Thoughts On a Treasure Planet Remake / Sequel?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DestiVu

Thoughts On a Treasure Planet Remake / Sequel?

Post by DestiVu »

Over the past year or so I've been seeing some articles that have been teasing the idea of Disney remaking their 2002 film Treasure Planet. I know that there are a lot of opinions out there about remakes or sequels made in this era, so I wanted to get an idea of what people thought about the possibility of this remake in particular.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Treasure Planet and I'm really torn on the idea. On one hand I would really love another movie and just to be able to have something new involving the franchise instead of Disney just continuing to abandon it, but I worry about the kind of changes they might make, not just overall, but more specifically to Jim Hawkins. Maybe it's just me, but in a lot of remakes or reboots (and not just the ones from Disney) it seems to me that the personality of the main character or characters changes a lot. More specifically, they seem to be made more weak and submissive especially if there is a new lead character introduced, they just don't seem to act like themselves at all.

Something like this would go completely against Jim's character and the whole point of the story itself. It's supposed to be about him growing as a person and moving on from the negative things in his life and bettering himself while going towards a brighter future. He starts out with a lot of self-doubt and immaturity but then grows into a more well-rounded and confident person. I would hate to have this all squandered only for him to be kowtowing to some new character they decided to insert. But that's only the worst case scenario, it could end up being a really good sequel that really adds to the lore and moves Jim's story along in a way that I'd really like.

So overall I really just remain torn on the idea and I'm interested in the opinions of others in this community. If nothing else, at least a remake might lead to some more official merchandise being made kind of like what happened with Hocus Pocus 2. There really is quite a lack of merchandise out there for Treasure Planet and I wouldn't mind seeing some more collectables come out, so that might be a consolation if a remake ever does come out and it's terrible.

What do you guys think? :)
Last edited by DestiVu on Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They weren't exactly singing my praises when I left home. But I'm gonna change all that." - Jim Hawkins Treasure Planet

friendoftheotherside

Re: Thoughts On a Treasure Planet Remake / Sequel?

Post by friendoftheotherside »

Hi, DestiVu and welcome! :wave:

I’m not very fond of the remake/sequel trend that the Disney Studios have been in the past decade. So I’m very against the idea of remaking any animated movie. I think it’s very disrespectful to the medium and to the people that worked in the originals. Why Disney thinks it’s okay to copy an animated movie, even things like camera angles, and paste in a lame darker version with reals humans and/or ugly CG characters? :x

Treasure Planet is a beautiful movie, with amazing backgrounds, a diverse cast of characters and groundbreaking technology. I would hate if they take that just to make a lame copy.

Although, I’m not so against movies like Maleficent, Cruella and even the upcoming Mufasa. Because these movies are trying to tell a different story, instead of just repeating one. So maybe if they did John Silver’s origin story? But can you imagine how ugly the characters would look in photorealistic CG? :huh:

But, if I’m being honest, I wouldn’t mind if Disney Animation made a sequel series to explore more of that universe, especially if it would be hand-drawn and if they could bring Ron Clements and John Musker back, since it was a movie they’ve tried to make for years. One can dream, right? lol I don’t know what kind of story they could tell or how it would be titled, since Jim and the crew already found the Treasure Planet. Maybe if they make something about that space academy that Jim went in the end? It could be cool.
DestiVu

Post by DestiVu »

Hi, friendoftheotherside! Thanks for the warm welcome and your reply.

I definitely agree with you on all of those points and that's why I'm so apprehensive about the idea when I see speculation on a remake or sequel for this film to come out. Honestly the idea of CG characters didn't even come to mind, that would certainly be terrible! :x I was thinking more along the lines of them doing an animated sequel kind of like you mentioned, but given the direction Disney has been going, I assume that that's a pretty tall order and they'll just take the easier and cheaper way out.

A sequel such as him being in the academy like you mentioned was more of what I was thinking of as well. But that also leads back to my original point that I don't want them to end up making him submissive to someone who's "better" than him at the academy. Overall there really would be a lot more cons than pros when it comes to the idea of a remake at least in this current era of Disney. It's just disappointing 'cause I love this film so much and I'd really love to see Disney do more with it. :(

But with the way things at Disney have been going, I guess I should come back down to earth, keep my head of the clouds and thank my lucky stars that they've kept their hands off of my favorite film for the time being at least.
"They weren't exactly singing my praises when I left home. But I'm gonna change all that." - Jim Hawkins Treasure Planet

friendoftheotherside

DestiVu wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm Hi, friendoftheotherside! Thanks for the warm welcome and your reply.

