Important(?) BBFC Aladdin posting (Blu-ray soon?)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

It think you lot are putting way too much importance on the collection names. How many collections had Disney actually finished throughout its histroy of home video?

I understand stuff like Black Diamonds were never completed, but I don't really know being from the UK and all that but I know DVD wise Disney has got a 100% failure rate for sticking to their collection branding:

Platinum: This had titles ADDED which (depending on your point of view) weakens the whole point of the brand in the first place. Also the release rate was altered from one per year to two per year.

Masterpiece: Well, that went well - 1 title released (Alice in Wonderland - Now Platinum) and one title promised which never came (Lilo and Stitch). Perhaps Disney's most lamentable "Collection"

Gold Collection: Stopped half-way through.

2 Disc Collectors Editions: (Day and Date titles): Stopped less than half-way through

Anniversary Collections: Basically plastered on any other collection where it fits - see Platinums

Vault Disney Collection: Downgraded to 1 disc, then stopped.

"Silly Name" Editions: Sadly, for the moment these show no sign of stopping (or having decent supplements).

If history has shown anything, its that Disney can turn on a dime when it comes to its release schedules and collections. Now Blu-ray is in the picture, its not unlikely to think plans made two years after the birth of DVD are due to be altered...
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

netty wrote:How many collections had Disney actually finished throughout its history of home video?
If we're lucky, Walt Disney Treasures will be the first. :P At least in the sense of "Disney decided to do X-amount of sets, and will release X-amount of sets". Never mind the fact that some material in the sets may never be released completely ("Elfego Baca/Swamp Fox" for example).
netty wrote:Gold Collection: Stopped half-way through.
In name, but not in spirit! :lol: Much of 2001-2003's animated catalog titles showed the same amount of mediocre dedication to bonus materials!
netty wrote:Vault Disney Collection: Downgraded to 1 disc, then stopped.
And perhaps the only banner title (and bonus-features-standard) that I really really miss from Disney.

I think when Peter Pan got bumped *up* in the schedule, was when I stopped taking the banner titles (and the movies that are "chosen" or "deserve" to belong to one or another) seriously. The 2007 Peter Pan DVD would have been disappointing regardless if it were called Platinum Edition, 54th Anniversary Edition, Collector's Edition, etc.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

There is no excuse for the garbage that is the Peter Pan Platinum Edition.
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

If the blu-ray Aladdin is unedited, then I'll definitely purchase it. I didn't purchase the PE because of this very issue. I refuse to purchase edited movies or television series.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

AlwaysOAR wrote:I refuse to purchase edited movies or television series.
Then I hope your favorite TV show isn't WKRP In Cincinatti! :P

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

Escapay wrote:
AlwaysOAR wrote:I refuse to purchase edited movies or television series.
Then I hope your favorite TV show isn't WKRP In Cincinatti! :P

Albert
It's Seinfeld actually, followed by Cheers. I was going to purchase Cheers once they released all of the seasons, however, recent seasons have been released edited. :x

With Seinfeld, seasons 1&2 are in the correct production order, but season 4 and others are in airdate order. :roll:

I know I'm anal about these things, but geez, can't any of the film studios get DVD releases right. These are small, easily done right, issues and it's mind-boggling we can't get the proper versions of film titles.

Whether it's a pan&scan or non-anamorphic widescreen release ("The Shadow", the original original "Star Wars" trilogy, etc), incorrect aspect ratio release("Apocalypse Now",etc), or edited release ("The Little Mermaid", etc), the studios constantly screw these things up.

My list of film and television titles waiting for a proper DVD release is starting to surpass my actual collection of DVDs.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

AlwaysOAR wrote:
Escapay wrote: Then I hope your favorite TV show isn't WKRP In Cincinatti! :P

Albert
It's Seinfeld actually
:lol: I just picked WKRP since it was notoriously known for NOT being on DVD due to music clearance issues, and Fox finally relented and released the first season...with music substitutions.

Music is what's also keeping The Wonder Years from making the leap to DVD, and that's been pissing me off for years.
AlwaysOAR wrote:, followed by Cheers. I was going to purchase Cheers once they released all of the seasons, however, recent seasons have been released edited. :x
They are? Dammit.
AlwaysOAR wrote:With Seinfeld, seasons 1&2 are in the correct production order, but season 4 and others are in airdate order. :roll:
I hate when companies do that. Universal totally screwed up Sliders on DVD, the Seasons 1 & 2 boxset has episodes in airdate order (I think), which sucks because Fox aired them out of production order. I've had to get a list online and follow that when I wanted to watch Season 1 in order.

On the plus side, A&E made sure that Homicide: Life on the Street was presented in production order on DVD, as NBC aired it out of order.
AlwaysOAR wrote:but geez, can't any of the film studios get DVD releases right.
Criterion? I can't think of ever reading/hearing of a fault with their DVDs, aside from not doing anamorphic titles in their early years (but most have been remedied with an anamorphic re-release that's also a well-done upgrade).

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Don't even mention American Gothic (sadly overlooked genius of a show). That had episodes so far out of order, they made no sense what so ever when viewed.

