Sleeping Beauty Platinum DVD Preview (Scans Added)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
lighthousemike
Gold Classic Collection

Sleeping Beauty Platinum DVD Preview (Scans Added)

Post by lighthousemike »

I think it's been a year since my last dvd preview - or so...
missed these dvds - too bad its a movie i already have in a good 2 disc set - but after all it is my favorite Disney Classic animated movie ever.

Ill post images here from the dvd, and scans.

The news we already know about Snow White being re-released as Plantinum dvd next fall (2009) is confirmed here.

Stay tuned
ill post more images here..

More images in the special set i made on Flicker - here
http://flickr.com/photos/lighthousenews ... 401530118/

MORE SCANS HERE - http://flickr.com/photos/lighthousenews ... 401530118/[/img]

Disc 2 Menus

Last edited by lighthousemike on Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SleepingBeautyAurora
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora »

You're so lucky !!!! Thanks for sharing with us!
"From this slumber, You shall wake
When true love's kiss, the spell shall break."
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Very exciting!! I was hoping to hear from you soon, lighthousemike!! I'm glad to see that there is a trailer for the upcoming Pinocchio: Platinum Edition. Was there anything inside that has a picture of the cover art, or at least a mock up of the cover art?

Thanks again lighthousemike. Can't wait to see more.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Thanks!!! :D it looks really great,can't wait to get my copy :D.
The Pinocchio logo reminds me of the Cinderella PE logo,I"m glad that there's a teaser for Princess And The Frog :D.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

I don't know if you know how, but if you do, could you load the Pinocchio trailer to YouTube?
lighthousemike
Gold Classic Collection

Post by lighthousemike »

Simba3 wrote:I don't know if you know how, but if you do, could you load the Pinocchio trailer to YouTube?
well i can never do it just right - if you'll tell me how ill do it.

They dont show any version of the dvd cover or any split screens.
the trailer really focuses on it being in HD for the first time.
thats about it.

I havent seen the princes and the fog trialer before - looks great
and im most waiting for Tinker Bell - still have no idea why they dont release it to theatres - looks a trillion times better the The robinsons
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

lighthousemike wrote:
Simba3 wrote:I don't know if you know how, but if you do, could you load the Pinocchio trailer to YouTube?
well i can never do it just right - if you'll tell me how ill do it.
Yeah, I don't really know how to do it either. Oh well, I can wait a couple weeks to see it. I wish there was a glimpse of the cover art inside, but I'm sure something will turn up shortly.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Pinocchio came out in 1940, if it is coming out next Spring 2009, it would only be in its 69th year?

Thanks for the preview lighthousemike! I'm not very excited for this release as I have never seen Sleeping Beauty, but it will be a pleasant surprise I know it.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Is there a pan and scan version included like the previous DVD and Lady and the Tramp, or is it widescreen only? I know some people that will want a non-widescreen release of this since its so wide (2.55:1).

Thanks
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

magicalwands wrote:Pinocchio came out in 1940, if it is coming out next Spring 2009, it would only be in its 69th year?

Thanks for the preview lighthousemike! I'm not very excited for this release as I have never seen Sleeping Beauty, but it will be a pleasant surprise I know it.
Yes, but Disney doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to releasing DVDs in the actual year of the major anniversary.

Lady and the Tramp: 50th Anniversary was released it it's 51st year of existence and Sleeping Beauty: 50th Anniversary is coming out in it's 49th year.

Fantasia/2000 will probably be called a 10 anniversary PE (with Fantasia possibly getting a 70th Anniversary banner as well) despite it being released in it's 11th year (Fantasia/2000 opened in 1999).

No big deal really, just a marketing ploy.

I'm sad to see no other "unknown" releases announced via this DVD. The Feb 5th, 2009 release needs to be announced soon I would think. Though we all pretty much are betting on it being Oliver and Company (perhaps carrying a 20th anniversary banner in it's 21st year?) thanks to the domain name registration. We just need to make it official Disney.

Thanks LHM for the screen-caps. Would you recommend I purchase it even if I have the existing set?
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

lighthousemike wrote:im most waiting for Tinker Bell - still have no idea why they dont release it to theatres - looks a trillion times better the The robinsons
It does! Thanks! I can't wait!
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Sleeping Beauty Plantinum DVD Preview

Post by Escapay »

First off, thanks so much, lighthousemike for once again providing preview caps! I especially enjoyed the menus for Backstage Disney as it confirmed that the Eyvind Earle and Sequence 8 features are in the DVD and not part of the Blu-Ray's Cine-Explorer!

Could you possibly post a menu cap for the "Picture Perfect" documentary so we know what all the different featurettes for that is called?

Also, is the "Theme Parks" gallery preserved anywhere in second disc? I know that DVDTimes gave a list of the different art galleries, but it didn't mention the Theme Parks one, so I'm hoping it's either in the Art Galleries subsection, or the Castle Walk-Thru subsection.

Thanks in advance!