I definitely agree with you on all of those points and that's why I'm so apprehensive about the idea when I see speculation on a remake or sequel for this film to come out. Honestly the idea of CG characters didn't even come to mind, that would certainly be terrible! :x I was thinking more along the lines of them doing an animated sequel kind of like you mentioned, but given the direction Disney has been going, I assume that that's a pretty tall order and they'll just take the easier and cheaper way out.
Whenever I see some sort of a live-action remake announcement, one of my first thoughts about it is how the characters would look. Gosh. It’s been a freak show. Maybe with the exception of The Jungle Book and Alice in Wonderland, I think all the CG characters are so ugly and unappealing. They really lack the charm of their original counterparts. I mostly don’t watch those movies anymore because of this and because of how dark/gray they are. And since most of the characters in Treasure Planet are non-human looking, a remake would be so difficult to watch rotfl
DestiVu wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 pm
A sequel such as him being in the academy like you mentioned was more of what I was thinking of as well. But that also leads back to my original point that I don't want them to end up making him submissive to someone who's "better" than him at the academy. Overall there really would be a lot more cons than pros when it comes to the idea of a remake at least in this current era of Disney. It's just disappointing 'cause I love this film so much and I'd really love to see Disney do more with it. :(

But with the way things at Disney have been going, I guess I should come back down to earth, keep my head of the clouds and thank my lucky stars that they've kept their hands off of my favorite film for the time being at least.
I think it’s better that Treasure Planet is left alone, at least when it comes to remake/sequels. A remake would be ugly, and a sequel wouldn’t have most of the original crew (and probably wouldn’t be hand-drawn). But I agree with you that Disney should do more with it. In the Parks, especially. It would be awesome if Treasure Planet got a ride. But more merchandise would also be cool.

Disney Books released an anthology some time ago. It’s called A Twisted Tale Anthology, and it has an alternative version of Treasure Planet. I don’t know if you read it. I didn’t get the chance yet. But it would be interesting if they get to release more of this, like comics or something.
DestiVu

Post by DestiVu »

friendoftheotherside wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 pm
Disney Books released an anthology some time ago. It’s called A Twisted Tale Anthology, and it has an alternative version of Treasure Planet. I don’t know if you read it. I didn’t get the chance yet. But it would be interesting if they get to release more of this, like comics or something.
Wait whaaat!? No I had no idea that was released! Now I've for sure got to add that too my list along with 'A Voyage of Discovery'. I've been waiting to get that book for a while but since it's so expensive it's been off the table for me. But with that book and the anthology you just mentioned, I guess that will be enough to tide me over until Disney can finally get with the program and release a proper animated sequel. Thanks for letting me know of the book!
friendoftheotherside wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:40 pm
Whenever I see some sort of a live-action remake announcement, one of my first thoughts about it is how the characters would look. Gosh. It’s been a freak show. Maybe with the exception of The Jungle Book and Alice in Wonderland, I think all the CG characters are so ugly and unappealing. They really lack the charm of their original counterparts. I mostly don’t watch those movies anymore because of this and because of how dark/gray they are. And since most of the characters in Treasure Planet are non-human looking, a remake would be so difficult to watch rotfl
Oh God....what horrendous imagery you've put into my head there... :!: :!: I think I've learned my lesson that I never should have even entertained the idea of a remake in the current era rotfl

BTW do you know if that anthology book is still being sold or where I might be able to get it? Thanks in advance. :)

friendoftheotherside

DestiVu wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 pm Oh God....what horrendous imagery you've put into my head there... :!: :!: I think I've learned my lesson that I never should have even entertained the idea of a remake in the current era rotfl

BTW do you know if that anthology book is still being sold or where I might be able to get it? Thanks in advance. :)
I’m really sorry about that horrendous imagery :lol:

The Disney Books website shows all the online stores where you can buy a copy of the book: https://books.disney.com/book/a-twisted-tale-anthology/
DestiVu

Post by DestiVu »

friendoftheotherside wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 pm
I’m really sorry about that horrendous imagery :lol:

The Disney Books website shows all the online stores where you can buy a copy of the book: https://books.disney.com/book/a-twisted-tale-anthology/
Lol no worries and thanks for the link! I'll surely be ordering that soon.

BTW if you haven't read 'A Voyage of Discovery' yet, it is available to borrow for free on archive.org via their book lending program, that's how I've been reading it so far. There's so much good info in there! I think you'd find it interesting.

https://archive.org/details/treasure-pl ... -discovery

friendoftheotherside

DestiVu wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 pm Lol no worries and thanks for the link! I'll surely be ordering that soon.

BTW if you haven't read 'A Voyage of Discovery' yet, it is available to borrow for free on archive.org via their book lending program, that's how I've been reading it so far. There's so much good info in there! I think you'd find it interesting.

https://archive.org/details/treasure-pl ... -discovery
OMG! I didn’t know about that. That’s so cool. Thank you so much for sharing it! :D