DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 pm 
Limited Edition

This is a little surprising:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=222448

And I just got the Platinum Edition Blu a few months back.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:04 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Shameless Maleficent tie-in.

I bet it will be an exact copy of the platinum edition.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:06 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

PatrickvD wrote:

I bet it will be an exact copy of the platonische edition.

That wouldn't bother me, I didn't have a blu-ray player back then and only picked up the DVD set. Hope it's at a decent price. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

It will probably be a rushed release and won't feature anything new.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:13 pm 
Platinum Edition

It's roughly a year and a half away, so I'm sure they'll manage to find something new to include.

Even if it'll likely just be a single-disc Blu-Ray (plus DVD plus Digital Copy code).

With most of the Platinum extras except for art galleries and interactive features.

And the same transfer.

:|

Never mind.

Albert

WIST #56:
Aaron: With Mary Poppins and Pete's Dragon on Blu-ray, Bedknobs & Broomsticks seems like a given. Come on, Disney! They could even call it the Naboom-Blu Edition!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Escapay wrote:
It's roughly a year and a half away, so I'm sure they'll manage to find something new to include.

They could include a shameless promo of Maleficent to replace the old bonus features . . .

*glances at the prices of unopened sets*

I can only hope it's the exact same release as before. :|

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:29 pm 
Platinum Edition

enigmawing wrote:
Escapay wrote:

They could include a shameless promo of Maleficent to replace the old bonus features . . .

I can see it now: "The Legacy of Sleeping Beauty with Angelina Jolie." A ten minute featurette in which Jolie discusses her love of the film, mixed with a special behind-the-scenes look at the making of Maleficent. I'm sure this'll be a day-and-date release with Maleficent on Blu-Ray, making such a featurette redundant already.

Albert

WIST #56:
Aaron: With Mary Poppins and Pete's Dragon on Blu-ray, Bedknobs & Broomsticks seems like a given. Come on, Disney! They could even call it the Naboom-Blu Edition!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:34 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Escapay wrote:
I can see it now: "The Legacy of Sleeping Beauty with Angelina Jolie." A ten minute featurette in which Jolie discusses her love of the film, mixed with a special behind-the-scenes look at the making of Maleficent. I'm sure this'll be a day-and-date release with Maleficent on Blu-Ray, making such a featurette redundant already.

Albert

With "NOW AVAILABLE ON DISNEY BLU-RAY AND DVD!" plastered all over the featurette. Buy it now kids, before it goes back into the vault and skyrockets on eBay!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:59 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Oh goodness yes, it will be totally merged with the Maleficent. I don't see how that is a surprise ?!

I think we will be jolly lucky if it is a duplicate of the original Blu; I myself didnt have a player back then so purchased the 2 Disc DVD Set with the special packaging and book (those were the days when Disney cared enough to spread a release on a shocking TWO DISCS).

I think I will hold on to my DVD copy for now; the transfer was so lovely, I'm not sure how they can improve it again. And they will only get rid of most of/all the bonus features, and keep a few on as 'classic dvd features'.

A small point, but I hope the cover art is improved upon for this release; though I suspect it will mainly feature Maleficent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:34 pm 
Platinum Edition

PatrickvD wrote:

Yep pretty much. Kinda like when the Tinkerbell movie was announced, Peter Pan was announced out of no where. And we all know how wonderful that Platinum DVD was/is :roll:

PatrickvD wrote:
I bet it will be an exact copy of the platinum edition.

I wouldn't bet my money on it. It could lose things on it too. Either way I'll probably pass on it as my Platinum Edition is great though I hope the Diamond Edition does have the special features for those that weren't able to get it.

This will mark the first time I pass on a Disney Animated Classic Diamond Edition.

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:50 pm 
Collector's Edition

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:

A small point, but I hope the cover art is improved upon for this release; though I suspect it will mainly feature Maleficent.

Just thought of that.

Maybe they´ll do a cover like with Tim Burton´s Alice in Wonderland.

Remember... ALICE in Wonderland. But the posters had Johnny Depp as the main thing...excuse me; Mad Hatter (because we all know had the character was portrayed by any other actor wouldn´t have that recognition).

...still, I would have find it fair if it was all the Wonderland characters center prominent and Alice small lost between them. Or The Queen of Hearts sharing cover (she´s the "villain" after all).

So, back in the subject, Maleficent will be the central spot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:12 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

O...kay...? I guess the strategy makes sense: Maleficent in theaters March, Maleficent on Blu-ray June, Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray October. If that's the case, though, what's happening with Aladdin and 101 Dalmatians? Are they just going to be released as non-Diamonds next year (like the rest of the world's already gotten), or will they be the 2015 ones? If it's the former, does that mean Pinocchio's coming March 2015 and Snow White will kick start a new collection October that year?

I've already got the Platinum and am 100% satisfied with it. Like Albert said, I can only see this release becoming a downgrade based on the way Disney's been handling its films on home video. They'd have to come up with something amazing to get me to double-dip (like extensive live-action reference footage found in the vault or something). Even then, I'd still hold onto my old set for the Cine Explore and galleries, things that will surely get dropped.

As for cover art, I wouldn't be surprised to see them use the potential leaked art from the Platinum (the one in the middle of the lineup):

Which itself was inspired by the Deluxe Edition laserdisc:

They finally used Cinderella's leaked Platinum art of her holding the slipper when doing the Diamond Edition, so it seems likely they'll go a similar route with Sleeping Beauty, especially to visually tie it in with Maleficent.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I was actually planning on the Platinum Blu-Ray being my next purchase once I saved up enough in my Amazon account to buy it, but if we're getting a Diamond Edition next year, I'll just wait. If it's like the others where they just shove all the old PE features in SD and the movie onto a single disc, I'll be fine with that, as that release had excellent material.

If nothing else, this will likely cause copies of the original Platinum Blu-Ray to go down in price in the Amazon Marketplace and I'll be able to pick that one up for a great price if this one turns out to be a major downgrade. Either way, I'm just gonna hold off till next year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:44 pm 
Limited Edition

The release date just sank in. Not intrigued at all, and this messes my predictions that the Diamond would be in 4K. :angry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 pm 
Collector's Edition

Disneykid wrote:
O...kay...? I guess the strategy makes sense: Maleficent in theaters March, Maleficent on Blu-ray June, Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray October. If that's the case, though, what's happening with Aladdin and 101 Dalmatians? Are they just going to be released as non-Diamonds next year (like the rest of the world's already gotten), or will they be the 2015 ones? If it's the former, does that mean Pinocchio's coming March 2015 and Snow White will kick start a new collection October that year?

I've already got the Platinum and am 100% satisfied with it. Like Albert said, I can only see this release becoming a downgrade based on the way Disney's been handling its films on home video. They'd have to come up with something amazing to get me to double-dip (like extensive live-action reference footage found in the vault or something). Even then, I'd still hold onto my old set for the Cine Explore and galleries, things that will surely get dropped.

As for cover art, I wouldn't be surprised to see them use the potential leaked art from the Platinum (the one in the middle of the lineup):

They finally used Cinderella's leaked Platinum art of her holding the slipper when doing the Diamond Edition, so it seems likely they'll go a similar route with Sleeping Beauty, especially to visually tie it in with Maleficent.

Pardon me for popping in at random, but can I ask where I can find those in a bigger picture? ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:46 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disneykid wrote:

I really hope so! I've always liked the 3rd/4th cover with Maleficent overlooking Aurora & Phillip and her sleeve morphing into the dragon is a nice touch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:54 pm 
Collector's Edition

Keep in mind that Maleficent will get released in July, not March as previously announced, so the Blu-ray/DVD release may be the same month as the Sleeping Beauty release.

To bad if this release turns out to be a rushed release because of the Maleficent release. And I would also have liked for this release to be in 4K. Will this be the last physical release of Sleeping Beauty, I wonder? In that case, it's a shame if it won't be in 4K.

Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:05 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

If the new cover prominently features Maleficent, it'll be ironic, as she's not been featured on a cover for the film in fairy form since the Masterpeice VHS release. I have every home video release of Sleeping Beauty, so I'll undoubtedly purchase this as well. I look forward to seeing what else Disney will tie in with Maleficent!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:46 am 

lord-of-sith wrote:
If the new cover prominently features Maleficent, it'll be ironic, as she's not been featured on a cover for the film in fairy form since the Masterpeice VHS release. I have every home video release of Sleeping Beauty, so I'll undoubtedly purchase this as well. I look forward to seeing what else Disney will tie in with Maleficent!

That's only true for the States:

UK/France: Image Image

Germany: Image

Other countries share the same artwork, just with other titles.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:40 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Dosencola wrote:
That's only true for the States:

UK/France: Image Image

Germany: Image

Other countries share the same artwork, just with other titles.

That's what I meant. It seemed like they were purposely trying to avoid marketing her on the cover, and instead the more boy friendly dragon version. At least in the US, that is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next