DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:33 pm 
Collector's Edition

This thread is for the discussion of the upcoming "The Book of Life" animated movie. It is being produced by Reel FX Creative Studios, who also produced "Free Birds" in 2013.

Official website:
http://www.bookoflifemovie.com/

First trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCdhAr3VBBc

Synopsis:

Quote:
An animated comedy with a unique visual style, "The Book of Life" is the journey of Manolo, a young man who is torn between fulfilling the expectations of his family and following his heart. Before choosing which path to follow, he embarks on an incredible adventure that spans three fantastical worlds where he must face his greatest fears. Rich with a fresh take on pop music favorites, "The Book of Life" encourages us to celebrate the past while looking forward to the future.

(From the Frozen thread):

unprincess wrote:
I'm getting a Nightmare Before Christmas vibe, lots of very detailed busy backgrounds, props & characters, but the designs are very mixed. The human girls in the museum in the beginning looked terrible! I liked the land of the dead(or whatever they call it there) but I think it would have been a far more effective transformation for the main character if he had been human to begin with & not some wooden made being. Its different though so Ill see it, but it will probably be a rental for me.

It's funny you mention TNBC; I my self was getting a "Corpse Bride" feeling. You know, the whole "the main guy dies and finds out that the dead are more colorful (literally and figuratively) than the living, and his true love is still alive, and there's a jerk ass third guy who wants said girl."

As for the humans looking like wood cuts, I think that's the style of the movie. A "hand crafted" vibe, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:26 am 
Limited Edition

I like the style of the CG and the backgrounds looks nice. I might see this one.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 pm 
Super Genius

I hope this doesn't cause another Rio/Newt situation with Pixar's Dia de los Muertos movie.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:34 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disneyphile wrote:
I hope this doesn't cause another Rio/Newt situation with Pixar's Dia de los Muertos movie.

I guess I've been out of the loop. Was that recently announced?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:58 pm 
Super Genius

ajmrowland wrote:
Disneyphile wrote:

I guess I've been out of the loop. Was that recently announced?

It was announced in 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 am 
Platinum Edition

Okay, just as I was leaving the loop then.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:44 pm 
Gold Collection

After seeing those atrocious trailers for Free Birds last year, I never thought I'd be interested in a Reel FX film, but this looks great. Can't say much as to the story from the trailer, but the visuals here are great. Very impressed with their less conventional approach.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:40 pm 
Collector's Edition

Second trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjLLwf88cE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:42 pm 
Special Edition

It looks interesting, but have to wait and see how it scores on Rotten Tomatoes, for me to decide whether to see it in theaters or not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 pm 
Gold Collection

SCREW what Rotten Tomatoes says-THEY always give weird or bad reviews or decent to make a film look bad. Watch sneak peek clips, commercials, the music, art of book AND see the movie and judge for yourself-I know I am gonna do that. Never judge a book like book of life by its cover-read or experience the story to see if you hate or love it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:14 pm 
Collector's Edition

magired1 wrote:
SCREW what Rotten Tomatoes says-THEY always give weird or bad reviews or decent to make a film look bad. Watch sneak peek clips, commercials, the music, art of book AND see the movie and judge for yourself-I know I am gonna do that. Never judge a book like book of life by its cover-read or experience the story to see if you hate or love it.

Curious to know your thoughts on the trailer haha.

Me, I like the idea of it. But two problems exist that are murkifying the optimism:

A) I feel this will go too close the route of Corpse Bride. Though most people seem to forget about that movie, I feel it's distinctive enough to make The Book of Life seem like a rehash.

B) Maria. Her voice doesn't match, like at all. And I don't like the "woman who is one of the guys" trope. I really don't, not unless it gets pulled off by giving her some endearing back story. But as the movie seems to be more focused on the men, and their attempts to win her over, Maria just seems like a "not damsel" damsel. You know, a girl who can sass but is ultimately more prize than protagonist.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:08 pm 
Gold Collection

I DON'T CARE about voice acting or how its like corpse bride-IT strikes me as interesting and fascinating. It has this uniqueness to it-ONCE I see the movie and heard the music and songs-I will give a review to show rotten tomatoes who who.

ALSO we never heard of some of those VAS before-their new SO give em a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:15 pm 
Special Edition

magired1 wrote:

Oh I plan to see the movie. Just a matter of whether it is worth the time, money, and gas to go see it in theaters, or simply wait for the DVD in my local library. So yeah, I do care what critics have to say about it, as well as word of mouth from people on multiple message boards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

magired1 wrote:

You know you're not really supposed to agree with reviews, right? They're mostly there for a self-aware reader to predetermine whether they themselves will enjoy a movie.

And Rotten Tomatoes doesn't give the reviews; just gathers existing ones. And the highest scores tend to be well-liked by people with or without RT anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:50 am 
Collector's Edition

Has anyone seen this movie as of yet?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:40 pm 
Gold Collection

I have! AND IT WAS AWESOME! ;3 It was the most gorgeous, funniest, romantic, loveliest, wickedest, splendid movie ever! IT WAS THE BOMB!

Xibalba and La Muerte are my fav characters and every scene with them was marvelous and funny! :)

Go and see it! You will not regret it! It would be nominated for an oscar and win awards! :roll: :wave: :o rotfl :up: