Chow Yun-Fat in talks for "Pirates" 2 and 3

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Luke
Site Admin

Chow Yun-Fat in talks for "Pirates" 2 and 3

Post by Luke »

(AP) Hong Kong action hero Chow Yun-fat is set to star in the upcoming sequels of box office smash "Pirates of the Caribbean", a press report said.

Citing Chow's wife, Jasmin Chan Wui-nin, Chinese-language newspaper Apple Daily said Chow will play the famous 15th century Chinese pirate Cheung Po Tsai for the second and third instalments of the film.

Chow will team up with members of the original cast including heart-throb Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Geoffrey Rush and Keira Knightley.

Rolling Stone legend Keith Richards will also play the father of Depp's character, Captain Jack Sparrow.

Chan said both the movie's producer and director contacted Chow's management company in the US two months ago and Director Gore Verbinski flew to Hong Kong last week to discuss the screenplay with Chow, the daily reported.

"The director was very sincere about it and specially flew to Hong Kong and discuss the script with Fat Gor (Chow's nickname) ... but we cannot talk about the details until we sign the contract," Chan was quoted as saying.

Chow made his name as a gun-toting hero in Hong Kong action filmmaker John Woo's classics "Hard-Boiled" and "A Better Tomorrow". His Hollywood movies include "Anna and the King" and "Bulletproof Monk".

Story here:
http://www.magicalmountain.net/WDWNewsD ... NewsID=600

Hmm. Thoughts? Wasn't Salma Hayek also rumored to be a part of the sequels at some point?

<b>Deleted reply</b>:
<hr>
<b>2099net</b> wrote:
Well my comment isn't about Chow Yun-Fat (sorry) but just a comment in general.
Rolling Stone legend Keith Richards will also play the father of Depp's character, Captain Jack Sparrow.
:rolleyes: Looks like they're intent on ruining the only good thing about the first film by running the "joke"/concept into the ground.

I assume Richards will be a complex animatronic. I'd be surprised if the real Keith Richards will be able to emote and move at the same time. :D
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

First off, it looks like they are hiring new actors for more than one seuqel, which points to the Matrix approach - telling one story through two sequels. I think that's a bad direction. They should have each sequel tell its own story (and don't bring Barbosa back, get a new villian).

I think the Keith Richards thing is cool idea, but I hope they don't make him a prominent character. It should be kept to a minor encounter or something, preferably in the 3rd one.
Christian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Christian »

Yes, they need to keep the three movies separate. I don't want to end up with a Matrix-like situation either where, in effect, they say, "So you liked that first movie? Great! We'll just slap together a couple more for you."
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Rupert Boneham of Survivor fame is gonna have a pirate cameo in PotC2
Tascar
Limited Issue

Post by Tascar »

I didn't mind the whole one plot two movies idea that the Matrix sequels used. It's just that with the Matrix sequels, there was so much garbage in each of the films that you could have easily put the two together into one leaner and better movie. With the three Lord of the Rings films, at least there is enough material and story to justify three movies. Let's hope PoTC 2 and 3 are done well, if indeed this is the approach the filmmakers are taking.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Jack wrote:First off, it looks like they are hiring new actors for more than one seuqel, which points to the Matrix approach - telling one story through two sequels. I think that's a bad direction. They should have each sequel tell its own story (and don't bring Barbosa back, get a new villian).
Yes, anything that follows any approach taken by the Matrix sequels falls under the heading:

A Bad Idea
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter