Star Wars Saga Blu Ray set confirmed to be in the works

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Can't you pretty much infer from that what happened? One shot was fired. One person was fried. It's not like you heard a couple shots go off. There's not a whole lot of wiggle room to suggest that Han didn't shoot first when there's only one shot to begin with.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I totally agree. I have never understood what people said about the Greedo and Han Solo meeting in the cantina. There is only one shot fired and Greedo gets waxed.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Okay, it has taken me a couple of days to read all the posts in this thread concerning the order in which we watch the Star Wars Saga and have come to these conclusions.

If a person has never seen any of these films before then they aren't familiar with the story and starting at the beginning is the perfect place. The whole story is revealed as it goes from Episode One through Episode Six and the reveal in Episode Five is just as shocking as it was when we first saw the movies in the theater on the original release in 1983.

For anyone that has never seen or heard about the storyline, it is the perfect way to watch the movies.

Also, if you want to be a completist, then you should also be required to watch the animated Star Wars The Clone Wars - Volume One and Two and the television series of "Star Wars The Clone Wars" which is in its final season this year.

After that is finished, then go to Episode Three, and the rest of the Saga.

Now a lot of you are not fans of even the animated series, much less the series that is running currently on Cartoon Network, so we still must stay in the order of the Episodes so that first-time-viewers will not be confused as to what is going on.

The way a lot of the postings were on this thread was that everyone has heard of "Star Wars" and knows the basic storyline. For those people I guess watching them out of order might be okay, but I still think that the only way to watch this series is from the start to the finish

I was a projectionist in the years that the original trilogy was released to the theater and then when the Special Editions were also released theatrically. I don't remember anyone complaining then about the additions or refinements in Episode Four "A New Hope", or even the little changes in "The Empire Strikes Back". It was with the changes made in "The Return of the Jedi" that I heard the most complaints. Some are worthwhile mentioning, the music track at the end of the film was changed and that took away from the charm of the Ewoks. And a lot of additions, very minor ones, were noticeable throughout the film and left the viewer asking 'why?'.

I only got to show Episode One "The Phantom Menace" before my days in the projection booth ended. But I remember what a impact it had on loyal Star Wars followers. Everyone, including me, was very disturbed by Jar Jar Binks, and think that this character overshadowed what Lucas was trying to do with this opening chapter of the saga.

The weakest of all the films, and I think most agree with me on this, is "Attack of the Clones" the second chapter in the series. Its like two different people wrote the film hoping to meet somewhere in the middle and didn't. The plot holes were big enough to fly a truck thrrough.

When "Revenge of the Sith" was released, a lot of Star Wars fans were hoping to see the transition of Annakin Skywalker to Darth Vader. In the hands of a much better actor than Hayden Christensen, this would have been a very powerful and emotionally straining film, but it turned out to be no more than an over-the-top performance which left a lot of us shaking our heads.

I know that the first time I saw "Revenge of the Sith" in the theater, I had to go home and watch "A New Hope" and "Empire Strikes Back" to make sure that the storyline had not been detoured. I was relieved to find that it hadn't been, so it was then that I wondered what Lucas had up his sleeve.

When the original trilogy was again released on DVD with a special introduction my Lucas, it was when I began to feel cheated and that Lucas just wanted our money. The changes made in "Return of the Jedi" were shocking to most of us. I don't understand why he felt that he had to make those changes, and to this day I still wonder why. The disfigured face hidden by the Vader mask would have been enough if left alone, but no, Lucas had to work hard to change and rework the ending of the story and insert Christensen into the "ghost" scene at the end.

With all this said and done, I feel that the Blu-ray edition of the Star Wars Saga is a welcome addition to anyone's collection. And I think to the young generation of viewers, we should not spoil it for them and let them watch the films in the correct order of One through Six.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I think the reason there wasn't a big fuss over the 1997 Special Editions was the fact that most people assumed the Theatrical Versions would continue to be available too.

I still think the ending of Empire is ruined watching them I - VI, but the I'm your father line is everywhere. People that have never saw Star Wars, know it, so its not as big of a shock as it was in 1980.

I wasn't as let down as most with my first viewing of The Phantom Menace. I think it was pure hype of seeing a new Star Wars movie on the big screen that it didn't click with me until other viewings the things that were wrong with the film. So I really wasn't disappointed leaving the theater opening night. I remember liking Attack of the Clones better than The Phantom Menace at first, but that has changed. The crowd I was in at the midnight showing was one of the best movie crowds I've ever been apart of, which I think helped a lot that night. I do agree that at times Clones becomes a huge mess.

Revenge of the Sith was good, but by that time my hype for the Prequels had died down a lot. It was a good ending for the Prequels, and my favorite of them.

I haven't watched much of the new Clones Wars show. I will eventually check out the Season sets. I loved the older animated one.