DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:24 pm 
Platinum Edition

American Horror Story's fourth season, Freak Show, premieres October 8th, 2014.

Returning cast are Jessica Lange, Evan Peters, Denis O'Hare, Frances Conroy, Sarah Paulson, Jamie Brewer, Emma Roberts, Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, and Gabourey Sidibe. Pattie LaBelle joins in a recurring guest role, among several other new additions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:29 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Remember when I used to be obsessed with "Glee"? Now Ryan Murphy has brought AHS into my life, and it's beautiful. Also, you know, there's no reason why Julie Andrews can't be in this show, too. ;)

I saw Asylum first, and I think it's a masterpiece. All those beautifully written characters: Lana Winters, Sister Jude, Oliver Threadson, Dr. Arden, Sister Eunice, Evil Santa Claus... Fantastic television. Made me fall in love with the beauty of Sarah Paulson's acting. So great.

During Asylum's winter hiatus, I bought Murder House and watched it. I liked it, but I don't feel as strongly about it as Asylum.

I was disappointed with Coven last year, because to me it seemed a lot of wasted potential. Particularly for Kathy Bates' character. And I hated Taissa Farmiga, which was surprising since I really liked Violet in Murder House. And the complete lack of stakes since no one could die. I did preorder the Blu-ray, and I'll rewatch the season and see if my feelings have changed.

But yeah, I am pumped for Freak Show. The clips have looked absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see Jessica Lange do her take on Dietrich and Sarah Paulson have her mini Tatiana Maslany moment.`

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:55 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yes, I'm very excited for Freak Show, too! :D I have to be honest, I probably wouldn't care if I hadn't got drawn into Coven by Kathy Bates, but I'm glad she and Bassett are returning. Plus, the talk of a clown to rival It sounds promising. :P

I saw AHS when it first started back with Murder House, but didn't care for it at the time (partly because of the actress who moved on to Nashville; who's unfortunately looking for a way to come back to AHS). Later, I picked up the first two discs of it through Netflix, but still didn't like it and still haven't finished it. :lol:

I actually started and finished Asylum before Coven aired its finale. I think Asylum is less scatter-brained than Coven, although the concept wasn't something that drew me in. The only part I ended up disliking after seeing the whole thing was the aliens. Everything else worked for me in the end.

I enjoyed Coven, but I think it suffered because the possibilities were so huge. I think this show works more for Ryan Murphy because he basically gets to re-start every year with new characters/stories, so he never gets bored. Unfortunately, I think Coven had so much to offer that it ended up never calming down and focusing on the character development.

Quote:
Also, you know, there's no reason why Julie Andrews can't be in this show, too. ;)
:lol: She could always just show up and sing like Stevie Nicks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:38 am 
Platinum Edition

I enjoyed the premiere! :) My thoughts:

- The clown definitely is terrifying--not so much in the first scene he's in, but when he's terrorizing the children later on.
- I honestly didn't know two people attached together could hear one another's thoughts, so I was freaked out by that, too.
- I'm wondering what is with the mother and son who came to the show? He seemed a little off himself... I wonder if they'll dienext week seeing that preview.
- I have to be honest, the guy with the deformed hands had me thinking he was a hermaphrodite at first. And then I thought maybe he had two penises. :lol: The Nightcrawler commercial only made me keep thinking of that, btw. :P And then I thought maybe Jessica Lange's character was the hermaphrodite, and then a transexual, and then possibly a twin (with that shot in the middle of the singing scene of her in a different outfit).
- Perhaps the killer clown is Lange's character's son?

The small lady is so cute, btw. I know that's probably insulting to her, but I couldn't help thinking that whenever she was onscreen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I've watched the premiere three times now, and each time I like it a little better than before.

I love Elsa Mars. If she continues to be written well, I think she'll become the best character they've ever had for Jessica Lange. I knew there was going to be some reveal regarding her legs, and until the end I kept thinking she might be transexual, too. I especially like that she's a bit of a Marlene Dietrich clone, but she hates Marlene Dietrich. However, the only part of the episode I haven't warmed up to was her "Life on Mars" number. I get that it was partly fantasy and all, but I would have appreciated a more subdued, cabaret tone. What I did find interesting during that song was Elsa dressed up in a Pierrot costume in that one shot. I read once that Jessica Lange had trained with a professional mime artist early in her career. Perhaps we'll see some of that training in this season, maybe through flashbacks in pre-WWII Europe or something?

Sarah Paulson is pretty fantastic as Dot and Bette, although I'm a bit worried that I can already guess the way their character arcs are going to end. I really hope I'm wrong, though. I like Evan Peters this season so far-- he's pretty sexy. As for Kathy Bates, at first I was confused by her accent-- turns out it's a Baltimore accent, which makes sense because I thought she sounded like John Travolta in "Hairspray." I think Kathy Bates' character is in love with Elsa.

