Encanto

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Encanto

Post by D82 »

Lin-Manuel Miranda Tells Us What Sets Encanto Apart From Other Disney Musicals
https://io9.gizmodo.com/lin-manuel-mira ... 1845936766
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I guess that means that it is not another "road trip" film.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

So often when you get into story mode, it turns into the hero and the quest—and you lose characters, then you lose complexity because everything becomes the quest. And I think what’s been thrilling about this is, since that’s been our mission statement, it’s been really fun to sort of write, you know, musical family dynamics in a really fun and complicated way.
I'm confused as to what this means since the story is about Mirabel's quest to save magic. Obviously, her family won't join her since she's the only one unaffected by this threat and their "last hope". I'm not sure if WDAS is even capable of making anything else other than buddy road trip movies anymore.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

farerb wrote:I guess that means that it is not another "road trip" film.
Either that or all the family goes on a road trip. Either way, it sounds like it's not going to be a typical road trip movie and I'm glad about that.
Sotiris wrote:
So often when you get into story mode, it turns into the hero and the quest—and you lose characters, then you lose complexity because everything becomes the quest. And I think what’s been thrilling about this is, since that’s been our mission statement, it’s been really fun to sort of write, you know, musical family dynamics in a really fun and complicated way.
I'm confused as to what this means since the story is about Mirabel's quest to save magic. Obviously, her family won't join her since she's the only one unaffected by this threat and their "last hope". I'm not sure if WDAS is even capable of making anything else other than buddy road trip movies anymore.
I think it's possible her family joins her in her adventure. Even if they don't have powers anymore, they could still be of help. But it's also possible there's no road trip and most of the film takes place in the house, for example. Or that there are two parallel stories happening at the same time: Mirabel's quest and the rest of the family facing some problem in the house or something like that.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I think it's possible her family joins her in her adventure. Even if they don't have powers anymore, they could still be of help.
I'm not so sure about that. While it's possible to have the entire family go on a road trip like in The Croods or Connected, I don't think that works when you have a story where the Chosen One goes on a quest to save the rest of their family or community. I can see her sister who is the golden child, but insecure pairing up with Mirabel who's the black sheep, but confident. The contrast in personality is the go-to approach in buddy road trip flicks.
D82 wrote:But it's also possible there's no road trip and most of the film takes place in the house.
Like exploring a haunted house or having different doors lead to different places? To be honest, I'm not particularly fond of either scenario.
D82 wrote:Or that there are two parallel stories happening at the same time: Mirabel's quest and the rest of the family facing some problem in the house or something like that.
I suppose that could work depending on the execution. It could prove distracting or tiresome to constantly move between parallel stories and locations in the narrative. It makes it harder to focus and invest in the story and can throw off the pacing, especially when it's done awkwardly or in excess.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I hope Olga Merediz will be in this movie !
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Encanto: Stephanie Beatriz Attached To Star In Disney’s Upcoming Animated Film: Exclusive
https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/12/ ... e-beatriz/
We at the Illuminerdi have new details about Encanto including two supporting characters, Dolores and Camilo. Dolores is a 20-year-old Afro-Latina woman. She’s socially awkward and anxious, but she is well-intentioned and honest. Dolores must be a good singer. Camilo is a 16-year-old Afro-Latino boy. He’s a natural performer and storyteller. Camilo isn’t entirely comfortable being himself and is able to do impressive impressions of others. Camilo must be a good singer. Although no one is attached to these roles at this time the characters definitely seem interesting.

The Illuminerdi has also exclusively learned that the lead, Maribel, is intended to be voiced by none other than Stephanie Beatriz, provided the two sides finalize negotiations. Maribel is the lead protagonist and narrator of Encanto.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Wasn't there something about a frenemy relationship turned romance in this film?My guess is Camilo is the love interest. No that can't be, since they're supporting characters. :lol: The description of him sounds interesting; I like the part of him being uncomfortable with himself and hiding behind other people's identities.

Actually, Carlos & Mirabel are a cute name (it made me think of Carlos & Gabrielle from Desperate Houswives, I guess because Mirabel's name has three syllables like Gabrielle, the 'r' sound in the center of both names, and both ending with the same sound).
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It seems that Ines was changed to Dolores and Carlos to Camilo. Dolores went from insecure to awkward and anxious and Camilo's defining trait from telling tall tales to doing impressions. It's surprising they're Afro-Latinos. Ines was supposed to be Mirabel's sister, so maybe Mirabel will be Afro-Latina too. Probably not though for Stephanie Beatriz to be considered for the role. I think either Dolores and Camilo are Mirabel's siblings or half-siblings which means Camilo won't be Mirabel's love interest or more likely Dolores and Camilo are siblings themselves but from a neighboring family which means Camilo will be, in fact, her love interest. It's interesting they changed Camilo from being funny to being uncomfortable in his own skin. It's a departure from the usual cocky male character of the Revival films. I wonder if the rivalry between Mirabel and Camilo has been preserved or if they'll find a different way to approach their potential romance now. As far as the names go, I prefer their previous ones.

I'm not sure how I feel about Stephanie Beatriz as the lead. Her voice is high-pitched and has a nasal quality to it. She doesn't have the most appealing vocal color. Maybe she'll put on a voice, but usually Disney has the lead actors use their natural voices in their movies.

It's funny the article is referring to Mirabel as Maribel. I have a feeling that will happen a lot.
Disney's Divinity

I've apparently seen two films she was in (Ice Age: Collision Course and The Lego Movie 2), but I have no memory of her to go by. I guess we have a pretty good indicator of what Mirabel will look like anyway, since the protagonists often look mostly like their voice actors now.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It seems that Ines was changed to Dolores and Carlos to Camilo. Dolores went from insecure to awkward and anxious and Camilo's defining trait from telling tall tales to doing impressions.
That's quite likely.
Sotiris wrote:It's surprising they're Afro-Latinos.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting that either. I think it's great they're going to represent that group of Colombians and not only the most numerous one.
Sotiris wrote:Ines was supposed to be Mirabel's sister, so maybe Mirabel will be Afro-Latina too. Probably not though for Stephanie Beatriz to be considered for the role. I think either Dolores and Camilo are Mirabel's siblings or half-siblings which means Camilo won't be Mirabel's love interest or more likely Dolores and Camilo are siblings themselves but from a neighboring family which means Camilo will be, in fact, her love interest.
I think it's also possible one of Mirabel's parents will be Afro-Latino and the other won't and some of the children will be darker-skinned than others. But the two options you mentioned sound likely to me too.
Sotiris wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about Stephanie Beatriz as the lead. Her voice is high-pitched and has a nasal quality to it. She doesn't have the most appealing vocal color. Maybe she'll put on a voice, but usually Disney has the lead actors use their natural voices in their movies.
Since the protagonist is just 15, I thought they would cast someone younger. Though casting adults as teenagers is not uncommon in animation.
Sotiris wrote:It's funny the article is referring to Mirabel as Maribel. I have a feeling that will happen a lot.
You already predicted that would happen, but I didn't think it would be so soon.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I honestly don’t know if I can believe this or not. Why would Disney go from casting a fourteen year-old as a teenager than casting a 40-year-to be as a fifteen-year old? If true, the fact that Stephanie Beatriz is in the upcoming IN THE HEIGHTS movie gives me hope that Beatriz will have the singing down. It would be a damn shame that Disney threw away the perfect opportunity for Rachel Zegler as a Disney Princess. Hoping she’s the big sister at least.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I think it's also possible one of Mirabel's parents will be Afro-Latino and the other won't and some of the children will be darker-skinned than others. But the two options you mentioned sound likely to me too.
There's also a third option where Dolores is Mirabel's half-sibling, but Camilo isn't.
D82 wrote:Since the protagonist is just 15, I thought they would cast someone younger. Though casting adults as teenagers is not uncommon in animation.
They aged-up Carlos/Camilo from 15 to 16, so they've probably done the same for Mariana/Mirabel. Both of them having the same age is another indication he's going to be her love interest. I don't mind adults playing teenagers or kids in animation as long as they can pull it off. My consideration is not her age, but the sound of her voice and her acting and singing abilities.
D82 wrote:You already predicted that would happen, but I didn't think it would be so soon.
It's to be expected since Maribel is the most common variant of the two. Disney should have predicted this. If you name a character Tommy, for example, people will naturally confuse it with the more common Tony.
disneyprincess11 wrote:I honestly don’t know if I can believe this or not. Why would Disney go from casting a fourteen year-old as a teenager than casting a 40-year-to be as a fifteen-year old? If true, the fact that Stephanie Beatriz is in the upcoming IN THE HEIGHTS movie gives me hope that Beatriz will have the singing down. It would be a damn shame that Disney threw away the perfect opportunity for Rachel Zegler as a Disney Princess.
I agree; it's a shame they didn't cast Rachel Zegler. She seems much more suitable for the part. I'm not surprised though. Rachel's only real role is West Side Story, a movie LMM had nothing to do with. It's to be expected he'd cast people he already knows and worked with and are probably friends with. LMM didn't only work with Steph on In the Heights movie, but also on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

The first time I took notice of Stephanie Beatriz in anything was on "Brooklyn Nine-Nine", where her character sounds absolutely nothing like her real voice. When I heard her real voice on a talk show, it was so jarring because of how polar opposite it was to her Rosa voice. So she can definitely pull off changing her voice depending on the character. She recently voiced Gosalyn on "DuckTales", so she has experience voicing younger characters.

By the way, Lin-Manuel Miranda plays Melissa Fumero's brother on B99, not Stephanie Beatriz's.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Oh, that was HER as Gossalyn?! :o Okay yeah, Stephanie is perfect for Maribel then!!! :up: :up: :up:
Sotrisis wrote: I'm not surprised though. Rachel's only real role is West Side Story, a movie LMM had nothing to do with.
Yeah, that was my fear too. But, she has gained such a cult following, even before she was cast as WSS. So, I was hoping Disney and LMM would caught her early.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's a clip of her voicing Gosalyn in the new DuckTales. I'm still not convinced she's the right fit for the role, but maybe she'll surprise me.

By the way, the movie is getting a subtitle in French. It will be called La Fantastique Famille Madrigal (=The Fantastic Madrigal Family). It's interesting that most overseas territories are retaining the title Encanto as is instead of translating it.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORlrt4LzMic
Disney's Divinity

@disneyprincess: Her name's Mirabel. :lol:

In regards to the conversation upthread, I understand how Mirabel is going to be mistakenly called Maribel, but personally I prefer Mirabel... :shrug: @Sotiris: I was going to comment on the LMM connection when I first saw she was going to be in the film version of In the Heights and decided against it.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Sotiris wrote:It's interesting that most overseas territories are retaining the title Encanto as is instead of translating it.
I believe this happened with Frozen and Big Hero 6 in some territories, too. For example, in Brazil, Frozen retains its English title with a subtitle translating to "A Frozen Adventure." Same in Portugal, although its subtitle was "The Ice Kingdom."
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:By the way, the movie is getting a subtitle in French. It will be called La Fantastique Famille Madrigal (=The Fantastic Madrigal Family). It's interesting that most overseas territories are retaining the title Encanto as is instead of translating it.

Source: https://twitter.com/disneybrasil/status ... 1008781312
Well, remember that both Frozen and Moana got their subtitles in Spanish and French as well.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Frozen didn't have a subtitle in French.