information and pictures, but I was also taking notes, so I wasn't staring at the screen the whole time they were talking.

Kristoff might have had red hair. They were far from finished at least what they showed us, and with over a year to go, I'm sure we wouldn't see things like that until the next Expo in Summer 2013.
Source: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php ... 741&page=6
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Sotiris wrote: More plot details surface!
Thanks Sotiris! The plot sounds great, It will be interesting to see how Elsa 'gains' her powers for sure. It gets more interesting by the minute lol.

From Disneyfella's account I'm going to say Kristoff will have brown hair and Anna Blonde.
disneyprincess11 wrote: but I imagined the Snow Queen as an evil, Malificent-type villianess.:(
Like Super Aurora said she wasn't really "Evil" to begin with. Maleficent is also"apparently" misunderstood, as we're sure to find out from the upcoming 2014 movie.
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote: but I imagined the Snow Queen as an evil, Malificent-type villianess.:(
Like Super Aurora said she wasn't really "Evil" to begin with. Maleficent is also"apparently" misunderstood, as we're sure to find out from the upcoming 2014 movie.
In the original movie Maleficent really came from, she is not supposed to be misunderstood. She chooses to be evil. Like when she says her minions are a disgrace to the forces of evil.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Disney Duster wrote:[]
In the original movie Maleficent really came from, she is not supposed to be misunderstood. She chooses to be evil. Like when she says her minions are a disgrace to the forces of evil.
Obviously. But my response was about the upcoming movie, that's why I said "apparently" to distinguish the two features.
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

The more we hear about Frozen, the more it sounds like one of Barbie movies. Luckily (and hopefully), the end result will be much different.

Anyway, I'm not really digging the idea that Elsa's powers are internal, it kind of sounds like an X-Men/Wicked mash-up ("She's a mutie, get her!") and opens up more questions, like how did she get her powers, since no-one else in their family appears to be a magical being. I would rather have her (and I believe someone else suggested the same in this thread) become the Snow Queen as a result of a heartbreak or something that's similarly emotionally devastating. Maybe a man she's in love with dies or plays a cruel trick on her, she dabbles in the occult and freezes her heart to ease her suffering, and it's only after she witnesses Anna and Kristoff's love for each other that her ice melts. Something like that.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

*Potential presumptive spoiler alert*

Perhaps Elsa will eventually turn "evil" on account of getting a piece of the troll mirror in her, similar to what happens to Kay in the original story? I kinda see it as plausible; after all, Tangled still used the pregnancy craving catalyst when they could have feasibly chosen not to incorporate it into the film. Furthermore, it would tie back the film to its source material somewhat.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

That actually does sound plausible and I'd really like it if it turned out to be that way, but I wouldn't put it past Disney to come up with their own silly scenario. And I wouldn't look up to Tangled as an inspired choice. Even though the queen's pregnancy was a catalyst for the events in the story/movie, the source of magic was the flower and they still managed to somewhat bastardize it with that inane sunlight twist.
RyGuy
Special Edition

Post by RyGuy »

In addition to the pregnancy, Tangled also kept the "healing tear" part of the story (though tweaked from the original in terms of what it was healing and how it worked).
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Also, I did some research about the tale of Snow Queen. It looks like they're using the reindeer and the evil "snowflakes"/snowmen. So, at least, they're taking some stuff from it. I hope the thieves be in it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I just finished reading the Snow Queen. What was up with that story? I mena, yea it's a great fairy tale but why so much time to the flowers talking? And you never here the reindeer's story. And the Snow Queen herself doesn't do much, why does she even have Kay? I can see why Disney would change it, though it sounds like they are changing it too much, even more than Tangled. Even the names are changed now! So I must ask, why even base your movie on a story if your not going to really do that story, even down to the names. That kind of goes to Tangled too.

And it sounds like Elsa (now Anna?)'s healing Kay is a little like what happens at the end of Tangled actually.

What is the current plot we know?
Mooky wrote:they still managed to somewhat bastardize it with that inane sunlight twist.
What do you mean?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Duster get your characters straight! Elsa and Anna are two separate characters- they are sisters. Kay is not in Disney's version of the story. The two male characters are Kristoff and Hans.
Candy-Bonita95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Candy-Bonita95 »

Guys........