I never had a fear for clowns, but Twisty might just do it. He's very creepy. I'm excited to see his story line merge with the freaks a bit more. Speaking of "the freaks," I thought the people showcased this episode were really great. I hope The Illustrated Seal gets more screentime, and I'm fascinated by Meep the Geek. You're right that Ma Petite is very cute-- yeah, that's probably insulting, but so far that's the only function her character plays on the show, to be "cute."

As for the mother and son who saw the performance, I've read some spoilers and I don't think they'll be killed in the next episode. Apparently the son, Dandy, wants to join the Freak Show. ...Maybe Twisty will make that more feasible for him?

Disney's Divinity wrote:
- I honestly didn't know two people attached together could hear one another's thoughts, so I was freaked out by that, too.

Is that true? Can real conjoined twins actually hear each other's thoughts like that? I thought it was the show using poetic license, and was definitely surprised when the first voiceover happened.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
- Perhaps the killer clown is Lange's character's son?

I didn't think about that. Maybe he could be a spurned lover, even?

Anyway, definitely loved the premiere and I can't wait until next week's 90-minute episode!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:49 pm 
Platinum Edition

UmbrellaFish wrote:
As for Kathy Bates, at first I was confused by her accent-- turns out it's a Baltimore accent, which makes sense because I thought she sounded like John Travolta in "Hairspray."
I thought the same thing! :lol: Yeah, she seemed a little overly devoted to her. I'm a little disappointed in Bates' character right now, but I guess that's to be expected after what she had last year. :P

UmbrellaFish wrote:
As for the mother and son who saw the performance, I've read some spoilers and I don't think they'll be killed in the next episode.
It does feel too soon for that to happen. I'm still wondering about the rhyme or reason to Twisty right now. He kept the two children, killed the parents of the boy, and I noticed the first couple we saw him kill mentioned something about not wanting to have a baby before he came up to them. Plus, the way he was acting towards the children he'd locked up seemed like a child having a tantrum.

UmbrellaFish wrote:
Is that true? Can real conjoined twins actually hear each other's thoughts like that? I thought it was the show using poetic license, and was definitely surprised when the first voiceover happened.
Maybe you're right--it could be a choice in order to make the two sisters more unsettling. I agree with you, I'm kind of already expecting how their storyline will go, too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:32 pm 
Platinum Edition

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed the scenes where Dandy and Twisty were interacting. I wonder if Twisty only decided not to kill him because he seems to still have the mentality of a child (he has to have some kind of impairment). Nice to see Patti LaBelle and Angela Bassett, too!

Any thoughts on the musical numbers? They don't bother me, since they go with the story, but I've seen people complain about them on other forums. *sigh*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:47 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I will have to wait a jolly long time to see this in the UK, but am extremely excited for it !

But, I must ask a question … I've been looking at the hashtag / tagline … and I honestly can't make it out ! Been trying for weeks now :lol: I thought it was 'We Sin & Are All Freaks' but it doesn't work with the lettering …. is it a different language ? :? Please help, its been doing my head in !!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:20 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Atlantica wrote:
I will have to wait a jolly long time to see this in the UK, but am extremely excited for it !

But, I must ask a question … I've been looking at the hashtag / tagline … and I honestly can't make it out ! Been trying for weeks now :lol: I thought it was 'We Sin & Are All Freaks' but it doesn't work with the lettering …. is it a different language ? :? Please help, its been doing my head in !!

It's "Wir Sind Alle Freaks," which in English means "We Are All Freaks" (the original is German).

The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:43 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I thought this week's episode was really solid. Dandy is so twisted, I can't wait to see more from him. I think you're right about Twisty having some kind of impairment, Disney's Divinity, or some sort of Peter Pan syndrome. I felt very bad for poor little Meep. He was my favorite, disregarding the fact that his whole act was just biting the heads off chickens.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Any thoughts on the musical numbers? They don't bother me, since they go with the story, but I've seen people complain about them on other forums. *sigh*

I don't have any problem with the anachronistic choices-- I rather like that. But I still think they're overproduced. That's nitpicky, I suppose. I don't mind more performances, though. Especially ones with Elsa Mars.

By the way, I recommend watching the AHS videos on YouTube about the "freak" actors on the show. I think it's called "Meet the Extra-Ordinary Actors" or something. All the interviews were directed by Ryan Murphy. The actors all had very interesting things to say, especially The Illustrated Seal and Amazon Eve (who is transgender, btw).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
Atlantica wrote:
It's "Wir Sind Alle Freaks," which in English means "We Are All Freaks" (the original is German).

Oh my goodness, thank you so much ! I really appreciate you letting me know, was so unbelievably irritating every time I looked at it !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:15 pm 
Platinum Edition

Pretty much all I'm enjoying right now are the scenes with Twisty, Dandy, Patti Labelle and Frances Conroy. Kind of disappointing what they're doing with Bates, Bassett, and Lange right now.

I did like the actor playing the spirit/ghost of the man with two faces, even if that plot isn't working for me. It could be this season just isn't for me, personally, but I hope it picks up.