DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:45 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 2981
Yeah, I'm sure you heard about it and that they're planning a new Fastpass+ system, which has more cons than you think they would.

And I quote:

"As part of Disney World’s new FastPass+ system, Disney will be getting rid of traditional FastPasses at all WDW parks by the end of January. The pros of this system are the ability to schedule FastPasses before your trip, and of course not having to deal with all of the paper of traditional FastPasses. But let’s look at some of the less known cons…

Only 3 per day: Gone are the days of grabbing pass after pass as soon as they are available. With the new system you pick three… and done.

Tiered system: Want passes to Soarin’ and Test Track in the same day? Nope. What about Rock N’ Roller Coaster and Toy Story Mania? No way. With FastPass+ you can pick one big ticket ride and two small rides per day. So if you want to go on Soarin’ you can use your remaining passes on rides like Captain EO and Turtle Talk (yes they are both options now)

One park per day: Once you use your first FastPass of the day you are stuck in that park. You can still hop to other parks, but you will have no ability to obtain a FastPass there."

As a response to the idea of the traditional Fastpass system most likely getting the axe, I've made these two petitions to hopefully save it. Please sign and share them both by any means necessary.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/disney ... by=8132969

https://www.change.org/petitions/thomas ... ass-system


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:49 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:24 pm
Posts: 668
Location: United States Gender: Female
I'm not too happy about it either, but I don't think petitions are going to make a difference. Disney makes their decisions based on a lot of research. They're pretty sold on this to be going through with it, even though it sounds terrible. Plus, the WDW fastpass system has some real issues. It needs to be fixed somehow. I'll wait and see how things pan out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:39 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 2981
I have to at least try to make an effort. It would mean a lot to me if the word were spread.

And by the way, what problems did the traditional Fastpass system have (besides the paper thing) that the "flawless" new Fastpass+ doesn't?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:18 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:24 pm
Posts: 668
Location: United States Gender: Female
What I view as a problem might be normal to other people. At Disneyland, if you use the Fastpass system correctly and choose the right times for certain rides, you can get on every ride in one day without using single rider. At WDW, there are so many more people. The lines are longer, Fastpasses run out (something I'd only ever heard of happening with World of Color), and you have to spend several days (and a lot more money) at each park to experience everything. That's not because there IS too much to do in a day. There's not. It's because of lines and Fastpass problems. Or maybe rider capacity. Small rides like The Many Adventure of Winnie, which shouldn't be very hard to get on, or even shows like the Laugh Floor have fastpasses at WDW. And yet, it doesn't help much in the end.

That's how I think of it anyway. Maybe it's actually a problem with building attractions big enough to accommodate guests or letting too many guests in at once. At any rate, they need to try something to fix it. If Disney has enough faith in the new fastpass system, I think we should at least see how it works before petitioning.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:55 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:57 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Linden wrote:
The lines are longer, Fastpasses run out (something I'd only ever heard of happening with World of Color), and you have to spend several days (and a lot more money) at each park to experience everything. That's not because there IS too much to do in a day. There's not. It's because of lines and Fastpass problems. Or maybe rider capacity. Small rides like The Many Adventure of Winnie, which shouldn't be very hard to get on, or even shows like the Laugh Floor have fastpasses at WDW. And yet, it doesn't help much in the end.


It certainly does not help that some of the really popular attractions are located far from each other, and in hot weather, it can be very tiring, very quickly, as you try to get them out of the way.

Have to wait and see how this new Fastpass system will work out, but it will definitely be a problem in the first few months (if not longer) with the new system in place, as I am sure, Disney will have to work out the kinks. Unfortunately, it will be at the expense of the people who are spending buttloads of money and time there.

_________________
You know how they say "it's been a pleasure?" Well, it hasn't!
- Mike Ehrmantraut


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:56 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:50 pm
Posts: 443
Location: California
I'm probably in the minority, but I like the new system.

I grew up going to Disneyland all the time. When they introduced FastPass there, it seemed like the lines just got longer and longer for everything. Prior to FastPass, on a very busy summer day, you might wait 50 minutes for Splash Mountain. The only time it was longer than that might be the week before and after Christmas. I was even there on the official opening day for Splash Mountain and the line was no more than an hour.

However, once they rolled out FastPass, the lines got longer all the way around. Last year, I took my son to Disneyland in May. It was a slow day, and we waited probably 70-80 minutes for Splash Mountain because they kept closing the line to let all the FastPassers through.

Sure, FastPass is great when you have one, but it sucks when you have to use stand by.

Time will tell whether these limits will smooth things out a bit. But when I was at WDW a few weeks ago, the standby lines were all pretty light (15-20 minutes) except for Soarin, Peter Pan and Toy Story Midway Mania (all of which we FastPassed).

_________________
Sometimes, I think Thumper's mother was simply in denial.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 am 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:57 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Philadelphia, PA
RyGuy wrote:
It was a slow day, and we waited probably 70-80 minutes for Splash Mountain because they kept closing the line to let all the FastPassers through.


That was the thing I noticed when waiting in the standby line for Peter Pan's Flight, and got really annoyed, as there seemed to be a neverending line of people coming in the Fastpass line. I thought, why can't they alternate between the 2 lines. It's also what annoys me about the single rider line, as that plays 3rd fiddle to the standby and Fastpass lines.

