DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:50 pm 
Platinum Edition

I never saw Newsies I heard it was a great movie, but I will rent it very soon.

I seem to dislike some Live Action Disney films.

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:57 pm 
Gold Collection

This is an interesting thread, not to mention long-lived. I'm glad to see so many Newsies fans writing. In my opinion it's one of the better live action Disneys in recent years.
One thing about the credibility of Musical Comedy, though. I've heard lots of people say the same thing 2099net mentions in his (excellent) review: That it isn't logical for people to suddenly break out in song and dance from one moment to the next.
Well, to be honest, the thing that's puzzled ME ever since I was a kid is why people hardly ever do just that in real life! It's their NOT doing it that seems strange to me!
Er... Anyone else feel this way? (Nope, didn't think so. Sorry.) :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:40 am 

banjoboy wrote:
Well, to be honest, the thing that's puzzled ME ever since I was a kid is why people hardly ever do just that in real life! It's their NOT doing it that seems strange to me!

I feel exactly the same way. I wish more people would sing out loud in public, but that's just my type of perfect world and not many people appreciate that.

Anyway, Newsies.....good songs....haven't watched it since it was on the disney channel oh so many years ago. I remember it having bad dancing, especially for a group of boys....less cheerleadery maybe. Or i might just be remembering it wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:25 pm 
Platinum Edition

I love musicals. I'll have to check this one out. I agree, though, that the musical numbers must have some value to the film and remain true to it... random songs don't make much sense. I like most of the musicals I've seen, though, and wish they would make a comeback (granted, they are in live-action films, to a degree... maybe they will in Disney films as well). Then there are more 'contemporary' musicals, I guess you could call them, like the Sister Acts or maybe even Hocus Pocus.

-Aaron

• Movie & Music Critic and Forum Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Lawyer
• Twitter addict - follow me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:34 am 
Gold Collection

I love Newsies... the amazingly memorable music... the uplifting underdog-triumphs story... the very likeable actors/characters... everything! I don't have a problem with the dancing/staging. I guess I never really analyzed the choreography because I enjoy the movie as a whole, so much.

I've always been a big fan of musicals and have no problem suspending my disbelief about the whole bursting-into-song-and-dance-in-public thing. As long as I like the cast and find the story and songs well-written, I get lost in the movie, and taken out of my Critical Mode. :) (Strangely the musicals that most annoy me, that I just can't get into... are some of the most famous/popular ones... like Grease and Hello Dolly - but that's off-topic so I won't get into why, here)

Anyway, I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of Newsies recommendations.

"Open your wallets and Seize the DVD!"

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:56 am 

no, i hate that movie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

woody8713 wrote:
no, i hate that movie

Welcome to the forum. I think you'll find people will value your opinion a bit more if you try to go beyond 5-word replies. For instance, why do you 'hate that movie'?

It makes discussion all the more rewarding and engaging if you put a bit more thought into your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:13 pm 
Special Edition

I think the choeograhpy in Newsies is great. They give a flawless performance in my opinion. I also think that people should sing in public more often. I do it all the time, and people look at me strange. :? What a place the world is! Oh well. I do love Newsies, and I do wish musicals would come back in style.