DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Has anybody ever gone to a thrift store to browse for CDs, DVDs or even Blu-Rays?

There's a Savers and a few Goodwill stores within a few minutes from my house. I never used to go to any of them, but lately my boyfriend and I will go when we have time to kill and browse strictly for CDs and movies. I found the Platinum Edition of Pinocchio on Blu-Ray, BRAND NEW with its slipcover in pristine condition for $3.99 at Savers. This was just weeks after finding it used at FYE for $17.94 with its slipcover. Anyone else find any good deals from stores like this?

UDer #3495 :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 pm 
Platinum Edition

I always make it a point to go to Thrift stores like Goodwill, DAV, and, for sure, pawn shops. We have over 100 pawn shops in Wichita, and then we Tradepost Entertainment, which deals in used Games, DVD's, and Blu-rays.

I found my whole James Bond collection on Blu-ray for what turned about to be less than $2 apiece as the Final price. I have found Disney titles, Diamond Edition Blu-rays for less than $5 with their slip covers intact.

Once I month I take a couple of days and just cruise all the pawn shops, and then another day I will get to the thrift stores and another day it is with Tradepost Entertainment (used to be called CD Tradepost, and you can still look them up on line at www.cdtradepost.com).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:21 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

If you shop at thrift stores check the disks sometimes people donate stuff that is hashed to hell and those places are notorious for not checking what comes in. I should know I worked for a thrift store for a year was deplorable the crap that got past the sorters.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:39 am 
Platinum Edition

Duh!! A person shopping for DVD's and Blu-ray movies should always check their product before purchase, and that way you don't have to worry about them working.

Here in Kansas most of the Thrift Shops have a Blu-ray player hooked up to a television set and they willingly let you try the disc before you buy it.

Pawn Shops are my favorite place to go looking for current Blu-ray titles. Most of the time they have better prices than any where else. Right now there are two shops that are offering all Blu-ray titles for $4 each or three for $10. And so far I have snagged 12 Blu-ray titles, most of which were upgrades from my DVD collection, and will go back for more next week.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:46 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Excuse me for living! I merely mentioned it because I frequently had customer's complaining about buying DVDs/CDs that didn't work and they hadn't checked them before purchasing. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:30 am 
Platinum Edition

Note to Disney Guru:

I didn't aim my remarks at you or anyone in particular, and if you think I did, I apologize explicitly.

I probably could have said it differently, but you are correct. If the person doesn't check the disc out before purchase then it is all on them. I always hear from people that say don't go to this store or this store because none of their discs work. That's why I like the Thrift stores here Wichita, as I said before, they all have Blu-ray players hooked up to a television so you can check your disc(s) out before laying down the money. As an example, I picked up the "Epic"/"Rio" Blu-ray for only $7.99, slip cover and all.

There are good places to shop, and there are bad places to shop. It's up to the person looking for DVD's or Blu-rays to be responsible and only buy after scanning the disc, or even asking if they have a Blu-ray player hooked up to a television so you can check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I always make sure to check and see that the disc is in good shape - or even in the case at all! I've opened numerous CD or DVD cases at these places only to find that the disc isn't in there at all. Plus, 9 times out of 10 the cashier will ask something along the lines of "Did you check to make sure the disc wasn't scratched" / "to make sure the disc is in there?" / "the right disc is in there?".

Today at Goodwill I found the Deluxe Editions of 2 big releases from last year - will.i.am's "#Willpower" and Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines". I was pretty excited that I could find them for $3 apiece, especially since they were the Deluxe versions. I don't like the two of them as people, and although I was curious to hear their albums in their entirety, there was no justifying spending upwards of $15 for the albums.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:27 pm 
Limited Edition

I quite enjoy thrift shopping for media, but I don't get to do it as often as I'd like. But when I do get to do it, I quite enjoy it. You definitely have to check the discs first, and if a disc looks rough, wipe it off first - dirt and scratches can look very similar. (And even if you get a CD that's a bit more scratched than you'd like, you may still be able to rip a perfect copy of it with Exact Audio Copy. Then you can burn that to a CD-R and you have a disc for your disc players and a perfect FLAC copy archived on your computer.)