I bought the US and then the UK release hoping the episode order would be fixed for the UK. Alas, it wasn't.
steve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by steve »

drfsupercenter wrote: Because it was edited. :lol:

Seriously, wtf is so bad about "where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face"? They reference cutting off hands and slitting throats as it is... jeez.
That line was cut before the movie came out on VHS, never mind DVD...
AlwaysOAR
Gold Classic Collection

Post by AlwaysOAR »

Escapay wrote: :lol: I just picked WKRP since it was notoriously known for NOT being on DVD due to music clearance issues, and Fox finally relented and released the first season...with music substitutions.

Music is what's also keeping The Wonder Years from making the leap to DVD, and that's been pissing me off for years.
AlwaysOAR wrote:, followed by Cheers. I was going to purchase Cheers once they released all of the seasons, however, recent seasons have been released edited. :x
Escapay wrote: They are? Dammit.
Yeah, music issues were also the reason that Cheers was edited. In the recently released Season 9, in the episode when Norm gets stuck in the pool room window, they cut out the part where Carla sings the Winnie-the-Pooh theme. And in the episode where Sam is tauting Rebecca about Robin being in jail, where he's holding the boombox playing " I fought the law and the law won..." song, it's replaced by some other song.

There are other edits I won't go into, however, I just can't purchase this series now because of these edits. I'll wait for a future re-release, or blu-ray, hoping they'll get it right. If not, then I guess I'll never own it. As a collector, I just won't purchase edited shows or movies, like Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

steve wrote:That line was cut before the movie came out on VHS, never mind DVD...
If memory serves the line was cut and replaced during the initial theatrical run.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

ichabod wrote:
steve wrote:That line was cut before the movie came out on VHS, never mind DVD...
If memory serves the line was cut and replaced during the initial theatrical run.
I've always heard that it was changed for the VHS release. (Both Wikipedia & IMDB say the same thing, for what that's worth)
steve
Gold Classic Collection

Post by steve »

ichabod wrote:
That's why I said "before the movie came out on VHS". I couldn't quite remember, which is why I phrased it in such a convoluted manner...
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Mystery solved Netty, another name to add to your list "musical masterpiece edition" :roll:

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/46/61/-/5 ... type=genre#
Soar away on a magical carpet ride of non-stop laughs and thrills in one of the most spectacular adventures of all times!

In the heart of an encharted city, a commoner named Aladdin and his mischievous monkey Abu battle to save the free-spirited Prinvess Jasmine from the schemes of the evil sorcerer Jafar. Aladdin's whole life changes with one rub of a magic lamp as a fun-loving, shape shiftin Genie appears and grants him three wishes, setting him on an incredible journey of discovery!

This Musical Masterpiece edition of Aladdin lets you sing along to five of your favourite songs from this classic film!

Special Features:

Lyric Book
Music Modes
Downloadable song
Looks great doesn't it? :roll:

Looks like a 1 disc and I guess this supports the theory it's out of the platinum line up.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Well, I guess that explains the "part subtitled" bit.

A bit strange we are getting a NEW re-release of Aladdin without a Blu-ray though. Because Disney haven't waited their normal 5-7 years, so I guess this means they don't consider Aladdin "special" anymore.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Ok, but maybe this is an exclusively UK release. Do we have news of an Aladdin release for the US?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

OK.

To borrow a phrase from Miss Alice of Wonderland. Curioser and Curioser.

Well we know have conclusive proof that BVHE UK are completely bonkers. Not just average bonkers, but completely Bosnia Herzogivina Eurovison entry bonkers.

On the same day as the 1 Disc DVD of Aladdin comes out (July 7th 2008), The 2 Disc SE is also being re-released.

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aladdin-Robin-W ... n.co.uk</a>
<a href="http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5274751/ ... l">Play</a>

Also the Aladdin trilogy is also being released.

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aladdin-Trilogy ... n.co.uk</a>
<a href="http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5387593/ ... l">Play</a>

The Play listing for the trilogy states the trilogy boxset will be 3 discs, which I guess clears up the fact this new release is 1 disc and also the the boxset will have the new music masterpiece disc. The fact the SE is still being labelled as and SE suggests it will be 2 discs (probably) although perhaps disc one of the SE will be replaced with the new edition?

Any who knows.

Although the fact that Disney are re-releasing Aladdin now really does suggest it's not in the platinum line up any more.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Do other films have "Musical Masterpiece" editions? What exactly is a "Musical Masterpiece" edition? Is it just the movie with the words on screen for the songs during the movie, or the words on screen for the songs as bonus features?

Do you think Disney is testing the waters- if these 2 re-releases sell well in the UK, will they re-release the film in other countries, too?
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

That cover is MUCH prettier then the Aladdin PE cover,that's a very pretty cliparts of Jasmine.
ichabod wrote:Downloadable song
Oh my gosh! I"m so exited! DOWNLOADING SONGS!!! ha!!!!! I can do that in my own without spending money :roll: :roll: :roll:.
Wait,so it did kicked out of the Platinum line? this sukcs :x Aladdin is one of the best Disney films,Jasmine is a Disney Princess,why not keeping this a Platinum? :?.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

i don't get it..what kind of promotion is that..and usually new features r made available on blu-ray as an incentive..but this on dvd? im confused..is it like the sing along versions of HSM? but why aladdin? and not BATB which is more musical? im really confused here..what is this edition? does sing along means having music only tracks without the vocals?

doesnt the platinum already have a select a song option?

WHAT IS THIS!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

disney is taking advantage of my consumerism appetite.
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?