"American Idol" 2008 Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

I can't believe they are being so forgiving. If Brooke had stopped a Broadway show because she "lost a line" her name would have been plastered over with someone else's before the show was done. That is just unacceptable in the world of show business. There are two many pretty, somewhat talented blond girls waiting in the wings who could take your place in a snap for you to be forgiven for a moment like that. You are one lucky girl Brooke White.

Yes I realize this isn't a Broadway show, but it doesn't matter. Brooke has screwed up at least three times on that stage. She deserves to go home, and should have gone home tonight. And this is coming from a person who honestly likes her.

Can't blame Carly for taking her boot so lightly. She had a 2 million dollar record deal and only sold a little over 200 CDs. She can laugh it up straight to the bank.

I'm beginning to think Syesha will probably be the last girl standing. She's like the Nikki of this season, always in the bottom two or three, but never in last place. It wouldn't surprise me anymore to see her place 3rd.

But overall a big thumbs down to the results this week.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Well again it was a popularity contest instead of a singing contest this week and the wrong person was sent home. All those little teeny-boppers with their text messages that mommy and daddy pay for have kept those dreaded locks on for another week. Jason was by far the weakest performance of the night. He doesn't have the talent, nor the vocal range to be a star. Those of you who remember "Welcome Back Kotter" will recognize Jason's patented Barbarino 'what?' grin and inability to put two words together when being interviewed. ALW told him this was not the right song choice, and he didn't listen, and went out and ruined a very wonderful song.

Brooke White has stop-started twice this season, and this time was the wrong time, but even Simon Cowell agrees that it was the right thing to do.

Carly Smithson will be heard from very soon. You can betcha there will be a new CD coming out and it will sell far better than her first one did.

I will stand on my prediction that it will be the two David's in the finals this year, unless one of them screws up majorly in the next couple of weeks.

:)
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

if David Archuleta wins, there could be a possibility that I'll stop watching.

He can't sing. Well, he can obviously sing. But he sounds... raspy. I really don't think he deserves to win.

I cannot believe that he has a chance of winning because a million ten-year old girls obsess over him and text-vote for him like ten times. I like him, I really do, but I just don't think he deserves to win. He's young. He has a big future ahead of him. Please let someone else take home the prize.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Funny, I'm not an obsessive ten-year-old girl, but I really wouldn't mind if he won at all. In fact, I think he deserves to win just as much as anyone still on the stage if not moreso than most of them. And I honestly would rather he win than David Cook, because Cook will end up making it anyway.

I'm more bothered by the fact that somebody like Carly Smithson can be voted off while people like Brooke and Syesha (who are consistently bad) stay on. Or how someone like Michael Johns leaves after Kristy Lee Cook remained far longer than she should have. But, in the end, this is a popularity contest. Just because you have a good voice doesn't mean you'll sell. People often have to like you to give you a second glance.

I'm predicting an all-male top three this year. At least noone'll have an edge when it comes to the corny, crappy song they'll have to sing.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I watched last night's elimination show, but didn't see Tuesday's performances until today.

My rankings:

1. David A.= Nice arrangement! Very enjoyable! What a voice!

2. Jason- I loved it. Part of that might be that I've known the song for years, though. I just thought that the performance was great.

3. Syesha- I love her. She is so awesome! She did not belong in the Bottom Two at all. A little pitchy in some spots; that's why I ranked her as #3.

4. David C.- I prefer Rocker David, but he always has such an incredible voice. I found it a bit boring, though, but he hit the notes.

5. Carly- She has a great voice. I was sad to see her go and not Brooke.

6. Brooke- Do you think she "messed up" on purpose? It was an alright performance- not great, but alright. It wasn't too horrible, but her personality has just been getting on my nerves lately.

I can't wait for Neil Diamond week next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I really don't agree with those who call David Archuleta "gaspy" or "raspy". He is a true star in the making and you have to remember he is only 17 years old. Also last year he suffered from vocal chord paralysis that could have left him without this ability at all. He is NOT a rock and roll singer, so he recognizes that and chooses songs that fit his range and ability. There is nothing raspy or 'gaspy' about him. He is a star, and everyone might as well get used to this year's Clay Aiken.

David Cook has the whole competition sewed up and unless there is a major foul-up on his part the Idol crown is his to wear proudly.

This week, according to the elimination process (boy/girl/boy/girl) it will be Jason's turn to say good-bye (finally) and he will earn it by trying to sing either "Hello Again" or "Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon" and ruining them. This is Neil Diamond week, and there will be plenty of stuff to choose from. I think David Cook will either surprise us with a different take on "Love On The Rocks" or do a hard version of "Kentucky Woman" like Deep Purple did many years ago. This is the week that will rate high among viewers because of Neil Diamond, he has been doing this for over 40 years and is getting ready to head out on the road again for yet another tour of sold-out arenas. Not too many artists have that longevity.

lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :( I'm so sad Carly left! I even voted for the first time this week! All for her!

Ugh....well at least I hope she goes on to do something (I can see her being a new Pat Benatar-type) and doesn't just dissapear. She's so good!
blackcauldron85

So, is the show fixed? If there is a definite pattern of sex determining who gets kicked off every week, then that upsets me.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

This week kinda shot down the whole boy/girl/boy girl thing.