I don't tend to find a lot of CD's or DVD's I'd like to buy at Goodwill and the like, but I do tend to find VHS tapes I'd like to have. At every Goodwill I go to, they're 50 cents apiece, so if it's not a good tape or I can't get good tracking or what have you, I've only lost 50 cents. I did recently find a few interesting CD's on a Goodwill trip, but that's pretty rare.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:39 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm usually pretty picky about the condition of the discs I buy. A surprisingly large amount of discs I find at these places are in like new condition! Of course I have to make sure that they're not promotional copies or record club discs. Pretty much anything I buy at Savers or Goodwill is just an impulse buy, seeing as it's always a mixed bag each time I go (which is once a week or once every other week).

I just started buying from these places back in January or so and my collection has grown much larger than I ever could have expected! It's easy to get carried away when it's $2 per CD at Savers (or 5 for $7.99), and $3 apiece at Goodwill, especially when they have 50% off specific colored stickers. Of course this means I don't always get to listening to EVERYTHING right away, but there are some pretty awesome finds every now and then!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:08 pm 
Super Genius

I enjoy shopping for second hand DVDs/ blu-rays/ CDs. Unless I absolutely love a film, I won't pay £10-£15 for it.

Disney films rarely end up in charity stores over here. I found Cinderella platinum with slip cover for £2. As long as the discs are OK, I have no problem getting them second hand. You can get some really good deals and occasionally you find something new for really cheap.

Thrift stores in the US sound amazing. Its a rare day indeed when you find a Disney animated classic on blu ray or DVD in a UK charity shop and even then it's usually been scratched to pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:15 pm 
Limited Edition

MeerkatKombat wrote:
I enjoy shopping for second hand DVDs/ blu-rays/ CDs. Unless I absolutely love a film, I won't pay £10-£15 for it.

Disney films rarely end up in charity stores over here. I found Cinderella platinum with slip cover for £2. As long as the discs are OK, I have no problem getting them second hand. You can get some really good deals and occasionally you find something new for really cheap.

Thrift stores in the US sound amazing. Its a rare day indeed when you find a Disney animated classic on blu ray or DVD in a UK charity shop and even then it's usually been scratched to pieces.

Disney DVDs in thrift shops here are scarce as well, at least the classics are. Then again, I feel like the people who DO donate their rare used Disney DVDs buy them in the first place because of their children and aren't aware of their value.

The other day I found most of Pat Benatar's discography and I only ended up paying $16. "Get Nervous", "Precious Time", "In The Heat Of The Night", "Wide Awake In Dreamland", "Gravity's Rainbow", a UK CD Double Feature that had her albums "Tropico" and "Seven The Hard Way" on one disc, though unbeknownst to me beforehand, some songs were edited down to fit a bonus track (the radio edit of "Love Is A Battlefield" :? ). I also got a 2001 CD called "Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo Live! Summer Vacation Tour Soundtrack" where she performs her hits and some songs from her album "Go", which would be released 2 years later. There's a DVD counterpart with the full concert which I learned is OOP so maybe someday I'll splurge on that. They had "Crimes Of Passion" and "True Love", but I already owned those so I passed on them. I did also find a copy of her OOP album "Go", which I bought even though I already own it - it's very rare and for $2 I figured it would be good to have an extra copy to use in the car or to maybe sell in the future.

Some of the CDs had some light surface scratches and one of them skipped a bit in my car, but they imported to my iTunes just fine. I do eventually want to get the separate releases of "Tropico" and "Seven The Hard Way" to get the full versions of the few songs they edited down, but those are pretty pricy online so that can wait. I also need to find her album "Innamorata" and maybe someday down the road I'll get the remastered versions of "Crimes Of Passion", "In The Heat Of the Night" and "Precious Time", but for now I'm very satisfied with my latest find!