Anyway, to start the ball rolling on the restoration discussion (hehehe), I compared the 2008 title card to the 2003 title card (mainly because it's the only cap from the film I've got on photobucket!), and I just have to wonder now...Will the real colors of the main titles please stand up?

As far as I can tell, lighthousemike's cap is not modified at all (like the colors adjusted or anything), and mine has not been touched up either. I took the cap of the 2003 title card cause someone on UD asked - like many moons ago - for all the title cards of the DACs, and I provided several of them and saved them in photobucket. I'm surprised that the 2003 version is not only sharper, but also less blue than the 2008 version. Then again, it could be that his monitor settings are different from mine, as was the case for another cap comparison I did once (I think it was his caps of the new Robin Hood: Most Wanted Edition versus my caps of the old Robin Hood: Gold Collection). Or it could be Disney messing with the colors again and calling it "beyond its original brilliance" or whatever line they're feeding these days.

The amount of image that's gained is no surprise. The 2003 DVD was from a 35mm reduction print so it already lost image from the 70mm prints, and comparing it to the 2.55:1 camera negative will obviously show that more image has been cut off. Either way, I'm still annoyed at Disney for just providing the 2.55:1 ratio and not the 2.20:1 theatrical ratio. They're so damn indecisive on which camp to please. :roll: Oh well, hopefully they didn't include a pan-and-scan version again. :P

ETA:

Okay, I took one of lighthousemike's caps and made a comparison cap to the 2003 DVD to show the difference in not only the framing (of the 35mm reduction print vs. the 35mm camera negative) but also in the colors between the two (it's less drastic than the main title).

The top cap is from lighthousemike, from the 2008 DVD. The white rectangle is an approximation (I'm using Paint as I have yet to re-install PhotoStudio to my computer) of what the 2.35:1 reduction print ratio is based on the 2003 DVD, which is the bottom cap. And yes, I'm aware that the 2003 cap is slightly larger than the area within the white rectangle, so sue me. :P Also, the black border around it is not indicative of the 2.55:1 frame that is cut off, it's just empty space.

Anyway, make of it all what you will...

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Call me crazy, but the image on the 2003 DVD looks FAR sharper.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Questions:
Is there any Snow White PE trailer? or the booklet just says that it's the next PE after Pinocchio?.
The trailer for The Princess And The Frog is new or the same one from the official website? (The one that Tiana try to kiss the frog but can't kiss his lips).
What's the DVD Games? it's like those DVD Gameworlds with the Princesses and Dogs editions?.
Disc 2 only has 2 menus?.
And the TinkerBell trailer is new?.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

ichabod wrote:Call me crazy, but the image on the 2003 DVD looks FAR sharper.
If you are crazy then I am going crazy with you!

I too noticed how odd the colors were on the 2008 screens.

I REALLY want to see how the Blu-Ray transfer compares to the DVD one. It would make for a whine...erm I mean FASCINATING debate. :) :p
ImageImageImageImage

Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Yes ichabod ... it is soft. And that is particularly annoying, because I hate soft-looking video. My father bought a 50 inch Plasma TV recently and some of my Disney DVDs look rubbish on it.

Now call me crazy, but I thought that on our new TV, The Rescuers Down Under (unrestored and grainy) and Beauty and the Beast (compression artefacts) looked far better than Aladdin, The Lion King and Pocahontas. The last three are so soft you'd think the characters would soon disappear into the mist. Very disappointing. Pocahontas' softness is particularly severe (along with an oversaturation of colours - in my opinion - to make things worse).

Gah, even The Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company looked nice and sharp!
yukitora
Special Edition

Post by yukitora »

I rather liked the soft look on Peter Pan.

Although for such a picture where long straight lines and jagged edges created the atmosphere of the film, "soft" just doesn't work.

Having said that, I noticed when watching the 2003 DVD on my TV, it actually looked nicer when I turned the sharpness up. So I'll just do that with this DVD if I have to.

I can't wait to see how this compares with the Blu-Ray. Will it just be a "cleaner" image or will it be sharper too?
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Wow it looks so clear, it's been a while since I saw Sleeping Beauty. I'd say that both the 2004/2008 verison are perfect in their own right and I'm considering the upgrade *rolls eyes* sometimes we have a hate/love relationship with Disney *snickers* LighthouseMike think you post pics from Pinocchio's Platinum trailer?
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

Thank you so much for posting these caps, Mike! I'm a little worried about how the soft picture is, but I'm just going to wait and see how the picture looks on my own tv and be my own judge. I think I definitely like this new color palette a lot better, since some of the colors seem a darker shade than in the 2003 restoration, especially those cherry reds.

And I agree with Albert in that I think it's great that the Eyvind Earle: The Man and his Art and the Sequence 8 featurettes are on the DVD and not the CineMagic.

Only a little more than two weeks away and I can't wait! :D
-Tim
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Thanks for the caps LHMike! :)

Could you please scan the insert with the disney advertisements and make some caps for the Pinocchio trailer as well? Many thankies :D

P.S Is the Princess and the Frog trailer the same with this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0j7EactM9s
ImageImageImageImageImageImage