Bob Iger is Back!!!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Re: Bob Iger is Back!!!

Post by D23ExpoVisitor25 »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:36 pm Even if that's the case, that's still a sizable percentage of potential consumers. Do you think there's anything Disney could do at this point to win them back or is it a lost cause? Maybe Disney just needs to lower their threshold of financial success from now on. It doesn't help that liberals also seem disenchanted by Disney lately. The following opinion piece reads like a eulogy for Disney. And it's coming from The New York Times, of all places. :biting:

Disney Is a Language. Do We Still Speak It?
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/16/movi ... guage.html
Yeah, I’m not gonna look into The NY Times for any opinion pieces when they tried to run opinion pieces that almost cost us and Biden the 2020 Election only for people to ignore them because they didn’t like the other candidate in charge of America at the time.

So, I think their think piece is overblown, wrong, and extreme.
Last edited by D23ExpoVisitor25 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:36 pm Even if that's the case, that's still a sizable percentage of potential consumers. Do you think there's anything Disney could do at this point to win them back or is it a lost cause? Maybe Disney just needs to lower their threshold of financial success from now on. It doesn't help that liberals also seem disenchanted by Disney lately. The following opinion piece reads like a eulogy for Disney. And it's coming from The New York Times, of all places. :biting:

I have never claimed Disney is currently in anything but bad straits right now. My issue is with the suggestion that the fix is to cater to a vocal far right minority.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:19 pmMy issue is with the suggestion that the fix is to cater to a vocal far right minority.
Out of curiosity, what would you consider as 'catering' to them? No longer including LGBT representation in children's programming? No longer race-bending legacy characters? Something else?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

More bad news for Disney.

'Tremendous loss to America': South Carolina is dumping $105M of Disney investments due to 'structural rot' in the company
https://moneywise.com/investing/south-c ... -of-disney

Tesla removes Disney+ app amid Elon Musk's feud with Disney CEO Bob Iger
https://mashable.com/article/tesla-remo ... -musk-feud
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Eh, there are other states they can look to. So, no big issue. South Carolina was never a good state to be in anyway.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:34 pm
UmbrellaFish wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:19 pmMy issue is with the suggestion that the fix is to cater to a vocal far right minority.
Out of curiosity, what would you consider as 'catering' to them? No longer including LGBT representation in children's programming? No longer race-bending legacy characters? Something else?
I think Disney should absolutely be more thoughtful about the ways they tell stories featuring diverse characters. But I don’t think most people on the far right really give a sh!t about Disney characters and movies— they just see in Disney an easy target with which to spread a hateful message. I don’t think good things can come from listening and acquiescing to their demands.
PatchofBlue
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PatchofBlue »

Sotiris wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:36 pm The following opinion piece reads like a eulogy for Disney. And it's coming from The New York Times, of all places. :biting:

I'm not remarkably interested in reading things like this. I just don't think there's any surprise there. I don't think they know something I don't. The potential fall of Disney is going to excite a lot of writers, especially those who have kind of been gunning for it for years now. We can just let them have their moment and then keep doing what we do.

I think the best thing Disney fans can do at this point is NOT play into this hysteria about Disney entering a new dark age and just take their offerings as they come. I don't think that necessarily means singing their praises with every movie, whatever the merit, but I do think it means remembering that headlines, even from prominent outlets like The New York Times, are designed to lure in clicks, and in the long run they will just be footnotes in the chronicle. Mostly I think it means remembering that the real dialogue belongs to the fans.

I do think there is an outcome where five years from now, we have a handful of new Disney classics finding their placement in the pyramid, and that awkward post-pandemic transition was just kind of a close call. The frustrating reality of it, I'll acknowledge, is that much of this rests in the hands of the artists and their ability to navigate the not-inconsiderable challenges currently besetting them presently, but it's also not like Disney hasn't gotten itself out of tight scraps before. Whenever they get do back on their feet, we'll be ready. And in the meantime, there's still a lot on the table that's open for discussion.

As far as Disney kowtowing to the far-right goes, I think it's also important to remember that Encanto was a huge boost for them and became a genuine cultural force in ways that rival, and in some ways even surpassed, Frozen. Not to mention that even within the treasure trove of golden age MCU, Black Panther stands as one of their most celebrated and lucrative accomplishments. They have received positive reinforcement for being thoughtful and inclusive.