David Archuletta has no star quality about him. He can sing slow ballad songs decently, but he's a one trick pony. He appeals to the teeny-bopper girls in the same way that people like The Backstreet Boys, Aaron Carter and the Jonas Brothers do. As soon as a new cute faced little boy singer comes out Archie will be brushed aside like yesterday's news.

I'm not saying the kid doesn't have talent, I don't think anybody could make it to the top 12 without talent, but he doesn't have longevity. Lots of people who have talent don't become lasting impressions in the music world, hell lots of people who have talent never make it at all.

But it isn't just little Gaspy (I don't care what anybody else says. He gasps very loudly before every sentence he utters) who doesn't have longevity. I don't believe anybody from this "most talented season ever" ( :roll: ) has an ounce of staying power.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I agree. I really don't think we will see anyone from this season becoming a huge success. They may have a hit single or two, but like the contestants from Season 6 I don't think anyone will have that big of a success.

David A. does have the potential to win, although I really hope he doesn't. He has a huge fan base that vote hundreds of times each week. Most contestants do have their fan bases that vote an amazing number of times. I just couldn't sit there the whole time they allow you to vote and keep hitting redial, or keep sending the text messages. Which to me makes it almost pointless to even vote a few times. When all these people are getting in hundreds of votes what does my 3 or 4 even matter...

I still think Idol's big success contestants may have hit a road block. Carrie and Chris are doing very well. Some others have done good in movies and on Broadway, but thats about it. Even the first Idol Kelly is slowly fading away now. Still the show will go on. Its a huge success for Fox, and gets an insane amount of viewers each week.
blackcauldron85

I think that David Cook will definitely have longevity. I believe it was on MTV.com that I read that David has had 2 (I think) albums out, and one (or both?) was just taken off of Amazon.com, and it had been the #1 downloaded album. So, people are definitely interested in his music. I don't know how different his sound is/would be from Daughtry (and apparently he's friends with Chris Daughtry). I definitely think that he will have staying power in the industry, at least for a while, anyway.

A lof of past Idols who haven't won have put out albums, but on smaller labels or just without much publicity. I'm betting that some of the albums are even good, but without the proper marketing won't do well in the long run.

It's hard, though, when you've done well on Idol, since you don't have much control over your first album. I know that Justin Guarini put out an album and it didn't do well (I wanted him to win Season One, but I didn't buy his album...bad marketing, I guess), but his sound has changed and he's still making music. Granted, he may not be reallys uccessful, but it's good that at least these people can continue to make music their way eventually.

If Syesha made a pop record, I'd probably buy it. If it's more soulish, though, then maybe not. I'd be interested in hearing Jason Castro's album, if he makes one.

I want to get Elliott Yamin's album- I've really liked what I've heard from it.
katemonster
Special Edition

Post by katemonster »

Here are my thoughts on David A vs. David C

I like them both (granted David Cook more but i dont dislike David A) and i think that in terms of vocal skills, David A blows David C away, he just has an unbelievable voice..BUT i think that David Cook is WAY more talented than David A. I mean the originality that he has brought to some of the songs has done has been amazing (Billy Jean, Always Be My Baby) and David A just doesnt have that...
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

It's Tuesday, so it must American Idol night on Fox. And the Final 5 are ready to give it their all with Neil Diamond as their mentor. Should be some really good songs, and a chance for all of the contestants to spread their wings. Here's hoping that Jason doesn't screw up a good song again, like he did with "Memory", which was just abysmal. These songs fit all the contestants just right, providing they make the right choices. I am looking for David Cook to shake things up with another 'different' rendition of a Diamond classic.

I am still betting on the final two being the two David's with Cook and Archuleta battling for the votes. And with that said, I do hope that David Cook wins the whole thing, he has a better chance of being a great 'Idol' in the years to come.

Wednesday night at the results show, Neil Diamond will performing. Hard to believe that he has been making music for over 40 years and is still selling out concerts around the world. His new tour starts this summer with the release of his new album.

:D
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Haven't been watching this season much. Sad to hear my favorite got voted off (Carly Smithson). The season's pretty much over for me (like it was last year when Melinda Doolittle got voted off).
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I sincerely hope that Vinnie Barbarino.........er, Jason Castro has enjoyed his run on Idol, because tonight he sealed his fate, in my opinion by ruining two of Neil Diamond's better songs.

Jason attempted to sing "Forever In Blue Jeans", and then turned around and tried to be a crooner with "September Morn". Jason should have learned by now of his vocal limitations. He has no range, and that whisper voice is just plain annoying now. He had a chance to blow everyone away, and was warned by Simon after the first song, that "tonight was the night to show us what you are made of"!! Apparently Jason was sleeping, or not paying attention.

David Cook amazed the panel and the audience with his rendition of two little known Diamond tunes - "I'm Alive" and "Someone Like You". He was given average cudos for the first song, but praised highly again for his interpretation of the second song and Paula said it all when she said, "I think I am looking at the next American Idol"!!

