MMB Intergallatic Star Wars DVD Review!

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

MMB Intergallatic Star Wars DVD Review!

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

::a strong sound shakes the floors of UD.com:: Terry: look it's a star wars space ship! Netty: Oh mate look it's MMB!

Hi Everyone! hey terry and netty! :lol: Just like everyone in here in 2 days everyone will be owning this anticipated tittle on DVD! well here's my review of the set.

House in a box within a box with a top flap that can be removed via a hair drier to get the goo off! To me the box seems a little cheap than what I expected but oh well! All 3 movies are spread into 50 chapters each on their own disc. all have the commentarie, 5.1 Dolby Digital surround EX, and 2.0 tracks in english, spanish and french. also included is a cheap crappy chapter listing.......I had expected more than just a piece of paper.....the good thing is that all inserts have original concept artwork on the other side. All the discs have the original art work imprited on them.

Video

Finally presented in Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1 all I can say is WOW for all 3 movies! They're crist, bright, detail is always there, no artifacts, no grain, whatever lucas did hey it worked! haha everyone should be pleased with the picture quality!

Sound

Hey! is time to start setting up those surround sounds if you don't have one you better get one because you're up for a treat! Presented in a 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX, Star Wars couldnt sound better! Lightsabers, Death Star Exploding, the cycle chase in the woods. This mix will blow you out! This is what a 5.1 Track should sound on every DVD! Everyone should be very much pleased with this mix. I don't see how a DTS track could top this mix!

Extras

while I havent seen all of features, I did see the preview for Star Wars III in anamorphic WS, nice little featurette and I can't wait to see it in theaters! then we get the featurettes, trailers, etc..... all menus are interactive, anamorphic and 5.1 friendly!

Changes

All I going to say is that Hayden C. is in Return of the Jedi :roll: It's looks so weird but yet it matches :lol: It's a well done change that wasn't really welcomed on my end as it doesnt add anything but it takes away from the movie knowing that he wasn't even there in the beginning and for some reason it just doesnt look like it was part of it in the original film. but ugh I'll stop my rant before it get over bearing! Also Naboo is in the celebration scene and nowhere found is the ewok song! also coming on tuesday is the 2 disc set soundtracks for all 3 films maybe the ewok song will be there? The Special Effects look updated and some look like they have been tampered with. but over all it looks really good!

Closing Thoughts

For been a rushed project due to piracy. The picture and sound can smoke the pirate DVDs out of this world and everyone who has bootlegs should think about upgrading to this set. Everyone that doesnt should buy these also. If you dont have a surround sound get one since you'll be happy you did! If you have a surround sound be prepared to have the time of your life! if you have a HD-Widescreen Display be prepared to enjoy the crisp anamorphic transfer! if you dont own a WS display get one :lol: not really they still look good on a regular TV! Everyone enjoy!
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Glad you enjoyed the set MMB! I am really looking forward to this set. Great review, everyone will be really jazzed now! :D
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Maerj wrote:Glad you enjoyed the set MMB! I am really looking forward to this set. Great review, everyone will be really jazzed now! :D

Thanks you Master Jedi Telly wong. May the Force be with you!
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

Yay!

That was ALMOST an exclusive behind the other 700 sites that beat you to it :)
For been a rushed project due to piracy
George Answers MMB: "A lot of people are getting very worried about piracy. That has really eaten dramatically into the sales. It really just came down to, there may not be a market when I wanted to bring it out, which was like, three years from now."

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5293

Is there a common thread among people named George, in that they are all dense and oblivious to the world around them?

Lucas, Dubya, Costanza...
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
GOGOinVegas
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GOGOinVegas »

just an FYI.... I saw in some forum that Rite Aid had them for sale already.
Just out of skeptical curiosity, I looked and low and behold they had em behind the counter! I gotta see how many I can watch tonite so see ya!!
:)
Jules: You know the shows on TV?
Vincent: I don't watch TV.
Jules: Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: MMB Intergallatic Star Wars DVD Review!

Post by Escapay »

MickeyMouseboy wrote: nowhere found is the ewok song!
What, no Ewok song???? Damn, I loved the Ewoks! (Seriously, guys, I did.)

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Loomis wrote:George Answers MMB: "A lot of people are getting very worried about piracy. That has really eaten dramatically into the sales. It really just came down to, there may not be a market when I wanted to bring it out, which was like, three years from now."
Hold on, how can it of eaten dramatically into the sales of an unreleased product? Is the great bearded one so god-like now that he can see the future with certain clarity?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Re: MMB Intergallatic Star Wars DVD Review!

Post by Maerj »

Escapay wrote:
MickeyMouseboy wrote: nowhere found is the ewok song!
What, no Ewok song???? Damn, I loved the Ewoks! (Seriously, guys, I did.)

Escapay
The Ewoks are still there, the song was replaced back in 1997 for the Special Editions.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

wow a wooping 7 replies :lol: oh I see Loomis made his daily round on one of my posts :P
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:wow a wooping 7 replies :lol: oh I see Loomis made his daily round on one of my posts :P
Shouldn't that be "Lord Loomis, we are honoured with your presence"

Dispense with the pleasantries, MMB - I am here to put you back on schedule. :P

One day to go for me....very excited now...
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Loomis wrote:
MickeyMouseboy wrote:wow a wooping 7 replies :lol: oh I see Loomis made his daily round on one of my posts :P
Shouldn't that be "Lord Loomis, we are honoured with your presence"

Dispense with the pleasantries, MMB - I am here to put you back on schedule. :P

One day to go for me....very excited now...
I always got your back mate, even in your looney times. Why havent you been on you know where :? :D
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

MickeyMouseboy wrote:I always got your back mate, even in your looney times. Why havent you been on you know where :? :D
Did I have you on the MSN or AIM one?

I don't really use AIM since I got my new computer, and I seem to lose half my contacts on MSN (unless I was using a different email address, which is highly likely).

I'll try and add my MSN contact details on here again...
Ludwig Von Drake
Special Edition

Post by Ludwig Von Drake »

why were changes made to jedi with Hadeyn?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Ludwig Von Drake wrote:why were changes made to jedi with Hadeyn?
George Lucas is in wuv with Hayden and wanted him in another movie.

But really, I think he did it to sort of "bridge" the gap between the movies. Supposedly, when Anakin becomes Darth Vader, his goodness has died, so when he appears as a ghost, it's supposed to be his young good Jedi self I guess? And that's why it's young Hayden instead of old Sebastian.

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

elbisreverri

Post by deathie mouse »

And here I was worrying if they would finally mix the Star Destroyer entrance as a hard back center channel. (Which TH said was never that way on the original. suuure...)

The Digital Bits and others are reporting the music in the surround channels is reversed. Lucas is saying that's a "creative decision".

Meesa thinks this is what happenned.

Jar Jar: Ooooh looka those 18 cables. Messa thinks thats lotsa cables. Why?

G: Oh that's cus we're keeping the 6 channel music dialogue and effects elements separate till the final mix down/mastering which we're gonna do just now. Hey! Tell that ewok to be careful! he's gonna trip on some cable!

ewok trips

JJ: Oooohh dontsa worry. Messa is gonna reconect those 2 cables that got disconected.

Jar Jar connects.
Escapay

Re: elbisreverri

Post by Escapay »

deathie mouse wrote:And here I was worrying if they would finally mix the Star Destroyer entrance as a hard back center channel. (Which TH said was never that way on the original. suuure...)
Huh? What part is that?

Escapay
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

the sky is falling

Post by deathie mouse »

I wrote:Here I was worrying if they would finally mix the Star Destroyer entrance as a hard back center channel. (Which TH said was never that way on the original. suuure...)

and Escapay asked:

