Will Disney Ever Recover?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
reee9948
Gold Classic Collection

Will Disney Ever Recover?

Post by reee9948 »

Ever since 2020, Disney has been hit with nothing but box office failures and criticism from critics and fans alike. The only movie that gain some positive reception is Encanto, but even that bombed because of Covid. While 2020 was the start of them failing in the box office, some said that Disney really really fell off in 2018 with the release of Wreck in Ralph 2 in 2018 which was hated by a lot of people and in 2019 when they released Frozen 2 which while may have made the most money for Disney, it wasn't well received as the original movie.

Considering, that we are now in the sequel era cause the original movies failed, I wonder if Disney will ever come back to its glory days? I know sequels will make them more money, but Disney isn't known for making amazing sequels like Dreamworks and even Dreamworks have been failing recently with the release of Kung Fu Panda 4.

I know Disney has been in the dark era before (though honestly I prefer there 'dark' age movie over their 3d movies), but it seems like Disney this time have dug a really deep grave that they can't get out of. They made both leftist and rightist angry with their recent decision and with the executive meddling too much in the creative process and the worry of 'offending people' they are have become too afraid to step out of their comfort zone and create a movie that lives up to the Disney Legacy.

Is it possible for Disney to come out of grave they dug themselves in or will they continue failing and possibly end up being forced to shut down their animation department (I highly doubt that it will happen since Disney is too big to fail, but considering they shut down the 2d department cause their 2d movies failed in the 2000s, there's always a possibility.)
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Re: Will Disney Ever Recover?

Post by Kyle »

They're not gonna shut down their animation department, but I do think they will need to continue to fail harder before we see them rise out of this. Iger recently said a lesson they've learned is that they need to do more oversight of their creatives to make sure things dont go awry. Like, what? That's the opposite takeaway they need to having right now. If that's what they think right now, they have no idea why they are failing in the first place.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

If Disney survived the 2000s and 1970s era flops, they will be fine now. If there's a company that is known for having dark years before coming back stronger than ever, it's them.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

But the โ€˜70s animated films (Aristocats (1970), Robin Hood (1973) and Rescuers (1977)) I believe did very well at the box office during their original releases. The Black Cauldron (1985) was the only real animated failure between Jungle Book (1967) and Little Mermaid (1989).
If Iโ€™m wrong, please let me know.
Live action box office was disappointing during those years, if I recall correctly.
DEEcat98

Post by DEEcat98 »

Though, at least Pixar's doing fine with their 2020's animated movies as those films (except for Lightyear) have most people liking them well, despite them flopping, but that's because of COVID and Elemental at first flopped because it didn't get enough people to see it when it was very recent at the time.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Iโ€™ve literally been asking the same thing for months. Sure, Avatar 2 made billions and Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy 3 were financially successful and The Little Mermaid and Elemental did pretty good at the (worldwide) box office, but for whatever reason, WDAS films havenโ€™t been making as much as Disneyโ€™s other theatrical releases or nothing at all and itโ€™s very concerning. :(

What upsets me more is that I feel like most moviegoers now are absolutely hypocritical about what they will or wonโ€™t see in theaters. They wonโ€™t see a Disney film in theaters (specifically an original not-based-on-a-previously-established-IP Disney film) and wait till it drops on Disney+ to watch it โ€œfor freeโ€, but theyโ€™ll show up in droves for something like Barbie, Super Mario Bros or even Five Nights At Freddyโ€™s. :roll:
The Disneynerd
Gold Classic Collection

Post by The Disneynerd »

lord-of-sith wrote: โ†‘Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 am If Disney survived the 2000s and 1970s era flops, they will be fine now. If there's a company that is known for having dark years before coming back stronger than ever, it's them.
i agree
DisneyJedi wrote: โ†‘Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 am What upsets me more is that I feel like most moviegoers now are absolutely hypocritical about what they will or wonโ€™t see in theaters. They wonโ€™t see a Disney film in theaters (specifically an original not-based-on-a-previously-established-IP Disney film) and wait till it drops on Disney+ to watch it โ€œfor freeโ€, but theyโ€™ll show up in droves for something like Barbie, Super Mario Bros or even Five Nights At Freddyโ€™s. :roll:
Gurl..I think its the opposite. People clearly want Disney Animation to make something new, fresh and unexpected, something Wish clearly wasnt. The only original aspect of the movie is that the villain is way more sympathetic than the protagonist

I also dont think that the 3rd Avatar will be as successful as the first 2, but still will be able to cross around 1B.

