All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Swan Princess
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:20 pm 

Yo! Any of u like The Swan Princess?
:lol: ~Lisa~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:54 pm 
Platinum Edition

Hi, chick588, and welcome to the forums. The Disney Movie Club forum is only for questions/answers/discussion about the club itself.

Threads for Disney movies/DVDs go in the General Discussion forum.

Something like this that doesn't apply to a Disney movie would go to the Off-Topic forum.

Thanks- hope you enjoy UD! :)

-Aaron

• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:12 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I did a long time ago but I have not seen them in a long time as well. I will I might buy the dvds at a point but why is the 2nd one not on dvd? I know that the 1st was new line/Alliance the 2nd was WB and the 3rd was Columbia Tristar but the dvd the 1st and 3rd are both Columbia and there is no #2.why :? . oh and by the way JOHN CLEESE IS AWESOME (and he played Jean-Bob)

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I did as a child, they were my favorite movies when I was little. BUt I havn't liked them for a while. I saw Swan Pricess 15 times in theatres. True fanatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:48 am 
Special Edition

i really loved it when i was little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:35 pm 
Gold Collection

It's an OK movie,I like the animation,and the duet between Odette and Derek...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:01 am 
Limited Edition

I wasn't exactly little when it came out, LOL!

But I'm interested in getting the DVD. It's more Disney than some of the stuff that Disney has been churning out these days.

And I think Richard Rich is cool. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:10 am 
Collector's Edition

I still remember several years ago when Sizzlers was having the promotion for The Swan Princess and were selling the plushies for however much. Ah... I went to Sizzlers with my family once and I reaaally wanted a plushie but all they had was the one of that frog so I was like "Nah, forget it. >>"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:05 pm 
Special Edition

I like them. There are quite a few of the movies now though. I think that there is a total of three Swan Princess movies now. I like the animation. And Jaun Bob is so cute :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I can't believe there isn't a thread for this, what with Prudy and I liking Rogers and Uberta so much.

Anyway, talk whatever you want to about the film here. Just thought I start this after seeing this pic:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1677434368/tt0111333

ZING! What do the Pocahontas haters think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:53 am 
Limited Edition

I saw this movie on TV, but I wasn't very impressed I think.

I think it's bad kind of advertisement to promote a film by pasting a comment on the poster from some one stating "this movie is much more enjoyable than that other movie". I call it an admission of weakness , because apparantly the movie cannot be judged on its own merits, but has to be set off against another.

This apart form the fact that comparing Swan princess to Pocahontas is a bit like comparing apples to oranges (yes they are both animated love stories but that's it)

Pocahontas haters may love to see such a comment and try out Swan princess, on the other hand Pocahontas-lovers who might initially be interested in Swan princess will be p****d of by such a comment. Not very wise if you want to promote a movie!

Last edited by BelleGirl on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:54 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I like Pocahontas, but I also love Swan Princess. Uberta is awesome and I always seem to have that one song in my head..Forever and For Always? Having a lapse of memory at the moment. Also, that henchmen of the villains is rather funny in her own way.

My DA site :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:38 am 
Limited Edition

I've never seen that image before, but it looks to be one of the UK video releases, so I doubt too many people got the chance to be turned off by it. :P

I enjoy The Swan Princess, with all its crappiness. Hell, I squealed and snatched up the 2-movie box set with the first and third movies at the now out of business local store for $6. (I wish the second movie would get released to DVD here, but it doesn't look as though that'll ever happen. I mean the sequels are pretty bad, but so's the original so it's forgiveable. :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:57 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yeah, The Swan Princess is really a surprise gem. Several of the songs are enjoyable--particularly the opening number--and most of the characters are likable (though Derek gets on my nerves and the villain is boring). Uberta is the best character of the film, but I liked the villain's sidekick-hag, too--hilarious!

I don't really think it's comparable to Pocahontas though. Pocahontas has a more serious tone vs. the overall comedic tone of The Swan Princess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:09 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I loved that movie when it came out and I used to watch it a lot on VHS, because the songs were just so great.
It is not as good as the Disney movies of that time, but still, it is good and definitely a film for little girls.
The only thing that kind of disappoints me when I watch it now, is that Odette's character is so underdeveloped in the second movie. She starts out as a tomboyish, pretty independent girl and young woman and then just becomes this simpering woman who can only think of where her loved one might be and when he is going to save her.
The romantic in me loves that she is so sure Derek will free her eventually, but the feminist in me finds it a little disappointing that she longs for a man who never saw anything else in her than beauty (although he redeems himself in the end when he tells her something about how curageous etc. she is).

And "Far longer than for ever" just has to be one of the most beautiful songs in an animated movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Ok, I don't get the Pocahontas haters reference. Oh well.

I love this movie. For a non-Disney animated wannabe feature.... it's pretty damn good! I also love the song "Far Longer Than Forever."

Now the sequels..... :lol: Not so hot. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:45 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

"Far Longer Than Forever" is great and it got a Golden Globe nom but I'm annoyed it didn't get the Oscar nom after that. Lion king got 3 in that category that year and although it may not be as good as Lion King for some, the song should have been recognized, on it's own merits for begin well written and not by Disney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm 
Platinum Edition

My uncle let me borrow the VHS back in the day, and I don't remember if I enjoyed it much. I really don't remember much about the film. But watching the 3-movie trailer on IMDB...um, the dancing at 00:14? I don't know if they are dancing on a cloud, but that's what I thought... And the villain laughing, looking into the crystal ball? Total Ursula vibe right there... And in the 2nd trailer (the one for just the first film)...when Odette and Derek are in the ballroom (?)- B&tB vibe there. "Princess On Parade"...wow, doesn't seem like a good song. :p The Odette-Derek storyline doesn't seem bad at all, just everything else does. :p

Sorry I don't have much to add to the discussion, but I'm just gradually reading about non-Disney animated films (started with Don Bluth, who generally I like), and this was next in line.

I know that Disney was thinking of making Swan Lake (someone made a thread a while ago about it; here it is:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25463 )

I wonder how much of the Rich version he had thought of when he pitched the idea to Disney...?

Is the love story of The Swan Princess worth revisiting? I don't remember anything about it, and I do love me some love stories... Or is it kind of corny and not worth my time?

*edit*

Watching "Far Longer Than Forever" on YouTube. It's alright. Not awesome. It's alright. :p The melody is pretty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Ah, Amy first you get me thinking about Thumbelina, now this one! :lol:

Like you, I haven't seen it in years, but I know I enjoyed. I'll have to check it out.

I don't know much about Tchaikovsky's ballet, but it would be neat if Disney could make the film with his score incorporated, like they did with Sleeping Beauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

:) I'm just curious, that's all! :) I'm planning on revisiting the Bluth films, but figured I'd read about other studios' films while I'm at it.

I wonder if that ever was an idea, using the original ballet music. I think that that could be amazing if done classically, like with Sleeping Beauty.