[UK] Lion King Artwork at last

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
2099net
Signature Collection

[UK] Lion King Artwork at last

Post by 2099net »

It's the same as the other Lion King artwork for other regions/countries. Sadly no 'more mature' art for the UK release of this disc.

Strangely it appears to be in a keepcase and no mention is made of it being a 'Collectors Edition' - it's only qualifier is 'Special Edition' refering to the additional musical number.

Again, no mention of a 'family friendly' full-screen single disc version. Looks like this will be the first UK 2 disc only release of a Disney animated movie.

Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Re: [UK] Lion King Artwork at last

Post by Prince Adam »

[quote="2099net"]It's the same as the other Lion King artwork for other regions/countries. Sadly no 'more mature' art for the UK release of this disc. [/quote]

Actually, I like this cover art. The only 2 problems are that the title should be at the top, and not in the middle of Simba's neck, and Zazu should be removed and replaced by Nala, or the hyenas.
Defy Gravity...
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

i agree with you 2099net usually there's a collector's edition and a single disc in Europe, and their collector's edition usually have a better case! :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Revised US Artwork

Post by Luke »

Now it's clear that "Special Edition" isn't referring to the new cut of the film - weird that it's both a Special Edition DVD AND Platinum Edition DVD, but it's all petty nomenclature, I suppose.

MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Re: Revised US Artwork

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Luke wrote:Now it's clear that "Special Edition" isn't referring to the new cut of the film - weird that it's both a Special Edition DVD AND Platinum Edition DVD, but it's all petty nomenclature, I suppose.

where did you get that? what region is that from luke?
Luke
Site Admin

Re: Revised US Artwork

Post by Luke »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:where did you get that? what region is that from luke?
Region 1. US. (I put it in the post subject.)

It's from BVHE.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

yeah i just came from bvhe :lol:
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

That's odd. Maybe BVHE thought customers would be disuaded if they thought they weren't getting the original film, and I don't blame them.
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

I'm confused... the R1 Lion King DVD is now being released under seperate 2-disc titles... Platinum AND Special Edition??

:?
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

What I believe is happening is the same thing that happened with Beauty and the Beast. It will have a Platinum Edition banner at the top and a "2-Disc Special Edition" subtitle underneath "The Lion King." The only difference is the addition of "2-Disc."

In addition to what I said earlier about this addition, "2-Disc" seems to catch peoples eyes more, especially collectors, like my cousin, who's not a big Disney fan, but a HUGE DVD collector who was wondering when TLK was making it's DVD debut.
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

aah, thanks for clarifying.
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

you're welcome. :)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for something to be labeled "Platinum Edition" AND "2-Disc Special Edition" - maybe it's just part of their plan to phase out the "Platinum" name. Which is just silly.
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

Disney has always managed to apply an incredible factor of unnecessary confusion to their DVD releases, I dont understand why? If they are phasing out their Platinum collection, which is fine as long as the content remains and is distunguished under one continual title, than they should announce it publicly! It would do more harm to have consumers continuously questioning the title of the product they are contemplating purchasing... :roll:
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Luke wrote:It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense for something to be labeled "Platinum Edition" AND "2-Disc Special Edition" - maybe it's just part of their plan to phase out the "Platinum" name. Which is just silly.
I suppose in the end though it doesn't really matter.
If we are getting pretty much the same content (as with the now deceased Vault Disney becoming the 2-disc SEs), I honestly could not care less.
However, if they phase them out to the extent that they will be one disc sets (like the Sep 2 SEs, which are still pretty good!) then I might start questioning the covers...
Until then, as the ugly say, it's what is INSIDE that counts :P :D
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Choco Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Choco Bear »

how do we know if there phasing out the platinum series cuz i dont think they are but who knows i geuss :?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

If they wanted to highlight its a 2 disc set haven't they used stickers in the past? Also I think "2 disc Platinum Edition" sounds better than "2 disc Special Edition". It's only supposed to be a "special edition" due to the altered film :?

"2 Disc Special Edition" sounds silly in this context. It just doesn't make sense. The only conclusion is they see the release as being "special" due to the number of supplements... but that's what "Platinum" means...

Aaaaaggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

I think they are phasing out Platinum Edition as a brand name. And Luke I don't think it is silly. It was probably having a Platinum Collection brand in the first place. Let's face it, Platinum Edition means nothing to the average guy on the street. "Special Edition" is universally used by DVD studios and thus catches these customers eyes. Disney has to pay more in advertising to get across what a Platinum title means, when Special Edition does the same for nothing.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Just went to BVHE Publicity myself to download the newly reworked art. It seems to have been changed back...or I have a different, un-updated source site than Luke and Gus do.

Let's hope it stays as was, with Platinum referring to the TYPE of relese and Special referring to the new CUT.

Anyway, there you go....
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Slightly off topic - I like the cover art but feel that it's a bit lacking. There's just this big blank space in the left corner - they could probably and should have put another couple characters in there, possibly Murassa's ghost watching over Simba, or a big Nala affectionately looking at the big Simba, or the hyenas next to Scar. Thoughts? I've heard complaints that one of these characters should be there in place of Zazu, but something tells me they're puting him on the cover due to his "starring" in the new Morning Report song sequence.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Jake Lipson wrote:Just went to BVHE Publicity myself to download the newly reworked art. It seems to have been changed back...or I have a different, un-updated source site than Luke and Gus do.

Let's hope it stays as was, with Platinum referring to the TYPE of relese and Special referring to the new CUT.

Anyway, there you go....
Jake, it's from a different BVHE retail site, not the Publicity one.