Disney's Aladdin DVD Press Release (Real One)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lumiere
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Lumiere »

I ma from mexico, I preorder the gift set and it will arrive next week :( , can someone post pictures of the gift set, please :)
Beef ragout
Cheese souffle
Pie and pudding "en flambe"

We'll prepare and serve with flair
A culinary cabaret!!!!
capsule

the book

Post by capsule »

I forgot about the deluxe set so when I found a store selling the DVD a couple weekends ago I went ahead and paid $30 for the regular edition...dumb right? but I got the geek thrill of having something early and being a recovering geek I don't have that often.
Anyway, now I am left wondering if I want the deluxe set too. Is the book a rehash of the Aladdin Making of an Animated film book? That's how the book was handled in the 93 deluxe video edition...or is it an entirely new book? Thanks. Hopefully someone replies soon so I can make my purchase after work :)

Christopher
My Recovering Disney Geek Motto: Don't be a completionist, buy what you love.
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

Post by That1GuyPictures »

I'll try and answer as many questions about the gift set as possible...
I already posted some outside pics of the giftset they should be on this page somewhere (from E-bay)
and then I also don't know about the gift set book and whether it is like the deluxe video edition.
All I know is that it is pretty cool, and refers mostly to the production of this DVD in particular, and comes with a very beautiful story book in the last chapter. Basically I would consider it a 160 page chapter insert with GREAT artwork. That is essentially what it is? Can anyone else explain it better?! And I'm still not sure about that film still. It just looks fake to me. (I just got a Senitype from the film Amadeus and the aspect ratio was 2.35:1 and it wasn't animorphic even though I'm almost 100% positive it was filmed animorphic. Sometimes I wonder if these telecine transfers done by "MASTER FILM TECHS" are really anything more than a print out from a video/telecine machine. Haha.
Oh well any more information about the process of senityping would be great to know for me, and I'm sure for many others.

I hope that I'm helping you guys out. That's the whole reason I joined the forum...to try to dig up new news and use my film knowledge to bring new info to anyone who has an interest in film and animation and especially DVD production, but most of all DISNEY DVD's.

Sincerely,
That 1 Guy
shdwrlm3

Post by shdwrlm3 »

One thing I noticed though, is that I didn't get a coupon book inside the DVD? Did anyone who bought the gift set, not get a coupon book?
Nope, didn't get one either. Is it just the gift sets, or do the stand-alone ones not come with a coupon booklet either?

I'm relatively happy with the gift set. The thing that surprised me the most is that it's actually quite similar in design to the Lion King gift set, so they display rather nicely next to each other. Still, I can't help but feel that it's overpriced (especially if one pays the list price of $49.99) for what you get. The sketches are nice but don't feel all that special, and I would have rather paid extra for a separate, more in-depth book. I'm not really sure what I would want in a gift set, but perhaps a soundtrack would've been a nice start.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

Well I don't know if the DVD on the Gift Set comes with the coupon. I haven't opened it, and I'm not planning to. :twisted: This is just my backup copy, just in case.

In Costco they sell it for $37 and have the DVD only with a cd that includes "One Jump Ahead" and "A Whole New World".

PS

Do you know where to get plush toys or stuff from Aladdin? I've been in several KB Toys and haven't found anything. They still have lots of Lion King stuff.

"You're only second rate!"
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

I got the gift set, and if you guys can hang on for a little while I am preparing a paragraph or two about it which Luke is going to insert into his review. I'm working on it as fast as I can people. Pictures are a possibility too but I can't promise those, we'll see.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
DVDFreak
Limited Issue

Post by DVDFreak »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:

Do you know where to get plush toys or stuff from Aladdin? I've been in several KB Toys and haven't found anything. They still have lots of Lion King stuff.
The best place to get Aladdin plush toys is from the Disney Store. They have Genie, Iago, Abu, Jasmine's tiger...can't remember if they were on sale, but they could be since they're having quite a sale right now.
capsule

Post by capsule »

Maybe I am not educated about how amazing the senitype is...first time I have heard that word actually...but really seems like a worthless piece of junk to me. I think they would like you to believe you have a piece of the one and only print of the film, but that's absurd. My Disney geek side that loves Aladdin wants to buy the collector set, but my logic says senitype's a 0, drawings could be cool, but still just another print of a drawing, verdict is still out on the book, and I already bought the- I shudder to use the word-vanilla edition.

