My Thoughts on Star Tours II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

My Thoughts on Star Tours II

Post by DisneyJedi »

While I am happy that Star Tours is getting a refurbishment, a huge part of me is really worried. :(

I mean, I have heard that there's gonna be a podracing sequence, but I hope it's not all podracing in the ride. Don't get me wrong; I love podracing, but it just won't be the same.

From others, I have heard that it'll involve going through a lot of the worlds of Star Wars, while others seem to have said it will involve your vehicle getting chased down by Boba Fett.

Don't get me wrong, I love refurbishments, such as on The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. It's just that I am fearing for the new Star Tours, that it might suck. And besides, I'm gonna miss the classic nostalgic ride of ST. :cry:

And if you guys at Disney end up making Star Tours II suck, you're gonna be left with a lot of unhappy fans. :x
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I was at the D23 Expo when this was announced. The podracing sequence shown did nothing to ease my fears that it would be too concentrated on the prequels, but after talking to fans, I feel better about it. The podracing scene reportedly only takes up 30 seconds of the ride, and 30 seconds is what they showed us. It was confusing though because it was as if you were sitting IN a podracer. At the end of the sequence, the engines fall off and you fly off Tatooine, back into space. So I'm trying to save my judgements of it until I actually ride it.

And this thread is probably more fitting in the Disney Parks section. :)
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I think this is one of those rides that greatly needs a refurbishment, and I'm excited to see it happen! I'm also just hoping that this doesn't focus too much on the new star wars. As long as we still get to go to the Death Star, I'll be happy.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I used to work at Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas. One day while on the ride, which of course is also ultimately a motion ride like Star Tours, I was thinking while enjoying Star Trek that Star Tours really needs to come up to speed!

A year and a half later...TA DA! It's about time!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

The current Star Tours is a CLASSIC and does NOT need to be messed with. Thank the force that I was able to ride it in May. I don't want to see it changed to podracing. :o :roll: :cry:

Its like how they messed with Pirates and over did the Captain Jack stuff in every area! They should have left it alone. Jack Sparrow RUINED the ride for me.
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

I think this one needs it... and its long overdue.

Though, I'll miss that there's "never a line" for this one..... :lol:
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Am I really the only one who will seriously miss the original ride? :cry:

I love Star Tours, always have and I find it a little sad that such a classic and yes, trashy ride (but that's what makes it so classic IMHO) apparently "needs" an overhaul.
jediliz
Special Edition

Post by jediliz »

No, Dottie, I'll miss it too. I've been to WDW 2 times in my entire life and I Love Star Tours. It doesn't need overhauled.

I wish I could get back before they ruin the ride.

What next, changing 'Its a Small World' to having the dolls look like Hannah Montana and the Cast of HSM?
Disney Channel died when they stopped airing movies with Haley mills (Parent Trap and Pollyanna) and fun adventure movies like Swiss Family Robinson. R.I.P. the REAL Disney Channel. Date of Death: When the shows became teenie bopperish.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

I'm excited and not excited for this. This ride has brought back so many childhood memories. But the very least they could do is give us HD-TV screens to make the ride feel more real! :lol:

I have a pass to Disneyland. All of my friends except one will go on this ride with me...so it needs upgrade. If I'm not with the one friend, I use the time wait sign in front to figure how crowded Disneyland is. (5 minutes=not bad; 20 minutes=worst day to go to Disneyland)
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Dottie wrote:Am I really the only one who will seriously miss the original ride? :cry:
I will too! :P To be honest, I think the only thing they really ought to do is just show the film in HD. The original is one of the best rides, and it would be a bit of a let down if the new version turned out to be a real let down; if it 'aint broke, don't fix it! ;)

By the way, shouldn't this really be moved to the theme parks board?
Tomorrowland Man
Limited Issue

Post by Tomorrowland Man »

Star Tours was one of my favorites as a kid growing up. But as I’ve gotten older, things decided not to add up and while I still enjoy it, I’m questioning why there’s a third Death Star and why Artoo and Threepio are involved with the ride when if this is supposed to be the Battle of Endor (which it definitely isn’t), they both should be on the surface of the planet.

I don’t think this is going to be too prequel centric. I’m not sure about that altogether but I think this is a chance to possibly tie everything “memorable” (the pod race puts me to sleep whenever I try and watch Phantom Menace) from the movies and give the ultimate Star Wars experience to the fans.

And I’m sure pod racing still existed long after the Palpatine condemned the Republic into his Sith Empire.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Tomorrowland Man wrote:Star Tours was one of my favorites as a kid growing up. But as I’ve gotten older, things decided not to add up and while I still enjoy it, I’m questioning why there’s a third Death Star and why Artoo and Threepio are involved with the ride when if this is supposed to be the Battle of Endor (which it definitely isn’t), they both should be on the surface of the planet.

I don’t think this is going to be too prequel centric. I’m not sure about that altogether but I think this is a chance to possibly tie everything “memorable” (the pod race puts me to sleep whenever I try and watch Phantom Menace) from the movies and give the ultimate Star Wars experience to the fans.

And I’m sure pod racing still existed long after the Palpatine condemned the Republic into his Sith Empire.
Well, if it isn't prequel-centric, I'll be happy! :D

Don't get me wrong; I love the whole Star Wars saga. But I just don't want to see the original tarnished. I want it to live up to the original. :(
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Whhoops, edit went a little wrong, ignore.
Last edited by Dottie on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Actually, the idea of just updating the original movie to HD would be enough for me.
And I never thought the Death Star that one encounters during the ride was a 3rd Death Star, but that the ride takes place during the same time Star Wars (aka Episode 4) does making thus involving the riders in the original Death Star battle (as is shown in the movie)