The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
PixarFan
Gold Classic Collection

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Post by PixarFan »

Source Claims Prince Caspian Greenlit

According to a source at Disney who requested anonymity Prince Caspian, the second story in the Chronicles of Narnia, has been greenlit for a December 2007 theatrical release. Disney was hoping for a $60 million opening weekend for The Lion, the , and the Wardrobe and since the film’s opening exceeded their expectation they are moving forward.

Don’t expect an official announcement until later in the week or possibly as late as January. Adamson hasn’t decided whether he will direct the new film, but most think he will be back. The script is very nearly finished, and the general feeling is that with a lot of the tech in place for the picture (e.g. Aslan) they could start the shoot on New Zealand’s South Island as early as this summer.
The article can be found here.

Well...that didn't take long. I loved Narnia, but half of me is a bit uncertain about this sequel. The other half is excited! Hopefully this means more of the books will be made into movies.

December 2007 suddenly seems so far away. I hope this is as good as the first one!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Very exciting on two fronts... (A) they are moving on into the series and (B) they're doing Prince Caspian next, although I expected both anyways. Sadly, despite it being one of my most anticipated movies in years, I haven't gotten to see it yet because I'm in the middle of finals and none of my friends will see it with me. :(

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Hardly a surprise, but good to hear nonetheless.

I have to wait until Boxing Day (day after Christmas in "The Colonies") to see LWW, but am very much looking forward to it. Sure, it could be another 'big battle sequence with lots of magic film', but having read the books, I hope for something more. Besides, I'm not completely jaded with the genre...YET.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Nice to see they're going by the original publishing order as opposed to the new chronological order (in which The Horse and His Boy would have been the next book).

So if they keep the two year gap, then we'll likely see Voyage of the Dawn Treader in December 2009? Followed by The Silver Chair in December 2011, The Horse and His Boy in December 2013, The Magician's Nephew in 2015, and The Last Battle in 2017...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
isaac15
Limited Issue

Post by isaac15 »

i kind of think Narnia is lame. everbody thinks it is like a lord of the rings and it is not. the story is way to simple and bored i think we seening the story so much. kids go in a magic land and save the world. not very clever. i guess if i was 10 years old i might like it. i read the book once. it was not bad but it was not very good.
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

AwallaceUNC wrote:Very exciting on two fronts... (A) they are moving on into the series and (B) they're doing Prince Caspian next, although I expected both anyways. Sadly, despite it being one of my most anticipated movies in years, I haven't gotten to see it yet because I'm in the middle of finals and none of my friends will see it with me. :(

-Aaron
We're in the same boat. No one wants to see it with me...or King Kong. :(
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
Kenai
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Kenai »

Sweet! :D I loved the movie a lot. But how come they're not going in order? Isn't the Magicians Nephew supposed to be next in the chronological order?

Anyway, once again, Narnia was awesome, saw it twice, and that's for me in a movie.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Kenai wrote:Sweet! :D I loved the movie a lot. But how come they're not going in order? Isn't the Magicians Nephew supposed to be next in the chronological order?
There are two different orders for the books: The publishing order, and the chronological order.

The Publishing Order:
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (1950)
Prince Caspian (1951)
Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)
The Silver Chair (1953)
The Horse and His Boy (1954)
The Magician's Nephew (1955)
The Last Battle (1956)

The Chronological Order: (Real Time/Narnia Time)
The Magician's Nephew (1900/Narnia Begins)
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (1940/Winter Ends after 100 Years?)
The Horse and His Boy (within TLTWATW)
Prince Caspian (1941/1000 Years Later)
Voyage of the Dawn Treader (date?/Several Years Later)
The Silver Chair (date?/Many Years Later)
The Last Battle (date?/Many Years Later)

Many prefer the publishing order, as that's the order they were written, though others prefer the chronological order . I think first-time readers should go by publishing order, then for re-reads they can do chronological order.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
I am the Doctor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by I am the Doctor »

No surprise that they are doing Caspian next. If they did Magician's Newphew or Horse and His Boy next, the current children playing the Pevensies would be too old for their parts when they finally did get around to filming Caspian.

So you can expect, looking forward after Caspian, that Dawn Treader and Silver Chair would be the next two films for the exact same reason. One nice touch: by keeping a two-year window between the films, the current children playing the Pevensies (and eventually Eustace and Jill from DT and SC) might just be old enough by 2017 to play their parts in the Last Battle, since at that point the Pevensies are supposed to be in their late teens/early 20s.

Good to hear that the sequel is a go, it will be one of my most anticipated movies of 2007.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Ive only read LWW, so I was wondering, are the kids only in LWW and Prince Caspian? They don't appear in the other books?
PixarFan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PixarFan »

The main four kids are in TL,TW,aTW and Prince Caspian. All four are also in The Horse and His Boy, but it takes place during TL,TW,aTW, while they are grown up and kings and of Narnia. Then Lucy and Edmund are in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, along with their cousin Eustace. Then Eustace goes to Narnia again with Jill, a friend of his, in The Silver Chair. Finally, in the Last Battle, all the children return, although the original four have grown up. And The Magician's Nephew has two other kids, Digory and Polly, but that takes place 40 years before TL,TW,aTW.

Wow...I hope I got all that right.
I am the Doctor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by I am the Doctor »

PixarFan wrote
The main four kids are in TL,TW,aTW and Prince Caspian. All four are also in The Horse and His Boy, but it takes place during TL,TW,aTW, while they are grown up and kings and of Narnia. Then Lucy and Edmund are in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, along with their cousin Eustace. Then Eustace goes to Narnia again with Jill, a friend of his, in The Silver Chair. Finally, in the Last Battle, all the children return, although the original four have grown up. And The Magician's Nephew has two other kids, Digory and Polly, but that takes place 40 years before TL,TW,aTW.

