What are you reading/have you just read? Vol. 2

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

I finished Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (the final book in the Hunger Games), and was utterly disappointed. If you read the first two, picture a better ending in your mind and don't read this. Same with the Underland Chronices.
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

I am currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It's a very satisfying read.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Well, for English 101 I had to read Sudhir Venkatesh's Gang Leader for a Day. It was certainly interesting, but kind of boring because I really don't care that much about gangs. And I'm finally on to The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson! I have about 120 pages left but I can't decide if it's the best one or not. I very much enjoyed The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was great, too (but it did kind of take awhile to get into the actual story). I hope to finish the novel by tomorrow!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

I just finished reading In Search of April Raintree, and I really enjoyed it. It is about a young native girl and her sister and they are taken away from their parents, because of their alcoholism. It chronicles the sisters lives (April and Cheryl). If you are interested in Canadian fiction, I really recommend this book.

Score: 9/10
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

For the second time I have just finished reading Beyond the Garage the self-penned autobiography of Sean Bonniwell of The Music Machine, the proto-typical garage band of the 60's. This book is a real eye-opener for those who think life in a rock and roll band is a bed of roses, it isn't. I truly am in total respect for Mr. Bonniwell's honesty and open book into his life. Thank God he survived and at the ripe old age of 70 is still rocking today. If you want to know more about this book and the library of music that is available you can go to:

www.bonniwellmusicmachine.com

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Mockingjay- Susanne Collins

Meh. I really didn't like it. It definetly had less action than the other two. I liked parts of the ending, but hated others. I still stand by that The Hunger Games is the best of the series. Overall, I thought this was a rather disappointing end to a good series.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Since it is halloween, I decided to start reading another Stephen King book (I read The Shining over the summer). The book I chose was Carrie. So far, it is okay, but it's kind of boring.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Christine- Stephen King. Not as good as The Shining, but he really is an amazing writer, and I enjoyed the book.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

I'm about 500 pages into The Girl Who Played With Fire. Not liking it as much as the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but still good nonetheless.

Going to start reading "The Southern Vampire Mysteries" (or the True Blood books to those who know about the books only because of the show) while I wait for The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest to come out in paperback.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I'm more than halfway through Water for Elephants. It's a very interesting story and I can't wait to finish it soon. I have no idea what I'll read next, or if I'll even have time to read something else. I know I want to reread Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows before Part 1 comes out, but I don't think that'll happen.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Under the Dome- Stephen King. So far, so good. I'm liking it much better than Christine.
Animalia
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Animalia »

Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
Disclaimer: I watched the 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice and loved it. From what the bits I've seen of the BBC with Colin Firth I don't care for it (a crime in itself to fans). So perhaps seeing the movie before reading the book has affected my reactions to it.

Jane was surprisingly the most disappointing character in the book versus the movie. She never really seemed completely human to me, maybe because she never really expressed any of her feelings? I don't know. It was difficult in reading any parts with either Wickham or Lydia. Austen did a great job of completely making you dislike them probably as much as Elizabeth's dislike of Darcy. Mr. Darcy I think was the soul to the book, he was my favorite character in the whole book. You can't help but adore a man who would go to basically the ends of the earth to spare you emotional pain. I loved Mrs. Gardiner's letter and how she was describing to what lengths Darcy went to spare Elizabeth misery. Also the scene where Elizabeth has just heard that Lydia is missing and Mr Darcy comes in with such compassion and concern, is nothing but romantic!

So it was a good book by Jane Austen (I do prefer Georgette Heyer), ahead of its time definitely. Instead of reading the book again though, I'll probably watch the movie instead, it had all the best parts of the book (improved Jane's character) and it's shorter. :D 7.7/10
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

This is what I'm reading

It's a good book.. I have no doubt those who liked the Percy Jackson books will love this one
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Last night I finished The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. Definitely had twists and turns...I didn't know how it would end! Wonderful, just like all of his books.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I just finished The Notebook, The Proof, The Third Lie: Three Novels by Agota Kristof. This book is where the main characters from the video game Mother 3 were developed from. Brilliant books. Also very disturbing and thoroughly mind warping.

I'm now reading Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist and it too is brilliant. I watched the film (the original Swedish version, not the recent remake) beforehand and was blown away by it. This is like Twilight - but good. Sorry Twilight fans
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I finished Water for Elephants last night and it was wonderful. And now I'm a little puzzled as to why they picked some of the actors for the film that's coming out next year. Jacob doesn't seem to fit with Robert Pattinson and I never imagined Reese Witherspoon as Marlena. Hopefully they'll make it work, but I'm kind of skeptical at this point. I don't have any more books to read at the moment, but I'm sure I'll find something soon. I'll definitely be reading during Christmas break, though.
Coolmanio
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Coolmanio »

Not Wanted on the Voyage by Timothy Findley

This novel is wonderful, and is definitely one of the best books I have read in a long, long time. It is a modern retelling of the Noah's Ark story from the bible. It focuses on the characters: Dr. Noah Noyes: A crazy old man of 800 years who blindly follows the lords guidance and experiments on cats (allusion to the holocaust), Mrs. Noyes: Dr. Noyes' wife, she is seen as just a woman without any real value to society, but she has a strong backbone and turns into the character you root for in the novel, and Mottyl: Mrs. Noyes' cat, she is a calico and very wise. Because of all the experiments done on her by Dr. Noyes all of her children have died and she has become half blind. These three characters are the main 3, but are supported by numerous other characters.

This novel has sparked A LOT of controversy, especially with its depiction of homosexuality. And believe me, there is A LOT of it (the author, Timothy Findley, was also gay). This book is very enjoyable, and moves at a very brisk pace (after the first 50 pages or so).

10/10 (READ IT!!!)
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

The Hunger Games, which was recommended to me by my sister. I think it is kind of interesting so far, but it does drag a bit in a few places. I have been told the book is violent, but so far, I not noticed anything too violent happen yet.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Finished The Hunger Games and am now working on the second book in the series, Catching Fire. So far, it's starting out rather slow, but hopefully, it'll get better as I go along.
Phil Johnson

Post by Phil Johnson »

I'll definitely have to pick this one up. Artist bios that cover the good and the bad are always useful educational opportunities. :)
dvdjunkie wrote:For the second time I have just finished reading Beyond the Garage the self-penned autobiography of Sean Bonniwell of The Music Machine, the proto-typical garage band of the 60's. This book is a real eye-opener for those who think life in a rock and roll band is a bed of roses, it isn't. I truly am in total respect for Mr. Bonniwell's honesty and open book into his life. Thank God he survived and at the ripe old age of 70 is still rocking today. If you want to know more about this book and the library of music that is available you can go to:

www.bonniwellmusicmachine.com

:D