Christopher
RDG
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Entertainment Weekly gives the DVD an A! For those of you who are subscribers, or have AOL, go to www.ew.com, they have it on the front page! If not, go to the DVD section or search for it! I am pleasantly surprised, because it's so hard to get a decent grade in the DVD section, particularly when it's a re-issue of an older movie; they expect the archives and bonus features to be perfect. I searched, and I found the letter grades of the past Platinums.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: A-
(They mentioned they were bored during the actual movie, but the bonus features were great!)

Beauty and the Beast:
EW pretty much changes the format of their reviews every year or so, especially in regards to DVDs. This was in the era when they gave DVDs two grades - movie/presentation, and bonus features
Movie/presentation: A
Bonus features: B-

The Lion King: B-
They really came down on the poor bonus features, but they also mentioned that just having the movie on DVD was enough to make up for this edition's faults. :roll:
pinoy1234

Post by pinoy1234 »

Lumiere wrote:I ma from mexico, I preorder the gift set and it will arrive next week :( , can someone post pictures of the gift set, please :)
hi. this is my first post in this forum and i am from manila, philippines. i have received my Aladdin Gift Set 2 weeks ago from a very legit and reliable source. i am not really ecstatic after viewing this dvd because of high expectations but i'm very proud that our very own Lea Salonga, singing voice of Jasmine, is featured in the dvd... several times. anyhow, you may press the link for the actual pictures of the dvd set.

Page1

Page2

you may browse the pages for more pix.. :)
Last edited by pinoy1234 on Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

pinoy1234 wrote:
Lumiere wrote:I ma from mexico, I preorder the gift set and it will arrive next week :( , can someone post pictures of the gift set, please :)
hi. this is my first post in this forum and i am from manila, philippines. i have received my Aladdin Gift Set 2 weeks ago from a very legit and reliable source. i am not really not ecstatic after viewing this dvd because of high expectations but i'm very proud that our very own Lea Salonga, singing voice of Jasmine, is featured in the dvd... several times. anyhow, you may press the link for the actual pictures of the dvd set.

Page1

Page2

you may browse the pages for more pix.. :)
Thanks a lot for posting and welcome to the boards!
Really nice pictures! I can't wait 'till I have this in my hands this Saturday.
DVDFreak
Limited Issue

Post by DVDFreak »

I'm still wanting to know what coupons are inside the booklet that came with the Aladdin DVD...can anyone tell me, please? Thanks!
pinoy1234

Post by pinoy1234 »

Joe Carioca wrote:
Thanks a lot for posting and welcome to the boards!
Really nice pictures! I can't wait 'till I have this in my hands this Saturday.
thanks joe for the warm welcome.. :)
Christian
Gold Classic Collection

Rodney Dangerfield on Aladdin

Post by Christian »

Can anyone tell me what chapter on the DVD it is where Genie does his Rodney Dangerfield impression? I can't seem to find it for some reason. It's the part where Genie says, "I can't believe it. I'm losing to a rug."
Bill W
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Bill W »

I think that's the part. By the way, I heard on the radio this morning that Rodney Dangerfield died.
Christian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Christian »

Yes, I remember the part but I'm trying to find that spot on the DVD. I don't know why it's so elusive.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Rodney Dangerfield rest in peace.... :cry:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Hey people, I don't want to be the picky importune guy here, but we have so many topics concerning "Aladdin", wouldn't it be better to keep everything just under as few threads as possible?
Just my two cents. ;)
Christian
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Christian »

I don't even care if this thread is completely deleted once my question is answered. I suppose it can even be deleted before that.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Christian wrote:I don't even care if this thread is completely deleted once my question is answered. I suppose it can even be deleted before that.
Oh, that's not what I meant Christian (your post being deleted). And I wasn't refering just to your post. I'm sorry if it seemed so. :oops: