Platinum Lineup Info

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Platinum Lineup Info

Post by The Little Merman »

I recently emailed disney with a question about The Little Mermaid platinum and here is the email which contains the OFFICIAL line up!!.....

The Little Mermaid will be released as part of our Platinum Collection, however, it is unavailable at this time. A re-release date has not been set. Here is an official list of our Platinum Collection titles.
Aladdin (released)
Bambi (March 2005)
Beauty and the Beast (released)
Cinderella (October 2005)
The Jungle Book (no date scheduled)
Lady and the Tramp (no date scheduled)
The Lion King (released)
The Little Mermaid (no date scheduled)
Sleeping Beauty (no date scheduled)
Pinocchio (no date scheduled)
Peter Pan (no date scheduled)
Fantasia/Fantasias 2000 (no date scheduled)
Snow White (released)
101 Dalmatians (no date scheduled)
Mushu2083
Special Edition

Post by Mushu2083 »

Whoo-hoo! :D I wonder what else they could put in Sleeping Beauty in the special features though. Yay for Lady and the Tramp! SWEET! :)
Dragon, not lizard. I don't do that tongue thing.

Lilo: I'm not touching you!
Stitch: TOUCHING ME!
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Well, I hope that puts to rest some of the naysayers who keep saying that Pinocchio, Fantasia, Peter Pan, and Sleeping Beauty weren't really added to the Platinum collection when they were. Disappointing that Disney didn't put them in order, though (probably because they don't even know the order themselves after 2005).
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Sleeping Beauty won't be Platinum. The others will. And Fantasia 2000?! What the hell? The film was good, but not that good...
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

This doesn't really tell us anything new; in fact it tells us less than we already know. But it's always nice to get information straight from the horse's mouth.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I wonder what the chances are of one of added titles being released before all 10 of the originals are out?

I still have some doubts over the future of SB, but I guess this really chizels away at them. However, I think if it's Platinumized, it'll be the last to do so.

I want 4 Platinums a year!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Just Myself wrote:Sleeping Beauty won't be Platinum. The others will.
Then why is it on the list? I still think this will go Platinum, but like Aaron said, this will more than likely be the very last one released before Disney starts the series over again for HD.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Sleeping Beauty IS going to be a PLATINUM. Disney made an official announcement when they added fantasia, pinocchio and peter pan to the list
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:Sleeping Beauty IS going to be a PLATINUM. Disney made an official announcement when they added fantasia, pinocchio and peter pan to the list
I remember it well. May 1, 2003! You told me about it, if I'm not mistaken!
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Luke wrote:
MickeyMouseboy wrote:Sleeping Beauty IS going to be a PLATINUM. Disney made an official announcement when they added fantasia, pinocchio and peter pan to the list
I remember it well. May 1, 2003! You told me about it, if I'm not mistaken!

hehe yeah I remember that wonderful day! We made on animatedmovies.com as exclusive news from us! hehe
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

i know it must be a typo (i'm an expert on those :P) but who hoo we're getting a new version: Fantasias 2000
2000 Fantasies!

:P

Sleeping Beauty would get the most improvement in resolution from a Blue-Ray DVD version (at least about 7x versus about 4x for Fantasia/Pinocchio/Peter Pan from the nebulous four), so i still think it will be a simultaneous DVD/BlueDVD release around the end of times :P

But since Fantasia is my favorite Disney film I would really like it to be the first Disney BlueDVD tho. To bring full circle it being my first Disney (blue boxed) Laserdisc and my first Disney (blue anthology boxed) DVD 8) in an incredibly cool designers blue sorcerers hat shaped shiny gift set thingie! :D (with bookie drawings senitype zebras the works!)

I really would go crazy if 5 years from now it's released again only in plain old dvd (platinum or no platinum) and then we'd had to wait another 5 -10 years more for it to go from moratorium to BlueDVD :shock:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Everyone's assuming a Platinum release of Sleeping Beauty will have added content. Which is not really true.

When Snow White is rereleased, will it have added content? Especially if (as if looking likely) it's not a HD-DVD exclusive?

Sleeping Beauty could be a re-release with just different branding.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

...which could mean that the word "Platinum" does really mean all that much. Platinum or not, getting a good 2-disc edition is the important thing.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

But the question is, if it's exactly the same release, just with new packaging and a Platinum banner, would you buy it?

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

If it was just new packaging, I would not rebuy SB. However, those who have yet to pick it up might do so. That is the whole philosophy of rereleasing movies on VHS with different covers, isn't it?

I am really excited to see Pinocchio and Peter Pan get Platinum treatment, even though it means I am double dipping on Peter Pan.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
DisneyChris
Special Edition

Post by DisneyChris »

Just Myself wrote:And Fantasia 2000?! What the hell? The film was good, but not that good...
See, I was right all along (http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5145). I was right all along!!! :twisted:

Although I don't know if 2099net's prediction of it being a "re-release of the previously released disc" is correct.... :roll:
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

2099net wrote:Everyone's assuming a Platinum release of Sleeping Beauty will have added content. Which is not really true.

When Snow White is rereleased, will it have added content? Especially if (as if looking likely) it's not a HD-DVD exclusive?

Sleeping Beauty could be a re-release with just different branding.
I've never said that the Platinum Sleeping Beauty will have added content. I simply said that it'll be re-released as a Platinum because people keep saying it won't be despite the fact that we're being told it is straight from Disney (twice). Really, there's hardly any way to improve upon the already great SE except to maybe make a new in-depth documentary (since the SE didn't provide a whole lot in the way of retrospective "making of").
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

well there was a missing trailer and a missing DTS. and the making off was shortened so I think some improvement can be made. Take out the Foolscreen version. Use the 65MM prints instead of the 35MM which cut some of the frame off and has the ugly flickering thru out the movie.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

What trailer was missing? Also, are you sure the "making of" is shortened? It's exactly the same one that's on my Masterpiece Collection VHS from 1997. Did the laserdisc have a longer one?
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Disneykid wrote:What trailer was missing? Also, are you sure the "making of" is shortened? It's exactly the same one that's on my Masterpiece Collection VHS from 1997. Did the laserdisc have a longer one?
The Sleeping Beauty Masterpiece Edition Limited Widescreen Edition had the Mickey Mouse Club sleeping beauty episode that didnt make onto the DVD. R2 has a trailer we didnt get I think it was the 80's re-release trailer that was missing. You can tell the making of was shortened cause they had snipplets on other things. Also they can make grand canyon scope anamorphic and digitally enhance it and put it in front of the feature film..... also the true 2.35:1 version of sleeping beauty mastered from the 65MM prints not the cut up version 2:35:1 from the 35MM zoomed in prints. And I think they could do a much better 5.1 mix and add the DTS track. Oh yeah! put the full running time of the storyboard comparisons and the WS to FS comparisons. A Documentary on how the movie did in 1959, it's evolvement with the roadshow and the publicity. Disneyland's SB castle. The Original castillian soundtrack. A complete collection of posters from around the world. All the Trailers of re-releases for 1959, 1962, 1971, 1980, 1986, 1995. better cover art and they can make a gift set with a senitype replica of the original 2.35:1 frame, sketches and a book. And if they want to go out of their way they can make the set a 3 disc and add the sountrack in SACD or DVD Audio!