Pretty darn close. Only items worth noting: Peter doesn't actually appear in Horse and His Boy. He's mentioned in the story-he's fighting giants on the northern border of Narnia and the story takes place in the southern part of the Narnian world. Susan doesn't appear in The Last Battle-but once again is mentioned by the other children. And Digory and Polly also appear in Last Battle as well.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Prince Caspian Seems Certain
The Pevensies return to Narnia.
by Paul Davidson

January 6, 2006 - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is enjoying a fantastic theatrical run and proving to be even more popular than its competition – notably Peter Jackson's King Kong remake. If there was any question about a sequel before, it's pretty much been answered.

Word is that Prince Caspian, the next logical story in the series, has been given approval. The story takes the four Pevensie children back to Narnia, summoned by Queen Susan's horn centuries after Narnia was freed from the White Witch's spell.

NarniaWeb claims to have inside information that Douglas Gresham, co-producer of LWW and stepson to the late C.S. Lewis, is already at work on the next film. Another website, Dark Horizons, quotes an official Walden Media message board post as confirming that the four young actors and actresses have all signed onto Prince Caspian, and Andrew Adamson has agreed to direct again. Adamson has strongly hinted at returning for the next sequel or two, but given no firm commitment to Prince Caspian in public.

The clock is running, due to the necessity of making the next few films while the children are still young. Expect to see more official announcements in the coming weeks, and an expedited production schedule.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information was posted at IGN.com at the following link:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/679/679421p1.html
MinnieMe
Special Edition

Post by MinnieMe »

Thanks for posting this!! I assumed a sequel was coming (esp with the success Narnia has shown at the box office).

I agree- they need to get on this. The quicker the release, the better it will do (IMO). :)

I just hope they are in line w/ the Harry Potter movies- keep the same cast. I assume that they will! :D
jwa1107
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jwa1107 »

PixarFan wrote:The main four kids are in TL,TW,aTW and Prince Caspian. All four are also in The Horse and His Boy, but it takes place during TL,TW,aTW, while they are grown up and kings and of Narnia. Then Lucy and Edmund are in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, along with their cousin Eustace. Then Eustace goes to Narnia again with Jill, a friend of his, in The Silver Chair. Finally, in the Last Battle, all the children return, although the original four have grown up. And The Magician's Nephew has two other kids, Digory and Polly, but that takes place 40 years before TL,TW,aTW.

and you meet a grown up Digory in TLTWTW
although you may not know it
as he is called Professor Kirk

thus why he was looking for a way into Narnia through the Wardrobe when the film's credits are rolling
Spongebob Squarepants
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Spongebob Squarepants »

I can't wait! Prince Caspian was just as good as The Lion,The Witch,and The Wardrobe! :D
"That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus,and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved"-Romans 10:9.
yankees
Gold Classic Collection

Post by yankees »

YES!!!! :D

I am so excited....if this comes out for 07 it would be a great year for disney Pirates 3 and Narnia 2 :D !!!

It was a very good book I was just a lil dissapointed with the ending though

I am currently readin Dawn Treader and that is so far my favorite book out of the series
________
NEW MEXICO MEDICAL MARIJUANA
Last edited by yankees on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

Here's a little more information, taken from MovieWeb.com:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/36/10436.php

According to Variety, having grossed nearly $530 million worldwide, not only has The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe become a surprise hit, it has also outearned King Kong by almost $70 million.

The success of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the first published in the C.S. Lewis series but second chronologically, is spurring plans for a sequel based on the next title, Prince Caspian. Granat said work on a script is under way, with plans to tap a director within a few weeks.

"We're planning on starting production by the fourth quarter of next year," Granat said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main interest of this article being that they plan on starting production (I am assuming the filming aspect), by fourth quarter of next year. The article was posted on January 10th. I wonder if they mean fourth quarter of 2006? If it is fourth quarter of 2007, that would seem to be too long of a wait.
yankees
Gold Classic Collection

Post by yankees »

i think that the film will come out in December of 07

If thats true 07 is gonna be a huge year for movies
Pirtes of The Carribbean 3
Narnia 2
Harry Potter 5
Spiderman 3
Shrek 3
________
New Jersey Dispensary
Last edited by yankees on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

More future Chronicles plans:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060424i.php

Ambitious "Narnia" Trilogy Plans
Posted: Monday April 24th, 2006 6:58pm
Source: Narnia Web
Author: Garth Franklin

Entertainment Weekly this week published an article outlining Walden Media's plans for the future of "The Chronicles of Narnia" series of films and its surprising what's in store.

First up, its certain that the fourth book "Prince Caspian" will be the next adventure. Despite its shorter length than 'Wardrobe', there's no plans to fuse elements from the other novels into it. Producer Mark Johnson confirms that adapting the story is proving tougher than 'Wardrobe' and it now looks like the film could be pushed back a year to Xmas 2008 due to visual effects demands.

The fifth and sixth books, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and "The Silver Chair", will be done next with the studio planning to use Caspian and these two as "an interlocking trilogy that will be shot in that order".

What about the other three books though? No word on if the studio plans to do any of them, though most likely the first novel "The Magician's Nephew" will be the first post-trilogy project.

Pushed back to 2008?!?!?????? Oh No!
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN