The Aristocats: 2-Disc (?) Special Edition DVD Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
dalmation134
Gold Classic Collection

Post by dalmation134 »

I hope that there will be a lot of special features, and not just a few. The Little Mermaid had the perfect amount of special features. I hope its like that.
BambiFan87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BambiFan87 »

wow!! this makes me happy I guess disney didnt go completely cheap after all.. and im very very happy and cant wait to get this dvd!! Im thinking disney tried to make dumbed down dvd's and still try to make good money (FatH, Dumbo, Robin Hood) and they probably didnt sell as well as disney thought so maybe they are going to make 2 discers for all the rest of the DAC's!!! because thats what WE WANT!! and why do they change the dvd's for different countries?? like we get 2 discers of some movies and other places dont..but the uk is getting a 2 disc set for dumbo?? why dont they make them the same everywhere???!
Pluto Region1
Special Edition

Post by Pluto Region1 »

TonyWDA wrote:A TWO DISC DVD??????!!!!!! :D :D :D :D:pink::pink::pink::pink:

AAAWWWEEESSSOOOMMMEEE!!!!!!!! This movie deserves it! You guys must be crazy to think it doesn't deserve it! I think we can all agree that this film has a lot of music and history behind it in terms of the studio.
Pasta67 wrote:This film was pretty significant history-wise, since it was technically the last animated movie Walt had anything to do with, so maybe they'll get Leonard Maltin or John Canemaker to sit down for a commentary, or at least a retrospective featurette.....
*Looks at the re-releases of Dumbo, Tarzan, TF&tH, and Robin Hood sitting on his shelf*

Ah, what could have been...
Why wouldn't Dumbo which was really significant in the history of Disney studios (saved the studio from bankruptcy) not get a 2 disc or be even treated as a platinum classic that it is?

Or why did Fox and the Hound etc only get 1 disc? Or why is Hunchback not being re-released? It must have to do with sales. How well did these films do when they were first released? I don't have the answers but it probably has to do with their original sales figures and popularity, and therefore they figure that the DVD sales will follow that trend...

I will say this, this is the ONLY Disney film I have a recollection of seeing in the theater when I was a kid! I bought the GC version last year at Target and still have it in shrink wrap (like most of my collection :roll: ) so this will be a major double-dip for me, but I will buy it and support the return of the 2-disc! As for why a 2-disc, here are some cockamammie theories I have (and not in any real order):

1. Maybe it is a budgeting thing. Maybe each DVD has a project manager and maybe some managers have more pull/influence and/or can get more $$ for their releases.

2. Maybe it is a new decision to from now on give them a 2-disc treatment

3. Maybe this movie did really well at the box office when it was originally released.

4. Maybe they have done market studies and know that babyboomers who saw this film in the theaters as kids would be the primary market and that they could max the sales in this demographic by giving it a 2-disc treatment.

5. Or maybe reason #4, coupled with the fact that this film is highly popular overseas, AND the Marie character is popular overseas, that all those factors means they have a lot of people willing to buy this film for different reasons and thus it warrants the special "carrot" of a 2-disc edition.

6. Maybe Pasta is right and it has to do with the historical significance - but if that was true, why didn't Dumbo get a 2-disc release (its much more historically significant due to age and that it saved the studio); which points more to the idea that maybe it is a policy change or it has something to do with marketing and sales projections.

OK, end of my speculating. Now time for some feedback! :lol:
Pluto Region1, Disney fan in training
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I just remembered that on my recent trip to Disney World in December, stores had a lot of brand new Marie stuffed animals in all shapes and sizes. They weren't there in August, but in December, there were relatively large stuffed animals, regular sized stuffed animals, a slightly smaller Christmas version, and several different beanies. They seemed to really be pushing the character, and it seemed to be working. I saw a lot of little girls carrying around the plush or wearing a T-shirt or having her many different pins on their lanyards. This cute Disney kitten appears to be growing in popularity in the parks and that could have something to do with this 2-disc set. I'm sure that at least one of the games will be centered around Marie.

And as I pointed out earlier, let's not forget that this film was supposed to have a sequel. Disney usually re-releases films with a sequel on the horizon (probably the main reason that "The Fox and the Hound" even got an upgrade this past fall) and sometimes, they give the original a nice 2-disc treatment ("Mulan"). So it really does make sense that Disney would have started assembling material for a 2-disc edition of "The Aristocats" to use as a promotional vessel for the now shelved sequel. So with Marie's huge popularity overseas and growing popularity here in the U.S., it seems completely normal that this film is getting the royal treatment. I do agree that it feels like a slap in the face that "Dumbo" was given a minimal release here and "The Aristocats" is getting the type of treatment "Dumbo" deserved, but since a 2-disc set is being released overseas, we will probably see a 2-disc and/or blue ray treatment of "Dumbo" with all of those bonus features within the next 4 years, since "Dumbo" is on a 5 year rotation. So patience is a virture and let's just be greatful we are getting a non-Platinum 2-disc set.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Does anyone know if the Cinderella III DVD offers a trailer for the upcoming Aristocats release or is it just the paper insert?
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
lighthousemike
Gold Classic Collection

Post by lighthousemike »

Simba3 wrote:Does anyone know if the Cinderella III DVD offers a trailer for the upcoming Aristocats release or is it just the paper insert?
there is no trailer - just the paper insert.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Pluto Region1 wrote:Why wouldn't Dumbo which was really significant in the history of Disney studios (saved the studio from bankruptcy) not get a 2 disc or be even treated as a platinum classic that it is? Maybe Pasta is right and it has to do with the historical significance - but if that was true, why didn't Dumbo get a 2-disc release (its much more historically significant due to age and that it saved the studio); which points more to the idea that maybe it is a policy change or it has something to do with marketing and sales projections.
From October 2005 until, like, just a few months ago, Disney re-released Tarzan, The Emperor's New Groove, Dumbo, Robin Hood, and The Fox and the Hound with slightly better transfers for the latter three and new 5.1 remixes for the latter two, but little to nothing else of substance. I've been constantly trying to come up with reasons as to why they've been so lazy, and I've come up with a few conspiracy theories like you have. The only possible ideas I can come up with that make sense are:

- Disney Just Wants a Quick Buck: The DVDs for the movies that Disney re-released between late-2005 and now were either out-of-print or very hard to find. My hunch is that since most normal consumers don't really keep track of what movies are out, Disney just found an easy, easy way to make money by "reminding" the public that these movies are still available to own on DVD. Of course, they did this in the most effort-consuming way they possibly could: by gathering features from DVDs in different regions for the same movies and putting them together, all while removing trailers, adding slipcovers, and making sure that they didn't put too much substance into the discs. It makes sense to me, and it's the only reason I can see them having for re-releasing Robin Hood. I mean, I've tried as hard as I can, and I haven't been able to come up with a single logical reason why they would want to revisit that movie, especially considering they didn't add anything for its' new DVD. It's like they put the list of Animated Classics in a circle and then spun a bottle to see which one they should pick next. But, I know it's futile to try to connect Disney's ideas with logic, but I just thought I'd try.

- Blu-Ray: Small theory, but I've been thinking that since Blu-Ray is becoming the new "It" girl for home media fans, that Disney's just been holding back features from these re-releases and waiting until their future Blu-Ray releases to dish them out. Maybe they think that if the Blu-Ray releases of their movies have more features than their DVD counterparts, people will buy them quicker than they would have if they just contained the same old stuff. It's already been proven that they held back features from movies like Chicken Little, since that will be getting a commentary for its' Blu-Ray release. Disney might have thought that since Blu-Ray is coming around, they can be lazy until then.

- They Didn't Feel They Needed to Add Anything: With movies as popular as Tarzan or Dumbo, Disney probably thinks that these movies will just sell themselves, so they see no need to add anything for the DVDs. That still doesn't explain why Robin Hood was re-released, though.

I wouldn't be surpised if I was wrong on all three of these ideas.

As for Dumbo being more historically significant, you're right, it is, but I just chalk it up to that "Dumbo sells itself!" idea. Even if I'm right in any of these theories, though, that still doesn't explain why Disney's giving The Aristocats two discs. I'm not complaining, but I can't figure out why they would pick such an unpopular title, when Hunchback and Hercules are sitting in the corner watching their one-disc-only bonus features for the millionth time. You could be right in assuming that there was some kind of policy change, and I hope you are, because that would mean that Disney's actually trying again. It's just... leaves me ever so puzzled.

And I still don't know what they were thinking with Robin Hood. :brick:
Pluto Region1 also wrote:Or why did Fox and the Hound etc only get 1 disc? Or why is Hunchback not being re-released?
Rule One of Disney Marketing: Confuse the hell out of fans, and when they're finally off-guard, confuse them even more!

That's all for today's lesson, kids. Be sure to bring goggles and sponges tomorrow; we'll be dissecting slipcovers.
- John
emileeetling

Post by emileeetling »

Awesome!!!!!!!

I love that movie
I am what I am!..................................................

I think....
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

I think that this release is a test. For a while there almost every release we got was a 2-disc and they took that away from us and now they are coming back with this release. I think they kind of want to see what we're willing to buy. If this sells really well i think we'll get more 2-disc releases again.

