Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

It wasn't that great. It was good, but it wasn't probably as good as this is going to be. (It was included on both the Masterpiece VHS, fully restored edition from August 1997, and the DVD Gold Collection edition as mentioned above. I've seen it many times, and alltough it was good, it was way too short and a little too nostalgic, never focusing on any actual behind the scenes stuff....just back story on PL Travers and stuff about Walt and Julie and how great they are...Which They Are...but that's all it was really about.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

But it had footage of Julie, Dick, Walt, and Leonard that isn't in this new version! I would have included it if there were space, but as I said in the review, the new documentary does blow it away.
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

I know! I'm pretty bummed out about that too...I'm glad I kept my Gold Collection Edition. (And my Masterpiece Edition...It was my first Disney DVD...it has a nostalgic glow to it...)
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

Masterpiece DVDs? watch out, rebel lions tend to hunt for those :)

That1GuyPictures you mentioned earlier the Archive 1.66 Laserdisc had more image than the 1.85 dvd, have you compared that to the new one?

About screen grabs, do you have a video input card? on your editing suite/lab? maybe that's an alternate way to get high quality caps (that's what I use btw)
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

deathie mouse wrote:Masterpiece DVDs? watch out, rebel lions tend to hunt for those :)

That1GuyPictures you mentioned earlier the Archive 1.66 Laserdisc had more image than the 1.85 dvd, have you compared that to the new one?

About screen grabs, do you have a video input card? on your editing suite/lab? maybe that's an alternate way to get high quality caps (that's what I use btw)
The picture opens up farther to the top and bottom, but since I no longer have the laserdisc, (I sold my discs and player on ebay in 2001...) I only could compare when I had both.
I clearly remember though when I had them that the color quality was better on the archive laserdisc (The color quality...flesh tones were better and brighter, but limited to what laserdisc could achieve.) However it was riddled with film artifacts, and even tore in a couple places. But the transfer itself was a lot taller on top and on bottom and seemed to be in fact just like the 1.85:1 only with more picture on top and bottom. I'm almost 100% positive that the image was 1.75:1 and that the new transfer is a 1.66:1 pan and scan of the 1.75:1 image so that the most important parts of the picture is always centered. If you'll look at some of the screencaps Luke took and compare them to the 1.85:1 dvd, sometimes there is more picture on the left cut off, and sometimes, more on the right.
I think they actually found whatever part of the picture was the most important, and then shifted the whole image slightly right or left, matting it on both sides so it wouldn't result in shifting matte lines. The more I think about it, it acutally sounds like a really good idea. That way the most important part of the picture is always inside the overscan area and you only lose the less important sides of the picture. (Which would have been lost anyways to overscan.) I think I still would have prefered an 1.75:1 transfer, but this is just as OK with me. Because in fact the techs at Disney seem to have determined the most important elements to keep inside the overscan lines. Besides, every movie always loses a little bit of picture. At least they were extra careful with this one.
I'm almost 100% positive that that's what happened.)
WOW! DEATHIE My posts are getting almost as long as yours!
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

This could be the start of a trend!

;)

But i've seriously given thought to your post and i find that I agree about 100% with it to the point of refining my post and rephrasing some parts to be clearer and they are in agreement (a 1.75 panscan/crop of the 1.85 aspect ratio Aperture (what i say) is the same thing as a 1.66 panscan /crop of the 1.75 aspect ratio Aperture (what you say) cus the 1.85 Aperture resides inside the 1.75 Aperture!)

Well there you go. :)

So mmm write longer posts!!
Jeremy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jeremy »

I liked those extras in Poppins-DVD. Especially enjoyed that part where Julie and Dick met again and sung some tunes together. Other extras wasn't that phenomenal but well worth to watch. Not my favourite Disney film, but nice to own this too (I already own the older DVD-version).