2006 Disney Catalogue DVDs (with film descriptions)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The Monkey's Uncle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Monkey's Uncle »

yippee!!!!!!!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

The first post has been updated with Disney's synopses for the 4 May catalogue debuts.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

2005 DVD Releases

Post by Disney Guru »

I am so excited for so many of these awesome catalogue titles this is deffinately going to be a great year for Disney DVD.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
The Monkey's Uncle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Monkey's Uncle »

a bad year for my wallet.
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

The Monkey's Uncle wrote:a bad year for my wallet.
I know what you mean. I'm gonna need to find a part-time job on top of being a full-time student just to support my Disney DVD-buying addiction.
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

lol

Post by Disney Guru »

The Monkey's Uncle wrote:a bad year for my wallet.

HaHa, a bad year for my wallet also.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
copperchair

Post by copperchair »

I only wish Disney finally released the 1978 animated short "The Small One" on Region 1 DVD, which is already available on Region 2 and Region 4 in the "Countdown To Christmas" DVD. It is my all-time favorite animated Disney story!

Here is a link for the petition for Disney to release "The Small One" on DVD:

http://www.petitiononline.com/f76v70o0/petition.html
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I'm bumping this thread as two of the upcoming live action DVDs are now reviewed:

Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. (1966)
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/ltrobincrusoe.html

The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin (1967)
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/bullwhip.html
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
betorh
Limited Issue

Post by betorh »

thanks for the info
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

It was very disappointing to see that one of my favorite Disney Live-action films was released in 1.33:1 aspect ratio only... That Darn Cat!

:(

I really wish Disney would stop doing this to us! Since these movies are older, the audience is really the people who grew up watching them, instead of today's kids, rendering any "family friendly" aspect ratio pointless...
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

i don't know, i don't remember watching any of ths films.............wich ones do u reconmend me? :? :? :?
Poppins#1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Poppins#1 »

"August's batch of live action catalogue titles have come in and seem to bear mostly good news. Three of the four Disney DVD debuts boast bonus features, and a different three appear to be presented in their original aspect ratios. You can expect our usual thorough, analytical reviews of Johnny Tremain, Toby Tyler, The Boatniks, and The World's Greatest Athlete in the weeks to come, but for the time being, the 2005 Catalogue DVDs thread has been updated with all confirmed specs and extras. "

This is what is posted on the main page for July 22nd. I'm a little confused by "a different three appear to be in their original aspect ratios" Okay, Johnny Tremain was originally intended for TV so full frame is probably correct. World's Greatest athlete is 1.85:1 also correct. But what's the third? Toby Tyler and The Boatniks are both full frame and were theatrical movies. The suspense is killing me.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Bumping this thread on account of the fact that today, four new catalogue DVDs are released by Disney, in what appears to be the last batch of the year. Reviews have already been posted for three of them:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/johnnytremain.html
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/tobytyler.html
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/boatniks.html

and one of <i>The World's Greatest Athlete</i> should be done by today or tomorrow. Briefly, this 1973 comedy does get a little silly, but it offers a far better time than The Boatniks, and the anamorphic widescreen transfer is highly pleasing. The extras (outtakes and trailers) are in the exact same vein as The Boatniks', but the 'silent' outtakes reel is mildly more interesting here.

If you decide to buy these catalogue DVDs, you're wholeheartedly encouraged to do so through UD's "Buy" links in the first post or on this page:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/comingsoon.html

People continuing to do this is the only way this site can continue in its current form and provide the level of coverage you have come to expect.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Bumping thread to make note of four new titles apparently on the schedule for next January.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Well I'm not that bothered about Devil, Benji and Wild Hearts since they're all available here in the UK in widescreen already, but "My Dog The Thief" is another matter!

It's good to see another classic TV movie heading for DVD. I feared after "Hans Brinker" that maybe we had seen the last of the TV movies of that era. But this will at some point be a addition to my collection.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

ichabod wrote:Well I'm not that bothered about Devil, Benji and Wild Hearts since they're all available here in the UK in widescreen already, but "My Dog The Thief" is another matter!
I'm hoping <i>Devil</i> will at least be widescreen, but I have very little hope that <i>Benji</i> and <i>Wild Hearts</i> won't be the same barebones reformatted fullscreen discs released to the Disney Movie Club. At least they won't screw up <i>My Dog The Thief</i>'s aspect ratio! It does seem like somewhat of an odd choice to release before other TV movies with more notoriety, but <i>Hans Brinker</i> was too, I suppose.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Luke wrote:Bumping thread to make note of four new titles apparently on the schedule for next January.
I can't exactly say I'm excited about the January catalogues.

Lukester, how much do I have to pay to have you announce that Kidnapped (in R1), The Shaggy Dog, and Ten Who Dared are coming to DVD?

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

Well you can probably bet your life that they'll release the two Shaggy Dog dvd's either when the Tim Allen version is released in theaters or when that version is released on DVD.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Lucylover1986 wrote:Well you can probably bet your life that they'll release the two Shaggy Dog dvd's either when the Tim Allen version is released in theaters or when that version is released on DVD.
Yep and with Tommy Kirk commentary on 50% of them, and Dick Van Patten on the other half! :up: If they're coming in March, then it won't be TOO much longer until we hear about them. I've really quite been looking forward to seeing and owning both films. They certainly seem to be the two biggest live action Disney films NOT available on the format yet.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the Scott Weinger version anytime soon, though.

But Escapay, what's so special about <i>Ten Who Dared</i>? From all accounts I've heard, it's one of the worst Disney movies ever made! Are you buying it for the laughs? ;)
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Luke wrote: But Escapay, what's so special about <i>Ten Who Dared</i>? From all accounts I've heard, it's one of the worst Disney movies ever made! Are you buying it for the laughs? ;)
I've got a soft spot for bad Disney movies, lol. I even enjoyed The Boatniks!

Maybe we'll get lucky, and for Shaggy Dog, they'll decide to make it a two-movie collection with the Scott Weinger remake.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?