To me Pocahontas's 10 anniversary edition was near the same thing, except they were seeing just how much stuff they can put on a non-platinum and see how well it sells.

Might be the same with the 2-disc edition of the Lion King sequels as well.

I think disney noticed that people didn't really buy into the single disc "upgrades" so they are trying something new! That and Marie is huge overseas!

thats just my theory though.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

lighthousemike wrote:
Simba3 wrote:Does anyone know if the Cinderella III DVD offers a trailer for the upcoming Aristocats release or is it just the paper insert?
there is no trailer - just the paper insert.
Thanks for the update - I'm sure we'll see one surface soon! I've said it like 10 times now but I am really excited to see some cover art!
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

BambiFan87 wrote:wow!! this makes me happy I guess disney didnt go completely cheap after all.. and im very very happy and cant wait to get this dvd!! Im thinking disney tried to make dumbed down dvd's and still try to make good money (FatH, Dumbo, Robin Hood) and they probably didnt sell as well as disney thought so maybe they are going to make 2 discers for all the rest of the DAC's!!! because thats what WE WANT!! and why do they change the dvd's for different countries?? like we get 2 discers of some movies and other places dont..but the uk is getting a 2 disc set for dumbo?? why dont they make them the same everywhere???!
well we never got a 2-Disc Alice in Wonderland so maybe they're making up for that, or the site has made a mistake
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

dalmation134 wrote:I hope that there will be a lot of special features, and not just a few. The Little Mermaid had the perfect amount of special features. I hope its like that.
That is my favorite movie, but I unfortunately have to say that I was very dissapointed with the bonus material. I expected so much more. My favorite, in terms of bonus features, is Aladdin. I love everything on it.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

yamiiguy wrote:
BambiFan87 wrote: well we never got a 2-Disc Alice in Wonderland so maybe they're making up for that, or the site has made a mistake
In Scotland you didn't get a 2-disc AiW? We did in the U.S....
it stinks that different countries get different releases, even at different times...You guys are apparently getting a 2-disc "Dumbo"...I want a 2-disc "Dumbo"!
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

yamiiguy wrote:HATE TO SAY IT BUT I TOLD YOU SO!!! :lol: and as someone familiar would say, I'm buying lol:
In the words of Triumph The Insult Comic Dog: Oh yes!! Ohhh Yes!!!!!!!!!!
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

xxhplinkxx wrote:
dalmation134 wrote:I hope that there will be a lot of special features, and not just a few. The Little Mermaid had the perfect amount of special features. I hope its like that.
but I unfortunately have to say that I was very dissapointed with the bonus material.
Ditto. (cut off the favorite movie part, as TLM isn't).
xxhplinkxx wrote: I expected so much more. My favorite, in terms of bonus features, is Aladdin. I love everything on it.
Ditto again!

Also, I really love the Atlantis bonus material. That one truly sets the bar for any other Disney CE.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
yamiiguy wrote: In Scotland you didn't get a 2-disc AiW? We did in the U.S....
it stinks that different countries get different releases, even at different times...You guys are apparently getting a 2-disc "Dumbo"...I want a 2-disc "Dumbo"!
I don't think anywhere in Europe got a 2-disc AiW correct me if I'm wrong...
humphreybear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by humphreybear »

they market aristocrats hard to little girls. They have a demographic the movie appeals to that they an market plush and toys and clothes for. They market aristocrats much more than robin hood or fox and hound.
Scaramanga
Limited Issue

Post by Scaramanga »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
yamiiguy wrote: In Scotland you didn't get a 2-disc AiW? We did in the U.S....
Contents may be identical ... just split over 2 discs. I remember The Lion King 2 SE's special features being nearly identical in R1 & R2 .. in R1 they were just split over 2 discs. As long as the content's there I could care less about the actual disc count.
" ... Omnium gallorum fortissimi Belgae sunt ... "
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Scaramanga wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote: Contents may be identical ... just split over 2 discs. I remember The Lion King 2 SE's special features being nearly identical in R1 & R2 .. in R1 they were just split over 2 discs. As long as the content's there I could care less about the actual disc count.
nope, we didn't get the best feature, One Hour in Wonderland
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

I was very pleased to hear this news, as I've always been a huge fan of this movie and somehow missed the DVD release the first time around.

I think Disney knows a money-maker when they see one, and unfortunately it's much easier to market cute little Marie cats to little girls than it is to market boy stuff, or gender-neutral stuff.

Have you ever gotten excited about shopping for your son/nephew/grandson etc...? There's just not that much 'cuteness' in Power Rangers.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN