Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Re: trailer on disney-home

Post by Joe Carioca »

haagi_de wrote:Only thing I'm concerned about is the huge amount of audio tracks. There seem to be 7, including the AC: DD 5.1 in English, French and Spanish. Two times DD 2.0 (original mix and enhanced "down"-mix), the enhanced mix (which was in DTS, at least on the German Lion King-DVD) plus AC (presumably in DD 2.0 or 1.0). Seems a bit much to me with a 139min-movie.
That's my bigger concern too. I hope so many audio tracks won't damage the quality of the picture.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I count six. There's only one English DD 5.1 track, and that's the HT remix one. Still a lot of tracks, and there's other stuff on Disc 1, and the movie's kind of long. But I don't doubt it will look great. Offhand, Beauty and the Beast may be the only DVD where I think excessive compression resulted in a less-than-perfect picture. And that's when they tried to fit multiple versions of the film, instead of just pretending they did.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Luke wrote:I count six. There's only one English DD 5.1 track, and that's the HT remix one. Still a lot of tracks, and there's other stuff on Disc 1, and the movie's kind of long. But I don't doubt it will look great. Offhand, Beauty and the Beast may be the only DVD where I think excessive compression resulted in a less-than-perfect picture. And that's when they tried to fit multiple versions of the film, instead of just pretending they did.
The Disney sites lists two Dolby 5.1 tracks: the Enhanced Home Theater track and the "original" one.
haagi_de

Post by haagi_de »

Luke wrote:I count six. There's only one English DD 5.1 track, and that's the HT remix one. Still a lot of tracks, and there's other stuff on Disc 1, and the movie's kind of long. But I don't doubt it will look great. Offhand, Beauty and the Beast may be the only DVD where I think excessive compression resulted in a less-than-perfect picture. And that's when they tried to fit multiple versions of the film, instead of just pretending they did.
I agree for BatB; and one thinks they would have taken comments like yours (since I did hear/see that pretty often) to account, still:
disneyvideos.disney.go.com wrote:Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, Dolby Digital 2.0 Original Theatrical Mix, Dolby Digital 2.0 Enhanced Mix, Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix, French (Dolby 5.1 Digital), Spanish (Dolby 5.1 Digital)
Yet, I don't know whether or not they provide reliable information... :?
btw: I've come over the enhanced home theatre mix only once by now, and that was with the German version of TLK. That one had the EHTM in DTS. Was that a one time thing? Haven't heard about that feature before.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

haagi_de wrote:Yet, I don't know whether or not they provide reliable information... :?
btw: I've come over the enhanced home theatre mix only once by now, and that was with the German version of TLK. That one had the EHTM in DTS. Was that a one time thing? Haven't heard about that feature before.
The Lion King was the first Enhanced Home Theater Mix. DTS overseas, but just DD 5.1 here.

Since then, we've had other Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix (DEHTM!) titles announced, but not yet released: Aladdin, Mulan, Mary Poppins, Bambi.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

"Pocahontas" and "Cinderella" are probably getting an EHT track as well, at least in the US.

It seems the international versions of "Mulan" aren't getting the home theater track. Is Disney going to keep it limited for its Platinum releases?
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Slightly revised coverart:
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

haagi_de,

Thanks for letting us know about the trailer that is posted at Disney. It looks like they really fixed the colors this time around when compared with the last DVD version. Thank goodness!! Everything looks great. The blues are true blue and the pinks are true pink!! It's a vast improvement. It looks more like I remember it looking when I saw it at the theatre as a child in 1973. This is going to be fantastic!

The small glimpse at the bonus features they gave looks amazing as well. High class all the way. Oh, boy... I can hardly wait.

Chris
"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

I don´t like the typograhy used on the "2 disc" banner :(
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
Chris
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chris »

I don't like that change in typography either. It looks like a generic box of crackers or something now. I don't think it's the final though. We will probably get more of what we saw on the previous cover art picture. That looks far too cheap for it to be the end version.
"She sailed out of the Disney-blue heavens, umbrella in hand, and promptly elicited every gorgeous adjective in the book from reviewers coast to coast."
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

I am not sure what it is but the cover looks really different but hopefully its just the picture not anything to extreme or I might just be picky who knows. :)
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

I really do not like this cover! it's too plain.
Jordan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jordan »

It can't be the final cover, it seems to computer made.
It's just a preview made for the Internet.

Remember the "2-Disc Set" banner in the posted pic for The Lion King 1 1/2, it was the same : seemed computer made; and, of course, it was not what was used in reality.
Chandler (to Phoebe, over the phone) : Listen, Joey isn't gonna be here tonight so why don't you come over and I'll let you uh.. feel my bicep; or maybe more...
Friends, 5.14 - The One Where Everybody Finds Out
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

I cant wait to get my hands on this one!!

(As with every Animated Disnet DVD)
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

Jordan wrote:It can't be the final cover, it seems to computer made.
It's just a preview made for the Internet.

Remember the "2-Disc Set" banner in the posted pic for The Lion King 1 1/2, it was the same : seemed computer made; and, of course, it was not what was used in reality.
That's because those are only made for retailers to show them the dvd in another way (I guess?). The retailer press site which few sites have acces to always has different covers but there is another press site that always has the final approved cover art (my Buena Vista contact told me this). The final cover art doesn't have the grey side anymore (now it's that dark blue) and the 2-disc set has indeed changed font. The rest stayed the same, except for a few minor beauty changes.
The Disney Database - All the Disney magic in 1 site!
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

MARY POPPINS COVER ART

Post by That1GuyPictures »

The cover art had better be better than this...
the fonts they have chosen have nothing to do with Mary Poppins.
The discs look ok.
I also thought the cover was going to have a brushed alluminum or even a holographic look to it where there is a silver coloration, similar to the new brushed aluminum look of the Star Wars Trilogy, or the colorful holographic covers for the 5-star collection versions of Speed, Independance Day, Sound of Music and Cleopatra. If that is what the covers will look like, I think that would also add to the cover's overall effect. As a graphic designer for my college, I do have to say though that this movie's cover (as well as some other covers for many catalog releases) are very plain, and look very boring compared to many versions I have seen done in the past.
C'mon DISNEY! It's a great set; make the cover art look great too!
Joshua S. Wingfield
Prince Adam
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Adam »

I love this cover art!

The only problem I have is that if something on it has to be a cut-out to the slip cover beneath, I hope it's the kite, and not Mary-otherwise there's too much space underneath (when you "open it like a book") without wording.
Defy Gravity...
That1GuyPictures
Gold Classic Collection

MARY POPPINS COVER ART!

Post by That1GuyPictures »

I AM IN AGONY!!!
Would somebody clarify what the real Mary Poppins Cover Art looks like!?
If it's the design that's on Amazon.com...
I'm gonna be really dissapointed!

And does anybody know if the cover is a cut out or holographic or anything...I keep hearing about one with a dark blue side and have yet to see an image of it? Can somebody post it for the love of PETE, Mickey and all the other classic Di$ney characters!
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I don't how you're getting confused. There's essentially one version of the cover out, and the one posted above just has some very minor tweaks to it. The one on Amazon and the one in the Upcoming Cover Art section of this site are the same, so why are you so confused?
haagi_de

Post by haagi_de »

well I like it (although I'd prefer the non-revised version). It's a nice cover and if it's gonna be a slipcase or metallic look or whatever it's gonna be even better.
We'll all see in December ;)
But most of all we should be glad that they didn't come up with crap like they did for Beauty and the Beast! I also don't like the Aladdin. Mulan SE is OK.
On the other hand, isn't it nice from Disney to help us finding creative output...;)
On that account: is there a place in these forums where you show and trade alternative/user covers?