:roll:
The snow men are not the villains.They are simply like those guards in Wizard of OZ that sing, "Oh-eeh-oh-eeh-oh-oh!"

I was watching a vintage Disney short about the story of Persephone.Do you think Snow Queen could have a Persephone treatment about Elsa getting married to the devil and living on earth for six months of the year?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JdfuORvSLO8" frameborder="0"></iframe>
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Candy-Bonita95 wrote:The snow men are not the villains.They are simply like those guards in Wizard of OZ that sing, "Oh-eeh-oh-eeh-oh-oh!"
There is nothing to say either way right now. You can't possibly know that.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The idea that the snow men themselves are the villains is also an assumption with no basis.

I do hope the Snow Queen is at least villainous before the end, but it doesn’t sound like it anymore. The way they talk about the snow storm, it doesn’t seem to originate from the SQ. I thought a villain-turned-good would be interesting, but that’s apparently not where they’re going. Too bad.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Since Elsa won't be a villain, do you think it's possible that both Elsa and Anna will be included in the Disney Princess line? That would be a first.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:Since Elsa won't be a villain, do you think it's possible that both Elsa and Anna will be included in the Disney Princess line? That would be a first.
That is possible, but Elsa could be "evil". And I read A LONG TIME AGO that Meg from Herecules didn't get in the DP lineup because of Hades and that would make her a bad role model for girls. So, Elsa being evil would not help her. Plus, someone said she is destined to become queen of her kingdom, so she would be a queen at the end, not a princess. But, still a possiblity.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Disney Duster wrote:
Mooky wrote:they still managed to somewhat bastardize it with that inane sunlight twist.
What do you mean?
The fairytale had the magic flower/plant come from Gothel's own garden. The movie changed it to growing out of 'a drop of sunlight', which is IMHO, stupid and unrealistic, even for a fantasy film.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

SWillie! wrote:Duster get your characters straight! Elsa and Anna are two separate characters- they are sisters. Kay is not in Disney's version of the story. The two male characters are Kristoff and Hans.
I am not brushed up on the latest plot!
Mooky wrote:
Disney Duster wrote: What do you mean?
The fairytale had the magic flower/plant come from Gothel's own garden. The movie changed it to growing out of 'a drop of sunlight', which is IMHO, stupid and unrealistic, even for a fantasy film.
Oh, yea I agree. I wouldn't say it was "bastardized", but it would make much more sense if the flower was from a magic spell Mother Gothel cast that she could only cast once, or only in so many years or something, like in my more "Walt Disney" version of the story that I suggested.
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

I think Elsa will become a Queen, like Jane from Tarzan, and the line-up is only Princesses. From the sound of the plot I have a feeling Elsa will return home and be rightfully crowned "The Snow Queen", and Anna will retain her Princess Status.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

August 21, 2012
Q: What's next? Kristen, you have a lot of movies just coming out or in the can?

Kristen Bell: I'm voicing the new Disney princess.

Q: You do a lot of vocal work, don't you?

Kristen Bell: I do. I studied music in college, and I miss it and enjoy it. I like being in the booth with the headphones on and wearing whatever I want -- my pajamas or whatever. That's been fun to work on.
Source: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/08/2 ... stars.html

August 22, 2012
Q: Kristen, have you gotten to record any of your voice work yet for the Disney animated feature, Frozen?

Kristen Bell: I have, yeah!

Q: What’s it like to be a part of a Disney fairy tale? Is that just a dream come true?

Kristen Bell: It’s so dreamy! It really is, more than anything, a dream come true. I can remember being six years old and watching Sleeping Beauty or Aladdin or The Little Mermaid. I saw Pocahontas and desperately wanting to be Judy Kuhn. I wanted so badly to be a Disney princess, but also be able to sing that role. There’s such a sense of quality. Those Disney cartoons are so consistent. So, I have recorded all of the dialogue and some of the songs. They’re still being written by the Lopez’s (Robert and Kristen), who wrote The Book of Mormon, and they’re exceptional songwriters. They work really fast and with a high level of quality. It’s been such a treat.

Dax Shepard: That’s been a professed dream since I met her. This isn’t something that she retrofitted to be like, “Oh, I always wanted to do this!” She’s legit. She always talks about this.
Source: http://collider.com/dax-shepard-kristen ... ew/190685/