DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:30 am 
Special Edition

Escapay wrote:
sotiris2006 wrote:
Whatever Happened to Little Sunflower?
http://www.mouseplanet.com/9413/Whateve ... _Sunflower

A must-read article :wink:

Great article, thanks sotiris! I like how he just talks about Sunflower, who animated her, the production documents talking about her scenes. Thankfully, it wasn't one of those "Disney is evil for censoring their history, blah blah blah" rants. It addressed those concerns, but did so without being too biased towards either side.

albert

There is a huge understatement in that article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:12 pm 
Special Edition

The whole 'Sunflower' topic has been blown out of proportion for years, and has been done so not because the appearance of an extra few seconds of animation will immediately improve the film (that is, regardless, already a masterpiece), but simply for anarchy. It's making a fuss for the sake of making a fuss.

Censorship edits have been made countless times over the years, and for the most part no-one kicks up a problem. The problem only exists when a company as large as Disney, who focus on quality, are immediately 'found out' to be hiding something, and thus a chain reaction of childish comments appear - even going as far as plaguing sites like Amazon with 1-Star reviews because of these edits. If the individual in question isn't mature enough to take the situation with arguments on both sides, then clearly clearly it is only the immature that make a big deal in the first place.

Sure, its ignorant to try and forget that state of society from years gone by, but the edits exist purely because the modern Disney corporation wants to protect the image of "Uncle Walt" - that lovely chap who in his later years was never far away from a photographer and some happy kids. Disney don't want racial imagery in their films because it would literally crush this fake sense of magic. As every "Making of..." Documentary demonstrates, Walt was a flawless genius who probably never farted in public.

If anyone is interested in the Sunflower edits, then just research the topic. I've acquired many publicity photographs from ebay, and on a couple you can see the original Sunflower cels in the painting department.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:44 pm 
Limited Edition

Does anyone have the high-res version of this cover art?

I’m making my own cover and I'd love to use this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:41 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^That's high-res? :scratch:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Yeah, there was one on Amazon.UK that was freaking huge (I could scroll through it). I was hoping someone snagged it before they took it down (it was only there for a week or two)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:05 am 
Collector's Edition

I saved it to my imageshack account. Just click on the little thumbnail below to get the high res version :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:55 pm 
Limited Edition

^Thank you soo much!!! I honestly didn't expect anyone to have it, what a pleasant surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:27 pm 
Collector's Edition

No problem. Always happy to put my image hoarding to a good cause. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:55 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Don't suppose you've got one for Fantasia/2000, hm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 am 
Gold Collection

SpringHeelJack wrote:

is this of any use to you?

http://getvideoartwork.com/gallery/main ... alNumber=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:09 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

kylemj wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:

is this of any use to you?

http://getvideoartwork.com/gallery/main ... alNumber=1

Well done, sir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:32 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

If anyone's interested, there's two new(ish) torrents posted on Mousebits. One is of the CD release of the 1982 re-recording and the other is of Deems Taylor's actual narration from the edited down version. Just in case anyone wanted to do some fun video editing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 am 
Collector's Edition

Ok, so Im listening to the Irwin Kostal 1982 recordings.... at times I feel they are better than the originals (bigger orchestra, fuller sound), but at times, he doesnt hit the marks the way Stokowski (sp?) did.

But either way... I would never dare say that Disney should replace the original recording. But why the hell didnt they include both tracks on the new dvds/blu rays???? it costs them NOTHING to do it...its all already recorded!

Gosh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:23 am 
Collector's Edition

Ok... just had an eye opening experience regarding the Irwin Kostal recording.

I found the soundtrack for it on youtube, and I downloaded several of the sections. While listening to the third movement of the pastoral symphony (bacchanal), I noticed an odd transition on the soundtrack.

So I popped my dvd into the computer, and synched the Kostal recording to the dvd image. And then I noticed the odd jump in the soundtrack: its the shot where the carpet is being unrolled by Sunflower. In the current dvd, she has been digitally removed, but I assume that back in 1982, when Kostal recorded his version, they just cut the entire shot of the carpet unrolling.

Now, whether Kostal recorded the entire piece and then the section was cut, or did his orchestrations jump over this section intentionally, I don't know. But it sure is interesting! (and a plausible reason why Disney might not have included his version of the soundtrack.... it wouldnt fit!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:33 pm 
Limited Edition

Yeah, Irwin Kostal's recording is great but it wouldn't fit. Not just because of the jumps in the track from editing out Sunflower but mostly because the Kostal soundtrack wasn't synced with the Roadshow edit of the movie, which is the only version they release anymore.

I personally would love it if they'd re-recorded the score to the movie exactly how Stokowski arranged it and included it as an alternative track, like they currently do with the original mono and the DEHT tracks. I'd also like to hear Deems Taylor's voice again but unfortunately YouTube and the opening to Fantasia 2000 are the only place we can anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh yeah, thanx for reminding me we all have the Corey Burton recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:46 am 
Collector's Edition

Hmmm... I thought the non-roadshow version just omitted the intermission, the "soundtrack" character and some of the Deems Taylor stuff.
I thought the actual segments were all the same...

Im sure they could do a track with the Kostal recordings, and if there are any holes, they could just put in bits of the Stokowski track...

its a shame that its not there at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Sorry for resurrecting this topic but I found a video that intercuts Deems Taylor's narration and Corey Burton's. As you can see (well...hear), Corey Burton doesn't sound anything at all like Deems Taylor, it's really distracting.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/44676300?portrait=0&amp;color=ff9933" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I guarantee you Disney could put a contest on YouTube and within two weeks they'd have someone who can do a perfect imitation. As it stands, I'm not a fan of Corey Burton's narration, as it just doesn't sound like it's coming from the person we see on screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 pm 
Platinum Edition

y'know, without that video, most people wouldnt tell the difference at all. Still has that 30s radio quality to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next