Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jordan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jordan »

Luke wrote:
Jordan wrote:Finding Nemo is not a Disney DVD. It's a Pixar movie, so cannot compare. As for Pirates of the Caribbean, it's not an classic animtated feature, so cannot be compared etiher.
It might not have the Disney DVD logo on it, but it's distributed and marketed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.
Of course but none of the Pixar movie DVDs have a slipcover so that's normal. On the other hand, almost ALL the 2-Disc Special Editions Disney animated features have one. That's was my point.
Chandler (to Phoebe, over the phone) : Listen, Joey isn't gonna be here tonight so why don't you come over and I'll let you uh.. feel my bicep; or maybe more...
Friends, 5.14 - The One Where Everybody Finds Out
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

"A Bug's Life" doesn't open like a book either - although it has a nice shiny effect. :)
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

Well now we've just gotten completely off topic,
I thought we were talking about a MARY POPPINS Dvd here!

I checked out the following link at Amazon.com/music and it definatly lists
a "Bonus DVD" it may be just a typo or something, but still worth the raise of an eyebrow?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... eimprovemz

Disney sure isn't as good at marketing it's music releases as it was a few years ago. In fact they hardly advertise for anything at all except those awful teeny-bopper Hilary Duff meets Raven (Blaghhh....Yuck, she still leaves a funny taste in my mouth)...
This is a prestigious release?

Maybe the first disc is the soundtrack, and the second disc has VIDEO extened interviews...Does anyone have any more information on this?

Let's stick to Mary Poppins...We all know which of the Disney DVD cases do and don't have slipcovers, and we all know what they look like, becuase we all proabably bought each and every one of them, or at least looked at one in the store for a while.
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Another week with no Mary Poppins announcements.
I'm so sad. It's one of the most important DVD releases
I'll probably ever buy from Disney, and they won't even
throw me a marketing bone.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well.
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Hi all,

Randy Thornton of Walt Disney Records was kind enough to post the new track listing for the Mary Poppins Special Edition Soundtrack at this link:

http://www.magicmusic.net/discuss/index ... eadid=1739

"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Thanks for that info! The soundtrack sounds awesome!
I can't wait! I hope it sounds better than the last release.
The sound on it was ok, but not as good as I think it could have sounded.
The soundtrack for the Happiest Millionaire had cleaner sound.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Oh wow, thanks for the link, Chris!

I'm really looking forward to the soundtrack, especially

27. Mr. Banks Is Discharged (4:46) †

Please, please, please, let this be the music played as Mr. Banks walks past the cathedral where the Bird Woman usually is. It's such a beautiful rendition of Feed the Birds...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Sorry, I never got round to commenting on it when the press release was first posted, so I'll do it now. This DVD looks wonderful. I can't wait to get it...
DisneyFan4life

Post by DisneyFan4life »

~*Jessica*~ wrote:Mary Poppins is probably my favorite Disney movie, so I'm really excited right now. December can't come fast enough!!!!
I agree. Mary Poppins by far is my favorite Disney film. Even after seeing it for the first time almost 2 decades ago I still think it one of my favorite films Disney has ever put out. Great Family Fun for years to come.
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Hey Folks!

For those of you interested in the new Special Edition Soundtrack being released next week, Amazon has put up the sound clips from the new tracks and they sound very exciting! They are really fun to listen to the new mixes on the additional tracks from the score.

Here is the link to the sound clips:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redir ... %3Dsamples
"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Thanks for letting us know about the CD tracks at Amazon!
That CD sounds exciting! I already ordered mine weeks ago, but now I'm getting really excited about it! The movie is still the main thing I'm looking forward to though!
So many other great movies are coming out!
DisneyFan4life

Post by DisneyFan4life »

Oh "Mr. Banks is discharged" is so sad just listening to it at Amazon.com. It is where he is walking through London. I think it is one of my favorite tracks on the new CD. I can't wait to get it.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Chris wrote:Hi all,

Randy Thornton of Walt Disney Records was kind enough to post the new track listing for the Mary Poppins Special Edition Soundtrack at this link:

http://www.magicmusic.net/discuss/index ... eadid=1739

Biggety bump

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DisneyFan4life

New CD is great!

Post by DisneyFan4life »

The music is so wonderful. I highly recommand people who love Mary Poppins to get it. The music is great and well done. Beautiful pictures as well in the case. They did a great job! Enjoy. :)
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

The Disney Channel to air Mary Poppins:

(Variety) - NEW YORK -- The Disney Channel will dust off Walt Disney's classic tuner "Mary Poppins" for a one-time only presentation the day after Christmas at 8 p.m.
The channel has not aired "Poppins" in the last few years. This broadcast will come on the heels of the film's Dec. 14 release on two-disc DVD. It also coincides with a new staging of the musical in London.

(I wonder if they will show the old copy they had been showing for ages or show a newer print?)
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

The New Cover Art and A New Website from Disney Home Video is now up at the following link!

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/livea ... /home.html

and here's a look at the back of the region 2 artwork for the set...

Last edited by That1GuyPictures on Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

FIRST R1 DVD REVIEW OF MARY POPPINS UP NOW!

The first two reviews that I (and 2099 net)
can find of a R1 copy of Mary Poppins are
now available at the following links.

http://dvdtown.com/review/marypoppins40 ... ee9de89298

http://www.dvdmg.com/marypoppinsse.shtml

Evidently the reviewers like the movie itself,
but are not as pleased as we might have expected about the new DVD incarnations.

Both have mentioned being displeased with the enhanced home theatre mix, and both have mentioned completlely different sound track inclusions. One mentions that the Original 2.0 Stereo Track is included, and one mentions that the 5.1 mix from the original Mary Poppins DVD's are included here. One says he can't tell the difference between the two. As far as picture goes they both also complain about edge enhancement and haloing and softness. (These three things don't usually go hand and hand.) There is also some mention of grain which is quite possible.
Sounds like there might be room for more improvement for the next HD-DVD release.

They mention that the picture is better than the last DVD's, but neither one of them seem to be aware that a restoration was done for this DVD print, and I don't think they even know the picture has been touched up by Lowry Digital.
(Which may be a VERY bad thing...)

However, both reviews give high praise for the bonus features and
one reviewer mentions the slipcover is made of a metallic foil material.
Sounds cool to me!!! (Although it's kind of what I pictured anyway...) :D

Hopefully these reviewers don't know what they are talking about,
and that it's still as great as I'm hoping for!

Check it out while you wait for December 14th to roll around!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I've just posted my review of this set:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/marypoppins.html
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

Yay!!!! Thank you, Luke!! I've been awaiting your review.
At first glance, the screen captures you included look gorgeous compared to the last DVD print. A definite improvement.

I'm off to read the review now. Thanks!

:pink: :pink: :pink: :float: :party:

WONDERFUL review, Luke! Very well done!! A joy to read and very informative. I especially enjoyed your thoughts and comments about the film itself and it's appeal. Beautifully said! :) :) :)

It has me anticipating the DVD more than ever now. I think I just may freak out. :o You have to be careful about letting loose all this great information about the new release to a Poppins fan like me. I feel like I'm gonna get over excited! Can I make it until next week? or the bigger question is - will I lose it once I actually have the thing in my hands? :lol:

Okay, back to my rooftop dancing.

:D
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Finally

Post by Disney Guru »

I didn't buy the Gold Collection DVD of this title because I borrowed my brothers copy of it. And I thought ick. And I was hoping and praying that a 2 disc set would come out and now it is and I am going to get it. And I have a ton of stuff on my must buy list so I need to start shopping.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~