When they are playing it too safe like the previous few years, by pushing aside the story but saying "hey look atleast our Animation looks more real now", WDAS wont be as memorable as Dreamworks or Sony, especially the latter who is killing it rn with Spiderverse and Mitchells vs Mashines, which I think deserved the Oscar instead of Mehcanto

And the whole world knows Barbie and Supermario, so a movie adaption was always a guranteed success, no matter how the story turned out, but I doubt the Mario sequel will be as successful and will make around 400 Million worldwide, same for a potential Barbie sequel.
My favourite Disney songs:
๐Ÿ. ๐“Ÿ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฝ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“ฆ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ต๐“ญ (๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ฎ ๐“œ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ถ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ญ)
๐Ÿ. ๐“ฆ๐“ช๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ฆ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ผ (๐“ฃ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ)
๐Ÿ‘. Wherever I go (Hannah Montana)๐ŸŽถ :cry:
๐Ÿ’. ๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ญ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป ๐“‘๐“ธ๐”‚ (๐“๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐“ญ๐“ฒ๐“ท)
๐Ÿ“. ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’ž๐“๐’พ๐“‚๐’ท :cry: (๐“—๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“ƒ๐’ถ๐’ฝ ๐“œ๐‘œ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐’ถ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐’พ๐‘’)
& more: 1000 years ( Legend of the Neverbeast),
I'll try (Return to Neverland) :pan: , So close (Enchanted), ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Šยด๐“๐“ ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“‹๐‘’๐“‡ ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐‘’ ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ˆ ๐“๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ (๐’Ÿ๐’พ๐“ˆ๐“ƒ๐‘’๐“Ž ๐’ซ๐“‡๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐‘’๐“ˆ๐“ˆ: ๐ธ๐“ƒ๐’ธ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“ƒ๐“‰๐‘’๐’น ๐’ฏ๐’ถ๐“๐‘’๐“ˆ), I thought I lost you (BOLT), Into the Unknown (Frozen 2) :pink:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

In my opinion, Bob Iger cared about short term investments and successes and never bothered to consider what would happen if people stopped caring about Star Wars or the MCU. Nothing lasts forever.

However, the biggest issue is that he completely stripped the soul out Disney and I think people started to notice it, too much focus on franchises, too much focus on sequels, too much focus on remakes, and his biggest mistake was abandoning Disney's biggest legacy, which is hand drawn animation, now there's nothing that makes them more special and unique than other animation studios that make the same bland CGI movies. Disney under Walt and during the Renaissance used to be innovative, they are no longer trying and they have become tired. They no longer tell stories, but rather they're here to sell you a product, and this is why people are bored and unenamored with the company.

Can Disney recover? Yes, but I don't see it happening under the current leadership. There needs to be a major change and unfortunately Roy Disney isn't here to organize another "Save Disney" campaign.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Great analysis, Farerb!
Couldnโ€™t agree more.

Iger is destroying the parks too.
friendoftheotherside

Post by friendoftheotherside »

Iโ€™m not sure if reee9948 is asking about Disney in general or if itโ€™s specifically about Disney Animation. If itโ€™s the first, I donโ€™t think Disney is in so much trouble. Yeah, they had a lot of flops in the last couple of years, but Disney is too big as a company now to go bankrupt like in the olden days. At least for now. Even with all the flops, Disney was the second highest grossing studio of 2023.

As for WDAS, I think, as longer as some lame CEO is in charge, the studio will be under some kind of treat. Because I donโ€™t believe Bob Iger really cares about that studio, or its legacy or even about animation in general. Regardless of how anyone feels about Wish, that movie was made as celebration for the studioโ€™s 100th anniversary. And in my opinion, the marketing was terrible. Just terrible. Fanmade posters were better than the ones officially released. It seemed that Disney didnโ€™t cared at all about its release. The same applies to Elemental and basically every other original animated movie released in the recent past.
DisneyJedi wrote: โ†‘Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 am What upsets me more is that I feel like most moviegoers now are absolutely hypocritical about what they will or wonโ€™t see in theaters. They wonโ€™t see a Disney film in theaters (specifically an original not-based-on-a-previously-established-IP Disney film) and wait till it drops on Disney+ to watch it โ€œfor freeโ€, but theyโ€™ll show up in droves for something like Barbie, Super Mario Bros or even Five Nights At Freddyโ€™s. :roll:
I wouldnโ€™t call hypocritical. As reee9948 said, Disney enraged different types of people by being involved in a lot of controversies lately. And people moved on to greener pastures. Basically all Disney has to offer right now is the same that theyโ€™ve been offering for the last decade. So why would people show up when they can see โ€œnewโ€ things? Sure, Barbie, Super Mario Bros and Five Nights At Freddyโ€™s arenโ€™t technically new, because they already had some type of a fanbase, but itโ€™s not the 40th entry in a franchise.
Farerb wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:19 am In my opinion, Bob Iger cared about short term investments and successes and never bothered to consider what would happen if people stopped caring about Star Wars or the MCU. Nothing lasts forever.