Huh? What part is that?
Well, when i saw STAR WARS in an original 6 magnetic track 70mm print (No episode iv thing) the Star Destroyer's sound entrance at the beginning (chasing Leia's ship) came from behind, hard center and passed over your head like a jet going over you before you saw it show up on screen and it kept coming from behind and going over till it passed completely. I remember it VERY clearly (and a couple of friends that saw it in that same theater separately from me) cus there was an airport behind the theater and the first time it scared everybody there cus we all thought a plane was crashing into the theater from behind cus you never heard the planes from inside the theater (well that only happened the first time we saw it :D on the following times I saw it, I already knew what it was :P) I remember looking up at the ceiling of the huge theater (a D-150 curved screen one) and "following" the sound with my eyes (and i wasn't the only one who did that) and then the Star Destroyer showed up on the screen big as the ceiling. I'll never forget that. And I am hoping the new DVD recreates that.... since it has at least a matrix derived center surround (not like the 5.1 Special rEdition stereo surround mix which didn't resemble in any way or shape the original star destroyer entrance. (I think my old stereo laserdisc does that better :P). When ppl complained about the stereo surround mix I read TH himself said that SW had never had a hard center surround or that it had never been mixed that way or some badderlash like that. 70mm magnetic 6 channel prints had a discrete hard center surround. Not a "matrix derived" one like Dolby Stereo or Dolby 5.1 "EX" or a "phantom center channel" one from the the regular Dolby Digital 5.1 stereo surrounds. I think today only DTS 6.1 ES has a discrete hard center surround but the Star Wars dvds don't have DTS.

Hope they also don't zoombox and crop the full 2.40 wide image neither (see my 100% Projector Aperture desrever avatar for comparison :twisted: )

I want to get the PAL version, so I must resist going to Suncoast and buying the NTSC version.

Irreversible music surround channels are helping.
Luke
Site Admin

Re: elbisreverri

Post by Luke »

deathie mouse wrote:Meesa thinks this is what happenned.

Jar Jar: Ooooh looka those 18 cables. Messa thinks thats lotsa cables. Why?

G: Oh that's cus we're keeping the 6 channel music dialogue and effects elements separate till the final mix down/mastering which we're gonna do just now. Hey! Tell that ewok to be careful! he's gonna trip on some cable!

ewok trips

JJ: Oooohh dontsa worry. Messa is gonna reconect those 2 cables that got disconected.

Jar Jar connects.
I bet that's exactly what happened. And nice new avatar, deathie! :)
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Loomis wrote:
MickeyMouseboy wrote:I always got your back mate, even in your looney times. Why havent you been on you know where :? :D
Did I have you on the MSN or AIM one?

I don't really use AIM since I got my new computer, and I seem to lose half my contacts on MSN (unless I was using a different email address, which is highly likely).

I'll try and add my MSN contact details on here again...
PM your new info. :D
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

My set came from Amazon today (Free Shipping can be fast!) and I've been going through the Bonus Disc. I haven't yet watched the big documentary, so I hope that is really special because the rest of it has been underwhelming. Maybe not underwhelming for 'any movie'...but these are three movies and STAR WARS movies at that. I know I'll have to watch the 150-minute documentary before passing judgment altogether.

But:
:up:
The Characters of Star Wars: This was a good featurette, but it feels cut short, leaving out major characters and ending abruptly. Hopefully, there's more of this type in the documentary.
Episode III Preview: Return of Darth Vader - Not quite as revealing as a trailer, but it provided a pretty interesting look at a film that I hadn't been anticipating as much as I once would have.

Eh..
Birth of the Lightsaber: Mildly interesting, but not much of a featurette. The highlight was the "Simpsons" clip in the end credits. Fox so totally should have include "Planet of the Apes: The Musical" on the Planet of the Apes DVD released this past February.
Trailers and TV Spots: nice to see, but this is a small sampling
Posters and Print Campaign: ditto
The Force is With Them: A whole bunch of filmmakers heaping praise on Lucas and company. This sounded more interesting in theory. In execution, it's just a bunch of brief clips from other films and essentially a promo for ILM.

:down:
Star Wars: Episode III - Making the Game: great, an ad for a video game based on a film that isn't done
Battlefront Game Demo: no use to me
Battlefront Trailer: another ad, passed off as a significant bonus feature

Still have to watch the Lightsaber featurette and of course, the big documentary, which I hope makes up for everything.

For now, this seems pretty underwhelming in comparison to the other two Star Wars DVDs, and those were single films. Obviously, there's less material for older films, but there is so much more to do with these films, and with 7½ years to put together the DVD, it's disappointing. Yes, I know Lucas was working on the other films. But maybe he should have rearranged his priorities. These DVDs, not the prequels, are how his great Star Wars world will live on for some time...for me personally, anyway.

I know we Internet folk can be a bit overly critical, and I should watch the documentary before lamenting it. But I shall return to this post later.
Last edited by Luke on Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.