Brooke White was pretty lame with her rendition of "I'm A Believer", but then stole the show with her version of "I Am I Said". She still won't make it past next week.

David Archuleta was amazing as he showed us his voice with "Sweet Caroline" and then wowed the audience with "America". Great choice of songs.

Syesha Mercado is coming on strong, and I don't think she will have to worry about sweating out in the 'seats made for two', as she sang "Hello Again" and then strutted her stuff with "Thank The Lord For The Night Time". She should be in the final three.

My prediction for the final two and I don't think anyone would be surprised, will be Jason Castro and Brooke White with Jason getting sung out by Ruben Studdard.

Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Terrible night. The first round was a complete mess, the second was a bit better but there were no memorable performances at all. It's been 2 hours since the show finished and I'm struggling to recall the night at this point. It's gonna be another "who's popular with the fans" vote.

Onto the ranks:

1. Syesha Mercado* (Song 2) - Showed personality, wasn't as karaoke as most of the other songs of the night.

2. David Cook (Song 2) - Nothing new or exciting, but a decent performance nonetheless

3. Brooke White (Song 2) - That's the Brooke we know and love. I believe this performance saved her this week.

4. Jason Castro (Song 1) - It was a good, safe song choice. I found it a little sexy actually, I don't know why; but I did. :P

5. David Archuletta (Song 2) - It was nice to see him step away from ballads, but I still hated it. He butchered the only two Niel Diamond songs I like. I'm convinced the judges (especially Randy) are overpraising him just because he's marketable and will make money. I thought the same thing last year about Blake and Jordin, and look where they ended up. hmm...

6. Syesha Mercado (Song 1) - Very forgettable.

7. Jason Castro (Song 2) - Nice, boring and forgettable.

8. David Cook (Song 1) - "I just didn't get it."

9. David Archuletta (Song 1) - Two words: Bad. Karaoke.

10. Brooke White (Song 1) - Unbearably awful sounding and awkward to watch.

Sitting in the silver stools this week are:

Brooke White - That Monkey's diddy may do you in.

Jason Castro - If there is one thing you can bet on with Idol it is that if you go first and are forgettable, you go to the bottom 2/3.

Who goes home?

Jason there is coffee shop in Texas that has a stool with your name on it. Run to it.

But what the hell do I know? I'm 1 for 7 (my worst showing ever) this season. Chances are Syesha will go just because the popular table is reserved for the other four.

Meh I don't really care, regardless of who wins I won't be buying their CD.

* I just realized tonight that I've been spelling that wrong for weeks. Sorry Syesha.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

A pretty average night; Neil Diamond was an odd choice for this late in the competition. Simon can't complain about performances that are less than stunning if they're forcing Neil Diamond on everyone.

The rankings...

1. David Archuletta - Both songs were the two best of the evening. Finally, he stepped out of his box and gave us some upbeat songs... and nailed them. Great.

2. Jason Castro - After a rough round last week, he was back in a range that works for him. I was happy that Paula pointed out that he sounded good in his seldom heard lower register (just before she put herself in probably the most awkward moment in "Idol" history). I hope he doesn't go this week.

3. Syesha Mercado - She's really coming in to her own now... neither performance was brilliant but both were pretty good. I'm afraid it's too little too late, though.

4. David Cook - Though he's my least favorite on the show and has been for some time, I actually thought he sounded fairly good this week. Still, he bores me.

5. Brooke White - I've been a fan of Brooke's for a long while now but last week was off and this week wasn't much better. The first song, in particular, was bad even by Top 24 standards. Top 5? Come on... I hate to say it but if she's still pulling that stuff at this point... as much as I like her, it might be time for her to go.

My prediction for the bottom two: Brooke White and Syesha Mercado, with Brooke going home. That will leave us with a final four of David A., David C., Syesha, and Jason.

-Aaron
Disney's Divinity

Not surprising to see the two Davids were at the top of the show this episode. Most of the others were just...bleh. Castro wasn't as good as he could've been and Brooke's first song was horrible.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

So I didn't actually get to see the show (I watched all 10 performances on youtube and didn't get to see any judging till a moment ago) but thanks to Paula it became crystal clear that the judges are told in advance what to say. She didn't even manage to cover up her folly in the least bit convincing way. She attempted to say she was reading Cook's critique, then went on to tell David she loved his performance. Haha nice try. And watching Randy, Simon and Ryan was like looking at deer caught in the headlights. The jig is up, Idol is manipulated by the producers just as I always believed it was.

Yup, Paula just made a fatal mistake.

Ladies and Gentlemen it doesn't matter how you vote. David Archuletta is your season seven American Idol.
Disney's Divinity

I honestly think it was just a mistake, considering she sounded completely confused when she said it herself. Most likely two comments she wrote for two different people ran together and she thought the judges were only supposed to comment after the second performance anyway (which they said at the beginning).

I also didn't see a "deer caught in the headlights" look from the others. They were simply trying to go fast with the time restraints. Maybe it sounds naive, but I thought what I was seeing was just an everyday messup (and with Paula that's no surprise), not a conspiracy.