Future Plans For WDW's Fantasyland

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

What I don't like about Storybook Circus now is that the upcoming Pete's Silly Sideshow has almost all of Mickey's friends there (Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy), but not Mickey himself, who is still on Main Street. They had been lured away by Mickey's old nemesis, Pete!
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

New Fantasyland wall ....

http://twitter.yfrog.com/fvhv1jj
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Big Disney Fan wrote:What I don't like about Storybook Circus now is that the upcoming Pete's Silly Sideshow has almost all of Mickey's friends there (Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy), but not Mickey himself, who is still on Main Street. They had been lured away by Mickey's old nemesis, Pete!
What's even more ironic is that on Main Street, Mickey is presented as being this master magician. Wouldn't it make more sense to have Mickey as a magician on a CIRCUS?

Heck... Mickey should have been the star of the silly sideshow. What's even more odd about this is that Pete has yet to appear on ANY of the parks as a meet and greet character, so this would have been a great opportunity to have him for the first time, but so far no mention of him actually being there.

Regardless, I am excited to meet the characters in their circus attire, especially Goofy as Evel Knevel :p
ImageImageImageImage

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Thoughts ..... Disney will now serve alcahol ! Seems to be causing quite a fuss online.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... ntasyland/
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Thoughts ..... Disney will now serve alcahol ! Seems to be causing quite a fuss online.

I personally don't see the big deal. Yeah I know Walt said no alcohol etc., but the way I see it, the alcohol will be served in ONE area, one area that is SUPER EXPENSIVE, SUPER LIMITED and SUPER ADULT. It would indeed be a problem if they now started having beer carts at all the parks and there was no control. But if I know Disney, these wines and beers will be served at super premium prices (since this is a fine dining locale), so I doubt people will be buying 20 bottles of wine and get drunk in there.

I think the reason people are freaking out over this is because the word "alcohol" has now been associated with crime, abuse, dysfunctional behavior, so on and so forth. The thing is that alcohol was also at one point linked with fine dining and cuisine. Not only was wine always served with dishes, but they were also used in preparing great dishes. Considering that the idea of Be Our Guest restaurant is to serve high class French cuisine, it makes sense that they offer wine to go along with the meal.

So I at least don't see a reason to freak out. I doubt we will be seeing drunk people doing the walk of shame on Main Street anytime soon. And in the very, very rare occurrence that the wines cause great moments of misbehavior Disney will take it off the menu.
ImageImageImageImage

Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

I always thought the "no alcohol in MK" policy was a stupid and retarded one. If the other parks are ok with it why is MK isn't?

Too bad no beer in Gaston's tavern. Where it'd make the most sense to have alcohol at. Image

Fucking <strike>brats</strike> kids.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Super Aurora wrote:I always thought the "no alcohol in MK" policy was a stupid and retarded one. If the other parks are ok with it why is MK isn't?

Too bad no beer in Gaston's tavern. Where it'd make the most sense to have alcohol at. Image

More like fucking alcohol abusers who can't go anywhere without having a drink and having some self control...

:p
ImageImageImageImage

Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

pap64 wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:I always thought the "no alcohol in MK" policy was a stupid and retarded one. If the other parks are ok with it why is MK isn't?

More like fucking alcohol abusers who can't go anywhere without having a drink and having some self control...

Those types aren't prevalence at themes parks in the day time as you'd think. Most people get drunk at night time and usually at nightclubs/bars. Considering MK mostly close at nighttime, chances of rampant alcoholic is little to none. Even the other theme parks, there barely alcoholic problems around. If there is one Disney place you'd expect it most likely, I'd be at Pleasure Island/Downtown Disney.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Super Aurora wrote:
pap64 wrote: More like fucking alcohol abusers who can't go anywhere without having a drink and having some self control...

Those types aren't prevalence at themes parks in the day time as you'd think. Most people get drunk at night time and usually at nightclubs/bars. Considering MK mostly close at nighttime, chances of rampant alcoholic is little to none. Even the other theme parks, there barely alcoholic problems around. If there is one Disney place you'd expect it most likely, I'd be at Pleasure Island/Downtown Disney.
Hmm, that's true. Still, I know some people that can't even start the day without at least a beer (at least in my circle of friends there are), and become quickly obnoxious with other people. It's bad enough that in some bad days, we have to put up with obnoxious children, even more annoying tour groups and some rude guests, the least we need is stupid drunken people :p .

On that note, those complaining that the alcohol in the restaurant ruins the kid image of the movie... Look at what can be seen in the Be Our Guest scene!

http://hq55.com/disney/bb/beauty-disney ... m-4233.jpg

http://hq55.com/disney/bb/beauty-disney ... m-4495.jpg

I certainly doubt that's non-alcoholic beer and wine Beast keeps at his castle :p
ImageImageImageImage

Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Drinking/smoking is rife at the UK theme park 'Thorpe Park' and it is revolting.

I don't see it being a problem here in all honesty, as it is a restaurant. Might be nice to have a glass of wine/beer with an evening meal, no ?
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

pap64 wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Thoughts ..... Disney will now serve alcahol ! Seems to be causing quite a fuss online.

I personally don't see the big deal. Yeah I know Walt said no alcohol etc., but the way I see it, the alcohol will be served in ONE area, one area that is SUPER EXPENSIVE, SUPER LIMITED and SUPER ADULT. It would indeed be a problem if they now started having beer carts at all the parks and there was no control. But if I know Disney, these wines and beers will be served at super premium prices (since this is a fine dining locale), so I doubt people will be buying 20 bottles of wine and get drunk in there.