_________________
You know how they say "it's been a pleasure?" Well, it hasn't!
- Mike Ehrmantraut


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:05 am 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:56 am
Posts: 1705
Location: USA
RyGuy wrote:
Time will tell whether these limits will smooth things out a bit. But when I was at WDW a few weeks ago, the standby lines were all pretty light (15-20 minutes) except for Soarin, Peter Pan and Toy Story Midway Mania (all of which we FastPassed).


What I don't understand is why in the world is there always such an obnoxious line for Peter Pan? I absolutely love the ride but the line always seems excessive for that one in particular. Winnie the Pooh is also one that surprisingly has shockingly long lines.

Sorry, DisneyJedi but the traditional system has failed many rides like Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and Toy Story Midway Mania. Toy Story Midway Mania is an interesting one. If you don't get to Hollywood Studios right when it opens, not only is the standby entrance wait excessive but the fastpass line (to receive the fastpass for later on in the day) is just as long and the daily amount of fastpasses available for the ride is distributed within a half hour of the park opening. Something is VERY wrong there. The new way prevents that so while not a perfect system, that's a plus 1 for Fastpass+ and a minus 10 for the Traditional Fastpass System.


Walter wrote:
RyGuy wrote:
It was a slow day, and we waited probably 70-80 minutes for Splash Mountain because they kept closing the line to let all the FastPassers through.


That was the thing I noticed when waiting in the standby line for Peter Pan's Flight, and got really annoyed, as there seemed to be a neverending line of people coming in the Fastpass line. I thought, why can't they alternate between the 2 lines. It's also what annoys me about the single rider line, as that plays 3rd fiddle to the standby and Fastpass lines.


See, I think the single rider line is the most ingenious idea they came up with for lines. I was able to go on a ride by myself (usually I want to do a ride no one else in my party wants to), not wait in an obnoxious line when it's just me going on so I don't hold my party back, and my appearance in the line didn't hinder the standby wait. They merged me in right along with them. There's usually very few single riders getting on at a given time. Most people go on with parties. The real line stoppers for standby wait is the fastpass line as I've seen them let in 30+ people at one time in the fastpass entrance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 am
Posts: 4264
Location: UK
At least all fast passes are free in Disney parks; in all the regular UK parks over here, you have to pay a vat amount of money to have them on top of the ticket price.

_________________
… The Film That Gave Voice To A Whole Generation …

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:56 am 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:28 am
Posts: 943
Location: Surrey, BC
We usually only use one and rarely use 3. If you get Soarin' which are the lesser rides. Would The Seas with Nemo and Friends be one of them or what about Living with the Land or the rides in Norway and Mexico in World Showcase.

_________________
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:01 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1464
Nala wrote:
We usually only use one and rarely use 3. If you get Soarin' which are the lesser rides. Would The Seas with Nemo and Friends be one of them or what about Living with the Land or the rides in Norway and Mexico in World Showcase.

I actually went to Epcot a couple of weeks ago, so I can answer this!

Soarin' is indeed a part of Experience Group 1, which is where the big rides go to. Of the rides you mentioned, the Seas with Nemo & Friends and Living with the Land are a part of Experience Group 2, the lesser section, while the Maelstrom is in Group 1. Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros isn't a part of Fast Track at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:03 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:28 am
Posts: 943
Location: Surrey, BC
Avaitor wrote:
Nala wrote:
We usually only use one and rarely use 3. If you get Soarin' which are the lesser rides. Would The Seas with Nemo and Friends be one of them or what about Living with the Land or the rides in Norway and Mexico in World Showcase.

I actually went to Epcot a couple of weeks ago, so I can answer this!

Soarin' is indeed a part of Experience Group 1, which is where the big rides go to. Of the rides you mentioned, the Seas with Nemo & Friends and Living with the Land are a part of Experience Group 2, the lesser section, while the Maelstrom is in Group 1. Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros isn't a part of Fast Track at all.
So if we get Soarin' we could get Living with the Land as well as The Seas with Nemo and Friends?

_________________
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1464
Nala wrote:
Avaitor wrote:
Nala wrote:
We usually only use one and rarely use 3. If you get Soarin' which are the lesser rides. Would The Seas with Nemo and Friends be one of them or what about Living with the Land or the rides in Norway and Mexico in World Showcase.

I actually went to Epcot a couple of weeks ago, so I can answer this!

Soarin' is indeed a part of Experience Group 1, which is where the big rides go to. Of the rides you mentioned, the Seas with Nemo & Friends and Living with the Land are a part of Experience Group 2, the lesser section, while the Maelstrom is in Group 1. Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros isn't a part of Fast Track at all.
So if we get Soarin' we could get Living with the Land as well as The Seas with Nemo and Friends?

Absolutely. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:34 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:24 pm
Posts: 668
Location: United States Gender: Female
That's really interesting that Maelstrom is considered a Group 1. At another park, I don't think it would be. Did you like the new FastPass system, Avaitor?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:20 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:35 am
Posts: 1464
Linden wrote:
That's really interesting that Maelstrom is considered a Group 1. At another park, I don't think it would be. Did you like the new FastPass system, Avaitor?

Yeah, it's kind of surprising to see the Maelstrom be a part of Group 1. It's never that busy, even though (or especially because?) it was right next to Anna and Elsa's meet and great.

Actually, yes, I did! Part of me does wish that there was a way to switch out your two Group 2 choices for another Group 1, but that would be a problem at Epcot, since everyone would just use their Fast Passes for Test Track and Soarin', and make the FP lines even longer. But I'd think that this would be more beneficial at Magic Kingdom, which as more must rides. Still, it's a good policy that I was glad to use.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group