DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:09 am 
Platinum Edition

A stage musical adaptation of The Prince of Egypt is finally in the works!

Quote:
Q: What are you working on now?

Stephen Schwartz: [...] Then there are ongoing meetings and discussions about a possible movie of "Pippin" and a possible movie of "Wicked," and also DreamWorks has been talking to me about developing a stage version of "The Prince of Egypt." So it's a lot to juggle.
Source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertai ... /22360511/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:54 pm 
Platinum Edition

YES! Please let this get made before Dreamworks implodes. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:01 pm 
Platinum Edition

Aaron Lazar and Norm Lewis to Lead Reading of Stephen Schwartz's THE PRINCE OF EGYPT This Summer
http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Aa ... r-20150601

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

Norm Lewis was King Triton in the TLM musical, right? I didn't like him at all in that, but he'd probably be better-suited for this. I'm not sure how closely this will follow the movie, but I could definitely see him as Rameses' father, Jethro, or one of the Egyptian priests.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:10 pm 
Platinum Edition

The full cast for the premiere concert reading has been announced. Here you can read interviews with the cast.

Quote:
Bay Street Theater & Sag Harbor Center for the Arts is pleased to announce the full cast for the premiere concert reading of the first act of DreamWorks Theatricals new stage adaptation of The Prince of Egypt. This reading is part of Bay Street Theater’s 24th Annual Summer Gala which will take place in Sag Harbor at the Long Wharf on July 11, 2015 to benefit Bay Street’s educational and theatrical programs. The Prince of Egypt features book by Philip LaZebnik (writer of Mulan, Pocahontas) and music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz (composer of Wicked, Pippin, Godspell); both authors will be attending the Gala. Bay Street’s Artistic Director Scott Schwartz will direct the reading, Dominic Amendum is Musical Director, and casting is by Stewart/Whitley.

The special concert reading will feature Broadway and film stars, as well as local talent, including Matthew James Thomas (Pippin, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark) as Moses, Aaron Lazar (The Wolf of Wall Street, This Is Where I Leave You, J. Edgar) as Ramses, Tony Award winner Patina Miller (Pippin, Sister Act, Madam Secretary) as Tzipporah, Norm Lewis (Scandal, Porgy and Bess, Phantom of the Opera) as Jethro, Stephen Bogardus (West Side Story, Les Miserables, Man of La Mancha) as Seti, Julia Murney (Wicked, 30 Rock, The Wild Party) as Queen Tuya, Kyle Barisich (Phantom of the Opera, The Following) as Aaron, John Treacy Egan (Jekyll & Hyde, The Producers, Nice Work If You Can Get It) as Hoy, Ryan Knowles (We Will Rock You!, NEWSical: the Musical, Radio City Christmas Spectacular) as Hotep, Joanna Howard (Peter and The Starcatcher, National tour of Les Miserables) as Nefertari, Julia Motyka (Travesties,Richard III) as Miriam, and Anna Schiavoni as Young Miriam.

Along with the thrilling principal cast there will be a large chorus of local performers led by Choir Master Greg Wilson. The chorus includes: Gary Ducoihy, Marquez Catherine Stewart, Nataliz Fulqieri, Vivian Grizzle-Jaber, Pattiz Hulmes, Courtney Kossick, Matt Luca, Austin Myers, Elizabeth Oldak, Ariana Pazz, Katzlyn Piotrowicz, Zack Reily, Sarah Soltysik, Marquez Catherine Stewart, Matt Tursi, Amanda Tuscorella, Carlton Welsh, Christian Wern, Michelle Wern, and Greg Wilson.
Source: https://www.longislandexchange.com/pres ... er-gala-2/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:17 pm 
Special Edition

Of course the actors playing Egyptian characters (plus Moses) are white. Judging the reactions to certain biblical films, that's totally not going to piss anyone off at all. :roll:

Like, I'm all for racially-divided casting to enforce ethnic barriers in musicals where that's important to the plot (for example, the musical version of Aida), but The Prince Of Egypt is different. Since it's a biblical story, Dreamworks was treading on thin ice already. I know that this is just a reading, and these people were probably just picked for their voices, but... :huh:

I can definitely see Norm Lewis singing "Through Heaven's Eyes" though. :up:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

Stephen Schwartz talks about writing new songs for the stage adaptation and notes that it's unlikely the production will ever reach Broadway.

Quote:
“What’s happened is that DreamWorks has, over the years, with increasing frequency as they’ve gotten into the live theater business, gotten requests about [a stage adaptation of] The Prince of Egypt to the point that they thought it was time to make a live show,” says Schwartz. “The original movie, as with most animated features, has five or six songs, while the high teens are more common in a stage musical. I’m continuing to try and get some writing done on the new songs.”

“In the movie, the musical styles were based on ancient music styles and also hip-hop, modern and folk music. Obviously it’s a contemporary score inflected with those elements. That remains the same [for the stage adaptation],” Schwartz says. “If I were starting from scratch, I’d be doing the same thing. I have done a great deal of research for the music.”

“Hopefully The Prince of Egypt would be licensed out to regional and school theater groups. [Broadway] is unlikely in this case; it’s a pretty expensive proposition and in many ways, exceeds this. We’re not anticipating that.”

The Prince of Egypt remains in development, and Schwartz is excited about the ongoing project. “My hope is that The Prince of Egypt could have a wide appeal,” he says. “We’re very excited that we have the opportunity to have this reading at Bay Street.”
Source: http://www.danspapers.com/2015/07/steph ... reet-gala/