Beauty & the Beast original colors - in upcoming platinu

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Marce82 wrote:I also noticed in previous screencaps, that some elements in the foreground that were blurred in the original version (to mimic a camera lens) are now in focus (since they will be closer to our eyes in the 3d version).
Tamper tamper tamper.
Yes, those alterations are just to increase the 3D effect and wouldn't be on the 2D release. I mentioned this in my first set of comparisons but added motion blur, missing depth of field, shifted foreground / background elements and additional animation (they added bubble to the scene with Mrs. Potts) are exclusive to the 3D version.

abenotgabe, can you take a picture of your TV during the corrected scene after "Something There"? It doesn't need to be perfect looking (we aren't using this to judge the picture quality), we just need some evidence that the 3D Blu-ray has indeed fixed that scene (maybe leave the popup menu visible so we know it's the Blu-ray). This will help our case.

I find it weird that soo many people have chosen to give up when a corrected version is released. Very strange timing.
Last edited by jpanimation on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Marce82 wrote:And I assume you guys have noticed that for the 3d version, they have added a motion blur to the backgrounds... God, I hope they have a reason for that.
I also noticed in previous screencaps, that some elements in the foreground that were blurred in the original version (to mimic a camera lens) are now in focus (since they will be closer to our eyes in the 3d version).
Tamper tamper tamper.
They do this in every 3D movie, converted or brand new. Most of the time they dial it back because focal blur is usually a tool to add depth to a 2D image. In 3D its not as necessary, and can look just plain odd combined with 3D. Personally I'd prefer they just keep it as is even for 3D, but I could change my mind if I saw it for my self. I might agree with them on that if I could see non blurred and blurred side by side in 3D.

That said, I'm not sure I get why they would go the other way, ie turning the blur up for 3D. My only guess there is that they needed the background to fall more into the distance to really make sense so they pushed it back while also scaling it up (or else that element would be too small being further from the camera)
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Marce82 wrote:Um...no it's not. Read the caption on every image.
I was just going by the conversation. never actually saw the 3D version.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I E-mailed them a third time saying:

"The Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition DVD and Blu-ray have the wrong colors and a wrong scene at the end of "Something There". The colors should be the original darker colors and at the end of "Something There" we should see the back of Belle and the Beast by the fireplace with the enchanted objects in front of them and Mrs. Potts kissing Chip. We need a replacement program to give us the right colors and the right scene."

Let's see what they say back now.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Just of note, all of my comparisons are full sized captures (whether that's 480p or 720p). Be sure to blow them up to full size to properly compare (I only mention this as I have the distinct impression that some members here think the thumbnails are the full sized images):

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 793#597793

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 419#600419

When they're taking up your full monitor, it's hard not to notice the differences.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

original colors whats the big deal? What's wrong with the restorations?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Disney Duster wrote:I E-mailed them a third time saying:

"The Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition DVD and Blu-ray have the wrong colors and a wrong scene at the end of "Something There". The colors should be the original darker colors and at the end of "Something There" we should see the back of Belle and the Beast by the fireplace with the enchanted objects in front of them and Mrs. Potts kissing Chip. We need a replacement program to give us the right colors and the right scene."

Well, seeing as how you come off as extremely arrogant and rude, telling DISNEY what is "right" and "wrong", and using terms like "we should" and "we need" instead of "I'd like to suggest" or "fans of the film believe that..."

I wouldn't answer you back if I was Disney.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

bradhig wrote:original colors whats the big deal? What's wrong with the restorations?
OK, where to start? When the Platinum Edition...err, forget it. In short, Disney messed up the colors on the standard Diamond Edition release and then corrected them a year later on the 3D Diamond Edition release. Click on the links below to see comparisons between the two releases (click the thumbnails to view in full size):

Disney also messed up the scene after "Something There", by putting in the shot from the Special Edition instead of the Theatrical Edition. This was also supposedly fixed on the 3D Diamond Edition release but we're still waiting for confirmation.

In short, we're attempting to get a replacement program started that would contain the corrected scene and corrected colors found on the 3D release. Maybe a more appropriate title for the thread would be "Beauty and the Beast replacement program" or something like that.
Last edited by jpanimation on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Swillie wrote:Well, seeing as how you come off as extremely arrogant and rude, telling DISNEY what is "right" and "wrong", and using terms like "we should" and "we need" instead of "I'd like to suggest" or "fans of the film believe that..."

I wouldn't answer you back if I was Disney.
>: (
No, YOU are the one who is being rude and arrogant:
Disney Duster wrote:I did the contact thing. I selected Technical question, Region A for my Samsung Blu-ray player since I really have no idea, I didn't buy it, and I didn't put the model, but anyway, I wrote:

I bought the Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition Blu-ray and noticed the colors were different and brighter than the original VHS release I had and when I saw it in theaters. But when I saw the movie in 3D, both in theaters and on Blu-ray, the film had colors much closer to the ones from the original release. So I would like to know which colors the filmakers want the film to be, and if they want the brighter ones, if they could release a limited number of Blu-rays that have the old original colors. Thank you.

So, I hope that was good for this. :)
jpanimation wrote: I’ve emailed Disney and got the standard reply about passing it a long through the proper channels. Everyone needs to stop asking Disney if the 3D Blu-ray is the correct one and you need to start telling them it is. They don’t know there is a difference between releases and will just read the back of the cover and tell you that it includes the theatrical version. You need to tell them there is a problem, that there is a corrected version available (the 3D Blu-ray) and that you’d very much appreciate it if they would start a replacement program issuing the corrected discs. If you sound informed and confident, then they'll have to take you seriously and in-turn, the issue seriously.
Disney Duster wrote:I E-mailed them a third time saying:

jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Well, here's how I worded it when I contacted Disney.

"There are some problems with Beauty and the Beast's presentation on it's standard Diamond Edition release that have since been corrected on it's later 3D Diamond Edition release.

Those problems in presentation include an incorrect color pallet that has since been corrected for the 3D Diamond Edition release (I've included links to picture comparisons that will show you what I'm talking about):

The other presentational problem is that around the 56 minute mark, you use a piece of animation from the Special Edition instead of the Theatrical Edition. This has also been corrected on the 3D Diamond Edition release.

So with the 3D Diamond Edition release having corrected all the problems found with the presentation on the standard Diamond Edition release, I was wondering if you planned on starting a replacement program for those of us who bought the standard Diamond Edition release that would issue discs out containing the corrected presentation found on the 3D release?

Thank you."

Yes, it is a little wordy and overly complicated but I didn't want to be vague and have them be confused as to what I was talking about. At least now, the information is there, if they can translate it.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Yeah, jpanimation - that's the way to go about something like this. "There are some issues here, and this is how those issues might be resolved. The fan community would be very appreciative."

Duster, you simply stated "you guys are wrong, and you need to fix it."
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think saying "we need" is okay if you are a consumer who bought the wrong thing and simply stating you need something, and if they aren't viewing the message in an angry or negative light.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Disney Duster wrote:I think saying "we need" is okay if you are a consumer who bought the wrong thing and simply stating you need something, and if they aren't viewing the message in an angry or negative light.
But that's kinda how your wording came off. Angry and negative. Like a kid who has to have it their way.

JP's wording is more respectful.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Even though I see how his was "extra nicer" I don't really think there was a problem with mine. What am I supposed to do they never E-mailed me back the second time before I did that third to the point E-mail so I can't know if they had a problem with mine or what.
abenotgabe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by abenotgabe »

Those who plan to e-mail disney about this should specify that the
"corrected" version is on the actual 3D blu-ray disc. The 2D disc found in the 3D Diamond Edition set is the exact same same one from the standard Diamond Edition.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Alright, two new comparisons between the 2D and 3D Diamond Edition releases.

The coat rack is black again instead of red
Beast and everything else lose that nasty yellow tint
his bathtub looks more detailed without the tint

AND NOW THE MOTHER OF ALL COMPARISONS

Yes, this scene once again represent the Theatrical Version

I've now watched the 3D version all the way through and can happily report that the colors seem to more accurately represent the original theatrical release (outside the ballroom). Factor in the corrected piece of animation after "Something There" and I have to think this is what they intended to be released. I really hope they start a replacement program for this.
abenotgabe wrote:Those who plan to e-mail disney about this should specify that the
"corrected" version is on the actual 3D blu-ray disc. The 2D disc found in the 3D Diamond Edition set is the exact same same one from the standard Diamond Edition.
You're right, probably should've. I think this whole thing is kind of hard to explain with all the versions they've released and it being a disc specific issue. It's much easier to just show them what we're talking about, too bad we can't.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

OK, so I'm watching the 3D version in VLC and decided to play around with the settings to see if I could replicate what happened with the LaserDisc. Sure enough, I did. Just a little playing with the contrast and saturation and boom, LaserDisc replicated everywhere except the ballroom scene. SO I tried to do the same with the standard Diamond Edition, no such luck, can't be replicated using that as a source.

I honestly believe the 3D Diamond Edition colors - outside the ballroom - represent what we were always supposed to be seeing.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED4SInNXpyo

This is a video I made on my YouTube channel. I had to replace the audio, because it had a copyright problem :lol:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/upl ... nce-21.jpg

^ From Port Orleans Riverside.

Prince Adam. Officially...

*edit*

I just had a thought. Maybe Beast never told anyone his name (like Maurice and Belle) because he didn't want them to know that he was *the* Prince Adam from back in the day...he didn't want them to know what become of *that* Prince Adam, that he behaved so badly that he became a beast...?
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

So, I downloaded the 3D version, since I don't have a 3d tv or player. (and hey, I did see it in theaters, and own the original blu ray, so its not like their not getting money...)
The 3D colors look great, but does anyone know how to switch it to 2d, and correct the squished aspect ratio?