I think there will be a potential drop-off in racebending characters, at least headlining characters, and that is worth getting a little frustrated about. But we'll probably continue to see stories built from the ground up around underrepresented cultures.

I'll admit I'd be a little more concerned about prominent LGBT representation in Disney, though. The far-right has had more success in quashing that, it seems.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

PatchofBlue, thank you for sharing such a thoughtful and detailed response. I share your sentiments.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I think at this point America is just gearing up for a civil war. Disney is just one of the many battle grounds.

I wish I was kidding.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

PatrickvD wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:30 pm I think at this point America is just gearing up for a civil war. Disney is just one of the many battle grounds.

I wish I was kidding.
Suddenly, Alex Garland’s Civil War movie is making more sense.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

PatrickvD wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:30 pm I think at this point America is just gearing up for a civil war. Disney is just one of the many battle grounds.

I wish I was kidding.
That's terrible considering we're literally on the verge of World War III. China, Russia and Iran will definitely take advantage of a Civil War in America, that will most likely destroy America. When America falls, the entire free world will fall with it. I've been suspecting recently that foreign agents from Russia, China and Iran use social media in order to cause division within Western society, and unfortunately the far right and the far left allows them that (the only thing they agree on is that Jews are the problem). The moderates need to have their voices heard more than the radicals, and work for unity, otherwise we're all doomed.
Lele
Limited Issue

Post by Lele »

if the thing that comes out of it is that they stop insulting stories by blackwashing and racebending white characters, then that's positive.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney’s 10 Biggest Moments of 2023: Layoffs, Box Office Bombs, Board Fight, DeSantis Feud and More
https://variety.com/lists/disney-bigges ... 2023-iger/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Gundam creator warns anime not to become like “boring” new Disney films
https://www.dexerto.com/anime/gundam-cr ... s-2441371/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Big M&A and Bob Iger’s future: 13 media executives make their anonymous 2024 predictions
https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/20/13-medi ... tions.html

The Disney Sequel Bob Iger Never Wanted
https://www.wsj.com/business/media/disn ... s-19c58496

Wall Street Is Focused on Disney Streaming Profits, Cost Cutting Ahead of Q1 Earnings
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-q1-2024- ... s-preview/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

News from Disney's Q1 2024 earnings call.

Bob Iger Says Disney Is ‘Leaning More’ Into Sequels, Franchises: ‘Actually a Smart Thing’
https://www.thewrap.com/bob-iger-disney ... -earnings/

Disney’s Iger Plays Offense, Touting New Investments, Streaming Initiatives After Earnings Win
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-iger-com ... -earnings/

Disney Leverages Blockbuster Earnings to Urge Shareholders to Vote for Its Board Members: ‘Stage Is Now Set for Significant Growth and Success’
https://www.thewrap.com/disney-sharehol ... -nominees/
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Bob is all out of tricks. More sequels, a collaboration announcement with Fortnite that says ‘soon(ish)’… I mean, what was that all about lol

:headshake:

If investors actually buy this and not see it for the desperation that it is then they’re very stupid. Moana 2 can’t hide the loss in streaming subscribers.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Iger performed again the only trick up his sleeve which is shock-and-awe announcements for sequels based on big IP. And it probably worked too. The news garnered a ton of buzz and discussion online and risk-averse Wall Street always loves safe bets like more franchise installments. I think this is all just smoke and mirrors to hide the rot underneath. Iger has no idea what he's doing. He's only driving Disney further into the ground at this point. He needs to go.
D23ExpoVisitor25
Special Edition

Keep complaining and he’s just gonna stay there longer to spite you and anger you with that cold, jaded attitude.

He’ll go at the end of 2026, so for now, suck it up and live with it.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I'm genuinely feeling frustrated by this announcement of the next WDAS movie being a sequel. And a huge part of me wants to call out people on Twitter with an "You idiots! This is all YOUR faults! If you had gone and supported Wish in theaters instead of crapping on it or being all "I'lL wAiT TiLl iT HiTs DiSneY+", this wouldn't have happened! But NOOOOO!!!" :x