I think the reason people are freaking out over this is because the word "alcohol" has now been associated with crime, abuse, dysfunctional behavior, so on and so forth. The thing is that alcohol was also at one point linked with fine dining and cuisine. Not only was wine always served with dishes, but they were also used in preparing great dishes. Considering that the idea of Be Our Guest restaurant is to serve high class French cuisine, it makes sense that they offer wine to go along with the meal.

So I at least don't see a reason to freak out. I doubt we will be seeing drunk people doing the walk of shame on Main Street anytime soon. And in the very, very rare occurrence that the wines cause great moments of misbehavior Disney will take it off the menu.
It's also not the first castle park to serve alcohol. That would be Disneyland Paris, or so I read.

And all the other parks in Florida serve alcohol, too, especially Epcot.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

For some reason, the idea of Magic Kingdom now serving alcoholic drinks doesn't exactly sit well with me.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

DisneyJedi wrote:For some reason, the idea of Magic Kingdom now serving alcoholic drinks doesn't exactly sit well with me.
why?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Super Aurora wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote:For some reason, the idea of Magic Kingdom now serving alcoholic drinks doesn't exactly sit well with me.
why?
... I have no idea. It's the only theme park at Disney World that doesn't serve those types of drinks and Walt Disney, from what I have heard, wanted it to be family oriented and alcohol didn't really seem to fit with the idea.

This is why Walt initially decided against opening his Riverfront Square, which was what he initially planned to do after opening Disneyland but before starting on Walt Disney World, in St. Louis. The mayor called him crazy for opening a park and not selling liquor there.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

DisneyJedi wrote:
Super Aurora wrote: why?
... I have no idea. It's the only theme park at Disney World that doesn't serve those types of drinks and Walt Disney, from what I have heard, wanted it to be family oriented and alcohol didn't really seem to fit with the idea.

This is why Walt initially decided against opening his Riverfront Square, which was what he initially planned to do after opening Disneyland but before starting on Walt Disney World, in St. Louis. The mayor called him crazy for opening a park and not selling liquor there.
Walt also encourage smoking anywhere at his park. He had tobacco shops in Dl and at WDW's main streets up until the 90's.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Super Aurora wrote: Walt also encourage smoking anywhere at his park. He had tobacco shops in Dl and at WDW's main streets up until the 90's.
Ironically, smoking was his downfall. Literally.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Sooo... Walt heavily discouraged alcohol, even though that when done moderately, it can be a good thing, but totally accepted smoking, which has been clinically proved to be dangerous even with casual use.

Uuuuuuh... huuuuuuuuuuuh...

DisneyJedi, I bet that's the online outrage speaking to you. Like we have said already, this will be done in a closed space, a space you will need reservations for, a space that will restrict the usage of alcoholic beverages, and a space that will charge a really pretty penny for it. Now if the situation was that they had alcohol carts all over the park, and there was no restriction, then fine. But even then, EPCOT serves alcohol heavily, and there has yet to be an incident where disaster happened because of alcohol abuse.

Also, regarding what Walt said, let's be honest: Walt never knew where his company would go from there. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he died somehow believing that it wouldn't exist today. So simply put, he never really knew about the needs of today. The restaurant has one goal: to provide dining guests with an experience that is both authentic to the story of the movie as well as the culture of its country of origin, France. Fine dining has always included fine wines and beers to complete the package. It is part of the culture, and like I said, the movie didn't exactly hide that it included alcohol being used and consumed by its characters.

So like I said, I don't see the big deal over this. Purists may speak a ton about Disney essence, Walt's teachings etc. but there always comes a point in anyone's life where you have to move on and seek something new. We will never know what Walt would have said about the company or how he would have done things, and it is clear the company tries to keep that tradition alive somehow. But Walt also preached about moving forward, to keep changing, evolving and being experimental. Will doing that always end in success? Not really, but it is worth trying once. So basically, Disney shouldn't be held back just for a few beliefs here and there.

So if they believe that the Be Our Guest restaurant would benefit from serving fine wine and beers, so be it. You don't HAVE to dine there, you don't HAVE to order wine. If is your life, your choices. But to condemn them for trying to have choices is silly.

Oh BTW, not directing this at your DisneyJedi, just at the people that have blown a casket over this.
ImageImageImageImage

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

So... The only way I can eat at the tavern or Be Our Guest restaurant is by reservation, which I need to book half a year in advance? If so, that kind of bites. :(
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

DisneyJedi wrote:So... The only way I can eat at the tavern or Be Our Guest restaurant is by reservation, which I need to book half a year in advance? If so, that kind of bites. :(
Be Our Guest restaurant will only be a table service restaurant for dinner. During lunch hours, it will be a counter service restaurant. Also Gaston's Tavern is a counter service restaurant too for both lunch and dinner. So the only time you'd ever really need reservations is for dinner at Be Our Guest.

AllEars.net has already posted the menus for both lunch and dinner at Be Our Guest:

http://www.allears.net/menu/menu_be-our ... lunch.html
http://www.allears.net/menu/menu_be-our-guest.html
-Tim
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Is alcohol being served during the lunch counter service or just the dinner table service? If it's the latter then, IMO, it doesn't really hurt the essence of Walt's wishes. I think he meant he didn't want it served ala EPCOT where you can walk around the park with it.