However, the biggest issue is that he completely stripped the soul out Disney and I think people started to notice it, too much focus on franchises, too much focus on sequels, too much focus on remakes, and his biggest mistake was abandoning Disney's biggest legacy, which is hand drawn animation, now there's nothing that makes them more special and unique than other animation studios that make the same bland CGI movies. Disney under Walt and during the Renaissance used to be innovative, they are no longer trying and they have become tired. They no longer tell stories, but rather they're here to sell you a product, and this is why people are bored and unenamored with the company.

Can Disney recover? Yes, but I don't see it happening under the current leadership. There needs to be a major change and unfortunately Roy Disney isn't here to organize another "Save Disney" campaign.
Farerb, are you some kind of mind reader? lol Because thatโ€™s basically how I think about this whole situation.

By only caring about short term investments and successes, Bob Iger undervalued original stories. Even most of Disney fans seems to only care about sequels and remakes now, because it caters to their nostalgia. Yeah, people complains about when those titles are announced, but they still show up in theaters to watch them, albeit less than they did before. Just look at The Little Mermaid remake vs. Elemental or Wishโ€™s box office. And his solution to the problem? He announced even more sequels and remakes. Iโ€™m sure his brilliant idea of releasing a remake and a sequel to Moana with less than two years between them will fix everything! :roll:

People keep blaming Bob Chapek for everything, while this whole mess started under Iger (or maybe even under Michael Eisner and his cheapquels). Chapek wasnโ€™t the villain people claim, and Iger also isnโ€™t a hero. Theyโ€™re both clowns. And if/when Iger leaves, heโ€™s probably going to be replaced by another clown.Wall Street and shareholders arenโ€™t going to care while Disney keeps making money, because they donโ€™t care about creativity and innovation, only about money.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Farerb, I agree with you. The seeds of the companyโ€™s current issues were sown during Bob Igerโ€™s first tenure as CEO. Iโ€™m glad Iger survived the recent challenge from Nelson Peltz, but Disney does need a new vision.

Personally, though, I canโ€™t muster much doom and gloom. Iโ€™ve been through this before, my fandom and education in all things Disney started in the 2000โ€™s, during that dark age. The posts here lately about a return to traditional animation feel like a real blast from the past. Things were bleak back then, but they got better. And now theyโ€™re bad again. Theyโ€™ll probably get better again. Or maybe they wonโ€™t.

If weโ€™re entering (or have entered) a dark age, maybe there are things to appreciate within itโ€ฆ or at least to find interesting. Disney made some weird movies in the early 2000โ€™s. Or Wishโ€ฆ personally, itโ€™s captured my imagination because while there are elements I like a lot in the film, there are others which are serious missteps that harm the film and you just wonderโ€ฆ why did they make that choice? Do others not take some interest and enjoyment in dissecting what makes โ€œbadโ€ movies bad? If weโ€™re entering another dark age, I hope we get loads of weird movies to dissect. Just so long as they donโ€™t sink the studio before another golden age can begin!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, Disney has recovered from Dark Periods before, so they`ll most likely recover again. Despite how there will always be naysayers who will whine, no matter what.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

reee9948 wrote: โ†‘Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:40 pm Is it possible for Disney to come out of grave they dug themselves in or will they continue failing and possibly end up being forced to shut down their animation department (I highly doubt that it will happen since Disney is too big to fail, but considering they shut down the 2d department cause their 2d movies failed in the 2000s, there's always a possibility.)
The Death of Disney Animation has been used so many times as the theoretical argument for when the company is in a dark age. It's happened in the post-war years, after the expensive cost of Sleeping Beauty, in the wake of Walt's death, in 1984 when the Saul Steinberg, Irwin Jacobs, and Ivan Boesky attempted a hostile takeover of the company, again in 2004 when they dodged a Comcast buyout, and now. Each time, they've bounced back. Post-War Disney gave way to Cinderella. Sleeping Beauty gave way to the cheaper xerography process and the highly profitable One Hundred and One Dalmatians. Walt's Death did make them play it safe, but every 1970s animated film was a box office hit by both Disney and industry standards. The 90s/00s online rhetoric often liked to bully the success of Robin Hood and make it seem like a lesser film than it actually is; never mind the reality that the film was the studio's highest grossing film for 1973 and part of the company's 50th Anniversary celebrations. It was, in essence, what Wish was for the 100th anniversary.

When the company rebuilt itself in 1984 with the influx of Roy E. Disney, Michael Eisner, and Frank Wells, animation was still a priority even though it seemed to take second-tier to that influx of live-action Touchstone fare. (And look at today, Touchstone has been retired as a brand name, while animation has not.) And the abandonment of hand-drawn animation post-2004 has still led to its own revival on two occasions (The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh), as well as regaining the trust (and dollars) of its audience with subsequent CGI pictures after the critical drubbing that Chicken Little got. I think if history has taught us anything, it's that even when Disney tries to kill their animation, they don't succeed. Those who choose to take sides in the left/right politics about the current era Disney will blow it up into more than it is, but that's the way of the internet and any court of public opinion. It's all hot air online, but rarely indicative or informative of how the business works.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?