Battle with the Forces of Evil: The Dragon Sequence

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.

What's your opinion on the Sleeping Beauty climax?

Pretty epic :)
80%
Meh...
20%

Total votes: 15

TonyWDA
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Sleeping Beauty Climax

Post by TonyWDA »

Disney Duster wrote:TonyWDA, as I said, not every artists had a say how the screenplay was, and could have had different opinions of what happened in the film, but anyway, I found the official draft of the scene that they told animators to animate and it says the fairy magic touches the sword and the sword follows the magic to the dragon's heart. Nothing about blessing, and revealing just how much work that magic did. Film threw the sword in the direction of the dragon, the magic actually did the aiming and hitting! But it doesn't matter if Phillip had any fighting skill, it was still his true love that gave the sword the full power intneeded to defeat the force of evil.
The screenplay states that Flora and the fairies do have their magic dust touch the sword, you're right about that. However, now that I do go back to read this, Phillip had to meet the magic halfway for anything to happen. Like I said before, he could have easily said "Hey, screw it. They 'blessed' the sword, let it fly on it's own". He had to throw it. Then and ONLY then, as you stated, could the magic take over.

All in all, and I forgot who said this here, it was about teamwork. Regardlless of what Flora said about Phillip fighting his own battles. Would it have been better if Philip had died, therefore leaving the kingdom in an eternal slumber?
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Disneykid wrote:I think those who find the climax too brief are forgetting a quality that's inherent in EVERY Disney animated film ever made outside of Fantasia: Disney movies are rushed. Somehow, they don't usually feel rushed, but if you were to take the exact same script and film it in live-action, the insane pace is more noticeable. If you don't believe me, watch a random 10 minute section from any Disney animated feature and see how much story material is crammed in that time. Scenes usually don't go on longer than 2-3 minutes before they cut/fade to the next one. Taking the dragon fight out of context makes its briefness more glaring, but I think it works perfectly within the film's context.
You are right that Disney films in general do move quickly. But I'm not isolating the scene outside the film; I'm describing my feelings for the scene based on watching the entire film together. And yet I don't feel this same feeling of briefness about the climaxes of most other Disney films. Because, regardless of their time length, a lot of action happens in the time used in most other films. Not simply a snapping of teeth and a flying sword. Sorry, I don't really mean to dismantle this thread for those who love the scene, but it seems like people insist on writing my opinion off in the place of their own. I didn't realize that opinions had to be unanimous on a forum.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

DisneyKid makes sense. The Climax in Hunchback is much more involving.
TonyWDA
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TonyWDA »

ajmrowland wrote:DisneyKid makes sense. The Climax in Hunchback is much more involving.
*shudders*

I went to see HoND in theaters in its original run. That climax had me scared senseless (Frollo's face before he attempts to murder Esmeralda).