DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Last Unicorn
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:03 am 
Collector's Edition

Is anyone else around here a fan of this wonderful movie/book?

It's truly a beautiful and genuine story, and I like how despite using typical fantasy tropes (unicorns, evil kings), he still manages to subvert most of these tropes and add his own twist to them (the "maiden" whom the unicorn meets isn't an innocent young girl, but an aged cynical woman; the magician is incapable of controlling his magic; the villains are given an understanding point of view which give a reason to their villainous acts, we want to stop them from committing more evil deeds but we feel sorry for them; the princess is cold and emotionally distant, and the prince and her don't end up together by the end of the story).

i love the old movie, too. I think the animation is pretty and it's cool with its semi-anime influence.

I'm hoping the live action movie will come out soon, but I hope it's faithful to the original story. If hollywood cuts out important elements from the book just to get a forced "happy ending", I will get angry.

Post subject: Re: The Last Unicorn
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

TLU is one of my all-time favorites. I first saw it when I was 7 or 8, but of course back then I couldn't see just how somber the story is, I just liked the (pseudo-)anime look and the music. Later on, on subsequent viewings, I began to see the intricate details of the plot and character complexities and developed a deep fascination with the film and its history. I like to see it as the first in my "Angela Lansbury Trilogy" :D -- the lady has voiced characters in my top three animated films (TLU, BaTB, Anastasia).

I have yet to read the novel but it's on my list. I know a lot about it, though, so I doubt a live-action adaptation would do it any more justice than the 1982 film. If anything, it would be dumbed down to meet the Hollywood requirements and audiences' penchant for overblown CG crapfests. If there ever was a perfect time for dark fantasy films it was the '80s, and TLU hit it just right.

Post subject: Re: The Last Unicorn
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I haven't seen the film, but I read the book almost ten years ago and it was absolutely masterful.